Texas @ Texas Tech 6:30 on Fox

MirrOlure

5 hours ago, slorch said:

It is exactly because of the social climate in college football, that what you posted was out of line, especially for a coach with zero history substantiating any such allegations.  For all of Kliff’s opportunities, he’s been solid on that front

Carry on...

WTF are you talking about, out of line?

I posed a hypothetical, and said if that happened it would be an issue. Not that it had happened or is going to happen. It was in response to other posters (Texas posters) spitballing that Bowman might play - I was offering why it was unlikely, because it would be irresponsible and could lead to him getting fired. I offered another reason in my follow up (about protecting Bowman for the future) as another reason he's unlikely to play.

I guess you took that as me stating the opposite - that Kingsbury WOULD play him. Go back and re-read, and you'll see I never said that. 

17 hours ago, El Squared said:

Somewhat wrong- do not need MRi, CT scan is plenty. Blood clots can be ruled in or ruled out within a few minutes by CT chest on a PE protocol, don't know where the "30 day" observation period comes from, but it doesn't come from medical practice.

That being said, it would be irresponsible to put Bowman out there with a known history recurrent pneumothorax--which is what he had. At least not for 6 weeks, when the regular season would be over.

As you failed to offer your credentials it would be foolish to debate this in the time tested methods of the internet, because you know we all have google and we all know how these type of posts turn out. My post was a spur of the moment based on my own experience, and after just finishing rewatching the Tech ou game and seeing this thread.

But I can’t help but laugh that you didn’t realize you “somewhat” contradicted your yourself, don’t you? My 30 days is not from medical practice, but your 6 weeks is, geez dude. 

However until you prove that you have better credentials then I......fuck you.....I stand by what I posted.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Believe it or not, the strength of this offense is throwing the ball on short and intermediate routes.

Believe it or not, this coaching staff is capable of scheming against opposing teams' weaknesses and protecting a suspect defense by burning clock.

Whether or not they actually try to implement this strategy is a whole different debate.

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Believe it or not, this coaching staff is capable of scheming against opposing teams' weaknesses and protecting a suspect defense by burning clock.

Whether or not they actually try to implement this strategy is a whole different debate.

well since pass defense is Tech's weakness, a ball control running game may not be needed... 

1 minute ago, BluTechsan said:

I wrote the above before reading about Johnson's injury - I'll stand by my statement - LJH is good enough all by himself.

Big12 defensive stats can be misleading and our defense needs to stay off the field as much as possible. We wont TOP by 8 minutes over WVU and still lost the game.

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Believe it or not, the strength of this offense is throwing the ball on short and intermediate routes.

17 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air.  I never thought I could feel so free.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hamttx said:

As you failed to offer your credentials it would be foolish to debate this in the time tested methods of the internet, because you know we all have google and we all know how these type of posts turn out. My post was a spur of the moment based on my own experience, and after just finishing rewatching the Tech ou game and seeing this thread.

But I can’t help but laugh that you didn’t realize you “somewhat” contradicted your yourself, don’t you? My 30 days is not from medical practice, but your 6 weeks is, geez dude. 

However until you prove that you have better credentials then I......fuck you.....I stand by what I posted.

Thanks for the fuck you. It demonstrates your sincerity.

I am a hospital based physician with 30 years of practice, but I am sure Your Dr Google  or Dr Ethanol degree of medicine is superior to my clinical opinion.

First off there are many unknowns medically about this  collapsed lung situation: there are many causes, some are spontaneous and non-trauma based, but in this case it seems that perhaps trauma was involved. If so that frequently can mean that ribs are fractured.

Healing  times are variable, but broken ribs add time. Even without broken ribs a second recently collapsed lung episode demands more attention and careful management: it can be a lethal situation, even TTU can understand that. Healing time are varied depending not only on the mechanism of injury but the individuals ability to heal.

30 days is a random number and MRI does not figure into the equation in nearly all situations, but feel free to keep guessing.not sure what the blot clot diagnosis or soft tissue thing you mentioned adds anything to this.

Now go get your inter web doctor shinebox .......

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Big12 defensive stats can be misleading and our defense needs to stay off the field as much as possible. We wont TOP by 8 minutes over WVU and still lost the game.

If our run game were as effective as our passing game, I would agree with you. That said, Tech's DL isn't too scary, and Dakota Allen may be out, so I do hope we establish the run effectively.

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

Thanks for the fuck you. It demonstrates your sincerity.

I am a hospital based physician with 30 years of practice, but I am sure Your Dr Google  or Dr Ethanol degree of medicine is superior to my clinical opinion.

First off there are many unknowns medically about this  collapsed lung situation: there are many causes, some are spontaneous and non-trauma based, but in this case it seems that perhaps trauma was involved. If so that frequently can mean that ribs are fractured.

Healing  times are variable, but broken ribs add time. Even without broken ribs a second recently collapsed lung episode demands more attention and careful management: it can be a lethal situation, even TTU can understand that. Healing time are varied depending not only on the mechanism of injury but the individuals ability to heal.

30 days is a random number and MRI does not figure into the equation in nearly all situations, but feel free to keep guessing.not sure what the blot clot diagnosis or soft tissue thing you mentioned adds anything to this.

Now go get your inter web doctor shinebox .......

That was pretty much a beatdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Lol, Chip posted a thread "Sources: Hager out for Texas Tech" then a couple hours later has to update it because Herman announces that he has been cleared and practiced. Geez must suck when your sources are either stupid or just like to fuck with you.

15 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Lol, Chip posted a thread "Sources: Hager out for Texas Tech" then a couple hours later has to update it because Herman announces that he has been cleared and practiced. Geez must suck when your sources are either stupid or just like to fuck with you.

FCB......

Hager 's got two injuries.... limited action for Tech at best.

Anybody ever hear what Brandon Jones did to hurt himself at hotel walkthru last week??  Is it his ankle that's injured??

Is D.Davis injury same thing that kept him out earlier this Season??  Think it was a neck/shoulder type injury??

Quick thoughts on this game.....as I predicted a couple of weeks ago, I still think this is a Texas win and I don't believe it is going to be a 51-48 type of shootout.

Folks mentioning concern about Tech's defense. Tech's defensive S&P ranking currently is the same as it was for 2017 - 88. What made Tech's defense better last year was they forced 29 turnovers last year. Through 9 games, they have only forced 15. However over the last 2 weeks, they have made them count as they have forced 4 and scored 28 points off of the 4, including a couple of return touchdowns. Those turnovers and the points generated off of them made both games much closer than they really were. So the recipe for Texas is simple. Play like you have offensively over the past few weeks and don't turn the ball over. If that's the case, Texas should easily get into the 30s, if not more.

On the other front, this was a much better matchup than the previous 2 games for our defense, and that was even before Bowman got hurt. Tech runs an extremely efficient short and medium passing game, but they are not very explosive (kinda like Texas). But that was with Bowman largely running the show. Duffey is a step back in that regard and having watched most of his sole start against TCU, Tech's offense will not run as efficiently and keep in mind they were coming off of a bye week preparing for that game. They don't have that luxury this week. If Tech can't be hyper efficient on offense, they won't be able to put up points. Plus, Tech can't quite run the same stuff that WVa and OSU did to hurt Texas and I don't think coach Gosling is as adept a playcaller and gameplanner as Gundy and Holgo. 

If Texas loses, it will be because they lose the TO battle (-2 or worse) or Tech's special teams play an outsized role (they are actually pretty good this year) or both. And for those fearing Lubbock and night games, this isn't Manhattan KS which was a true house of horrors for Texas. Lubbock has actually been a place where Texas actually has kickstarted a strong closing kick to a season. In 1996, then chancellor John Montford ordered the goalposts greased before the Texas game to keep Tech students from tearing them down expecting a coronation against Texas for the first ever Big 12 South championship. Remind me again how that went or what happened the rest of the season? Or in 2004, where VY was coming off 2 horrific performances and everyone at Hornfans at the time was predicting Tech to wipe the floor with us, only to see the start of the "let Vince be Vince" era of football. Texas won that game by 30 and I think did some good things after that. Hell, even Charlie Strong won a night game in Lubbock with a much worse team and it helped him get to his only bowl as a Texas coach. 

I will not be that shocked if Texas goes up there and win solidly with what appears to be an improved defensive performance. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

Quick thoughts on this game.....as I predicted a couple of weeks ago, I still think this is a Texas win and I don't believe it is going to be a 51-48 type of shootout.

Folks mentioning concern about Tech's defense. Tech's defensive S&P ranking currently is the same as it was for 2017 - 88. What made Tech's defense better last year was they forced 29 turnovers last year. Through 9 games, they have only forced 15. However over the last 2 weeks, they have made them count as they have forced 4 and scored 28 points off of the 4, including a couple of return touchdowns. Those turnovers and the points generated off of them made both games much closer than they really were. So the recipe for Texas is simple. Play like you have offensively over the past few weeks and don't turn the ball over. If that's the case, Texas should easily get into the 30s, if not more.

On the other front, this was a much better matchup than the previous 2 games for our defense, and that was even before Bowman got hurt. Tech runs an extremely efficient short and medium passing game, but they are not very explosive (kinda like Texas). But that was with Bowman largely running the show. Duffey is a step back in that regard and having watched most of his sole start against TCU, Tech's offense will not run as efficiently and keep in mind they were coming off of a bye week preparing for that game. They don't have that luxury this week. If Tech can't be hyper efficient on offense, they won't be able to put up points. Plus, Tech can't quite run the same stuff that WVa and OSU did to hurt Texas and I don't think coach Gosling is as adept a playcaller and gameplanner as Gundy and Holgo. 

If Texas loses, it will be because they lose the TO battle (-2 or worse) or Tech's special teams play an outsized role (they are actually pretty good this year) or both. And for those fearing Lubbock and night games, this isn't Manhattan KS which was a true house of horrors for Texas. Lubbock has actually been a place where Texas actually has kickstarted a strong closing kick to a season. In 1996, then chancellor John Montford ordered the goalposts greased before the Texas game to keep Tech students from tearing them down expecting a coronation against Texas for the first ever Big 12 South championship. Remind me again how that went or what happened the rest of the season? Or in 2004, where VY was coming off 2 horrific performances and everyone at Hornfans at the time was predicting Tech to wipe the floor with us, only to see the start of the "let Vince be Vince" era of football. Texas won that game by 30 and I think did some good things after that. Hell, even Charlie Strong won a night game in Lubbock with a much worse team and it helped him get to his only bowl as a Texas coach. 

I will not be that shocked if Texas goes up there and win solidly with what appears to be an improved defensive performance. 

I'll have what he's having. 

That was not a quick thought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

That was not quick

Let's go matchup by matchup

Texas OL vs TT DL:  Tie

Texas RB vs TT LB:  TT

Texas WR vs TT DB:  Texas

Texas QB vs TT QB:  Texas

TT OL vs Texas DL:  TT

TT RB vs Texas LB:  TT

TT WR vs Texas DB:  TT

Special Teams:  No idea, but ours have been average

Coaching:  Tie

So piggy backing off what Pencil Pusher said, Sam has to play his best and not have TO's for us to win this game.  It would also help if we didn't get a punt blocked.  I'm mildly shocked we haven't had one yet.

IT team notes

Texas heads to Lubbock to end a two-game skid and avenge a disappointing home loss to end the regular season one calendar ago.

Ian and Paul, Paul and Ian, have done a great job of illustrating and gif-ing what needs to be done to get the win. We'll discuss where the team sits health-wise, both mentally and physically, in its hopes to put the season back on the path we thought it was on before the bye week.

Personnel issues will be key for both teams. The biggest missing piece will be Texas Tech freshman quarterback, Alan Bowman, being sidelined with his second collapsed lung of the season. That has schematic implications for Texas as his replacement, Jett Duffey, is a dual-threat with a much more limited passing repertoire.

Texas will look to play nickel more than you might think in the past with a Tech team in hopes to combat the run game. With UT having its own personnel issues on defense, especially on the defensive line, you'll see some of the younger guys in a limited role. But, we're also likely to see some looks we haven't seen much of, or at all. I think Paul touched on this, with linebackers and d-linemen crowding the line and not showing who's dropping and who is rushing until the snap.

Breckyn Hager is only questionable because he's Breckyn Hager. Any other player would be considered out. I don't know how much he'll be able to go but he's really banged up. The staff isn't counting on him.

Marqez Bimage is also out. Malcolm Roach could not have returned at a better time.

Brandon Jones....very likely out. This hurts as he's a big part of defending the run. Texas will play Caden Sterns in his position again, with PJ Locke in the boundary and Josh Thompson at nickel. We need to see improvement over last week here.

This is a big week for run contain and it was drilled incessantly in practice.

I asked a couple questions worth sharing:

Who practiced well this week? "Omenihu and Sterns. I'm expecting a rebound week for Sterns."

Why is blitzing so ineffective? "Wrong personnel. They're too slow." Okay, so why do they use them? "Those are the positions they like to blitz and these are the results with this personnel."

Despite the recent poor performances the defense remains confident it will get right. We shall see on that.

I said I would update the board if I heard anything significant on Collin Johnson's status and then got tied up on the phones until late on recruiting stuff. Apologies. I'd be surprised if he played.

Assuming he's out, the staff has a couple not-so-great but not-so-terrible options. They could play Malcolm Epps or Brennan Eagles at X and leave Lil'Jordan Humphrey in the slot. Or, they could move Humphrey to X, which is where he would have been all along if Johnson wasn't on the team, and put Jerrod Heard in the slot. It's a question of who is the fourth best receiver and if you've been watching this year, that's difficult to answer. Fortunately, this offense is spreading the ball out more than we've seen in recent years with RB/TE accounting for over 50 receptions. Expect big games from those two positions, relative to their season's production.

Sidenote: This would have been a great time to get Josh Moore the start. He was lost on a needless play in practice because of a boneheaded defensive player contacting him when it was unexpected. It cost Moore the rest of the season and sent him to the surgeon.

Collin Johnson being out doesn't help, but this offense should have little problem overcoming his absence, if he does in fact miss.

This game will come down to the defense playing the run well.

Hager comes out of the last two games with his arm dangling around like he’s done for the season, then the next week he’s playing.  Is he a pussy for playing up a minor injury or a badass playing through a bad injury the next week??

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Hager comes out of the last two games with his arm dangling around like he’s done for the season, then the next week he’s playing.  Is he a pussy for playing up a minor injury or a badass playing through a bad injury the next week??

elbow and other dislocations are sometimes weird. he'll have an elbow brace on try to to keep it from dislocating again but not sure how it will affect his strength.

I believe hager plays hard, doesn't fake it, and isn't a pussy but that doesn't mean he plays smart or is good.  I'll be happy to have him in the rotation if only to spell other guys some.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 10:56 PM, hornian said:

Kingsbury could likely be fired for cause if he allowed Bowman to play and he was injured again. I’m sure he (Bowman) wants to, but that woild just be completely irresponsible. 

Apologies for my posts criticizing Hornian.

.  I read the first sentence as past tense, as in the game just played.

Edited by slorch

Seems like it will be awfully hard to wrap up with a dislocated elbow.  If any chance it improves some by Iowa St. probably best for Hager to just sit this one out.  Really sucks about CJ and Jones.  Those are 2 critical losses.  Really need to find a way to win this one and hope those guys can go for Iowa St.