Don Lemon has a bit of a PR pickle

Parliament

17 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Lemon is pretty awful.  But his comment that precipitated this thread wasn't wrong.

(and I'm not a liberal)

Other than that he made it in the very next sentence he spoke after claiming we have to stop demonizing people.  That's the part everyone is missing and why his comment was idiotic.  If you are going to say we have to stop demonizing people you probably shouldn't demonize people with the very next words that come out of your pie hole.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can someone tell me if the Austin City bomber was a white guy or a black guy? I can’t remember.

Isnt it amazing how women never have the same mental illness that causes men to go on mass murder sprees.  

Maybe we should rethink the whole “bitches be crazy” thing.

Crazy YouTube/Google shooter from last winter would have been happy to rethink with you.

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If we want to talk about terrorism and America, let's get fucking real. Its not contemporary wypipo you need to perseverate on. The foundations of this country are fucking genocide and racism. America ain't all it's cracked up to be. Don Lemon out front should have told ya. 

The foundations of every country founded in the 18th century or earlier contain racism and genocide.  Countries then typically could not acquire territory without killing the people who were currently living on that territory first.

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Sigh, you don’t need a government solution.  

The conservative leaders, oh wait, there are none...so never mind.

Well, if there were, they would call out the Soros bullshit, the caravan bullshit, the Alex Jones bullshit, Qanon bullshit, and Hannity bullshit. 

They would do it every day on repeat... over and over again. 

Make these fools pariahs so no one takes them seriously EVER. 

Not until the people on the left who are using the same tactics get the same kind of treatment from the media.  Compromise does not mean give us every thing we want and we will leave you alone.  That is coercion not compromise.

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

The foundations of every country founded in the 18th century or earlier contain racism and genocide.  Countries then typically could not acquire territory without killing the people who were currently living on that territory first.

So then let’s all vote for trump. 

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If we want to talk about terrorism and America, let's get fucking real. Its not contemporary wypipo you need to perseverate on. The foundations of this country are fucking genocide and racism. America ain't all it's cracked up to be. Don Lemon out front should have told ya. 

Such an Anastasis take. “America has always been bad, therefore, whatever.  Everyone is overreacting but me because I’m too jaded to give a shit about anything except pointing out that America is shit. Also, attempts at making things better are worthless endeavors. Jokes on you for trying.  Suckers.”

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Such an Anastasis take. “America has always been bad, therefore, whatever.  Everyone is overreacting but me because I’m too jaded to give a shit about anything except pointing out that America is shit. Also, attempts at making things better are worthless endeavors. Jokes on you for trying.  Suckers.”

Good point. There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging the faults of the past, but to attempt to project values on today on people 250 years before is asinine. The founding fathers of this country were flawed like we all were and are, and would today being even considered more flawed, but back then when they lived they were fucking visionary saints compared to the rabble in the rest of the world. And created a great country that certain people are now trying to destroy. And that’s what ultimately matters.

Edited by JimmyJames

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Good point. There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging the faults of the past, but to attempt to project values on today on people 250 years before is asinine. The founding fathers of this country were flawed like we all were, and would today being even considered more flawed, but back then when they lived they were fucking visionary saints compared to the rabble in the rest of the world. And created a great country that certain people are now trying to destroy. And that’s what ultimately matters.

We had the happy fortune to be on a relatively isolated and protected continent during one of the more recent darker periods of warfare during the last century.  We parlayed that into global hegemony in the aftermath of that conflict.  We did so largely by undermining the principles that we claim serve as the foundation of our "great nation", namely democracy, freedom, and self determination of people endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.  We occupy no moral high ground. And these are not actions from distant centuries.  American exceptionalism is a nationalistic mythology, one that we find convenient when it reassures of us our unique place in the history of the world, a land founded by visionary saints walking amongst the rabble of the rest of the world.  When in reality we are just collection of people looking out for their own interests, more fortunate than most only cause we have better aircraft carriers and cruise missiles to reassure us of our goodness and morality.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We had the happy fortune to be on a relatively isolated and protected continent during one of the more recent darker periods of warfare during the last century.  We parlayed that into global hegemony in the aftermath of that conflict.  We did so largely by undermining the principles that we claim serve as the foundation of our "great nation", namely democracy, freedom, and self determination of people endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.  We occupy no moral high ground. And these are not actions from distant centuries.  American exceptionalism is a nationalistic mythology, one that we find convenient when it reassures of us our unique place in the history of the world, a land founded by visionary saints walking amongst the rabble of the rest of the world.  When in reality we are just collection of people looking out for their own interests, more fortunate than most only cause we have better aircraft carriers and cruise missiles to reassure us of our goodness and morality.   

Well that is definitely a glass half empty way to look at it. Another way to look at it would be that if it wasn’t for the principles the country was founded on we wouldn’t have ever had the opportunity to assert global hememony on a globe that was clearly asking for it by trying to destroy itself. 

What’s happened since then, culminating in the election of trump, is a disgrace though. I’ll grant you that. Time to reverse that. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 1

Well that is definitely a glass half empty way to look at it. Another way to look at it would be that if it wasn’t for the principles the country was founded on we wouldn’t have ever had the opportunity to assert global hememony on a globe that was clearly asking for it by trying to destroy itself. 

That's not another way to look at it.  That's another way to delude yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That's not another way to look at it.  That's another way to delude yourself. 

So you believe the founding fathers were not unique? Have I got that right from you? Because they didnt’ have to create the country they did. It could have been Brazil. 

Edited by JimmyJames

There is no way America was ever going to live up to the values we projected.  What’s important is that we projected them and worked towards exemplifying them.

America was never and will never be a perfect union.  But we are supposed to work towards making it one.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

So you believe the founding fathers were not unique? Have I got that right from you? Because they didnt’ have to create the country they did. It could have been Brazil. 

I think that they were brilliant and brave individuals. And their brilliance resonates very little in our modern culture and political environment. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There is no way America was ever going to live up to the values we projected.  What’s important is that we projected them and work towards exemplifying them.

America was never and will never be a perfect union.  But we are supposed to work towards making it one.

Exactly and of course. The perfect union on this world will never exist. It’s the work towards it. We do that for awhile, take a step back, and then work towards it again. Trump’s presidency is just another example of that.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I think that they were brilliant and brave individuals. And their brilliance resonates very little in our modern culture and political environment. 

Perhaps. But it’s a foundation that leads to a potentially positive outcome. The foundation is important. Critical actuallly. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Perhaps. But it’s a foundation that leads to a potentially positive outcome. The foundation is important. Critical actuallly. 

I feel like we are coming full circle. The foundation that this country was built upon was slavery and genocide. You told me that stuff was centuries ago and we can look past it, but tell me now that it is crucial. I think we agree. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I feel like we are coming full circle. The foundation that this country was built upon was slavery and genocide. You told me that stuff was centuries ago and we can look past it, but tell me now that it is crucial. I think we agree. 

The foundation of this Country was its constitution, and yes that at first included slavery and ultimately genocide happened as well. 3/5, manifest destiny, all of that, for both good and bad. Slavery is gone, and the genocide is done. Nothing can change that now.  Most everyone on this board has at least a few distant relatives affected by that on, gulp, both sides. And everyone on this board played no part in any of that.

In order to come full circle we all should acknowledge that, and try to get past the divisive issues relating to race, creed, and “team.”

I don’t see trump leading us down that path, in fact the exact opposite.  Maybe we should look to leaders who believe in objective truth and reject liars. That would be my preference anyway. 

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah but tucker and Mitch are having problems eating $500 steakhouse dinners out lately. They are having to pay their own cooks fucking overtime for Christ sake! 

So it’s all the fault of lefty mobs not jobs. 

On 10/31/2018 at 8:11 PM, David Dennison said:

Probably because most violent crimes are not committed by African Americans.

But what about the violentest of violent crimes?

"The rate at which crime is committed varies greatly between racial groups. While most homicides in the United States are intraracial—the perpetrator and victim are of the same race—the rates at which African Americans (blacks) both commit and are the victim of homicide is about six to eight times higher than that of white Americans. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

But what about the violentest of violent crimes?

"The rate at which crime is committed varies greatly between racial groups. While most homicides in the United States are intraracial—the perpetrator and victim are of the same race—the rates at which African Americans (blacks) both commit and are the victim of homicide is about six to eight times higher than that of white Americans. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States

What about the most spectacular of the violentest of violent crimes? Sandy Hook, Columbine, Parkland, Las Vegas, Thousand Oaks, Charleston. It goes on and on and on.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What about the most spectacular of the violentest of violent crimes? Sandy Hook, Columbine, Parkland, Las Vegas, Thousand Oaks, Charleston. It goes on and on and on.

Yep, and so does Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit, Oakland, etc.  Day in and day out, 24/7.  On and on...

It's all shitty, but back to your soap box.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

We get it, Tahoe, you think black people are inferior. Now shut the fuck up and move on.

Tahoe? Lulz.  Wish my pop was still alive so I could tell him what a bozo he was naming his "racist" son after a black jazz musician.

It's a crazy world.  Someone ought to sell tickets...

"Lemon" was actually my dad's 3rd choice of first names for me.  The others were "Tyrone", "Leroy", and "Waddell".  I shit you not.

Edited by Cajun