David Beaty out at Kansas after the season

BigOrange1

Been to Kansas once for work. That state is the most depressing and shittiest state I have ever been to. Would tell anyone to stay far, far away from that shithole. To say it’s infinitely better than Houston takes the cake for dumbest thing said on surly for today.

Don’t be silly. I’d love to go deer hunting up there.

KU overachieved my expectations this year, but Beaty sold out the next couple years to get in JUCO guys to try to save his job this season. Glad they let him go. Recruiting is a mess right now.  It was a gamble taking a position coach as a HC who would learn on the job. A gamble that failed spectacularly. They hoped if he failed he would still recruit well enough that KU would have full roster and some talent when he was let go. Instead with the last 2 years of JUCO heavy classes and transfers out, we are only slightly better off than when Weis was fired.  I think we can only offer 15 or so scholarships this year.   

I think KU will pay enough to at least talk to some good coaches. KU paid $2.5M to Gill and Weis which was top 20ish at the time. I think KU will pay $4-5M+ to the right coach. Making Long one of the highest paid ADs in the country shows KU is willing to pay to get things fixed with FB.  Fixed for KU would be to win 5-7 games consistently (be in the hunt for a bowl game most years) and not be an easy win for the middle of the conference.   Maybe an outlier year like 1995 or 2007 every decade or so.  See Mangino, Mason, and Gottfried. Problem is KU never follows those coaches with one who can maintain competitiveness; therefore, KU is always trying to rebuild the FB program. KU needs someone who knows how to run a successful program to set a solid foundation for the program going forward. Even a coach with only 4-5 years left would be a successful hire if they can manage that. 

Like Jhawk, I'd like to bring an option offense like GT or the service academies. We are behind the eight ball on recruiting being in a small state that we share with another P5 program.  A running based offense would allow us to recruit guys with flaws who could excel in a running offense. It would also be hard to prepare for and players that excel versus pass oriented attacks often struggle with smash mouth.  In the end though, bringing in the right coach is more important than the offense he decides to run.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

@Jhawk who is the most likely candidate to take over KU?

The hottest name is miles st this point. Long had a press conference tonight and stated that his list is exclusively coaches that are P5 experienced and that a coordinator will not be considered because it is too big of a job to learn as you go. He also stated we have shifted fundraising from stadium renovation based to football resource funding. He wants more analysts and systems to help the coaches work smarter. He said KU is about 15 years behind championship level programs in that regard. 

Everything he has said points to miles. Miles would bring instant credibility and we’d get quality assistants and recruits with his name. Plus he did the same rebuild with OsU when he got there. I think he’d be a home run hire. It sounds like our budget is $4mm or so. 

Also something of note that was said is that long would like to have his hire announced within a week of the end of the season. He suggested he would hire a coach ASAP, even before the end of the season. Another indicator that miles could be in play. 

10 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

So out of all the job changes in the past how many years, theres been about 10 listed.  Zero was incorrect, I admitted that, but the overall % is low.

Some of these were guys that were in question of being let go as well and probably jumped ship knowing what was around the corner....  Jimbo, Riley, Sark, Andersen....

A few more off the top of my head: Bret Bielema. Paul Chryst. Rich Rod. Charlie Strong. 

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Been to Kansas once for work. That state is the most depressing and shittiest state I have ever been to. Would tell anyone to stay far, far away from that shithole. To say it’s infinitely better than Houston takes the cake for dumbest thing said on surly for today.

I'm not talking about Kansas as a whole, I'm talking about Lawrence.  It's a beautiful, well manicured college town.  Houston is a sprawling, gigantic, un-zoned mess of a city stuck in a festering swamp.  It's one of the worst big cities in America.  Texas has some awesome communities, but Houston ain't one of them.  A buddy of mine lived there for a couple years and moved to the DFW area recently.  DFW >>>>>>> Houston.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not talking about Kansas a whole, I'm talking about Lawrence.  It's a beautiful, well manicured college town.  Houston is a sprawling, gigantic, un-zoned mess of a city stuck in a festering swamp.  It's one of the worst big cities in America.  Texas has some awesome communities, but Houston ain't one of them.  A buddy of mine lived there for a couple years and moved to the DFW area recently.  DFW >>>>>>> Houston.

Hey fuck you, Houston's awesome

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Hey fuck you, Houston's awesome

If I spent more time there, I'm sure I'd find something to like about it, but the whole style, layout, etc was grating.  The whole lack of true exits from freeways bugged me as well.

My guess is you probably think Iowa's a shit hole.

16 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/11/13909674/rena-khator-fired-coaches-8-and-4-major-applewhite

"The winning is defined at University of Houston as 10 and 2," she told faculty and staff at the annual holiday party at her home. "We'll fire coaches at 8 and 4.”

She is just the mouthpiece for her boss. It’s Tillman who will decide Major’s fate and, if I were Major, that alone would have me looking wistfully at Lawrence. 

Hell, if I had a say in it I would tell whichever coach you went with to start cheating like a mother fucker. What could possibly go wrong? The NCAA? The FBI? If they can’t connect the dots with Jayhawks basketball, they sure as hell couldnt do anything about a historically bad football team, that just magically got a little better.

12 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Hell, if I had a say in it I would tell whichever coach you went with to start cheating like a mother fucker. What could possibly go wrong? The NCAA? The FBI? If they can’t connect the dots with Jayhawks basketball, they sure as hell couldnt do anything about a historically bad football team, that just magically got a little better.

I’d take briles in a heartbeat.  

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If I spent more time there, I'm sure I'd find something to like about it, but the whole style, layout, etc was grating.  The whole lack of true exits from freeways bugged me as well.

Incorrect. I've never thought about Iowa

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Most things are a matter of taste, and if you can't find something you like somewhere it's more of a you problem than a place problem. Generally speaking.

But what the fuck are you talking about with the "lack of true exits from freeways" stuff?

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Most things are a matter of taste, and if you can't find something you like somewhere it's more of a you problem than a place problem. Generally speaking.

But what the fuck are you talking about with the "lack of true exits from freeways" stuff?

When I visited Houston, every time you got off an interstate, instead of an off ramp that lead to a crossing street, you had a short lane that went to a frontage road, where you'd have to deal with oncoming traffic before getting to the road you were trying to exit on.  It seemed wildly unsafe, and I haven't seen it many other places.  I'm sure you'd get used to it, but in a weekend visit I really didn't like, nor could I see what advantage there was to such a system.

If Miles will take the job it makes the most sense KU can't do any better.   He's about to turn 65 so probably the last shot he'll get.  There is zero chance any other 'up and comer' will screw their trajectory taking over a pretty much impossible situation.   

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So you weren't actually in Houston? Two-way frontage roads don't exist close to the city that I'm aware of; you have to get pretty far outside of the city to see those. Guess you could have been in some random spot, though.

It was the suburb my buddy lived in where I was driving (Spring, Conroe?).  When we actually went farther into the city, I was a passenger and not really paying attention.

I'm sure I didn't give it a fair shake, but my initial impression was strongly negative, especially in comparison to my other travels in Texas.  If I ever have any reason to go back (like us making the Texas Bowl), I'd probably do better research and find the cool spots and see more of the actual city.  We just never seemed to get out of unzoned strip mall-esque hell, and thus my harsh judgment is not particularly learned.  Everything seemed really disjointed, and lacking a unique culture of it's own.

I also tend to prefer college towns to big cities, and like 4 season climates better than Houston's.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not talking about Kansas as a whole, I'm talking about Lawrence.  It's a beautiful, well manicured college town.  Houston is a sprawling, gigantic, un-zoned mess of a city stuck in a festering swamp.  It's one of the worst big cities in America.  Texas has some awesome communities, but Houston ain't one of them.  A buddy of mine lived there for a couple years and moved to the DFW area recently.  DFW >>>>>>> Houston.

It's not the zoning, landscape, or weather that makes Houston a great city.  It's the diversity, culture, and restaurant scene that do.  Houston has more class and culture in it's little finger than Dallas can even imagine.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What’s a frontage road?

Considering that the term frontage road is used in Texas state law, I think you're going to have to do some research on that one. Access road, feeder road, and frontage road all appear in the Texas Transportation Code. So there.

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Do any of those places have those cool U-turn lanes under the freeway you just exited? Those are great. We don't have them out west. I really miss them.

Houston built those so the cops would have a nice shady spot to bust people for the violent crime of expired vehicle registration

• Like 2

Considering that the term frontage road is used in Texas state law, I think you're going to have to do some research on that one. Access road, feeder road, and frontage road all appear in the Texas Transportation Code. So there.

I was teasing. I was born and raised in Houston, so it’s always a feeder. But I have lived in various cities so I know the other terms. Just yanking your chain.

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Do any of those places have those cool U-turn lanes under the freeway you just exited? Those are great. We don't have them out west. I really miss them.

Houston built those so the cops would have a nice shady spot wait to bust people for the violent crime of expired vehicle registration