Cam Rising, Casey Thompson, Jerrod Heard

Huckleberry

So let's say Ehlinger can't go on Friday. All three of the players in the subject line are available to play QB in packages because of the new redshirt rule. Whether that might be because Herman doesn't want Buechele running too much or if Buechele gets hurt during the game.

On defense the Jayhawks are much more effective running the ball, so you have to wonder if players like Ojomo and Coburn might be considered available because of the same reason. Starting with this week's game there is absolutely no chance of there being more than four games left in the season. Before the Iowa State game maybe the coaches had figured before the season that in some miracle world where we go to the CFP that there could have been four games after Iowa State. Obviously we knew before Saturday that wasn't happening but coaches can be stubborn. I am interested to see how many teams and coaches use this new rule to get young pups some playing time starting this weekend.

Considering Ehlinger's shoulder I don't see any reason these guys shouldn't have a package of maybe 5-10 plays each that they are ready to run. Not to broach a topic we don't want to think about, but it's also not like it's a statistical impossibility that Buechele and Ehlinger both get dinged up even if Ehlinger is cleared to play Friday. And yes, I included Jerrod Heard because obviously he can run in an emergency situation and with the emergence of Johnson and Humphrey this year it's not a bad idea to tell him to just throw it high and far if there's single coverage on one of those guys outside.

The Big 12 limits football travel squads to 70, so that definitely presents an obstacle this week.

Oh wait, there's an exception for one game. 

jKLamyB.png

So assuming we haven't used that exception yet we name up to 70 juniors, sophomores, and freshmen and then call all the seniors exceptions.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The Big 12 limits football travel squads to 70, so that definitely presents an obstacle this week.

jKLamyB.png

So assuming we haven't used that exception yet we name up to 70 juniors, sophomores, and freshmen and then call all the seniors exceptions.

Are B12 CCG and a bowl game also subject to 70 player travel limit?

If game gets out of hand, its a thought.  But its also good to get your first team quality practice reps as well.  

Id think DLine would benenfit from a fresh legs rotation.  Just depends on how big a drop off there is.  (Is a tired Chris Nelson better than a fresh Christmas-giles?). 

Edited by Matagorda

Read the post. Yeah if Sam can’t go and Shane can’t go, of course 1 of those guys will play. That kinda goes without saying. And at that point, the plays will be whatever that guy runs best. 

Also you did lead with “all 3 are available to play in packages”...dude

Edited by taybo20

13 minutes ago, Matagorda said:

If game gets out of hand, its a thought.  But its also good to get your first team quality practice reps as well.  

when you say if the game gets out of hand you mean if we are losing right? we absolutely should be prepared to insert Rising in if Buechele is struggling. a mobile qb can really jump start an offense.

Of course, but dammit Ive tried to block that very real possibility out of my mind.

Frankly, based on our lack of seeing Rising play has me thinking Boo has no intention of transferring.  And if thats the case, the QB room is going to be awfully crowded and it might be good to get Cam some playing time to keep him motivated.  

I wouldn't mind seeing LJH taking snaps in goal line situations since he's bigger and has done it in game situations already this season.  Jump passes (as mentioned up the thread) and other wrinkles like WR screens are good PA options out of the formation.  The fact that he's already completed a few passes this season helps IMO.  It also helps that Heard can play the slot like he did against Tech.

Edited by Whatever
grammar

I mean it is Kansas. They suck and I have long heard that Beaty wasn’t all that popular with the team, I really don’t think they’ll put up much of a fight for him on Friday. 

If Buechele gets hurt, just get a walk on to hand it off to Ingram/Watson/Young/Carter the entire game. Should be more than enough to get the W.

the only way that Thompson, Rising, or Heard should or will play QB, is if Sam can't go and Shane gets injured. Shane has earned the right for this to be his game, if Sam is unable to play. If Sam can play, then Sam should play. We are one game away from the conference championship game and you have to play your best players. If we get a big lead, then the back ups can get a few snaps. That is the only way that Rising and/or Thompson see the field. If Sam plays and gets hurt, then you deal with it at that time. It would be a different situation if this game had no meaning, but that is not the case.

The 70 limit should be no problem for the ‘play em all’ strategy, for the most part. If we have 79 on scholarship now, leave the 4 freshman OL, Hudson, Porter, Carter, and 2 other guys you think will have minimal chance to be useful— Grandy or Rowland maybe. 

Definitely want to leave Grandy at home. Dude won’t be much use.

Shane probably plays the entire game.

He didn't miss a pass (or throw the ball away when he should've) last game. Lets see what he can do.

Obviously prepare Cam and Casey for duty if they are needed. But realistically, if the game is tight enough, and Shane isn't cutting it or gets hurt, just play Sam. I don't think Sam is hurt bad enough to keep him out if we were playing Texas Tech, but since we are playing Kansas, I think Tom wants to let him keep healing. Shit, the way the defense was playing against Iowa State, he had Sam telling him he could go, and still left Shane out there.

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Is this sarcasm? 70 players is enough to go 3 deep at every position on the field on both sides of the ball. When is the last time Texas got even remotely close to playing 70 guys in one game?

If the coaching staff can't figure out which 70 guys to take I'm going to wonder what the hell they are getting paid to do. 

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

I mean it is Kansas. They suck and I have long heard that Beaty wasn’t all that popular with the team, I really don’t think they’ll put up much of a fight for him on Friday. 

If Buechele gets hurt, just get a walk on to hand it off to Ingram/Watson/Young/Carter the entire game. Should be more than enough to get the W.

The same Carter who hasn’t taken a snap all season? Cool. 

I would recommend reading the post, internalizing it, digesting it, then asking that question again. I know it's hard for most posters around here to comprehend more than two sentences at a time but go ahead and give it a shot.

Too long didn’t read. I think it has to do with digestion. The answer is Pepto Bismol.

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

I really don’t think they’ll put up much of a fight for him on Friday. 

I think you underestimate how much teams hate Texas.  Plus senior night, last game of the season, last home game, etc...  

They might not be very good, but they're going to play hard.  

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

jKLamyB.png

my guess is we use the exception for Texas OU game but who knows.