The games are rigged.

Zavala

Again it isn’t rigged its incompetent. That said it’s time to publicly demand better. Texas really should demand that officials face the media after games. It’s a crime that even college students on the field may have to face that accountability and nobody in the stripes has to.

“Explain how you called a horse collar in the pocket when that isn’t a penalty under the rules?”

Just the idea of that exchange would demand that these guys be a whole lot fucking better.

And it cuts both ways

“Exactly what did you see that lead to you ejecting that WVU player? There didn’t appear to be a punch there and nothing carried out. What drove you to make that call?”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Again it isn’t rigged its incompetent. That said it’s time to publicly demand better. Texas really should demand that officials face the media after games. It’s a crime that even college students on the field may have to face that accountability and nobody in the stripes has to.

“Explain how you called a horse collar in the pocket when that isn’t a penalty under the rules?”

Just the idea of that exchange would demand that these guys be a whole lot fucking better.

And it cuts both ways

“Exactly what did you see that lead to you ejecting that WVU player? There didn’t appear to be a punch there and nothing carried out. What drove you to make that call?”

The NBA does something hilarious in their "two min report" where they finesse all the bad calls and even skip over some of them, and explain every call.

We don't need them to be doing interviews, just need to hire competent ones. I thought it was Walt Anderson's deal but he's gone now, and they still suck total shit.

46 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And it cuts both ways

was the horsecollar in the pocket?  i was at the game and couldn't tell.  if so that is just ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Really surprised we made it out of this game with a W with this particular officiating crew at Tech.

I'm re watching now, was out of town for the game and didn't watch very closely. There has been about 4 flags thrown and a video review in the first 4 mins of the game. The video review is of a tech player tackled about 3 yards short of the line to gain that they called a first down. These SEC announcers sound very confused. 

Edited by Zavala

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm 42 years old and I've watched football since I was a toddler.  I've never seen anything like last night.

The overturned interception was wrong; there was nothing conclusive on replay showing Mond's knee was actually down while he had the ball.  The 4th down conversion was two feet short.  The spike was an illegal formation.  The catch and fumble was exactly that - he controlled it and took two steps then got it knocked out.  All of the plays above when aggy had the ball were not even reviewed.  The only one that was reviewed was to take a game-sealing interception away from LSU, and on inconclusive video at that.  Oh, and before this shit storm started, aggy was called for one penalty the whole game.  And of course they got a critical bullshit PI call in OT.

No one will ever convince me that the SEC officials weren't ordered to do everything they could think of to help aggy win.  The SEC knows damn well that Texas returning to prominence hurts the recruiting of several SEC schools and the best way to combat that is to help aggy get a leg up themselves.  And they also helped turn a clunker of a game into "the most exciting clash evar, look how insane it is to play in the SEC, kids!!"

Fucking ridiculous nonsense.  SEC football is about as legit as the NBA playoffs.

2 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

The rest of the calls or no calls were ridiculous but it turns out they actually got this one right. The yellow line was on the 41 but the line to gain was actually the 43.

Yeah that one was actually right, but the rest ... just wow. I'm in the same boat re: the knee on the interception. There was nothing conclusive in the video to overturn and say his knee was definitely down when he had possession.

And on the pass after the 4th & 18 completion, the ref marked him OB even though his knee was down when he was still 2 yards from the sideline. He stretched after that to get the ball to the sideline.

And then let's just pretend none of that shit ever happened. LSU gets a lead in OT and forces an obvious fumble. Game over, right? Nope.

It's incredible the number of things that were gotten completely wrong and weren't reviewed in order for aggy to win that sham.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm 42 years old and I've watched football since I was a toddler.  I've never seen anything like last night.

The overturned interception was wrong; there was nothing conclusive on replay showing Mond's knee was actually down while he had the ball.  The 4th down conversion was two feet short.  The spike was an illegal formation.  The catch and fumble was exactly that - he controlled it and took two steps then got it knocked out.  All of the plays above when aggy had the ball were not even reviewed.  The only one that was reviewed was to take a game-sealing interception away from LSU, and on inconclusive video at that.  Oh, and before this shit storm started, aggy was called for one penalty the whole game.  And of course they got a critical bullshit PI call in OT.

No one will ever convince me that the SEC officials weren't ordered to do everything they could think of to help aggy win.  The SEC knows damn well that Texas returning to prominence hurts the recruiting of several SEC schools and the best way to combat that is to help aggy get a leg up themselves.  And they also helped turn a clunker of a game into "the most exciting clash evar, look how insane it is to play in the SEC, kids!!"

Fucking ridiculous nonsense.  SEC football is about as legit as the NBA playoffs.

This post

homerun.gif

clap.gif

wow.gif

bravo sir

And on the pass after the 4th & 18 completion, the ref marked him OB even though his knee was down when he was still 2 yards from the sideline. He stretched after that to get the ball to the sideline.

Although it did look like the official signaled out of bounds, they actually called him down in bounds. That was why they had to spike it on the next play.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

The fumble is the most egregious.  That's not even close, it's a fumble.  I think they got the others wrong, but you can tell me there's judgement differences there.  Not on the fumble. 

didn't get to watch the aggy game last night. jesus. 

did watch horns KU first half and felt the calls there were terrible (And all pro-Texas). 

expecting a beating against the Sooners next weekend

Fixed? its something. been that way for some years. someone will retire and write a book soon hopefully. :( it does make me give two less shits thats for sure. OSU 3 years back put me down.

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. So what's this about spiking the ball being illegal with 3 seconds or less left on the clock? I've never heard of it before this. Have you?

That complaint is wrong, also.  Very close, but wrong.  The official rule says with three or more seconds you can spike, under the you cannot.  The clock had three seconds on the snap. 

I wish someone would write a book on all the crappy officiating over the years, across all sports and leagues.  I tried to find something about the 74 Baylor game and all I could find were baylor posted articles about the miracle on the brazos which of course didn't mention any bad calls.  A few comments in threads like this spread across the net. 

Point is years from now, this will by and large be forgotten, and the OTs and final score will be remembered.  It seems to happen time after time this way.  We shrug it off as simply horrible officiating.  It is only a game,  right?  Some chronicle that cites credible sources reporting on the events would be pretty powerful in pushing towards a better system of officiating. 

Edited by pyrohornIII
Staboned beat me to it

Actually, I take that back, the fumble isn't the most egregious.  The most egregious is aggy running that many plays, with a ton of rushes, for three total penalties in what amounts to 11 quarters.

aggy was averaging 6 penalties in four quarter games, but somehow halfs that in nearly 3x the play.  Right. 

Taken together with the knee on the interception, the fumble, and the pi, you're being willfully ignorant if you don't see shenanigans.

giphy.gif

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

There’s too much gray area with the current review process. I think that’s the biggest issue. No one can be certain when something will be reviewed. For example, the first onside kick against Kansas. Yes our hands team kind of fucked up. But the jayhawk dude never possessed the ball. He just fell on top of it. We actually had posession but the play was not reviewed. Yet, the refs did review a pass completion a couple plays later. Makes no sense.

There’s too much gray area with the current review process. I think that’s the biggest issue. No one can be certain when something will be reviewed. For example, the first onside kick against Kansas. Yes our hands team kind of fucked up. But the jayhawk dude never possessed the ball. He just fell on top of it. We actually had posession but the play was not reviewed. Yet, the refs did review a pass completion a couple plays later. Makes no sense.

Instant replay was supposed to make sure the refs “get it right.” It’s a complete fail. All the current system does is slow down the game without adding value. Actually it makes it worse because of the non calls that get called in the booth, after the fact.

3 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Instant replay was supposed to make sure the refs “get it right.” It’s a complete fail. All the current system does is slow down the game without adding value. Actually it makes it worse because of the non calls that get called in the booth, after the fact.

LSU boards claim coach O didn't challenge the fumble call bc the in the field refs told him not to waste his time out bc it had already been checked in the booth. 

If so, that seems like a checks and balances issue and it's coach o's fault for not challenging anyway.  The on the field refs should have no part of advising a coach whether to send their on the field call to the booth for review. 

9 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Spends more time reviewing inconclusive targeting calls and making incorrect calls that effect a team into the next game than officiating the game at hand. 

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

LSU boards claim coach O didn't challenge the fumble call bc the in the field refs told him not to waste his time out bc it had already been checked in the booth. 

If so, that seems like a checks and balances issue and it's coach o's fault for not challenging anyway.  The on the field refs should have no part of advising a coach whether to send their on the field call to the booth for review. 

This makes it more interesting because there were several camera angles of that play that clearly showed it was a fumble.  I agree, he should have challenged despite the refs comments.  I mean, if they could reverse aggy's game-losing interception with a single angle replay, coach ogre should have challenged the play.

19 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Agree. Most of the calls that get reviewed are so close they could go either way. All replay has done is convince us we don't know what's a reception. 

the booth should be quicker on stopping play for questionable calls. these plays where the offense knows they got the benefit of a bad call and run up to the line and snap the ball, we all know before they snap the ball the call was questionable. the booth should be stopping play on these calls.

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

the booth should be quicker on stopping play for questionable calls. these plays where the offense knows they got the benefit of a bad call and run up to the line and snap the ball, we all know before they snap the ball the call was questionable. the booth should be stopping play on these calls.

este.

Meh, aggy and LSU game was hilarious. Some nerds should be developing refereeing by AI/IoT. It would break the game with the holding calls that are currently missed, though. Fun problem to think about. Training the network for new rules would be interesting, and would still leave room for human error. And what happens if the network is unreliable during a game? Back to human refs? /geekramble

I'm still of the opinion that this is incompetence and not outright rigging, but damn if last night wasn't odd....and let me say I don't buy the whole "let's rig this for aggy because Texas is back" line..again that''s just too much collaboration and execution to pull off for one game. 

What I do start to wonder now is if in general these officials are being told things on a regular basis like "we want to make sure we keep these things exciting."  While no specific "do this, do that" instructions are ever given with regard to a certain team subtle comments like that creep in to the back of their mindes when they have a chance to keep things exciting and then you get this.  

Edited by Surly Bevo