2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

17 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

We are heading to Baltimore in august to catch friday and Saturday games. Any advice( sightseeing,  food..) . We will be there during thier off day in Baltimore.  Lilshep is looking forward to it . Put in a request to tour white house also. 

Try the Omar Little Shooting Gallary ... it’s a blast. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Whitley should starts.....the regular season in the rotation

His line for two innings was nasty. 12 pitches all for strikes.  Of those 9 were swinging strikes and 3 balls put in play. Yea, spring training and all that, but that's good regardless. 

• Like 1

His line for two innings was nasty. 12 pitches all for strikes.  Of those 9 were swinging strikes and 3 balls put in play. Yea, spring training and all that, but that's good regardless. 

Just watched the replay of his two innings.
Yes, Nido, Thompson, Herrera, McNeil, Lagares, Conforto isn’t exactly a murderer’s row... and a couple of fastballs he blew by them looked right down the middle, very encouraging for a guy’s first appearance in a Spring Training game.

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

throws too many balls but the talent is there

james wins the last spot, making it easier to send whitley down to AAA. whitley has yet to prove he can stay healthy for a full season 

Calling some of those pitches mere "balls" seems to lessen the gravity of how far off they are.

I remember one game a while back where he threw a ball into the stands during warmup. Then he shrugged and nodded at the catcher that he was ready. "Not even in the strike zone's area code? Yeah, just getting it out of my system."

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Calling some of those pitches mere "balls" seems to lessen the gravity of how far off they are.

I remember one game a while back where he threw a ball into the stands during warmup. Then he shrugged and nodded at the catcher that he was ready. "Not even in the strike zone's area code? Yeah, just getting it out of my system."

I like it, keeps the other team honest.

• Haha 1

His first pitch of Spring went over everyones head to the backstop as well.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ichabod said:

What's next? Show me a loss too?

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

nothing personal to 3 putt, but i think it's time to retire "is that good".  it's been a good run, but it's over.

I'm fine with this, but the picture of the fat kid making the eating pussy sign needs to go with them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I like Framber Valdez for all the wrong reasons.

i like calling him "Framberlamps". I've also personally dubbed Cionel Perez, "el Leon" because his latino hair mane is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm fine with this, but the picture of the fat kid making the eating pussy sign needs to go with them. 

agreed, but I'm just waiting for day he shows up on one of these threads - he's our Vincent Valdez, aka the Gap Kid. 

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Keep SMAL. For the love of god kill  “Bregs upping trade value”

... and pre-emptively any and all (Seth) Beer jokes

definitely that. 

and come at me if you think i'm retiring my #HTownPride shtick 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, APMP said:

Juuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside.

So do we call Framber "Wild Thing?"

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No. "Nuke" LaLoosh.

"Word on the street is he has a major league arm but does have some problems with his control." pitch crashes through press box "...Ball one."

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Based on what Machado got and the massive extension Arenado is about to sign, we're going to have make a huge offer to Bregman in the next few seasons.

Yup - Bregs is a big winner today, assuming he stays consistent with what he did last year. SI.com ranked all 100 players and had AB 12 and Arenado 8. The next day, they discussed the overall rankings and this was the first question. These are always subjective but fun to think about and discuss drinking beers.

WHO WOULD YOU RATHER SELL THE FARM FOR: NO. 8 NOLAN ARENADO OR NO. 12 ALEX BREGMAN?

JACK DICKEY: The list is wrong; Alex Bregman is probably a better player than Arenado already. Oh, sure, Arenado has a longer track record and a better glove and is a phenomenal player all the same. But in 2018, at age 24, Bregman had a better offensive season than any Arenado has ever had—with a .286/.394/.532 line and more walks than strikeouts. His superior batting eye positions him well to build on last season’s success, while it’s hard to see much room for growth from Arenado.

i think they'll bring bregs a deal similar to altuve's.  eat into some of these "underpaid" seasons, and ensure long term in houston.  pretty sure he still has 4 more years of team control, so obviously it's not urgent.  but for that reason, it could be effective.

he's from nm, school in louisiana, no reason he wouldn't want to set up shop long term in h.  he seems like a city guy - involved with the rockets and texans games - photos with jj watt, harden, courtside, etc.  and after a couple of years, seems to have a really big chip against the "big payroll" teams like lad, bos, nyy.  it lines up pretty much perfectly.

also, if you read astroball - there was a whole section on why guys like bregman and altuve (undersized, doubted, etc) are surer bets to perform when it counts than the prototypical "5-tool studs" that often don't pan out.  basically they've had to prove themselves for so long.  that every pitch since high school was game 7 of the world series, so when it actually comes, they're ready.  whereas those who've had everything "come easy" for them, might shrink when shit gets real, because they're not used to the adversity.  it's just a theory, but i think there's something to it.

bregman started out shitty, and turned it around.  2017 was better.  2018 was way better.  nobody knows how good he could be, since all his numbers are trending in the right direction, and nothing really indicates "luck" to any significant degree.

it's tough to compare with arenado since we've never seen him outside of coors.  he's a badass and plays great d.  but give me bregs for the next 12 years please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I tried to tell y'all that 4 yrs ago and got laughed at

on draft day, gammons told a story that on bregman's usa team, after their season, the players voted on team mvp, and it was unanimous for bregman.  dansby swanson was on that team, and had just gotten picked 1st, and even he voted for bregman (according to the story).  after i heard that, i wasn't worried.

and i always thought the pedroia comps were a little conservative.  dustin had the one great season and several very good ones, but i always saw more run producing potential in bregman - both hr and rbi.  so far so good.

• Like 1

i was team bregs since he was in hs. damn shame UT baseball fucked it up in a huge way,  UT was his dream school since he was a kid

loved him at lsu and was pumped when he fell to us over dansby. altuve and bregs need to be astros for life.

csb last year when i went to the ut/lsu series, i got so many slaps on the back simply wearing my astro gear. in the stands, so many lsu season ticket holders talked me up. it was great 

Edited by tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

also, if you read astroball - there was a whole section on why guys like bregman and altuve (undersized, doubted, etc) are surer bets to perform when it counts than the prototypical "5-tool studs" that often don't pan out.  basically they've had to prove themselves for so long.  that every pitch since high school was game 7 of the world series, so when it actually comes, they're ready.  whereas those who've had everything "come easy" for them, might shrink when shit gets real, because they're not used to the adversity.  it's just a theory, but i think there's something to it.

Well, that and Altuve's once every 10 year hand-eye coordination.