Urban Meyer's Health Watch

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

I watched the Purdue game and it was a great win for Purdue.  What has happened to the OSU running game?  From what little I have seen, OSU can't run the ball for shit.  Has Dobbins regressed under poor coaching or is because Demetrius Knox is a starter on that putrid OL?  

I am glad we got Stan Drayton,  

Ole Urban getting criticism for lack of red zone success because his starting QB can't run so not a match for Urban's Offense..... SOUNDS FAMILIAR .....reminder of differences when Sam starts  vs Shane 

Quote from Bucknuts article:  "Offensively, the Buckeyes have lost their identity running the football. Meyer’s teams at Ohio State never had a run-pass split where the team didn’t rush the ball at least 100-plus times more than it threw it. This year, the Buckeyes are passing the ball on 52.1 percent of their offensive snaps.

That makes sense given that Dwayne Haskins is under center. Haskins, who some already consider NFL ready, is putting forth record-smashing passing statistics. But Ohio State can’t run the ball. Despite the presence of a pair of 1,000-yard rushers, the Buckeyes are averaging 4.36 yards a carry, which ranks 66th nationally. The Buckeyes have never ranked worse than 20th in that category under Meyer.

To Biddle there’s a simple explanation. 

Meyer's baby is the power spread and zone read and he just refuses to divorce from those principles despite a quarterback who doesn't fit those strengths. For all Haskins' passing abilities, he’s far from a rushing threat while averaging 1.6 yards per carry. To operate the zone read, opponents must respect a quarterback’s ability to keep the football. Haskins simply isn’t fleet nor does he run enough for defenses to respect that option.

That lack of balance hurts Ohio State in the red zone. The Buckeyes failed to convert time and again against Purdue, and that’s a trend. Ohio State sits 117th nationally in red-zone scoring percentage.

“I think Dwayne Haskins is a fish out of water running the zone read,” Biddle said. “It’s like a fake version of the zone read, window dressing. That’s Urban’s bread and butter. They’re still lining up like they’re running the zone read. But it’s not really the zone read, hence the name the zone read. It’s reading the defensive end or whatever his key is and deciding after the snap. They’re not doing any of that.

“Good coaches find a way to adjust their scheme to the strengths of their players. Urban’s not doing that this year even though he’s done it in the past.”

Edited by LTtxfan

Zach Smith cannot stop his Twitter insanity. I admit that I never paid tOSU that much attention before, but WOW. They are all over Brett McMurphy being "unemployed" and a "failed reporter" meanwhile, the psycho they are defending has "Coach" in his Twitter name. He is roid rage personified.

14 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:

Zach Smith cannot stop his Twitter insanity. I admit that I never paid tOSU that much attention before, but WOW. They are all over Brett McMurphy being "unemployed" and a "failed reporter" meanwhile, the psycho they are defending has "Coach" in his Twitter name. He is roid rage personified.

And Smith may drive Urbs to put a gun in his mouth and end it all. It’s all become a shitshow for Urban. 

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Ole Urban getting criticism for lack of red zone success because his starting QB can't run so not a match for Urban's Offense..... SOUNDS FAMILIAR .....reminder of differences when Sam starts  vs Shane 

Quote from Bucknuts article:  "Offensively, the Buckeyes have lost their identity running the football. Meyer’s teams at Ohio State never had a run-pass split where the team didn’t rush the ball at least 100-plus times more than it threw it. This year, the Buckeyes are passing the ball on 52.1 percent of their offensive snaps.

That makes sense given that Dwayne Haskins is under center. Haskins, who some already consider NFL ready, is putting forth record-smashing passing statistics. But Ohio State can’t run the ball. Despite the presence of a pair of 1,000-yard rushers, the Buckeyes are averaging 4.36 yards a carry, which ranks 66th nationally. The Buckeyes have never ranked worse than 20th in that category under Meyer.

To Biddle there’s a simple explanation. 

Meyer's baby is the power spread and zone read and he just refuses to divorce from those principles despite a quarterback who doesn't fit those strengths. For all Haskins' passing abilities, he’s far from a rushing threat while averaging 1.6 yards per carry. To operate the zone read, opponents must respect a quarterback’s ability to keep the football. Haskins simply isn’t fleet nor does he run enough for defenses to respect that option.

That lack of balance hurts Ohio State in the red zone. The Buckeyes failed to convert time and again against Purdue, and that’s a trend. Ohio State sits 117th nationally in red-zone scoring percentage.

“I think Dwayne Haskins is a fish out of water running the zone read,” Biddle said. “It’s like a fake version of the zone read, window dressing. That’s Urban’s bread and butter. They’re still lining up like they’re running the zone read. But it’s not really the zone read, hence the name the zone read. It’s reading the defensive end or whatever his key is and deciding after the snap. They’re not doing any of that.

“Good coaches find a way to adjust their scheme to the strengths of their players. Urban’s not doing that this year even though he’s done it in the past.”

Haskins passing yards comes from screens, jet sweeps, and three yard passes that net a lot of yards after the catch. His passing reminds me of Jalen Hurts passing yards in 2016, except Haskins isn't the runner Hurts is. With OSU not having a competent running game Haskins has a alot of stats with not much to show for the yardage. They beat Ped state with screen passes that they never adjusted to stop.

40 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If Urban leaves tOSU after this season, he'll earn a couple million doing studio work for a year or two, then land another job when a program is desperate enough to win to put up with his bullshit.  Rinse and repeat.

I hope/think that the scandal has severely harmed his image - to the point that a network won't touch him.  He is truly a piece of shit.

Edited by PW119

53 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If Urban leaves tOSU after this season, he'll earn a couple million doing studio work for a year or two, then land another job when a program is desperate enough to win to put up with his bullshit.  Rinse and repeat.

Interesting take. I don’t know, seems like the scandal may have tarnished him for good as far TV job.  He may be better suited for NFL for a couple years then come back to CFB, IF he is not at tOSU. 

17 minutes ago, PW119 said:

I hope/think that the scandal has severely harmed his image - to the point that a network won't touch him.  He is truly a piece of shit.

7 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Interesting take. I don’t know, seems like the scandal may have tarnished him for good as far TV job.  He may be better suited for NFL for a couple years then come back to CFB, IF he is not at tOSU. 

Fine.  Whatever he does, he'll have a transition year or two, during which he'll likely living off a handsome buyout, and will be back in coaching in relatively short order.

• Like 1

Urban Meyer: +125
Matt Campbell: +150
Ryan Day: 10-to-1
Bob Stoops: 10-to-1
Jeff Brohm: 10-to-1
Pat Fitzgerald: 12-to-1
Mike Gundy: 16-to-1
Brian Kelly: 16-to-1
Lane Kiffin: 18-to-1
Dino Babers: 18-to-1
Tom Herman: 20-to-1
Mike Vrabel: 20-to-1
Jim Harbaugh: 40-to-1
Bill Belichick: 50-to-1

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

So Urban to aggy in a couple?  Sounds about right. Could work...

It wouldn't take long for him to figure out (in collie town) his heart's just not into it. Costing aggy another 10's of millions and 3-4 years of "finding the last peices".

On 10/24/2018 at 9:46 AM, Bill Lumbergh said:

Ray Lewis has been employed both by ESPN formerly and FS1 currently.  I'm not sure Meyer will scare them. 

Dats a fac jac!

Standards are not skrong to very not skrong in the realm of talking heads.

Surprised but not disappointed Dickeater has been under the broadcast radar.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:58 PM, Gaffords said:

So Urban to aggy in a couple?  Sounds about right. Could work...

It wouldn't take long for him to figure out (in collie town) his heart's just not into it. Costing aggy another 10's of millions and 3-4 years of "finding the last peices".

Could aggy afford Urban after buying out Jimbo and Rumlin?

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Reporter: coach, can you say for sure you'll be back next year at Ohio State?

Meyer: yes. 

Reporter: coach, when you say for sure you'll be back at Ohio State next year, is this possibly another instance where when speaking to the press you're misremembering information you previously had full knowledge of? 

Meyer: ... 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Sure, I believe that.  He has a brain cyst that causes him to collapse on the sidelines be he keeps coaching.  M'kay.

He allegedly has a condition that causes him to forget random things (things he previously knew deep details about) at pretty much any given moment, yet he continues to coach.

Feels like that might be a problematic condition for a person in that particular profession. 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:28 AM, South Austin said:

Fine.  Whatever he does, he'll have a transition year or two, during which he'll likely living off a handsome buyout, and will be back in coaching in relatively short order.

With how things are going at FSU, I wouldn’t doubt a shot of Urban to the Seminoles as out of the question...

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Are they sure that it isn't a brain cloud?  He should get some really good luggage, or a second opinion.  Or, he could go ahead and jump into a volcano.