Jeff Sessions forced to resign

Zonahorn

I'm not a fan of Chris Christie but I don't see him telling Trump that he will shut down the Mueller investigation immediately.  Which is the main only criteria for the job.

Of course my guess is that Mueller has been constantly prepared for the day he is fired.  Meaning that a current report is ready for the DOJ, Congress and American public at all times.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not a fan of Chris Christie but I don't see him telling Trump that he will shut down the Mueller investigation immediately.  Which is the main only criteria for the job.

Of course my guess is that Mueller has been constantly prepared for the day he is fired.  Meaning that a current report is ready for the DOJ, Congress and American public at all times.

yeah, at this point he probably has all he needs on the big players, he's probably still completing his work on all the peons that made it happen

Seems like the theory is that Whitaker won't be the AG nominee.  In other words, he is there to hold down the office and fire Mueller and Rosenstein on his way out.  Then the new AG doesn't have to get his hands dirty.

Has anyone asked if Whitaker really can be named the acting AG?  I would think it had to be a person that has been confirmed by the Senate for at least some role.   Would be great if one of the US Attorneys refused to follow Whitaker's order on the grounds Whitaker has zero authority.  The US Attorney would soon be fired but it would at least create some drama as who has the authority to fire the US attorney.  Maybe Mueller will be the person to refuse to follow Whitaker's orders.  In other words, only Rosenstein has legal authority over Mueller.

22 hours ago, retread said:

This is an interesting take but not sure if fully feasible.  But if this worked, could a President and Congress decide to give SCOTUS or any independent agency $0 in annual budget.   Many govt groups or depts are fully dependent on Congress or the Administration to fund them.  They have zero options outside of that.

1 minute ago, retread said:

^

Can someone create a sitcom about the home life of a couple where one works as the aide to a crazy President and the other regularly writes article calling the President crazy or calls his actions illegal?   Each week will have a misunderstanding that gets wrapped up by the end of the episode.  I'd watch.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This is an interesting take but not sure if fully feasible.  But if this worked, could a President and Congress decide to give SCOTUS or any independent agency $0 in annual budget.   Many govt groups or depts are fully dependent on Congress or the Administration to fund them.  They have zero options outside of that.

I assume federal is the same as state.  Oklahoma made massive cuts to the DA's and Judges so the counties/municipalities just raised fines and fees on all their court cases to keep the system moving.  It's fairly easy to make a place basically non functioning, the State Dept. for example,  just by cutting the budget.  Happens all the time.  Not sure if there are minimal requirements for SCOTUS/Dept of Justice, but I doubt it.  Folks forever just assumed the right thing to do is fund them.  New world we live in now.  

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can someone create a sitcom about the home life of a couple where one works as the aide to a crazy President and the other regularly writes article calling the President crazy or calls his actions illegal?   Each week will have a misunderstanding that gets wrapped up by the end of the episode.  I'd watch.

I can't figure out this situation at all.  

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seems like the theory is that Whitaker won't be the AG nominee.  In other words, he is there to hold down the office and fire Mueller and Rosenstein on his way out.  Then the new AG doesn't have to get his hands dirty.

Let’s say he could fire Rosenstein and Mueller.   

He can’t destroy all of the evidence that Mueller collected.  Come January, Mueller would be back continuing his investigation, only in the employ of the House.  That would be even worse news for Trump, because Trump would have absolutely no leverage or knowledge of what Mueller is doing.  

My non-legal background opinion is that Whitaker is there to snoop around and report back to Trump and Co.

18 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Extended silence continues on Rosenstein's status.  Until he's fired, he appears to be the acting AG despite what distorted fantasy Trump spews.

We've lost the ability to govern ourselves. Make my scotch a double when happy hour comes and throw one of those little umbrellas in there.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I can't figure out this situation at all.  

Buddy thinks KellyAnne doesn’t care for Trump (only a job), and she’s more than happy to let George do his thing, maybe even tossing in suggestions.  

Still amazed that Trump hasn’t fired her because of it.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Buddy thinks KellyAnne doesn’t care for Trump (only a job), and she’s more than happy to let George do his thing, maybe even tossing in suggestions.  

I'd rather she be fully onboard with his nonsense.  She's an even more terrible person if she knows what she's doing is awful, but does it anyway.

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Lol

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Agreed. I don't think a single sentient female in America even remotely likes him. Almost every educated female loathes him. His only female fans are insane ladies, furious Linda Tripp types and battered women from severe evangelical upbringings (like Sarah Sanders).

I wonder if Longhorngirlie likes him. She's the dividing line.

Edited by Agent47

41 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'd rather she be fully onboard with his nonsense.  She's an even more terrible person if she knows what she's doing is awful, but does it anyway.

She’s the worst of the worst.  She comes from the Mercer/Bannon/Cambridge Analytica tree and was a big part of the 2016 Ted Cruz Campaign.

She is the ultimate soulless political mercenary.

47 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

^^^ Whitaker's appointment is unconstitutional (violated the Appointment Clause of the Constitution) because he is not Senate confirmed and, unlike Mueller, reports directly to the president.

also:

According to UT Law professor Steve Vladek, the Federal Reform Vacancies Act of 1998 gives him authority to appoint Whitaker in an "acting" role for up to 7 months. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-wants-stop-mueller-jeff-sessions-resignation-matthew-whitaker-s-ncna934161

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

According to UT Law professor Steve Vladek, the Federal Reform Vacancies Act of 1998 gives him authority to appoint Whitaker in an "acting" role for up to 7 months. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-wants-stop-mueller-jeff-sessions-resignation-matthew-whitaker-s-ncna934161

I agree with Neal Katyal and George Conway that the Appointments Clause controls here because the AG is a principal officer. 

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That 2007 memo reads like President Bush told the DOJ to allow him to get around the law and they created the memo.  At that point, the Deputy Attorney General and Associate Attorney General roles were vacant, and presumably Bush didn't want the Solicitor General to take on the acting AG role when Alberto Gonzales resigned.  I'm also guessing that no one really cared so Bush could do what he wanted.

Since the Mueller investigation is on-going, there is a conflict of interest of having the President to just drop in anyone that is not in the appropriate line of succession and hasn't been approved by the Senate.  

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Every episode ends in a hate fuck.

No one could have seen this coming

Whitaker backlash prompts concern at the White House

"(CNN) - There is a growing sense of concern inside the White House over the negative reaction to Matthew Whitaker being tapped as acting attorney general after Jeff Sessions' abrupt firing.

Whitaker, who was Sessions' chief of staff, has faced criticism since Wednesday afternoon's announcement for his previous comments on special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation.

Several senior officials told CNN they were surprised by the criticism, and believe it could potentially jeopardize Whitaker's chances of remaining in the post if it continues to dominate headlines.

[...]

It was not widely known among White House staff that he'd commented repeatedly on the special counsel's investigation in interviews and on television -- which is ironic given that this is what drew President Donald Trump to him and raises continued questions over the depth of the administration's vetting process."