Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

The WSJ is also reporting very intense fighting in Backmut, and regular missile attacks on Ukrainian utilities. Russia sees one path to an acceptable outcome (for them) - bomb Ukraine until it agrees to a cease fire, and use that time to entrench and shore up Russian forces for a new go at it, in the near or long term. 

It’s rough to be in Ukraine right now, and winter will be tougher. It’s Ukraine’s fight, and the west needs to support them as long as they are up for it. I still think it would be a good idea for the west to start planning for how to use a cease fire, should it happen, more productively in strengthening Ukraine for a new (near term) offensive than Russia is able to. We know Russia can’t be trusted when it says it wants peace. Show them the west is even more ready to win this damned thing. 

Im talking hardened infrastructures, more weaponry, more training. If nothing else, maybe such planning will convince Russia that the Avenue of bombing Ukrainian civilians isn’t leading anywhere they want to go. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Feels like the first time UA has lost ground in fucking ages. 

That area is hotly contested and there has been a back and forth there daily for weeks, but anytime you see anything mentioned "Rybar" or "GreyZone" etc., take it with a very hefty amount of salt. Those are Russian propaganda outlets.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, statsman said:

The WSJ is also reporting very intense fighting in Backmut, and regular missile attacks on Ukrainian utilities. Russia sees one path to an acceptable outcome (for them) - bomb Ukraine until it agrees to a cease fire, and use that time to entrench and shore up Russian forces for a new go at it, in the near or long term. 

It’s rough to be in Ukraine right now, and winter will be tougher. It’s Ukraine’s fight, and the west needs to support them as long as they are up for it. I still think it would be a good idea for the west to start planning for how to use a cease fire, should it happen, more productively in strengthening Ukraine for a new (near term) offensive than Russia is able to. We know Russia can’t be trusted when it says it wants peace. Show them the west is even more ready to win this damned thing. 

Im talking hardened infrastructures, more weaponry, more training. If nothing else, maybe such planning will convince Russia that the Avenue of bombing Ukrainian civilians isn’t leading anywhere they want to go. 

We should let Ukraine ask us if this type of cease-fire is helpful to them, not suggest or prod them. It’s hard in Ukraine now, but it’s harder for Russians. One of the few advantages Ukraine has and we shouldn’t ask them to surrender it to preserve our sensibilities. 

This was is different than Iraq or Afghanistan. The Ukrainians will fight as hard as we let them. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Did we lose the post about the Judge Napolitano video? That was a masterpiece of Russia propaganda, right down to the details (map of strikes on Ukraine that was missing Crimea and DNR/LNR and all the spellings in Russian style). 

It was absolutely Russian influence operations and we shouldn’t get confused that calling it out is “CR.” That’s playing into their hands. 

Yeah, I deleted the post and replies as posts like that quickly turn into CR shitfests that don't belong in this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

That area is hotly contested and there has been a back and forth there daily for weeks, but anytime you see anything mentioned "Rybar" or "GreyZone" etc., take it with a very hefty amount of salt. Those are Russian propaganda outlets.

That area is insane - it really is like Germany’s attempts at Bastogne - looks great on paper and could really slow things down if successful, but ultimately a huge fucking waste of manpower and resources that won’t slow them down in the end.

And a few of the analysts have pointed out multiple times that the town itself is not the goal for Russia - they need to get into the areas past it to try and divide Ukrainian forces and command and control, but the problem is the Russians don’t have the manpower or vehicles to truly exploit such a breakthrough if it happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We should let Ukraine ask us if this type of cease-fire is helpful to them, not suggest or prod them. It’s hard in Ukraine now, but it’s harder for Russians. One of the few advantages Ukraine has and we shouldn’t ask them to surrender it to preserve our sensibilities. 

This was is different than Iraq or Afghanistan. The Ukrainians will fight as hard as we let them. 

Yeah, I’m not talking about prodding Ukraine to a cease fire at all. I’m talking about the west making it very clear to Russia that any such cease fire (which they are bombing the shit out of Ukraine utilities to achieve) will go even more poorly for Russia (due to actions the west can plan to take) than their decision to start this war did. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Fair enough that there's a thread in CR that's better suited for it given the content and individuals involved, but I did appreciate the limited exposure to elements in the US media I wasn't aware of. If he was being posted frequently, I'd be fully against it, but this one was rather revelatory and eye-opening in a sense. Again, fair enough that I can go to the CR thread and see it (I won't). 

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

ELI5 what is Hungary's Transcarpathian issue?

Hungary lost two World Wars and lost a lot of territory, including in the border region with Ukraine. Orban wants to reclaim these territories, or at least have them become autonomous and manipulated by Hungary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummmmmm.....he's spoken out against the Russian invasion several times over the past months.

Yes, but always in vague general terms as if there's an equal share of blame. Only months later has he been more direct in his words. The linked BBC article mentions that criticism.

• Hook 'Em 2

The fighting does not stop day or night.
there are many Russians, she does not plan to finish. new groups are constantly coming up, so the pace and tension on the site has not subsided for a long time. only interested in what they think when they are pointed at the landing and told to storm it?