2018 World Series - Red Sox v Dodgers

dbecks

Am I missing some sort of logic here?

Look, I get it’s not going to happen. But the reality is that he’s at the point where is isn’t worth what he’s getting paid. He’s a power pitcher on the wrong side of the hill and he’s not going to turn into a guy that can paint the corners all of a sudden.

People will argue that LA has to pay to keep him because of everything he’s done for the organization, but it’ll likely be a bad deal that will only hurt the team by tying up dollars in a figurehead instead of investing them in making the club better.

If he’s serious about winning a ring he should take less money and let the club bring in more talent.

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

People will argue that LA has to pay to keep him because of everything he’s done for the organization, but it’ll likely be a bad deal that will only hurt the team by tying up dollars in a figurehead instead of investing them in making the club better.

Lulz, the dodgers have literally unlimited money.  Kershaw's contract won't keep them from bringing anyone in.

Edited by WBT

13 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Look, I get it’s not going to happen. But the reality is that he’s at the point where is isn’t worth what he’s getting paid. He’s a power pitcher on the wrong side of the hill and he’s not going to turn into a guy that can paint the corners all of a sudden.

If he’s serious about winning a ring he should take less money and let the club bring in more talent.

Are you for real?

Do you realize that there's not a salary cap?  Do you not realize that the Dodgers are pulling in over $400M in revenue each season?

Well, that was a fun World Series. Actually, no it wasn't. Epic game 3 but other than that pretty much what the expected outcome is, Red Sox rout.
I don't even think game 3 was that epic. It was just long as fuck with shitty offense. Epic was game 5 last year. Might be one of the craziest baseball games I've ever seen.

This series was not even that intriguing besides a few moments. If LA could held on to a 4 run lead, then this could have gotten very interesting. Now, it's done with.
  • Like 1

No salary cap, but there is a luxury tax and the Dodgers are always flirting with it. They were in the 50% penalty phase, which is why they dumped a shit load of players for old man Matt Kemp. They got back under it, but not by much. They have a lot of resources, but they can’t stay in the 50% penalty tier in perpetuity.

Sale’s shoulder definitely isn’t at 100%, but his dugout demeanor is at an all-time high, apparently.

Chris Sale motivated his teammates by screaming in the Red Sox dugout. And he also scared Rafael Devers.
"It scared me a little bit because I had never seen him yell like that and the words that he was saying, I had never heard that come from him before," Devers said.

9 hours ago, RichUT said:

No salary cap, but there is a luxury tax and the Dodgers are always flirting with it. They were in the 50% penalty phase, which is why they dumped a shit load of players for old man Matt Kemp. They got back under it, but not by much. They have a lot of resources, but they can’t stay in the 50% penalty tier in perpetuity.

This resets the cap penalties.  So now they can blow through it again.  By staying under for one year, they now reset the penalty percentage, whatever it is.  So they will abuse the shit out of it next year.

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't even think game 3 was that epic. It was just long as fuck with shitty offense. Epic was game 5 last year. Might be one of the craziest baseball games I've ever seen.

This series was not even that intriguing besides a few moments. If LA could held on to a 4 run lead, then this could have gotten very interesting. Now, it's done with.

yeah this post season has been ass my dude 

In the last 40 World Series games where a team has been up by 4 at any point, teams are now 38-2.  The last time a team was up by 4 or more runs and lost that wasn't named the Dodgers was the 2005 World Series game 3 in Houston.

2018 Game 4 Red Sox lead 9-4, Red Sox win 9-6
2018 Game 4 Dodgers lead 4-0, Dodgers lose 6-9
2018 Game 1 Red Sox lead 8-4, Red Sox win 8-4
2017 Game 7 Astros lead 5-0, Astros win 5-1
2017 Game 5 Dodgers lead 4-0, Dodgers lose 12-13
2017 Game 4 Dodgers lead 6-1, Dodgers win 6-2
2017 Game 3 Astros lead 4-0, Astros win 5-3
2016 Game 7 Cubs lead 6-2, Cubs win 8-7
2016 Game 6 Cubs lead 7-0, Cubs win 9-3
2016 Game 4 Indians lead 7-1, Indians win 7-2
2016 Game 2 Cubs lead 5-0, Cubs win 5-1
2016 Game 1 Indians lead 6-0, Indians win 6-0
2015 Game 5 Royals lead 7-2, Royals win 7-2
2015 Game 3 Mets lead 9-3, Mets win 9-3
2015 Game 2 Royals lead 7-1, Royals win 7-1
2014 Game 6 Royals led 7-0, Royals win 10-0
2014 Game 5 Giants led 5-0, Giants win 5-0
2014 Game 4 Giants led 11-4, Giants win 11-4
2014 Game 2 Royals led 7-2, Royals win 7-2
2014 Game 1 Giants led 5-0, Giants win 7-1
2013 Game 6 Red Sox led 6-0, Red Sox win 6-1
2013 Game 1 Red Sox led 5-0, Red Sox win 8-1
2012 Game 1 Giants led 4-0, Giants win 8-3
2011 Game 7 Cardinals led 6-2, Cardinals win 6-2
2011 Game 4 Rangers led 4-0, Ranges win 4-0
2011 Game 3 Cardinals led 5-0, Cardinals win 16-7
2010 Game 4 Giants led 4-0, Giants win 4-0
2010 Game 3 Rangers led 4-0, Rangers win 4-2
2010 Game 2 Giants led 9-0, Giants win 9-0
2010 Game 1 Giants led 8-2, Giants win 11-7
2009 Game 6 Yankees led 7-1, Yankees win 7-3
2009 Game 5 Phillies led 6-1, Phillies win 8-6
2009 Game 3 Yankees led 8-4, Yankees win 8-5
2009 Game 1 Phillies led 6-0, Phillies win 6-1
2008 Game 4 Phillies led 5-1, Phillies win 10-2
2008 Game 2 Rays led 4-0, Rays win 4-2
2007 Game 3 Red Sox led 6-0, Red Sox win 10-5
2007 Game 1 Red Sox led 6-1, Red Sox win 13-1
2006 Game 3 Cardinals lead 4-0, Cardinals win 5-0
2006 Game 1 Cardinals lead 7-1, Cardinals win 7-2
2005 Game 3 Astros lead 4-0, Astros lose 5-7

• Like 2

You have to go back to the 2002 World Series game 6 when the Giants led 5-0 and were 8 outs away from clinching the World Series when they gave up 6 runs across the 7th & 8th innings to lose and then would ultimately go on to also lose Game 7 to find a worse setup.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

In the last 40 World Series games where a team has been up by 4 at any point, teams are now 38-2.  The last time a team was up by 4 or more runs and lost that wasn't named the Dodgers was the 2005 World Series game 3 in Houston.

Triggered.  I was there

• Like 1

I guess those are reasons but he also pitched Friday night and warmed up two or three times last night.  I think it would make more sense to throw Pomeranz tonight and have Price and Sale ready on normal rest in Boston, only needing to win one out of the two.

Edited by WBT

I guess those are reasons but he also pitched Friday night and warmed up two or three times last night.  I think it would make more sense to throw Pomeranz tonight and have Price and Sale ready on normal rest in Boston, only needing to win one out of the two.

Pomeranz is only in case a game goes 19 innings. The dude hasn’t pitched since September (and was horrible).
  • Like 1

Pomeranz hasn’t pitched in the month of October...and that includes not being able to get in a 7 hr 20 min game.

I sense Cora would prefer Pomeranz not pitch until 2019.
  • Like 1

What if Pomeranz had been like he was in '16 /'17?  What if Steven Wright pitched like 2016?  Those two guys combine for more than 15 starts this season and the Sox win 120 games, not 108.  

as it sits right now, I think this series is going back to Boston.  

What if Pomeranz had been like he was in '16 /'17?  What if Steven Wright pitched like 2016?  Those two guys combine for more than 15 starts this season and the Sox win 120 games, not 108.  

as it sits right now, I think this series is going back to Boston.  

What if the 2018 Astros had 1986 Mike Scott, 2017 José Altuve’s knee and 2017 Carlos Correa’s back?

I’m thinking maaaaybe 4 losses.

So in conclusion, your aunt is your uncle