Great Quotes

Lao Tzu

Many years ago, when my first kid was young, I printed out a bunch of quotes on colored paper (different colors), cut them out and pasted them onto a poster board.  I then framed it and hung it in his room.  Some of the quotes I selected:

Knowledge itself is power - Francis Bacon

Know thyself - Inscribed on the Temple of Apollo

Vulgo enim dicitur: 'incundi acti labores'.  (For it is commonly said, "hard tasks are pleasant when they are finished") - Marcus Tullius Cicero

He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill.  Our antagonist is our helper.  - Edmund Burke

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

Faber est suae quisque fortunae (Each man is the architect of his own destiny) - Appius Claudius Caecus

• Like 2

I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). - Albert Camus

Governing a great state is like cooking small fish.

Let the kingdom be governed according to the Tao, and the manes of
the departed will not manifest their spiritual energy. It is not that
those manes have not that spiritual energy, but it will not be
employed to hurt men. It is not that it could not hurt men, but
neither does the ruling sage hurt them.

When these two do not injuriously affect each other, their good
influences converge in the virtue of the Tao.

In offering to you, my countrymen, these counsels of an old and affectionate friend, I dare not hope they will make the strong and lasting impression I could wish; that they will control the usual current of the passions, or prevent our nation from running the course, which has hitherto marked the destiny of nations. But, if I may even flatter myself, that they may be productive of some partial benefit, some occasional good; that they may now and then recur to moderate the fury of party spirit, to warn against the mischiefs of foreign intrigue, to guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism; this hope will be a full recompense for the solicitude for your welfare, by which they have been dictated.

- George Washington's Farewell Address

(Emphasis Added even though this is in no way applicable to current events whatsoever)

“Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."”

Written inside the Lincoln Memorial. Maybe God wants us to fight until we’ve wasted every bit of wealth the slaves gave us and we’ve bled every bit as much as them. Pretty dark for an inauguration speech, Abe. 

"Was I brought here merely to have my nose dragged away as I was about to nibble the sacred cheese of life? It is preposterous. If this old ninny-woman, Fate, cannot do better than this, she should be deprived of the management of men's fortunes. She is an old hen who knows not her intention. If she has decided to drown me, why did she not do it in the beginning and save me all this trouble. The whole affair is absurd." Stephen Crane

• 2 years later...