Batshit crazy idea for the birds

Do I add a bat den or an owl box to my garage?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes for better guests living in your back yard?

I'm building a detached garage in my backyard this spring, and I can't decide whether I should add an owl den or a bat hut to it. 

Bats will help with the mosquitoes (always an issue in the summer) and owls would help with mice and other varmints (not really a problem I have). I think both animals are pretty cool, but I think owls are cooler.

I'm in suburban Chicago, fairly close to a forest preserve. Doomlet (currently 3.5 years old) and a dog to be adopted this summer will play in the yard, and I'll be coming and going regularly since my cars will be in there. I could see a greater potential for issues regarding territoriality with owls than bats, and obviously higher stakes since they're raptors with talons and shit. 

Any suggestions or advice as to which type of house I should mount to my garage? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Aren’t bats protected? As in, if you build a bat hut, once it’s inhabited by bats you can’t remove it?

Years ago had a coworker who had a ton of bats start living in her attic, and it was hell to get rid of them because they were a protected species. Or some shit like that. 

Let's see:

1.  I've never heard of anyone having to get a rabies shot because they touched a dead owl.

2.  Bats eat mosquitoes, but they do this work somewhere else, i.e. I don't think they hang around your house specifically all night long.

3.  Bats leave town when it's cold, so they aren't doing this bug work on a year 'round schedule.

4.  Bats never did tell anyone how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, did they?  Nope.

5.  Owls could possibly get down on all outdoor cats, & apparently Shag don't like cats, so there's that.

6.  Owls are just plain cool.

7.  Has Owlvis voted yet?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Let's see:

3.  Bats leave town when it's cold, so they aren't doing this bug work on a year 'round schedule.

Bugs aren't exactly an issue in the Midwest when it's cold. They leave town, too. 

I vote owl but I'll bet you 2 bucks you never get an owl to inhabit your space. Just get one of those plastic ones and call it good.