Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This guys become my favorite bit in all of this

The man is committed to performance art.  Sure, he actually lost a villa or two in Italy, and he’s not allowed to travel in the rest of Europe, and so there maybe some actual anguish, but he’s given us the full range of human emotion over the last 8 months.

His performance is truly Kafkaesque.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

The one thing that history has taught us over and over again is that empires, nation states and governments will collapse and die.

The thing about Russia and China, is that in each country, one man has purged anybody even close to being a threat to their power, leaving a lot of idiots and bootlickers running things, who have little ability or creativity to solve problems, leaving each country vulnerable to being paralyzed by significant events.  

We see it in China with COVID, and we’ve been seeing it in Russia with Ukraine, and the inability to truly problem solve when the system is broken.  Hell, with that order to confiscate all goods that could be personally sent to the Russian military in Ukraine, that’s not solving the Russian military’s supply problems, that’s putting a tiny bandaid on them.  That’s some low-level bureaucrats who can report that they “acquired” enough gear to support a few thousand Russian soldiers in the field, rather than problem solving and getting stuff for tens of thousands.

That also means that when serious cracks appear, there will be only one person who truly comprehends the problem and has the power to fix them.  I don’t always agree with Zeihan, but he’s right about one person not having the bandwidth to solve all problems. Putin may have circumvented some of the Russian bureaucracy by having Wagner report directly to him, but he still has to deal with the fact that he’s got a hundred thousand plus soldiers in the field, who are poorly equipped and trained and getting their asses handed to them, and they are doing the bulk of the fighting.

I am not going to be surprised if Putin tries to mobilize half-a-million or more men in the next few months, but he’s got the bureaucracy working against him - he still won’t have the gear or vehicles to support them.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Wrong thread.

But good video.

I've heard from Chinese friends and coworkers the same point he makes about China needing a strong, authoritarian rule to hold together, but never heard it explained WHY that was the case until now.

What I have NOT heard is why a federal system like what the United States has couldn't work. Yes, Zeihan mentions income disparity, but how much is that the system adapting to the situation, and how much of it is the system causing the situation?

• Hook 'Em 1

Carried shit for three decades.  In my teens I carried about the same plus a med kit. Med kits weigh a lot more than people realize and are bulky. 
Weapons- Mid 20's to late 30's. Was not rare to have a full kit. AK's for distance, MP-5 for vehicles. And you never leave a weapon unattended. So once out of the car it was on you. Calculate 150 rounds per weapon plus a pistol and two magazines. Add a 36 hour kit in a butt bag and armor. Extra Ammo for the PK/RPK/M-60 (yeah I am old). Hell a few times had three RPG rounds on me.
Humans can carry a lot of weight when your security depends on it. Learn to sling and always have a good D-Link on your vest.
Fun times. 

I thought the rule of thumb was to keep the weight around 80 lbs and up to 120 lbs.

Again, I can imagine someone in their 50s doing it, if they did it for decades. But an old 65 isn oligarch, strapping on a bunch of shit for the first time or the first time in 30 years?

I could be wrong, you would know a hell of a lot better than me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

60-80 is operable. Heaviest I weighed on a project was +90. I am almost 50 and I walk with a 30 pound pack minus armor. Makes knees hurt but can be done. 

Dad (82) still walks with the same amount using an old US backpack. Cans and sand for ballast. Dude impresses me. 

Fuck getting old. Go Ukraine. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3