Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

If you're wondering where Pskov is on the map, this is where it's located.

Hint: Nowhere near Ukraine, but...um...elsewhere.

I count only 17 vehicles, so not a real major effort.  And it seems mostly troop transport, with some BTR ("armored cars") thrown in.

I might guess that that group is intended for protest suppression.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

these are coming from Khabarovsk, off the Pacific Ocean. Hell of a train ride.

Edited by rpspeed
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I count only 17 vehicles, so not a real major effort.  And it seems mostly troop transport, with some BTR ("armored cars") thrown in.

I might guess that that group is intended for protest suppression.

There are supposedly a lot of troop movements around Russia ahead of the martial law declarations.  And it ties in with bringing in troops from one part of the country to put down dissent in another   

For those wondering about Putin’s  ongoing popularity, when he says Russia is liberating Ukraine but having to declare martial law in Russia..,. 
Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Humans are so silly. The premise of whether Putin goes nuclear is based on technicalities of written documents? If US or NATO enforce a "no fly zone" or send troops, he'll use nukes. But as long as they're just giving them tanks, planes, weapons, ammo, etc., he'll hold back. I think the second Putin thinks he might lose he'll go nuclear regardless of whether western help is direct or "indirect." I'm still not sure how supplying equipment is indirect, but again, humans are silly.

We can't be in fear that if Putin doesn't get his way, he's launching ICBMs at someone.  If we act in that manner perhaps we should hand over our nuclear weapons to Putin if he wants them.

One thing we don't know is who stands between Putin and launching nuclear weapons. There was a recent US President that has been reported to have effectively lost direct control of the US nuclear arsenal late in his administration.  (/no cr)

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

martial law would be weird.  there's not rioting as far as i know.  just a bunch of people holding signs.

Dictators have a naturally unstable rule over their country. History shows that if you let a small revolution continue, it can lead to something much bigger.  Gotta quash it while you can.

If you get to the point that you're asking your police or army to fire on citizens, you might lose your power within hours.

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

martial law would be weird.  there's not rioting as far as i know.  just a bunch of people holding signs.

Russia just passed a "fake news" law that makes spreading "fake news" about the military punishable with up to 15 years in prison. All of the non-state-owned media has been shut down or shut out of russia, and they're ending international flights out of the country.

Sure fuckin smells like martial law

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

counterpoint if they are on the E95. going south 700Km... they get to cheat and run through another country..... DIRECTLY TOWARDS.....

anyone?

anyone?

KYIV.

48 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Quick summary of demands

They assert that NATO expanded to the east despite a spoken assurance from James Baker, then the secretary of state, to the Soviet leader, Mikhail S. Gorbachev, that it would not.

The agreement was never put in writing and Mr. Baker said later that Russian officials misinterpreted his comment, which applied only to the territory of the former East Germany. Mr. Gorbachev has, in interviews, confirmed that spoken assurance came in discussions only of East Germany. he promised it, but never made a pinky promise and Vladimir Putin can go fuck himself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

They're just politically discoursed people holding signs until they find a CVS in Moscow.  

2 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Apologies if already posted - but this thread, wow.  

“It only takes one of them to get lucky and everyone goes home with a bonus."

Can't wait for the movie starring Jeremy Renner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, sasquatch69 said:

Apologies if already posted - but this thread, wow.  

“It only takes one of them to get lucky and everyone goes home with a bonus."

Why are we burning these FSB assets? I get that it may cause some issues internally for Russia, but I feel like some discretion in the reporting is appropriate here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's like he's trying to his best to have suicide by Bolshevik.

I thought it was "suicide by cop"

Or "suicide by gestapo"

Or in 2022 American Stupid Parlance "suicide by gazpacho" 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Why are we burning these FSB assets? I get that it may cause some issues internally for Russia, but I feel like some discretion in the reporting is appropriate here. 

We're not. We are sowing discord and diluting the effectiveness of the FSB.   The fact that this made the news was on purpose and should indicate that it is likely not accurate...but Putin/Russia seeing it does have benefits.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

for most of his time in leadership going back decades he has been pretty stable and clear with what he is and isn't and what his goals are and aren't.

seeing that change, and seeing him handle something so major so poorly is weird...especially when he handled the Crimea/Donbas and South Ossetia/Abkhazia situations pretty well based on what his goals clearly were - and how well he handled the Chechnya situation (based on what "Russians" wanted/maximizing his popularity)

I think the strategic planning was sound, but the tactical execution was poor.  Taking Ukraine is what he needs to do to protect his Economy but he waited too long and lost due to:

1. Ukraine getting stronger knowing this was coming for 8 years
  2. Waiting until after the Olympics
  3. Losing the social media war

All those things are not in play if he did the whole country in 2014 or earlier.

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

I think the strategic planning was sound, but the tactical execution was poor.  Taking Ukraine is what he needs to do to protect his Economy but he waited too long and lost due to:

1. Ukraine getting stronger knowing this was coming for 8 years
  2. Waiting until after the Olympics
  3. Losing the social media war

All those things are not in play if he did the whole country in 2014 or earlier.

Also they should've seen their own maintenance and supply issues in the run up to the invasion. That's just plain corruption and negligence by RU forces. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No shit.  My point earlier about targeting info, etc.  Just shut up.  Shut up and let things play out behind the scenes.  This seems overly self-aggrandizing that WE are doing this, and THEY are doing that.  Leave it up to the imagination of the reader as to "how" this happens, as it has a direct impact on the lives of those involved.

• Drool 1

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

Pskov is like 14 inches from Estonia and Latvia, so I bet they're being given a Chance to Look Impressive there.

It's the Baltics man, they don't use inches.  It's "1 South Austin's Mom's Vagina" from Estonia and Latvia.  Get some global perspective in your life, man.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Of course we're saying that.  It'd be weird if we were saying the opposite, or nothing at all.  "What this?  This incredibly clear satellite imagery that everybody knows we have?  We are certainly not sharing it with Ukraine.  Because (pulls down hidden microphone from ceiling)...it would be wong.

Racist 

• Like 1

SIAP. Harvard Law 2L quits his summer associate position over firm's refusal to sever financial ties with Russia:

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2022/03/02/harvard-law-2l-walks-away-from-summer-associate-position-to-protest-law-firms-work-in-russia-389-158019/?slreturn=20220204114714

In his post, Donahue also included the following message to all firms that believe it’s acceptable to continue operating in Russia: “Russia is a pariah state, not your emerging market. Your pro bono programs and equality initiatives won’t wash away the stain of working for war criminals. Further increases in starting pay for associates is not the way to attract talent. That might be enough for some to look the other way, but not for me and many others. Expect more to walk away. To be sure, I firmly believe in the right of all criminal defendants to be represented by counsel, a right I fully expect Putin to exercise when he is dragged to The Hague. But doing transactional work that enables the Russian war machine? That’s a choice. And yours speaks volumes.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

If I was giving secret intel to kill Russians, I’d say that too….

Yep. I'd say it even if I didn't know jack-shit about the Russians. Give those pre-Alzheimers alcoholic Generals one more reason not to trust each other. When a Russian operation gets a bloody nose through random good luck, have them round up all the competent officers as suspected traitors.

48 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We bombed the dogshit out of Hanoi and Haiphong - we targeted military sites, but we all know thousands of civilians were killed/injured.  So to parallel Ukraine, had obviously Russian planes, with Russian pilots, engaged these US bombers, it would have been game on.  That is the same line here.  That is the escalation path everyone is avoiding.  Now layer on Russian tanks and other crews staging in N. Vietnam and across the border or active Russian SAM sites positioned on the border and active against US air crews on sorties in the north.  Also game on.  

I think the line is clear.  Any direct action from NATO air or ground forces can be seen a an ovious catalyst for escalation.  

You also have to factor in the changing times. Communication is so different from the late 60s and early 70s. The world may have been unhappy about American actions in Vietnam but the world is first hand seeing Russian atrocities in Ukraine. Much different sentiment globally now than back then.

But NATO declared Ukraine isn't the line in the sand so unless something there happens to change that we'll all sit back, arm the Ukrainians, and try to make this so tough on Putin with ever tightening sanctions he bleeds himself out there and has no choice but to either retreat or start nuclear holocaust. I believe he'll retreat at that point but who knows now. It'll probably take months if not longer so we're going to be walking this razor's edge for a while. 

I've been perusing Google maps places in Kharkiv and man it's sad and hits you hard. Seeing all these coffee shops and restaurants that as recent as a few weeks ago had pictures operating normally and now is just rubble. And realizing all these places we go to here in the US can have the same fate if this goes off the rails. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Possible end game if Putin is sane:

Russia gets:

Ukraine officially recognizes Crimea as Russian.

UN installs monitors in Donbas.

Ukraine agrees not to join NATO before 2035.

West lifts some sanctions with a path to lift remaining sanctions once reparations and nuke reductions are complete.

Ukraine/West gets:

Russia pulls out completely from Ukraine (including Donbas) immediately.

Russia pays full reparations to completely rebuild everything they destroyed plus pain and suffering.

Russia agrees to eliminate 3/4 of its nuclear arsenal (and agrees to UN verification of that).

Russia agrees to increased UN oversight in their elections.

Those last 3 ain't never gonna happen.  Maybe the first.

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's the Baltics man, they don't use inches.  It's "1 South Austin's Mom's Vagina" from Estonia and Latvia.  Get some global perspective in your life, man.

Your Honor, I submit that all the USSR successor states used crypto-inches, as evidenced by all those gun calibers that are weird multiples of 25.4mm.

Extrapolating from that, I say we search for their secret moon base.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

But NATO declared Ukraine isn't the line in the sand so unless something there happens to change that we'll all sit back, arm the Ukrainians, and try to make this so tough on Putin with ever tightening sanctions he bleeds himself out there and has no choice but to either retreat or start nuclear holocaust. I believe he'll retreat at that point but who knows now. It'll probably take months if not longer so we're going to be walking this razor's edge for a while. 

Agreed.  We can facilitate a costly war of attrition that the Ukes are better suited to handle.  We're not even in the ugly occupation stage with counter insurgency pain yet.  The Russians don't have the manpower or logistics to take and hold Ukraine, and the UA doesn't yet have the strength to directly repel them.  So this will drag out and casualties will mount on both sides.  So the course of action seems to be to "bleed the beast", and it seems to be working.  

We are seeing a paradigm shift in modern warfare and the efficacy of what highly trained infantry can do.  Tanks and large vehicles are becoming more and more obsolete as light weaponry can take them off the board from miles away with a single man or pluck aircraft out of the sky.  It takes a highly coordinated force to compete with this, and so far the Russians are showing these asses in a major way

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Interdasting - what's a contributing participant?  NATO padawan?

https://ccdcoe.org/news/2022/ukraine-to-be-accepted-as-a-contributing-participant-to-nato-ccdcoe/

NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence (CCDCOE) is basically the NATO/military version of the NSA - the announcement means that Ukraine is contributing to the collective cybersecurity effort. Their "about us" page mentions it as a mechanism for "like-minded but non-NATO nations" to collaborate and train

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Interdasting - what's a contributing participant?  NATO padawan?

This is the "NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence" - not NATO itself. Other "contributing participants" - Switzerland, Finland, Sweden, South Korea, and Austria.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Foosters said:

SIAP. Harvard Law 2L quits his summer associate position over firm's refusal to sever financial ties with Russia:

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2022/03/02/harvard-law-2l-walks-away-from-summer-associate-position-to-protest-law-firms-work-in-russia-389-158019/?slreturn=20220204114714

Wait until he finds out what (non-surly) lawyers really do...