Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 minutes ago, Wade said:

First, let me apologize by "shitpost".  I thought you were fucking with the OP.

Second, I am normally aligned with your way of thinking, but this is a very unique situation, and I think it requires much more nuanced responses than we've been doing.

At any rate, the world has come together to condemn Putin and Russia here in impactful ways (even if they haven't impacted quite yet).  In fact, I might argue the opposite position here.  I'm wondering if this global unified response to Putin has made Xi rethink his Taiwan ambitions.

Apology accepted, but unnecessary. You're not going to hurt my feelings. I feel like you're honestly engaging in dialogue. That's all I ever really ask for. I'm here to discuss, not provide solutions. What fuck good does it do to "solve" things on a message board? We're not getting anything done here except trying to make sense of it, and have some kind of back and forth about what's going on. There has to be room for people to hold different opinions on this stuff.

As far as nuanced response, you might very well be correct. But when you're putting together a coalition, nuanced responses go out the window unfortunately. The more people you include in decision making, the less nuanced you can get. 

It's why I tend to frown on government intervention. No matter how good the intentions, there are always unintended consequences. For me, most of the time those unintended consequences weren't worth the initial action.

Which goes to your point. That's exactly what you're arguing here. It's not that I don't think you have an extremely valid point of view. I do. It's just for me a massive military invasion is the place where you take some kind of stand. Especially when the world's inaction back in 2014 is what caused the current crisis in the first place as far as I'm concerned.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't think china is as fucked up as people make them out to be. I think they are just different. China isn't off trying to conquer Japan. They are taking back Hong Kong (which is legally theirs) and Taiwan, which was once part of China and still technically is China (just the wrong China). If they were out trying to take the Philippines or some shit that would be different. I don't see china going on some manifest destiny conquer the world mission. They want to bolster their economy and prosper. I'm sure there is corruption there, but when you look at it there are distinct differences between china and Russia, especially the oligarchy driven nature of Russia and the communal property driven nature of China (however unfairly distributed). China eat their own as much as they eat others.

We have disagreements with China on how disproportionate their deals are and some of their tactics in not respecting international norms, but that's stupid to equate to a literal madman who murders and steals from his own country. 

Xi has definitely overseen the murder of his own people and political opposition, don't ever think he isn't capable of that.  That having been said, you are right in my opinion to look at them in an entirely different light that Putin and Russia.  Biggest difference, China economically matters, Russia, not even close.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

"Get on out there Linds and say some unbelievably unthinkable shit! You alone can say it. Marc can't bring himself to do it. Your shameless. Get out there and shine."

*not a real convo due to plausible deniability

The notion that the Biden administration would say "hey Lindsey, take your dainty bitch ass to Twitter and beg the Russians to assassinate Putin for me" is fucking laughable

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Xi has definitely overseen the murder of his own people and political opposition, don't ever think he isn't capable of that.  That having been said, you are right in my opinion to look at them in an entirely different light that Putin and Russia.  Biggest difference, China economically matters, Russia, not even close.

I didn't say that he wasn't, but c'mon we fucking let a bunch of assholes kill hundreds of thousands of people with opoids here and turned a blind eye. For every example you give me there we've done something probably equally as shitty. Our democracy is the main difference, because our politicians don't openly kill each other anymore. You better believe they used to do it all the fucking time though and not too long ago mind you. 

Power and corruption go hand in hand, we just defend the 1st amendment and put people's shit on blast a bit more than the rest. 

Speaking of Ukrainian farmers hauling off all kinds of Russian vehicles, it speaks volumes that they are doing it.

These are slow-ass tractors, and it's out in the open.

And yet there are no Russian helicopters flying around trying to take out captured Russian equipment (edit: to prevent it from being used against them), that is ostensibly within their area of operations.  They aren't driving these vehicles into downtown Kyiv and running away.  They are abandoning them in the areas they are operating in.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Serious question here:

As a child of the 80s and as scary as some aspects of the Cold War were, like waking up in a cold sweat at the age of 12 after watching "The Day After", there was always some degree of reassurance that Soviet leadership had some sort of intricate decision-making process. It was murky as shit, and I never fully understood it (still don't as I'm not a student of the USSR). But there was always that term Kremlinology that was thrown around that made me feel like there were always ongoing consultations/debates among mysterious committees which led Soviet actions. And, after all, the Russians really did seem to love their children too when it came to nuclear annihilation, which is why we survived it.

In this case, are all decisions made at the whim of a single man? Are there some sort of internal checks and balances like what appeared to be the case in Soviet times? Because, if not, this actually might be more dangerous.

Edit: @956 Worldwide

It has always been this precarious. Back then they made up the story about control so you could sleep at night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I didn't say that he wasn't, but c'mon we fucking let a bunch of assholes kill hundreds of thousands of people with opoids here and turned a blind eye. For every example you give me there we've done something probably equally as shitty. Our democracy is the main difference, because our politicians don't openly kill each other anymore. You better believe they used to do it all the fucking time though and not too long ago mind you. 

Power and corruption go hand in hand, we just defend the 1st amendment and put people's shit on blast a bit more than the rest. 

The opoid field is not in my wheelhouse beyond to say this: "Fuck the Sacklers!".  We certainly have a checkered past when it comes to human rights.  We had Japanese internment camps not less than 80 years ago which aren't much different from what the Uyghurs are dealing with today (although to my knowledge we didn't attempt brain washing, but I digress).  I'm unaware of any recent congressman or woman openly attacking another congress person.  Hell the last time that happened to my knowledge was with Charles Sumner and Preston Brooks, but that was nearly 170 years ago, and no one died for the record, so the all the fucking time argument is well out the window, as well as the not too long ago argument.  

Sorry, I can neither refute your final sentence as it is entirely nonsensical.  

57 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

If they get off the road, they get stuck in the mud.

They abandon vehicles that get stuck in the mud. They're lost, at least to the ruskies.

Stunning video montage of the 3D satellite imagery, though!

This was in response to how could Ukraine hit them. Shit, even in the development world in shitty countries we would people out on our flanks at night. They have been there so long they should have moved personnel, not vehicles, off the road and you would see trails, etc. Sitting ducks if Ukraine could get them. Every is talking about A-10's or AC-130's drooling. Imagine being a 155 Battery Commander. 

• Drool 2

9 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

The opoid field is not in my wheelhouse beyond to say this: "Fuck the Sacklers!".  We certainly have a checkered past when it comes to human rights.  We had Japanese internment camps not less than 80 years ago which aren't much different from what the Uyghurs are dealing with today (although to my knowledge we didn't attempt brain washing, but I digress).  I'm unaware of any recent congressman or woman openly attacking another congress person.  Hell the last time that happened to my knowledge was with Charles Sumner and Preston Brooks, but that was nearly 170 years ago, and no one died for the record, so the all the fucking time argument is well out the window, as well as the not too long ago argument.  

As I make last sentence also entirely nonsensical.  Pot calling the kettle black.  

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Russia's military is like that clueless asshole who pulls next to you at the light in a 16 yr old Sentra with a duct taped fender and the catalytic converter removed. Then proceeds to rev it like he wants to race. 

adidas logo on the back window 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is a strange take that's difficult for me to unpack.

So people dying from strong pain relievers is equivalent to the Chinese government repression of Tibetans and the Uighurs? 

And I don't understand, "our politicians don't openly kill each other anymore. You better believe they used to do it all the fucking time though and not too long ago mind you." Which time period are you referring to when they did? 

It's hard to be successful in being corrupt without having some kind of power in some way, so sure. I can agree that power and corruption go together.

Hey, the human race is a complicated collection of traits. It's amazing we've reached the status of civilization we have. Progress isn't pretty, and often times requires a lot of steps back before it moves forward.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

There's also that whole slavery thing, plus the Jim Crow laws, the annihilation of the Native Americans, the Trail of Tears. We also have the highest incarceration rate in the world. I'm not actually attacking the US. The main argument I'd make is that there are mechanisms to hopefully correct the injustices, as imperfect as they may be. Those mechanisms do not exist in China, and will never exist under its current model. Especially now that Xi appears to be going down the ruler for life path that his 3 previous predecessors avoided, to their credit.

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

FILA. Adidas issued a boycott on Russia and their gopniks. 

Adidas.
Puma, to be different than the brother's company, Adidas, is doing the boycott a different way: deliveries to Russia have stopped, but they're keeping their stores in Russia open.

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/puma-says-deliveries-stopped-russia-stores-open-2022-03-02/

The Dassler brothers split their shoe company because of World War 2, strangely enough:
https://ghsexplosion.com/2842/features/adidas-vs-puma-a-history-of-two-brothers/
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-puma-and-adidas-rivalry-divided-their-founding-town-for-70-years-2018-10#to-date-there-are-still-puma-and-adidas-families-6

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Unfortunately we're those hostages in the bank with a nut job strapped to enough c4 to blow up a city block. We're watching the nut do nutty things but we can't do anything directly or else he could blow us all up. So the only real play is to wait him out and try to talk him down. 

There's no doubt in my mind he wasn't prepared for any of this. He thought it would be just like Chechnya where they waltz in and fuck shit up and no one cares. He never thought he'd trigger WW3 where literally all of Europe and America is against him and Ukraine is pulling out all the stops while he has no allies. Even his closest ones have turned their backs and China is sitting and watching shaking their heads. Therefore he's in desperation mode and talking all nuclear because he doesn't know what to do. We need to guide him to a cease fire and give him an out so he doesn't blow us all up. 

What's the out you propose? 

1 minute ago, BachelorTrek said:

Adidas.
Puma, to be different than the brother's company, Adidas, is doing the boycott a different way: deliveries to Russia have stopped, but they're keeping their stores in Russia open.

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/puma-says-deliveries-stopped-russia-stores-open-2022-03-02/

The Dassler brothers split their shoe company because of World War 2, strangely enough:
https://ghsexplosion.com/2842/features/adidas-vs-puma-a-history-of-two-brothers/
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-puma-and-adidas-rivalry-divided-their-founding-town-for-70-years-2018-10#to-date-there-are-still-puma-and-adidas-families-6

I never knew any of this. Fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 2

The meeting will be in person and will be chaired by the NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg. The Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Finland and Sweden

Spoiler

GENERAL

1. An extraordinary meeting of the North Atlantic Council (NAC) at the level of Ministers of Foreign Affairs will take place at the NATO Headquarters on Friday 04 March. The meeting will be in person and will be chaired by the NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg. The Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Finland and Sweden, as well as the European Union’s High Representative for Foreign And Security Policy, will take part.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

its possible that, like Rubio, he is getting this stuff cleared by WH.

"Go get him!" - somebody, Tuesday night  [/no Robert Gates]

According to Wundermaps, the winds for the next 10 days will range from the NW to the ENE.  So if a crack develops or radiation would somehow leak, it's headed toward the Russian troops on the southern front.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/ua/kamianka-dniprovska/I23KAMEN12

9 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Adidas.

Roger, but I do love my GSG9 boots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TejanoAtUT said:

The meeting will be in person and will be chaired by the NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg. The Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Finland and Sweden

Hide contents

GENERAL

1. An extraordinary meeting of the North Atlantic Council (NAC) at the level of Ministers of Foreign Affairs will take place at the NATO Headquarters on Friday 04 March. The meeting will be in person and will be chaired by the NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg. The Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Finland and Sweden, as well as the European Union’s High Representative for Foreign And Security Policy, will take part.

Maybe they're also going to discuss, in addition to war developments, if Russia declares martial law countrywide and what that could mean for NATO.

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

What's the out you propose? 

I wish I knew enough to have a specific answer to that. What I do know is in a situation like this it's best to surround the enemy on 3 sides making it clear they cannot win yet leaving that 4th side open for them to retreat. Exactly what to leave open for Putin I don't have the knowledge to say, but completely cornering him to where he feels a fight to the death is the only way can make this get very close to nuclear war. 

We don't know if Putin is hell bent on starting that nuclear war or not, but either way trying to stretch him out over time and talk him off the ledge is more likely to get a positive result than rushing into Ukraine to end his army or conpletely crippling his economy. The time for a show of force and deterrence by loading troops in the Ukraine was before he invaded. Now that he's pot committed it's a tight rope walk to keep this from getting too messy. 

Edited by Hermanator

31 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I never knew any of this. Fascinating.

Listen to the Business Wars podcast about it. Very interesting.

As for the rest of this shit going on, I have a close family member still blaming the west/US for this issue/absolving russia and although “impartial”, blaming Ukraine’s hostilities for this, even though my great grandparents immigrated from Lviv. What a fuck show that has been in my family’s group text. They may also still wear a certain red hat with white text… all they can do is try to big dick me on the historical minutia about why Russia is justified. Even  as pretty conservative as I am… just wow. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Listen to the Business Wars podcast about it. Very interesting.

As for the rest of this shit going on, I have a close family member still blaming the west/US for this issue/absolving russia and although “impartial”, blaming Ukraine’s hostilities for this, even though my great grandparents immigrated from Lviv. What a fuck show that has been in my family’s group text. They may also still wear a certain red hat with white text… all they can do is try to big dick me on the historical minutia about why Russia is justified. Even  as pretty conservative as I am… just wow. 

Was it Twain or PT Barnum that said, 'it is easier to fleece someone a second time than to get them to admit they got fleeced the first time?'

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

it's best to surround the enemy on 3 sides making it clear they cannot win yet leaving that 4th side open for them to retreat. Exactly what to leave open for Putin I don't have the knowledge to say, but completely cornering him

What to leave open for him to retreat?  There's something, and I can't quite put my finger on it....but I feel like there's something there.

out.thumb.jpg.2a874d55d3e0d12f336bce223f5fe183.jpg

I get what you are saying, but giving him a chunk of Ukraine for him to leave the rest of Ukraine alone is just setting things up for something worse down the line.

And he's not finished - Moldova is going to be coming off the bench soon, whether they want to or not.

He can't maintain the tempo that he is now, and Ukraine is fighting back on the offensive in some areas now.   Get more and more stingers and Javelins and NLAWs into Ukraine and his helicopters won't be able to move, and his tanks will start going down even faster.

He will level the country before he leaves.  He's a spurned love hell-bent on destroying the object of his affection.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Serious question here:

As a child of the 80s and as scary as some aspects of the Cold War were, like waking up in a cold sweat at the age of 12 after watching "The Day After", there was always some degree of reassurance that Soviet leadership had some sort of intricate decision-making process. It was murky as shit, and I never fully understood it (still don't as I'm not a student of the USSR). But there was always that term Kremlinology that was thrown around that made me feel like there were always ongoing consultations/debates among mysterious committees which led Soviet actions. And, after all, the Russians really did seem to love their children too when it came to nuclear annihilation, which is why we survived it.

In this case, are all decisions made at the whim of a single man? Are there some sort of internal checks and balances like what appeared to be the case in Soviet times? Because, if not, this actually might be more dangerous.

Edit: @956 Worldwide

This is a very good topic @bolverk. The reason Kremlinology was a thing is because those committees and advisory bodies were all mostly window dressing. Their job was to legitimize decisions and policies after they were taken and not to influence the process.  Kremlinologists tried to read tea leaves and clues to determine who actually influenced things via informal channels, alliances, the trust of the General Secretary, and other factors.  When all was said, decision making rest with the party as embodied in the party’s leadership. 

A similar pattern has emerged in Putin’s Russia.  There are no formal and institutionalized checks and balances.  Putin has no formal constraints— courts, legislative bodies, etc. are subordinate to his leadership and exist to legitimize those decisions and not influence or make them. Of course, he has advisors and people with his ear but it’s hard to know who has that at any moment.  His first years went towards breaking the constraining power of oligarchs and business, which was always informal but at least ACTUAL.

The main brakes on Putin are just power of convincing or bureaucratic obstructionism….slow rolling, feigned incompetence, real incompetence and corruption, and lack of resources.  Don’t discount these factors too much as they were and are a defining feature of Soviet and later Russian ability to implement policy and strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He has to feel that he is getting something he values. After you have explained what his blunders have cost him and what they can further cost him, you have to give him a lollipop. Maybe it has to do with Ukraine lowering the cost of the pipeline fees they charge him so he makes more money on the gas he is sending to Europe. Tell him he can keep the gas contracts and earn more on them now, something like that. Also, maybe they can assure him they will hold off on joining NATO. Give the old fuck something to point to and then send him off with his lollipop. 

I don't know but after the high risks of his actions and future actions are laid out for him in grim reality, the lollipop will look extremely appealing than the alternative.  

https://ukrainetrek.com/blog/history/kharkiv-during-the-german-occupation-in-color/ 

Interesting color images of Kharkiv during the German occupation, mostly in 1942. Some buildings are still damaged/scarred from Germany seizing it in 1941.

So many buildings and scenes there that are soon to be gone in 1943 when the soviets take it back.

6 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

https://ukrainetrek.com/blog/history/kharkiv-during-the-german-occupation-in-color/ 

Interesting color images of Kharkiv during the German occupation, mostly in 1942. Some buildings are still damaged/scarred from Germany seizing it in 1941.

So many buildings and scenes there that are soon to be gone in 1943 when the soviets take it back.

image_2022-03-04_013716.png.62eb4fdd4dc69b9ee2a8a5c9f4cb3438.pngimage.png.8f825769addb8a3f4abc116c90941311.pngimage_2022-03-04_013809.png.360bae9bdc7fb600860e4a34fb2d54ae.pngimage_2022-03-04_013837.png.8a14e98da271d45c8a3831e1783daab9.pngimage_2022-03-04_013859.png.58f8525943f0baa5fd7f7b5271a1af13.pngimage_2022-03-04_013944.png.6ad22ac1f23e15977b5b239a319e852a.pngimage_2022-03-04_014014.png.d9774f429f52679c731155520b8ae473.pngimage_2022-03-04_014042.png.fcfba0db23b004a396f19e0ea13985ed.pngimage_2022-03-04_014118.png.ec1506dc524a15238e0142802e1f5f0e.pngimage_2022-03-04_014137.png.1b2c419ae4f2f5de160f9c5f843d6096.png

That last one has buildings that look so futuristically minimalist. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1