David Beaty out at Kansas after the season

BigOrange1

3 hours ago, Texas25 said:

@ButtFumble

Okay, I'm not going to address all of that because it is a novel, just going to make a couple of points.

1. Leach turned Washington State around, they are currently 8-1 and ranked 8th in the CFP. The guy is making chicken salad out of chicken shit. Leach inherited a program that went 9-40 the 4 years before he got there. He is now 46-39 almost through his 7th. The guy does more with less than just about anybody in the country, Texas Tech had 6 AP top 25 finishes as a program before Leach arrived, in Leach's 10 seasons they had 5... Complaining that Leach hasn't won a Pac 12 title or division title is like complaining that Matt Campbell hasn't done anything of significance at Iowa State.

2. It is Syracuse and Purdue... Syracuse and Purdue...

3. Mike Leach and Mark Mangino (at Kansas) both ran offenses in this conference that had already been seen in this conference and succeeded at their respective jobs in terms of the ceilings of those jobs. Both were OC's at OU and both took the same system and succeeded as HCs in the Big 12. Kliff isn't succeeding simply because Kliff isn't a good HC, it has nothing to do with the offense he is running. His offense led Manziel to a Heisman and aggy to their best overall season since 1998. He just isn't a HC but Tech really doesn't have a choice because they want Kliff to succeed because they know if he does, he isn't going to leave and Tech doesn't want to be a stepping stone program, so they wait. 60% of the Big 12 is not running the air raid. Baylor has never run the air raid, Oklahoma State doesn't run the air raid. The only school that runs anything like it is Texas Tech.

4. If Les still had it, he would have never let it slip at LSU. I just don't see it at Kansas

Item number 4 is correct for numerous reasons and it's worth an attaboy.

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yeah, but the Big 12 wasn’t the high scoring offensive league then that it is now. Not saying he can’t get it going at Kansas, but it’s a different league. 

6 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’m well aware of that. If this were the 90s the shit he trotted out of offense would be sufficient. But anyone that thinks he’s gonna be able to recruit talent to compete in the big 12 without outscoring everyone like the last time KU was worth a damn, is fooling themselves.

I'm just saying it's fucking Kansas.  They had a couple 4 stars already.  Les will be able to get them to a bowl every now and then. 

He will also raise money and get enthusiasm up.  They don't need much more. 

The attraction for Kansas to Les is that he would have the credibility to hire quality assistants and his name would carry the weight with recruits to know that he isn't going to be fired in 2 years like we have a habit of doing.  He also won't go anywhere so we would have stability for a handful of years which is what we really need.  Stability and discipline.

If we get that out of him we will definitely have a 6 win season before he leaves.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The attraction for Kansas to Les is that he would have the credibility to hire quality assistants and his name would carry the weight with recruits to know that he isn't going to be fired in 2 years like we have a habit of doing.  He also won't go anywhere so we would have stability for a handful of years which is what we really need.  Stability and discipline.

If we get that out of him we will definitely have a 6 win season before he leaves.

"Have you looked at that pile of crap out there?!"

32 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Most coaches live and die by that particular factor, but Les is 5x more in that category than anybody else. I can't think of a single X's and O's wrinkle that could be called a "Les Miles" philosophical stamp. He's won in impressive fashion for a long time before, but it's almost entirely due to the fact that he put together pretty good staffs to do so. KU really needs to make it plain to him that they'll trap door him even before spring ball if he doesn't manage to make hay when hiring his assistants.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Most coaches live and die by that particular factor, but Les is 5x more in that category than anybody else. I can't think of a single X's and O's wrinkle that could be called a "Les Miles" philosophical stamp. He's won in impressive fashion for a long time before, but it's almost entirely due to the fact that he put together pretty good staffs to do so. KU really needs to make it plain to him that they'll trap door him even before spring ball if he doesn't manage to make hay when hiring his assistants.

I think that would be part of the deal you would have to think.  But ask yourself this, given where we have been for the last 8 years, is there a quality coach you could bring in that would have more clout than Miles in hiring and retaining quality assistants?  Since we are now known as the place coaches go to die I highly doubt a major applewhite would come here and I very much highly doubt he would attract quality assistants to leave comfortable situations to come here.  So if we try to find the next young guy then we are probably promoting RB/OL/WR coaches to OC and DL/LB/Secondary coaches to DC.  That is a massive risk given the situation and the realignment boogieman coming down the road.  Not to mention that if they actually do have success then a better program would snatch them up in 2-3 years anyway and we're right back where we started.

With Miles, you know you're going to have him for a while and that signals to the market that the jobs of the assistants would be safe as well.  Further, Les isn't going to be taking off for UT in 3-4 years if he has success because those schools won't come after a 68-69 year old coach.

The bottom line is that it makes far too much sense for KU and if miles really does want to coach again then it makes sense for him if no one else is making his phone ring.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I think that would be part of the deal you would have to think.  But ask yourself this, given where we have been for the last 8 years, is there a quality coach you could bring in that would have more clout than Miles in hiring and retaining quality assistants?  Since we are now known as the place coaches go to die I highly doubt a major applewhite would come here and I very much highly doubt he would attract quality assistants to leave comfortable situations to come here.  So if we try to find the next young guy then we are probably promoting RB/OL/WR coaches to OC and DL/LB/Secondary coaches to DC.  That is a massive risk given the situation and the realignment boogieman coming down the road.  Not to mention that if they actually do have success then a better program would snatch them up in 2-3 years anyway and we're right back where we started.

With Miles, you know you're going to have him for a while and that signals to the market that the jobs of the assistants would be safe as well.  Further, Les isn't going to be taking off for UT in 3-4 years if he has success because those schools won't come after a 68-69 year old coach.

The bottom line is that it makes far too much sense for KU and if miles really does want to coach again then it makes sense for him if no one else is making his phone ring.

The reason y'all aren't a destination job is partly your own doing, if y'all would pay your football coach even 1/2 of what y'all are paying Bill Self, Kansas could be a destination job. Y'all treat football like most schools treat basketball.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Major would take the job in a heart beat unless he is regarded as fuck

he needs to GTFO Houston ASAP because he is in a now win situation there where the fans and worse the administration believe that 10 wins is the minimum to keep your job AND they want you to sign a ridiculous buyout

but Kansas has said experienced P5 coach so Major is not in that category

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Your basketball program almost guarantees a soft landing during realignment. The ACC or B1G would let Self run a train on all coaches wives to pull in Kansas basketball. Kansas football getting competitive is not going to move the needle in those discussions that much. Miles being there would be good for KU in the short term, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up that he will be a renaissance man. His offensive philosphies were pedestrian at best with the best talent Louisiana had to offer for 10 years. That wont get you very far in this league. Ask Shawn Watson.

Edited by Vertigo

14 hours ago, Texas25 said:

The reason y'all aren't a destination job is partly your own doing, if y'all would pay your football coach even 1/2 of what y'all are paying Bill Self, Kansas could be a destination job. Y'all treat football like most schools treat basketball.

We paid Gill and Weis pretty competitively, they were just bad hires. If somebody got to Mangino level success (not necessarily the Orange Bowl season but competitive and entertaining), everything works out. KU isn’t different than anywhere else, nobody goes to watch 2-10 teams play in shithole stadiums, and we’re running on 10 years of it.

14 hours ago, Texas25 said:

Well Adidas does anyway.  

14 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

but Kansas has said experienced P5 coach so Major is not in that category

If it's not Miles I can't imagine a coach in that category that isn't a total proven failure taking the Kansas job. They should be looking at FCS programs, trying to lure a guy like Klieman at NDSU or John Grass Jacksonville State. Those guys have had sustained success and would possibly not be too good to consider the job. Kansas needs to aspire to being a stepping stone job at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

If it's not Miles I can't imagine a coach in that category that isn't a total proven failure taking the Kansas job. They should be looking at FCS programs, trying to lure a guy like Klieman at NDSU or John Grass Jacksonville State. Those guys have had sustained success and would possibly not be too good to consider the job. Kansas needs to aspire to being a stepping stone job at this point.

I think they could land Matt Wells, Lance Leipold, Josh Heupel, or Joey Freshwater

Heupel was born and raised in South Dakota and makes $1.7 million at UCF so at a minimum Kansas could force them to pay up......Freshwater needs money to pay Layla and bag new hoes and Leipold had a strong DIII run and has Buffalo playing great

12 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I think they could land Matt Wells, Lance Leipold, Josh Heupel, or Joey Freshwater

Heupel was born and raised in South Dakota and makes $1.7 million at UCF so at a minimum Kansas could force them to pay up......Freshwater needs money to pay Layla and bag new hoes and Leipold had a strong DIII run and has Buffalo playing great

Heupel -- no chance that dude wants the career suicide with the trajectory he's on. Frost went from UCF to Nebraska. That's the model he's emulating. A school like Mizzou would be a reasonable option for him.

Freshwater -- no chance they want him or he wants them

Leipold -- maybe, but again, Kansas is aspiring to be a Buffalo-level stepping stone job at this point. With another successful year he'd be a candidate for much better jobs than KU.

Wells -- huh? Not a resume that screams "ready to take the next step."

Edited by Llogg

5 hours ago, Llogg said:

The thing is we aren’t even close to being a stepping stone job right now. That’s why bringing in a younger, inexperienced, coach doesn’t make sense. We need someone to build a foundation so one day we can become Tulsa or Houston. That’s why les makes sense. He could build the foundation, pass it off to the guy who is going to come in and be here for 3 years and move on down the line that way. We aren’t against being a stepping stone at all. But coaches looking to move up don’t even see us as that at this point. We have to build to become that and that will take a proven coach with credibility. 

• 3 weeks later...

He's going to teach Tom the nuance of why you call a timeout coming out of the 1st quarter break.  He's also going to tell Tom that he needs to publicly announce a QB controversy and say it will be a gameday decision to throw off the OU preparation.  Those are 2 things that happened LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE GAME while Beaty was at KU.

Not sure you want this guy anywhere near your program.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Another reason to possibly fire the bum.  If he wanted to be the coach at KU and "loves" KU as much as he says he does then I certainly hope he wasn't talking to rival coaches after our games to say "here is something we had you on and here is how you're going to sew it up so we don't have that on you next year."  

This should be very telling on why you don't want Beaty near your program.  When he isn't destroying your roster to make himself look better right now in this moment and lying to the fans and media about it, he'll call his best buddy on a rival team and tell them exactly how to beat you.

Beaty is a fucking joke of a coach.  KU should look at his email history and see if we can fire him for cause and save ourselves $3mm.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Another reason to possibly fire the bum.  If he wanted to be the coach at KU and "loves" KU as much as he says he does then I certainly hope he wasn't talking to rival coaches after our games to say "here is something we had you on and here is how you're going to sew it up so we don't have that on you next year."  

This should be very telling on why you don't want Beaty near your program.  When he isn't destroying your roster to make himself look better right now in this moment and lying to the fans and media about it, he'll call his best buddy on a rival team and tell them exactly how to beat you.

Beaty is a fucking joke of a coach.  KU should look at his email history and see if we can fire him for cause and save ourselves $3mm.

Congrats on being worse at reading and posting than your football team is at playing.

Herman specifically noted "Whenever you play an opponent and don’t play an opponent again, you’re going to call friends on their staff and say, ‘Hey, what’d you have on us?’"

If it was so important to your athletic program not to have Beaty give information to Texas on tips and tells then you could have retained him. Yeah, I didn't think it was that important.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This is a fucking joke of a post. And you should know that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

you remain an absolute idiot.

you saw where herman said this is commonplace right?

What is not common place is to make a PR spectacle out it. Just do it without publicizing it. Apparently Beatty has taken some backlash from this and now is not coming to Austin.

You just typically don't see coaches from the same conference do it in the same season.

But in the end I would guess that it would have very little impact 

Edited by Buddy Hinton

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

You know that the greatest coaches in our entire history taught our worst rival how to run the innovative offense they'd invented, right? We even named the stadium after that head coach.