Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

56 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Don’t forget the reinstatement of felons voting.  That’s not exactly a Republican stronghold.

and Puerrrrto Riiiiiccaaaans that moved to Fla.

15 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I see your chickens have come home to roost. 

You don't have to be so cocky.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Maybe he handles boats better than businesses because 6 bankruptcies shows me he doesn't know shit about business.  But he'll tell you he's the best captain ever.

He knows more about boats and the naval than anybody. His friend Captain Crunch told him that just yesterday. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

TSA should strike immediately upon him shutting it back down.

I just don't see a shutdown happening again in 3 weeks.  The Senate GOP doesn't have the stomach for it.  They see his capitulation yesterday as a weakness; they won't be afraid to override if it comes to that.

Mitch doesn't want a repeat of the Senate luncheon on Thursday.  

I see one of two possibilities in 21 days:

1. Trump will declare a state of emergency, which will eventually get shot down in court.

2. Pelosi trades DACA continuation, path to citizenships for adult illegal aliens, reworking the asylum courts, catch and release, and whatever the fuck else she wants, for $11B for the wall.  That way Trump can says "Well, they were only going to give me 5.6B, but I played hardball with the shutdown, and got $11B." It doesn't matter the Dems were willing to give $25B for Daca continuation.  He just needs the sound bite.  He needs to be able to say he won, regardless of how illogical it is. And Pelosi may be willing to give it to him, for winning any concession on immigration the Dems might want.

• Like 1

Any time David Roth writes an essay on Trump, do yourself a favor and read every word. This man is a poet.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/you-cant-get-there-from-here-1831622949

Some highlights:

“It’s not going to change a damn thing,” the President of the United States told an assemblage of news anchors at an off-the-record White House meeting some weeks ago. “But I’m still doing it.” To a certain extent, that groaning is just standard Trump shit—his signature all-caps triumphalism is balanced by an equal and opposite tendency towards teenish mopery when he doesn’t get what he wants fast enough, or hot enough, or served with proper deference. But there was something a bit different about this. He was referring to a trip he’d make to the Rio Grande Valley later that week, during the early-middle part of the 35-day federal government shutdown, at the point when various assholes were putting on barn jackets and getting themselves photographed squinting at arroyos outside of McAllen, Texas. 

...He believes the bit about the smugglers and the duct tape because he believes it, and because he believes it now he will never stop believing it. In the last days of the shutdown, Trump and members of his cabinet explained, with the blithe confidence God gives only to people who have never considered the possibility that they might be wrong, that furloughed government employees could simply “work something out” with their local grocers and debt-collection agencies. When he says something confusing or stupid or glaringly wrong—something that can’t be explained by any existing set of facts or system of beliefs, something that even the embalmed-looking juche vendors on his favorite television channels haven’t dared put up for sale—it’s because he believes it.

...even before he banged his own personal left turn and began his full-tilt drive into the desert of cognitive decline, Trump was not an especially nuanced or strategic person. His mind is not what it was, and at its peak it was more of a Magic 8 Ball than a supercomputer. He can’t learn anything because he can’t listen to other people if they aren’t speaking from inside a television; he can’t remember what he hears there because he can’t really care unless it’s about him. These deficits are clear when Trump is extemporizing on furloughed workers cutting deals with the milkman or imagining cartoon coyotes piloting sedans full of duct-taped women across the Rio Grande, but they are even clearer when he tells knowing lies. The former tend to be about other people, and so tend to be both lurid and half-assed; he only really ever applies himself when the lies involve himself.

...His lies, though, are more elemental. They are never anything more than the opposite of truth. If Trump keeps insisting that he’s not being investigated for his relationship to Russia in gratuitous and unconvincing ways, it’s not because he’s trying to leverage some advanced placement Dealpoint or exploit some hidden businessman’s trick or angle. It’s because he’s literally fucking being investigated for his relationship with Russia and because he very much wants people to think he’s not, and because that’s honestly the best he can do because his brain is an old donut bobbing around in a toilet.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I just don't see a shutdown happening again in 3 weeks.  The Senate GOP's corporate overlords told them there can't be another shutdown.   doesn't have the stomach for it.  They see his capitulation yesterday as a weakness; they won't be afraid to override if it comes to that.

Mitch doesn't want a repeat of the Senate luncheon on Thursday.  

FIFY.  

I think the national emergency option is a joke.  He’s just threatening it as a scare tactic, always has been. 

The senate GOP doesn’t have the stomach for another shutdown but I wouldn’t put it past Trump to veto a CR without wall money. 

If that happens, Congress will override the veto because fuck that shit.

This recent shutdown has crippled Trump politically.  The senate GOP isn’t as loyal to him as they were 40 days ago.

I see one of two possibilities in 21 days:
1. Trump will declare a state of emergency, which will eventually get shot down in court.
2. Pelosi trades DACA continuation, path to citizenships for adult illegal aliens, reworking the asylum courts, catch and release, and whatever the fuck else she wants, for $11B for the wall.  That way Trump can says "Well, they were only going to give me 5.6B, but I played hardball with the shutdown, and got $11B." It doesn't matter the Dems were willing to give $25B for Daca continuation.  He just needs the sound bite.  He needs to be able to say he won, regardless of how illogical it is. And Pelosi may be willing to give it to him, for winning any concession on immigration the Dems might want.

I'm not sure I agree with giving Trump anything that could be used to extend the wall...

1. He's proven that anything he does is done in bad-faith. He's going to look for a way to screw up the deal, put screw up the process.

2. I don't think Trump cares about the policy or outcome as much as he cares about/needs the confrontation. He needs the theatrics of fighting for his reality tv DNA. There's no bargaining with that.

3. What deal had he ever made and suddenly followed through with? Pelosi and Trump could have iron clad, black-and-white, Massey prenup level deal and he'd still try to break it.

If gets anything for his wall, he'll give up nothing regardless of the agreement he makes.
  • Like 2

Michael Cohen has been subpoenaed to testify before Senate Intel on Feb 12th, though it’s undetermined if it’s going to be public or not.  If it’s public, combined with the real potential for another Mueller bombing run, and it could be a ‘national emergency’ before the next potential shutdown.

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think the national emergency option is a joke.  He’s just threatening it as a scare tactic, always has been. 

The senate GOP doesn’t have the stomach for another shutdown but I wouldn’t put it past Trump to veto a CR without wall money. 

If that happens, Congress will override the veto because fuck that shit.

This recent shutdown has crippled Trump politically.  The senate GOP isn’t as loyal to him as they were 40 days ago.

I’ve been told over and over that Trump is the GOP and that there was nothing he could ever do to lose their loyalty. Are you saying things can and do change?

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ve been told over and over that Trump is the GOP and that there was nothing he could ever do to lose their loyalty. Are you saying things can and do change?

Kinda been my position the whole time.  The GOP was never loyal to Trump, they fucking hate him.  

The Trump-GOP alliance is much like the US-Saudi alliance, it’s only based on strategic interests and has nothing to do with shared values. 

Once Trump destroys himself, the GOP will toss his corpse overboard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Kinda been my position the whole time.  The GOP was never loyal to Trump, they fucking hate him.  

The Trump-GOP alliance is much like the US-Saudi alliance, it’s only based on strategic interests and has nothing to do with shared values. 

Yup.

Have you noticed the change in Brisket’s tune as he slowly connects the dots?

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Followed by the GOP getting destroyed in the vast majority of future elections for at least a decade. 

51 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The wall really is his Alamo 

Nope.  The people fighting the Alamo had an endgame in mind, even if things didn’t work out, the Alamo was part of a larger strategy; and there were people willing to reinforce, or if it ended badly, to avenge the Alamo.  

Trump has none of those things. He lurches from one crisis to another, because he has no strategy, and can’t think beyond the current crisis.  

Trump by himself created the longest shutdown in U.S. history, affecting millions of Americans, and the GOP still has his back 100%. They're not spineless at this point, they are traitors. 

If Republican Congressman turn on Trump, they lose 60% of their base and get blasted in future elections. The GOP as we know it is effectively dead unless Trumpism takes over. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Followed by the GOP getting destroyed in the vast majority of future elections for at least a decade. 

They can mitigate the damage if they abort Trump at the right time and spin it properly.  There’s a precedent for this with Nixon.  

The GOP four years ago wasn’t on the Trump train because he had no serious power or influence.  Once Trump’s influence is neutralized,  he will become more of a liability than an asset for republicans.  They will strategically distance themselves from him.

However, this isn’t to say the Republicans will turn over a new leaf.  They will still be the corrupt frauds they’ve always been, just with a nicer face.

24 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Why is no one really questioning the assumption that a bullshit national emergency move will be swiftly struck down by the courts?

What’s the relevant precedent, other than when SCOTUS ruled in favor of Japanese internment camp?

I'm definitely questioning the assumption.   Maybe the lower courts swiftly strike the emergency move, but I'm not at all sure that a SCOTUS with Kavanaugh, Alito, Thomas and Gorsuch on it strikes the move.

That said, the steel seizure case would be precedential and should, at least in theory, limit a bullshit national emergency.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trump by himself created the longest shutdown in U.S. history, affecting millions of Americans, and the GOP still has his back 100%. They're not spineless at this point, they are traitors. 

If Republican Congressman turn on Trump, they lose 60% of their base and get blasted in future elections. The GOP as we know it is effectively dead unless Trumpism takes over. 

If they had his back 100%; he doesn’t cave on the shutdown.  He was enjoying it. 

They all know their political careers are over if/when Trump goes down. They will hold the line to the bitter end. Way too late for them to turn on Dotard and they all know it. 

They can’t. I haven’t changed my assessment, and won’t, because....say it with me....the only base the GOP has is Trumpkins. If the politicians turn on Trump, they will never be re-elected, and they know it. They have no choice. They have to stick with Trump to the bitter end - and beyond.
Are some of them doing their best to please two masters (big corporate donors)? Sure, behind the scenes. But they must be publicly loyal to Trump.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They can’t. I haven’t changed my assessment, and won’t, because....say it with me....the only base the GOP has is Trumpkins. If the politicians turn on Trump, they will never be re-elected, and they know it. They have no choice. They have to stick with Trump to the bitter end - and beyond.
Are some of them doing their best to please two masters (big corporate donors)? Sure, behind the scenes. But they must be publicly loyal to Trump.

My GOP congressman could call Trump a Putin cocksucker and he would still get re-elected despite being in heavy Trump country. 

The democrats simply can’t win in many places.  

In the places that are toss ups, it’s probably 50/50 as far as Trump being an asset or a liability.

Do you think Louie Gohmert’s seat is in jeopardy if he turned on Trump?  I don’t.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I think there are certainly some/many Congressmen who are compromised. I think the pols also realize that the voting public has crossed the Rubicon. They've gotten a taste of a R president who will not compromise on anything.

He the 'conservative' messiah that Rush prophesied for 25 years. He gives it back to the libtards in spades, and that's what they want in future R politicians.

Edited by retread
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, retread said:

I think there are certainly some/many Congressmen who are compromised. I think the pols also realize that the voting public has crossed the Rubicon. They've gotten a taste of a R president who will not compromise on anything.

He the 'conservative' messiah that Rush prophesied for 25 years. He gives it back to the libtards in spades, and that's what they want in future R politicians.

I hope so. That means a lot of electoral victories for Democrats.

3 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

What?

You may be right, to a point, that the GOP didn't like him (which is not the same as "fucking hating him"), but are sorely mistaken in your perception of no loyalty to him. 

There are probably a few true believers like Gohmert but for the most part, they want out of the Trump nightmare more than anyone.

How much fun it is knowing you’re going to have to defend Trump every day... That’s got to be miserable.  

Do you think they want their political fate tied to a compromised moron?   Nah, they’re just playing along until they can ditch him. 

38 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

What?

You may be right, to a point, that the GOP didn't like him (which is not the same as "fucking hating him"), but are sorely mistaken in your perception of no loyalty to him. 

They were loyal to him until Nancy told him “no” and their corporate donors started chewing them out.  

I know it’s a narrative for some, that Trump compromised to take the news away from Stone, but a lot of us predicted that when the airports starting having serious problems, the GOP would cave.   This week, it was clear the airports were headed for trouble. . .  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The GOP is most loyal to whoever gives them lots of money.  

If you’re a GOP Senator and some BMD calls your personal private line and says “back the fuck down or I stop giving you money and give it to your opponents”, then you back down.  

I don’t think that is something unique to Republicans