Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

50 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Another T-90 #Wasted, GTA-style!

I guess that isn't a Javelin hit because they fly up and then down on top of the turret.  Or maybe "direct fire" mode, because that tank looks like it took the hit in center mass.  NLAW are similar.  Russia better hope that wasn't an AT4.  

Could have been a HEAT round from another tank, too.

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I don't buy that for one moment.  38 traditionally-sized brigades would be larger than their entire active land force (army), and there's no way they are calling up 100,000+ reserves.  They have around 30,000 soldiers, around 60,000 active personnel in total (including Air Force, air defenses, etc.), with another 340,000 reserves.  And they do not have 38 brigades in their army.

Plus, me thinks the Belarus government is going to keep plenty of soldiers around in case of protests/uprisings in Belarus.

Even if those were 38 traditionally-sized battalions, that's pretty much their entire active army (minus reserves), and there is no way every one of those battalions would be considered an "assault" battalion, not even close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

I work with several former Apache pilots and when they saw pictures of that column I swear they started salivating...

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

That’s their target like a seal is for a Great White. 

Or it's their target like Great White is for a nightclub with shitty fire safety.

• Rage+1 1

A little cocktail napkin math and in a single week RU lost 450% more tanks than we did in all of Desert Storm(30 were destroyed)

More numbers- the 100 plus tanks taken out in the first week would be the equivalent of losing of 45% of First Armor in the opening week bad. Take in the ability differences and it is over 60% bad.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't buy that for one moment.  38 traditionally-sized brigades would be larger than their entire active land force (army), and there's no way they are calling up 100,000+ reserves.  They have around 30,000 soldiers, around 60,000 active personnel in total (including Air Force, air defenses, etc.), with another 340,000 reserves.  And they do not have 38 brigades in their army.

Plus, me thinks the Belarus government is going to keep plenty of soldiers around in case of protests/uprisings in Belarus.

Even if those were 38 traditionally-sized battalions, that's pretty much their entire active army (minus reserves), and there is no way every one of those battalions would be considered an "assault" battalion, not even close.

Remember back in powdered wig days when commanders would deliberately field understrength units and draw pay and rations for all the imaginary troops? Maybe some sort of similar dodge takes place in honest upstanding Belarus.

Or else Battalions become Brigades the same way BMPs become tanks.

• Hook 'Em 2

The de-Nazification is code for a Russian friendly regime. Any leaning towards Europe is seen as the work of neo-Nazis. Not saying there aren’t neo Nazi elements in Ukraine, because there are. But they’re constantly exaggerated by Russia for domestic propaganda purposes. 
I don’t know what the latest demands are in the peace talks. If I was in charge of Ukraine I would be hesitant to sign any agreement that limited my country’s ability to defend itself through either arms purchases or military alliances, while I have a neighbor’s invading army in my country who already signed a memorandum saying they’d protect our sovereignty. 

Thanks, good response. But I ask you: what’s the alternative? Ukraine is already limited its ability to defend itself. The options are to keep fighting and lose everything, or find a way to give Putin an off ramp (for now) and survive. Or win in a heads-up fight against a crazy person with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

Just now, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

A little cocktail napkin math and in a single week RU lost 450% more tanks than we did in all of Desert Storm.

More numbers- the 100 plus tanks taken out in the first would be the equivalent of losing of 45% of First Armor in the opening week.

503931CA-DACF-43C4-BFCB-D1A7E729CCE1.gif

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Remember back in powdered wig days when commanders would deliberately field understrength units and draw pay and rations for all the imaginary troops? Maybe some sort of similar dodge takes place in honest upstanding Belarus.

Or else Battalions become Brigades the same way BMPs become tanks.

I'm having a hard time believing they could even field 38 assault battalions, since that would be pretty much their entire active duty army.

38 assault companies sounds much more plausible - that would be 6,000 troops or so (although it's probably like 1,500-2,000 actual infantry).

That leaves room in the regular army for all of the logistics and support folks.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1. I think Zelensky has been up front on the risks of death, realistic about the help he can get, and said that what they value is worth dying for.  He was offered asylum and he chose the Patriot's path.  So encouraging them to fight on is where we are.
2. The longer the war takes the shorter Putin's lifespan is part of the equation
3. It's not about beating Russia it is about not letting Russia win. A stalemate is victory for Ukraine because Russia will fold
4. De-Nazification means putting a Putin puppet in charge.  Ukraine is solidly against that now.

If the West started telling Zelensky to abandon the suicide mission I think he’d listen.

3 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

St. Javelin

I have no doubt that at least 300 Russian armored vehicles (tanks, infantry/mech, etc.) have been knocked out.  The data/OSINT nerds have tracked close to that number just with photos and videos, and that's ignoring the areas secured by Russians and the stuff not photographed.

If those were just tanks, that's 900+ Russian soldiers out-of-action, plus over $250 million dollars in lost equipment that Russia won't be able to easily replace.

But many of those are going to be infantry carriers of some type, which means potentially 1,500 - 2,000+ soldiers don't have a ride (and how many would have been killed or surrendered?).

And that's going to leave dozens, if not hundreds of skittish officers and NCOs.

• Hook 'Em 2

Their failure to take and hold advance airfields near Kyiv, both because they were repulsed by Ukrainians, but also because even if they captured them, there's going to be plenty of folks within Stinger range, is huge.  Completely wipes out their ability to rush in hundreds of troops to exploit any openings they create, and it means they can't start building a true airbridge.  Even just building a temporary airfield near Kyiv would be huge.

Nuts that they are this shitty at it, but again, they haven't had the experiences we did, because they didn't need it in Chechnya, Georgia, etc.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I guess that isn't a Javelin hit because they fly up and then down on top of the turret.  Or maybe "direct fire" mode, because that tank looks like it took the hit in center mass.  NLAW are similar.  Russia better hope that wasn't an AT4.  

Could have been a HEAT round from another tank, too.

In my first iteration of jobs, I was on the flight test team for the LOSAT missile at WSMR.  We hit a couple tanks with the missiles and it was UGLY.  I'd hate to be anyone inside.  The round went in through the front then out through the back.  Anyone inside would have died from the massive overpressure as the round went in, which would be nice, since they wouldn't feel the pain of dying from the the 1500 deg temperature increase over milliseconds and then having parts of them sucked out through the exit hole.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

All you nuke guys how badly does fire affect those reactors?

From what little I understand. It won't explode like a bomb or anything, but it can crack and leak and turn into another Chernobyl depending on where they shell.

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

From what little I understand. It won't explode like a bomb or anything, but it can crack and leak and turn into another Chernobyl depending on where they shell.

My biggest concern would be losing power to pumps needed to cool the reactor. Hopefully the reactors have been shutdown.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Well, safety systems should act to shut everything down automatically should anyone system fail, i.e. coolant, power, etc.  So nothing like Chernobyl, where all the safety systems were deliberately bypassed. Additionally, the Chernobyl control rods had graphite tips that the operators didn't know about which is what actually caused the explosion because when they went to reinsert the control rods (that should have never been removed to the level that they were, a whole different problem), the graphite caused the reaction to spike, thus causing the actual explosion.  To my knowledge the Russians actually did change this practice moving forward and retroactively replaced the boron control rods that had graphite tips.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Here’s a reference: The Charge of the Light Brigade

Charge of the Light Brigade was the British fighting in Crimea, not defending their own land. Although against Russia, so points there. 

Think more Alamo, Fort McHenry, or Thermopylae. 

We all have to figure out what’s worth fighting for, and possibly dying for. Sometimes we don’t even know until there’s a stark decision in front of us. 

28 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Thanks, good response. But I ask you: what’s the alternative? Ukraine is already limited its ability to defend itself. The options are to keep fighting and lose everything, or find a way to give Putin an off ramp (for now) and survive. Or win in a heads-up fight against a crazy person with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, Russia just marches in and attacks a nuclear reactor and might cause a meltdown?
Why are we putting up with this shit?

News is now all over it, Ukraine saying increasing radiation levels, I have no idea the actual danger or how that shit works at all, but it sounds kinda bad.

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

So Russia has troops in Moldova in the break-away region, as well as Georgia.

The timing of this is going to ramp Putin's paranoia up even more.

And as paranoid as Putin is, wonder if he'll have to move some troops around.