David Beaty out at Kansas after the season

BigOrange1

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Do any of those places have those cool U-turn lanes under the freeway you just exited? Those are great. We don't have them out west. I really miss them.

Houston built those so the cops would have a nice shady spot wait to bust people for the violent crime of expired vehicle registration

On November 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM, ButtFumble said:

Tedford should probably be at the top of the list he knows how to recruit to a totally shitty situation (both facilities and the tough academics and a losing history) and he started out on fire at Fresno so he clearly still has the desire

Gundy is probably a long shot, but I would not be shocked at all to see him take another job this year, but the bad news for him is this poor season might scare some of those jobs off

Tedford isn't leaving his alma mater for Kansas. 

5 hours ago, SDG said:

Hey now; Iowa does have the worlds largest truck stop.  Houston can’t complete with that. 

I'm calling B.S. Houston has the world's largest truck stop.  It's called I-10 East from 7-10 a.m. and I-10 West from 4-7 p.m. every day.

• Like 1

looking for "experienced" P5 corch sounds like Major (I know I know P6 🤣 ) and Seth are not in the running at KU

but if petrino is out and Rutgers, UConn, UNC, Illinois, UNLV, USC, and possibly BYU are looking for a corch then who knows what happens for Major especially

he is not going to USC or BYU obviously, but who knows what waves they set in motion especially if Brohm leaves Purdue (that I think would fit Major well playing up tempo in the Big Snooze)

also Paul Johnson at GT getting fired could set things in motion and what Maryland decides to do as well (keep OH Canada or new direction)

probably the biggest factors will be what happens with the brain eating amoebas that corch irving mayor has been diagnosed with and if there is a surprise firing like Malzahn or Gundy (or if Gundy jumps jobs) and what happens with Kliff Bar at Tech (Litrell and Major would be a terrible hire for them)......also if Snyder does in fact step down and there is any truth to Patterson being willing to take that job 

any of the last 5 would really shake things up and probably result in a lot of movement that would result in openings that Major or Seth "Lamar" Litrell would fit into

I really think it will wind up being Miles, but the other name I can't get past is the possibility of Greg Schiano.

Kansas could likely get a discount based on the recent Tennessee uproar and he might be the long term guy that could work there. He's a proven coach who can recruit, would likely be able to form a good staff and isn't likely to have a better offer.

17 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I really think it will wind up being Miles, but the other name I can't get past is the possibility of Greg Schiano.

Kansas could likely get a discount based on the recent Tennessee uproar and he might be the long term guy that could work there. He's a proven coach who can recruit, would likely be able to form a good staff and isn't likely to have a better offer.

If you can't get miles and don't want to go triple option then Schiano is a great hire.  Unfortunately, KU admin/faculty are very much about social justice (no politics) and him coming to KU is probably a nonstarter.  Very unfortunate.

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

If you can't get miles and don't want to go triple option then Schiano is a great hire.  Unfortunately, KU admin/faculty are very much about social justice (no politics) and him coming to KU is probably a nonstarter.  Very unfortunate.

Yeah, what is the world coming to, when a guy can't get a head coaching job after helping cover up child rape?!

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

The boys over at the phog are lighting the signal fires for Miles.  There is an inbound plane from Baton Rouge to Lawrence.  I got a note last night from a pretty reputable poster saying a miles announcement would happen tomorrow.

I want to be very skeptical but it is hard when you have an erection that won't go away.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 3:14 PM, ButtFumble said:

looking for "experienced" P5 corch sounds like Major (I know I know P6 🤣 ) and Seth are not in the running at KU

but if petrino is out and Rutgers, UConn, UNC, Illinois, UNLV, USC, and possibly BYU are looking for a corch then who knows what happens for Major especially

he is not going to USC or BYU obviously, but who knows what waves they set in motion especially if Brohm leaves Purdue (that I think would fit Major well playing up tempo in the Big Snooze)

also Paul Johnson at GT getting fired could set things in motion and what Maryland decides to do as well (keep OH Canada or new direction)

probably the biggest factors will be what happens with the brain eating amoebas that corch irving mayor has been diagnosed with and if there is a surprise firing like Malzahn or Gundy (or if Gundy jumps jobs) and what happens with Kliff Bar at Tech (Litrell and Major would be a terrible hire for them)......also if Snyder does in fact step down and there is any truth to Patterson being willing to take that job 

any of the last 5 would really shake things up and probably result in a lot of movement that would result in openings that Major or Seth "Lamar" Litrell would fit into

You spelled Coach Irvin Mayas wrong

At least the Jayhawks can become a borderline bowl team again under Les, so there's that...

How do you figure? Unless he’s willing to move to an actual offense that throws the football or run the triple option, they’re gonna suck dick. The guy is a terrible fucking coach. His preferred offense didn’t work with the talent level available to him at LSU but somehow it’s gonna be the answer for Kansas.

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

How do you figure? Unless he’s willing to move to an actual offense that throws the football or run the triple option, they’re gonna suck dick. The guy is a terrible fucking coach. His preferred offense didn’t work with the talent level available to him at LSU but somehow it’s gonna be the answer for Kansas.

Pretty much this.   He was considered an offensive coach at OSU, and they did somewhat modernize things in his stint there.  But at LSU, he seemingly forgot that side of the ball.

The Big 12 is a completely different animal now than it was in 2003.

17 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Meh...dude has the highest winning percentage of LSU coaches going back 100 years. In 11 seasons, he played in 2 national championship games, finished in the top 10 5 times and top 20 9 times. All things considered, that's pretty good for a guy somewhere pretty far out on the spectrum. 

Would love to see Les back  in the bigXII, if for no other reason than to see him eat artificial turf.

Edited by Blotto

8 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

that is just BS in 12 seasons (including the last when he was fired after 4 games) he was ranked in 9 of those seasons (so 75%) and he won a MNC and played for a second one

he was ranked in the top 10 in five of those 12 seasons and in the top five in four of those seasons (so he was in the top five in 25% of his seasons)

his lowest rankings were #17 two seasons.....hard to say someone is a terrible coach when they are ranked #17 or higher in 75% of the seasons they coached and in the top five in 25% of the seasons they coached

and not to kiss the ass of the SEC SEC SEC, but he was coaching in a place where pretty much anything goes for 75% of their programs when it comes to doing what it takes to win football and where programs will hire and fire coaches every 3 or 4 years until they find one that can win and then fire him a few years after he does not so you have to constantly adjust to what is going on with the other teams in the league and if a couple get momentum and your fans start to shit on you it can all fall apart fast

again to be clear at places like Texas, OU, USC and the like there is the massive pressure to win, but you are not dealing with the fact that even the also rans in your conference just being willing to spend pretty much anything and everything to get to 8+ wins and then hope that coach can do better for a year or two before they have to fire him if he does not

it does not necessarily make those programs any better, but it does mean that you are constantly having to adjust for the new flavor of the year

9 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Do you think Mack Brown was a good coach?

yes right up to and until the time when he thought Texas let you keep your job based on what you did in the past

he was good when he put effort into recruiting instead of just collecting *s

he was good when he had to deal with hiring new DCs (and when Auburn had a fresh supply of new good DCs)

he was good when Greg Davis actually could craft an offense around some talent that had some similarities to what systems they fit into

once Mack thought it was on "automatic" and he could recruit by reading Dave Cambell's and once he got lazy about replacing the DCs and once he got lazy about making sure the players on O at least fit into some type of system it all fell apart

and then it really fell apart when he thought he could just get a few young guys for coordinators and split up their duties so no one had any real control and then Mack could go back to his office and look at his collection of coaching shit

then when he found out that was not going to work and he became obstinate and thought that UT owed him a job he turned to shit

but the years just before Vince, during Vince and with Colt were pretty damn good

That wasn’t my question. Do you think he was a good coach? He was a heck of a head coach/CEO type and was absolutely the right man for the job when he got hired.

But do you think he can coach? Other than delegating responsibility and out talenting everyone, could he identify a weakness in something and correct? Or just throw people/money at the problem?

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That wasn’t my question. Do you think he was a good coach? He was a heck of a head coach/CEO type and was absolutely the right man for the job when he got hired.

But do you think he can coach? Other than delegating responsibility and out talenting everyone, could he identify a weakness in something and correct? Or just throw people/money at the problem?

Do you think Dabo Swinney is a good coach?

Edited by Machinator

I won’t lie. I couldn’t tell you shit about Dabo. I don’t know if he can coach for shit but he’s building a solid program. Mack built a hell of a monster until he fucked it off. Had he not been so damn stupid, he wouldn’t have followed every flavor of the month on everything.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Do you think Dabo Swinney is a good coach?

What Jkwell is trying to say is, Mack Brown is a better version of Les Miles. Les Miles got to follow Saban, Mack got to follow Mackovic. Mack had a winning percentage of 76% and that is with the lean years. Les had a 77% win percentage and that was in essence with a head start because he took over a program Saban built.

Now back to the point that I assume he was trying to make, it would be a mistake for Kansas to hire Les in my opinion, he is 64 years old about to be 65. I thought Kansas would have learned after hiring Charlie Weis but I guess not.

19 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

he was a very good coach when he had the fire

he would be a terrible coach now because he has become soft as fuck and he is too nice and frets over pissing people off or looking like a bad guy

and as for a comparison of Fat Charlie Front Butt Vs Les......Fat Charlie had already proven he was a loser college coach at ND......Les so far has proven he can be a decent coach at OkState and leave them in a decent position for a guy that was not even yet a man to take over and improve and that Les can step up to a bigger stage and have success

can Les do that again who knows, but all signs point to the fact that he wants to coach again and I doubt it is just to collect a check

Mack proved he could take over for something called Wally English at Tulane and at least get them to 6 wins and the he proved he could take over at UNC and tear a program down completely and rebuilt it to a program that was ranked 6 out of his last 7 seasons including one in the top 10 and one in the top 5.5

then he showed he could step up at Texas and better that after some wine and cheese faget

so it is hard to say that Mack Brown was not a good coach when he got a terrible Tulane program with nothing going for it to a bowl and then built UNC into a really high quality program before he left and had a damn good run (while he gave a shit) at Texas....I don't think that post Dick Crum UNC was the kind of place where a head coach was just more of an "overseer" I think it was a place where a head coach had to coach and Mack Brown did a damn good job there

post-Texas Mack Brown would be a terrible coach because he is more interested in the kids having fun and making friends and giving out false platitudes (he is the John McCain of college coaching now)

we have yet to know if post-LSU Les is Mack Brown or someone that gives a shit and wants to go out having proven something

46 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

he was a very good coach when he had the fire

he would be a terrible coach now because he has become soft as fuck and he is too nice and frets over pissing people off or looking like a bad guy

and as for a comparison of Fat Charlie Front Butt Vs Les......Fat Charlie had already proven he was a loser college coach at ND......Les so far has proven he can be a decent coach at OkState and leave them in a decent position for a guy that was not even yet a man to take over and improve and that Les can step up to a bigger stage and have success

can Les do that again who knows, but all signs point to the fact that he wants to coach again and I doubt it is just to collect a check

Mack proved he could take over for something called Wally English at Tulane and at least get them to 6 wins and the he proved he could take over at UNC and tear a program down completely and rebuilt it to a program that was ranked 6 out of his last 7 seasons including one in the top 10 and one in the top 5.5

then he showed he could step up at Texas and better that after some wine and cheese faget

so it is hard to say that Mack Brown was not a good coach when he got a terrible Tulane program with nothing going for it to a bowl and then built UNC into a really high quality program before he left and had a damn good run (while he gave a shit) at Texas....I don't think that post Dick Crum UNC was the kind of place where a head coach was just more of an "overseer" I think it was a place where a head coach had to coach and Mack Brown did a damn good job there

post-Texas Mack Brown would be a terrible coach because he is more interested in the kids having fun and making friends and giving out false platitudes (he is the John McCain of college coaching now)

we have yet to know if post-LSU Les is Mack Brown or someone that gives a shit and wants to go out having proven something

The only difference between the way LSU fired Les and the way we fired Mack, is LSU didn't let Les hang around until he gutted the program. Les doesn't still have it, LSU pushed him out before it got to the point where the program would have to rebuild.

Les' last 3 years (not including the year he got fired): 10-3, 8-5, 9-3... 27-11

Mack's last 3 years: 8-5, 9-4, 8-5... 25-14

Really not that much of a difference. Hiring a has been is never the answer for a program that needs energy and a total rebuild. Les was 28-21 at Oklahoma State... What do you think is going to happen at Kansas now that he is 65? If Kansas wants to be competitive they would make a run at Seth Littrell who would likely bring Graham Harrell with him, those two would turn their offense around by the end of year 1. You see it all across the country, Syracuse, Purdue, Baylor (under Art), Texas Tech (Leach), Hawaii, Fresno State, UCF, North Texas (Littrell), Washington State (Leach), the list goes on and on of programs that are built around offense because it is the easiest side of the ball to mask talent deficiencies and exploit the little talent you do have (in Kansas case, Pooka Williams). Very rarely do you see a poor program that has been bad for years get turned around by defense. Iowa State is the only recent example I can think of, as well as Rutgers under Schiano.

8 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

The only difference between the way LSU fired Les and the way we fired Mack, is LSU didn't let Les hang around until he gutted the program. Les doesn't still have it, LSU pushed him out before it got to the point where the program would have to rebuild.

Les' last 3 years (not including the year he got fired): 10-3, 8-5, 9-3... 27-11

Mack's last 3 years: 8-5, 9-4, 8-5... 25-14

Really not that much of a difference. Hiring a has been is never the answer for a program that needs energy and a total rebuild. Les was 28-21 at Oklahoma State... What do you think is going to happen at Kansas now that he is 65? If Kansas wants to be competitive they would make a run at Seth Littrell who would likely bring Graham Harrell with him, those two would turn their offense around by the end of year 1. You see it all across the country, Syracuse, Purdue, Baylor (under Art), Texas Tech (Leach), Hawaii, Fresno State, UCF, North Texas (Littrell), Washington State (Leach), the list goes on and on of programs that are built around offense because it is the easiest side of the ball to mask talent deficiencies and exploit the little talent you do have (in Kansas case, Pooka Williams). Very rarely do you see a poor program that has been bad for years get turned around by defense. Iowa State is the only recent example I can think of, as well as Rutgers under Schiano.

the problem with what you are saying is that what Littrell and Harrell (if Harrell even came with him) brings nothing new to what the Big 12 defenses know about

I think Littrell is a good coach and if he is smart he will get away from the shit hole that is north Texas state even if it for an AAC job, but he is not going to get it done at Kansas

everyone knows exactly what he will run and ho to defend it and even places like Baylor and Texas Tech are going to out recruit him Vs Kansas

Fresno and Hawaii are two of the "better" programs in the MWC especially Fresno and Hawaii benefits from the big ass Tongans and other Islanders

Syracuse and Purdue are running something that is UNCOMMON in their conference and even if the ACC does have some similar offenses Syracuse still has better facilities than a lot of other ACC programs it is not like the ACC is loaded with programs that give a shit about football hence the fact that it was basically FSU and Clemson and now it is just Clemson carrying the load....other teams in the ACC that have good seasons are just doing so because they have a decent coach and recruiter no matter the system they run

and leach at WSU has still done jack shit of significance and I am sure this year will be the same.....yea he wins some games recently against shit OOC and the rest of the PAC 12 has pretty much gone to shit and he is there to benefit from that, but it will not last (between new coaches coming in, lazy recruiting and a tendency to self destruct) long enough for him to even do shit of significance

I am not arguing that KU is looking to be "great" they would accept what WSU has right now for a long time from any coach, but they are not going to get that in the Big 12 running an offense that 60% of the Big 12 runs and that is FAILING a number of them (like OkState, TCU, and even Tech to a degree with a slight exception for this season)

there is a reason Snyder at KSU was able to make it work for so long because he was the outlier (although now he does not innovate, his recruiting has gone to shit probably because of questions about how long he will be there and everyone knows what to expect every year) and there is a reason that ISU was able to improve.....because they went with something DIFFERENT

and I would expect that Miles if he really wants to coach has at least been trying to pick up some things to change and he will recruit a hell of a lot better than Seth Littrell will

it is not a bash on Littrell, but he has a benefit from being in a totally shitty conference, playing in the half of the conference that has just let their programs go to shit, some scheduling that has worked out for him and he can clearly coach somewhat well, but he has also shit the bed already this season and probably will some more before it is done.....and most of all he is not nearly well enough known or proven to think that he will go to Kansas and do the same shit that 60% of the Big 12 does and do it better than the others do.....that is a horrible bet for many reasons.....he is Kliff without the stupid GQ attitude and the total "don't give a shit" attitude about defense, special teams, clock management and discipline (although he has not shown to be great at several of those either) 

Kliff got lucky because no matter what stupid leach fans think Tubberville left Kliff with some decent talent and because Tech has given him forever and a day to get to 8 wins while KU does not have that luxury nor will they improve trying to wait it out.....especially running the same offense that is failing at OkState, just doing meh at Tech, is just OK at TCU without a great QB, and that Baylor has really changed up and that OU has the top athletes for

Les may well fail wherever he ends up (if anywhere), but I believe he has been biding his time to get back to coaching and to make it work Vs. Mack where it was clear from day 1 after he was fired from Texas that he no longer had the will or the desire to try again anywhere else

and true LSU fired Les before it all fell apart, but it was falling apart at LSU as much or more because their fans were so tired of getting shitted on by Saban that had left them and was/is now at Bama and at a program like LSU, Texas, USC, tOSU or the like once the fans and the media and everyone else turns on you then you better develop a heart murmur or some brain eating amoebas and GTFO to "retire" and really you should do that after your first 9 win season after a top 1-5 season....corch irving mayor is an asshole and a pile of shit, but he sure as fuck understands the idea of GTFO when things are good and before they go to shit and I give him a lot of credit for that as far as building a rep (saban did the same except well he fell into Bama)

I don't think you can look at what Les or a similar coach did at LSU and say "well he got fired can't coach" when the fact is the fans and media ruins their own shit worse than anyone...does that mean he has studied up, rested, tanned, has an O and OC in place to be successful at Kansas who the fuck knows, but if I was Kansas I would damn sure take that risk over Littrell (even though I like Litrell personally and he has done well at a perennial shit pile) especially considering Littrell is going to run the same shit that Big 12 defenses see 6 times a season at least and he will be doing it with Kansas recruits for several seasons starting out

6 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

You realize he was at OSU before LSU right?   And OSU was a fucking laughingstock before he showed up and won there.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You realize he was at OSU before LSU right?   And OSU was a fucking laughingstock before he showed up and won there.  

Yeah, but the Big 12 wasn’t the high scoring offensive league then that it is now. Not saying he can’t get it going at Kansas, but it’s a different league. 

I’m well aware of that. If this were the 90s the shit he trotted out of offense would be sufficient. But anyone that thinks he’s gonna be able to recruit talent to compete in the big 12 without outscoring everyone like the last time KU was worth a damn, is fooling themselves.

@ButtFumble

Okay, I'm not going to address all of that because it is a novel, just going to make a couple of points.

1. Leach turned Washington State around, they are currently 8-1 and ranked 8th in the CFP. The guy is making chicken salad out of chicken shit. Leach inherited a program that went 9-40 the 4 years before he got there. He is now 46-39 almost through his 7th. The guy does more with less than just about anybody in the country, Texas Tech had 6 AP top 25 finishes as a program before Leach arrived, in Leach's 10 seasons they had 5... Complaining that Leach hasn't won a Pac 12 title or division title is like complaining that Matt Campbell hasn't done anything of significance at Iowa State.

2. It is Syracuse and Purdue... Syracuse and Purdue...

3. Mike Leach and Mark Mangino (at Kansas) both ran offenses in this conference that had already been seen in this conference and succeeded at their respective jobs in terms of the ceilings of those jobs. Both were OC's at OU and both took the same system and succeeded as HCs in the Big 12. Kliff isn't succeeding simply because Kliff isn't a good HC, it has nothing to do with the offense he is running. His offense led Manziel to a Heisman and aggy to their best overall season since 1998. He just isn't a HC but Tech really doesn't have a choice because they want Kliff to succeed because they know if he does, he isn't going to leave and Tech doesn't want to be a stepping stone program, so they wait. 60% of the Big 12 is not running the air raid. Baylor has never run the air raid, Oklahoma State doesn't run the air raid. The only school that runs anything like it is Texas Tech.

4. If Les still had it, he would have never let it slip at LSU. I just don't see it at Kansas

1 minute ago, Texas25 said:

@ButtFumble

Okay, I'm not going to address all of that because it is a novel, just going to make a couple of points.

1. Leach turned Washington State around, they are currently 8-1 and ranked 8th in the CFP. The guy is making chicken salad out of chicken shit. Leach inherited a program that went 9-40 the 4 years before he got there. He is now 46-39 almost through his 7th. The guy does more with less than just about anybody in the country, Texas Tech had 6 AP top 25 finishes as a program before Leach arrived, in Leach's 10 seasons they had 5... Complaining that Leach hasn't won a Pac 12 title or division title is like complaining that Matt Campbell hasn't done anything of significance at Iowa State.

2. It is Syracuse and Purdue... Syracuse and Purdue...

3. Mike Leach and Mark Mangino (at Kansas) both ran offenses in this conference that had already been seen in this conference and succeeded at their respective jobs in terms of the ceilings of those jobs. Both were OC's at OU and both took the same system and succeeded as HCs in the Big 12. Kliff isn't succeeding simply because Kliff isn't a good HC, it has nothing to do with the offense he is running. His offense led Manziel to a Heisman and aggy to their best overall season since 1998. He just isn't a HC but Tech really doesn't have a choice because they want Kliff to succeed because they know if he does, he isn't going to leave and Tech doesn't want to be a stepping stone program, so they wait. 60% of the Big 12 is not running the air raid. Baylor has never run the air raid, Oklahoma State doesn't run the air raid. The only school that runs anything like it is Texas Tech.

4. If Les still had it, he would have never let it slip at LSU. I just don't see it at Kansas

My advice: don't engage with ButtFumble on Mike Leach.