SEC Scheduling and Adjusted W-L Records

sushihorn

Doesn't invalidate the premise of the OP at all.  It simply talks around the point.
In each of those years you cited, LSU played 1 good team in non-conference play.  They usually played 3 completely cupcakes also.  Which is why I said there are 3 automatic wins on the schedule, not 4 of them. 
Take 2014 for example.  Yes, LSU played a top 20 Wisconsin.  They also played Louisiana-Monroe, Sam Houston State and New Mexico State - all in Baton Rouge.  That's EXACTLY the sort of schedule I'm talking about.

horseshit...2011 was Oregon and WV, 2017 was BYU and Syracuse.

7 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Basically regarded Florida fans on the other board I frequent (Rivals College football soundoff) doesn't understand that playing 9 conference games would equal more losses for $EC teams. They think as a cross division game everyone would apparently get to play Vanderbilt and Arkansas. It was too complex for them to understand that had aggy and Swamp lizard played this year as a 9th conference game instead of UAB and Idaho that one of them would be going home with an extra L in the column. 

They then went on to say how Florida played a tougher schedule than Texas but after breaking that shit down I don't see how anyone rates their shit schedule harder than ours.

Maryland > Charleston So
Tulsa < Kentucky
USC > Colorado St
TCU > Tennessee
Kansas St. < Mississippi St. 
Oklahoma > LSU
Baylor > Vanderbilt 
Oklahoma St < Georgia 
WVU > Missouri
Texas Tech < S. Carolina (barely)
Iowa St. > Idaho
Kansas < FSU (not by much)
Oklahoma/Georgia >>>> Michigan

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/final-ap-sec-has-6-teams-ranked-mwc-3-teams-pac-2-teams.862247/page-5

We can look at this from a final ranking perspective and who each team played starting with highest ranked first

UT.         UF

3.            6

3             9

6             12

20           14

27           26

45           33

60          49

65          61

67         78

71         86

75        114

76         0 (fcs)

99         0 (fcs)

113       N/A

FCS obviously not ranked, and they should NOT count towards an FBS record.  Agree with Huck 100% that if you're going to schedule a scrimmage and lose, the loss should count because you fucking lost to an FCS team---but a win cannot be counted.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

So every 6 years you go on a cupcake free diet?

I know quite a lot of LSU alum and in my opinion they are the lest "SECSECSEC" team in the conference even being a charter member.  None of them chest thump SEC and they don't root for the other teams.   Glad about the series with them, would like to play them more often.  

14 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

So every 6 years you go on a cupcake free diet?

Every once in a while, they limit themselves to 2 cupcakes at a sitting.  It's only happened once since the SEC reorganized after expansion.  It's not going to happen next year (Georgia Southern, Utah State and Northwestern State) or in 2020 (UTSA, Rice, Nicholls State) either.  2021 looks like UCLA, McNeese, Central Michigan and Louisiana-Monroe.  This is a pattern.  It's very much an aberration when LSU schedules 2 P5 teams in one season and it should be treated as such.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Top teams from the other 4 P5 conferences are generally in competition with the non-Bama SEC teams for poll position.  So that's the comparison I'm going to make:

Washington: 8-4 (10-4); N Dakota, BYU

You gonna get negbombed by Schmitty.

Those 3 cupcakes are less wear and tear, less chance for injury, more chances to play redshirting players and keep them happy, more chances to use the week to implement new concepts to be used later in the season, and less chances to have to put new concepts on film. The wear and tear is important with the expanding playoff. Bama is likely to be no worse the wear for playing extra games in January, having played only 10 decent teams, than a team like Texas that already played 12. Bama has been in the finals most years of the playoffs, but they have probably played no more P5 teams than a Texas program that has been at its nadir and even missed bowl games.

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

ummmm...you conveniently forgot we opened with Miami (in Houston) this year.

in the very recent past our OOC schedule has been Wisky (2x...in Houston and Lambeau Field), TCU (in Dallas), BYU (Provo), Washington (home and home), West Virginia (Morgantown) and Oregon (Dallas)...both in the same season, Syracuse (at ‘Cuse), and a couple of more I can’t remember, including Miami this year.

note that only one of those was in Tiger stadium (Washington).

i’ll say til i’m blue in the face...we’ll play anyone, anywhere, and our track record proves that.

your premise fails re: LSU.

Was awfully brave of LSU to go to Husky Stadium the year after UW was 0-12.

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

I know quite a lot of LSU alum and in my opinion they are the lest "SECSECSEC" team in the conference even being a charter member.  None of them chest thump SEC and they don't root for the other teams.   Glad about the series with them, would like to play them more often.  

I agree with this.  bama alums(not the T Shirt variety) are not really SECSEC either. they get a bad rap because of Finebaum's BS.   everyone else can't stop talking about SECSEC.

Was awfully brave of LSU to go to Husky Stadium the year after UW was 0-12.

that’s something completely out of our control (and everyone’s control unless it’s an historically bad program like, say, oh...I don’t know...Maryland) given that schedules are made and contracts signed years in advance.

but you knew that already, Beau.

The solution is so simple, it will NEVER EVER happen:

All teams play Nine conference games.  If you play fewer than 9, unless it is because of Hurricane Harvey or wildfires in CA or some shit; you get a loss for each week with regard to CFP consideration..

Non con scheduling- 2 games with P5 opponents with one of them as a true road game.  Not Atlanta.  Not Jerryworld, but in the other team's crib.

Do whatever the fuck you want with the 3rd non-con game.

You have 13 weeks to play 12.

These rules would standardize scheduling and get rid of the bullshit advantages.

Notre Dame?  join a fucking conference.

Army?  not concerned with the CFP, so keep doing what you're doing.  No loss there.

Edited by slorch

15 hours ago, ABSR said:

Number 3 doesn't even really capture the full impact of 1 less conference game.   Playing Cup Cake State in the second or third to the last week let's them get healthy and get a gimme win not just for each team, but for the conference.

This shit is what blows my mind.  Scheduling cream puffs is something everyone does.  The SEC takes it to another level, but ok.  But how in the fuck do they get away with scheduling the Sisters of the Poor in fucking November? 

I don't even give a fuck about the SOS changes.  Just having basically a bye week that deep in the season is like cheating.  Bama and Co. play cream puffs early.  Then they play their overhyped sister-fucking cousins in conference.  Then, while a team like Texas is slogging through tough conference games every fucking week and desperately trying to avoid injuries, the SEC fucks are sitting at home, taking it easy, and then playing the first half against some nobodies before they let all the third stringers get some game time.

It's fucking criminal. 

18 hours ago, Spur08 said:

This doesn't mean much without comparison, correct?  What does it look like for the Big 12?

Too lazy to find the original, and it's not the exact same stat, but a tweet from "Pick Six Previews" showed that the SEC non-conference schedule (all teams in the SEC combined) had four FCS opponents for every P5 opponent. So, a 4:1 ratio in favor of the weaker opponents.

Big 12 was effectively a 1:1 ratio, and the B1G was 1:2. Cannot recall ACC or PAC, off the top of my head.

4 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

By that metric, while the B12 plays fewer G5 than the SEC does, Texas and Auburn are outliers. Everyone else in both conferences plays exactly one FCS.

don't forget the additional Go5 teams the SECs host as a home game every fucking year.

41 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

This shit is what blows my mind.  Scheduling cream puffs is something everyone does.  The SEC takes it to another level, but ok.  But how in the fuck do they get away with scheduling the Sisters of the Poor in fucking November? 

I don't even give a fuck about the SOS changes.  Just having basically a bye week that deep in the season is like cheating.  Bama and Co. play cream puffs early.  Then they play their overhyped sister-fucking cousins in conference.  Then, while a team like Texas is slogging through tough conference games every fucking week and desperately trying to avoid injuries, the SEC fucks are sitting at home, taking it easy, and then playing the first half against some nobodies before they let all the third stringers get some game time.

It's fucking criminal. 

I understand that it's "like" cheating, but their argument is that there is no rule that's being broken so it's not actually cheating. 

Point being, any other conference can do it the same way if they wanted to. It's just a voluntary handicap. The voters don't punish the SEC for doing what they do, so the other conferences are just being suckers for not doing it themselves. 

So either make a rule and force everyone to follow it or everyone else should quit complaining and just do the same shit themselves. 

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I understand that it's "like" cheating, but their argument is that there is no rule that's being broken so it's not actually cheating. 

Point being, any other conference can do it the same way if they wanted to. It's just a voluntary handicap. The voters don't punish the SEC for doing what they do, so the other conferences are just being suckers for not doing it themselves. 

So either make a rule and force everyone to follow it or everyone else should quit complaining and just do the same shit themselves. 

And the last line is the problem. You can't make a rule when the cheaters and their enablers won't vote for it. Making all P5 teams play the same number of games against each other won't get voted on by the G5 who want more payday games against the P5 not less and then there is the entire SEC and ACC who won't vote for it. The P5 can also make their own rules, but I am not sure how that happens and whether majority rules on those votes. 

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the Big 12 scheduling has gotten worse now that we have a CCG and the committee acts like SOS doesn't matter. (You know SOS will become vitally important to the committee if TCU or WSU or Purdue ever gets in the playoff picture.) We have already dropped one of our P5 games moving ahead and I think several B12 teams are playing FCS teams more often than they used to.

21 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

No, the committee should exercise just the tiniest amount of critical thinking.  

No, the committee should exercise just the tiniest amount of critical thinking.  

Or, and call me crazy, have a playoff system where P5 conference champions are automatically admitted. That way, conferences at least can’t use these tactics to game an extra team in over another champion.

Just quit whining that “it’s a travesty if a 3-loss champion” gets in because they “don’t deserve to.” As above shows, one three loss record is not necessarily like another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

The genesis for the SEC knob slobbing has its roots in 3 events

1. Texas didn't get to play Florida in 2008

2. Colt injury v Bama

3. FL and LSU beating the piss out of tOSU

Then Bama took control and everyone is assumed to be better than they are just because they play in the same conf as Bama and they are allowd by default to get away with BS scheduling because SEC is so hard...

*honorable mention - Auburn cheating

CBS really started the SEC hype when they got that exclusive contract.  ESPN simply keeps it rolling. 

The SEC has just issued a statement: "The superior Southeastern Conference, Southeastern Conference, Southeastern Conference categorically rejects sushihorn's entire premise and malicious disinformation about our member schools' scheduling girth, because in 2017, Troy 24, LSU 21, in Baton Rouge."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

There needs to be a rule to do the right thing?

Don’t cram the SEC!SEC!SEC! Bullshit down our throats when it’s a trumped up deal.

11 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

It is not really about LSU specifically. I have often praised them for being the SEC team that schedules with some balls.

But it is also not some SEC-only thing. Kansas State and Baylor have fed on creampuffs to inflate their record for decades.

• Like 1

in the very recent past our OOC schedule has been Wisky (2x...in Houston and Lambeau Field), TCU (in Dallas), BYU (Provo), Washington (home and home), West Virginia (Morgantown) and Oregon (Dallas)...both in the same season, Syracuse (at ‘Cuse), and a couple of more I can’t remember, including Miami this year.

i’ll say til i’m blue in the face...we’ll play anyone, anywhere, and our track record proves that.

You play dogshit ooc on 75% of your opportunities. You may say you will play anyone anytime, you just don’t practice that in scheduling.

That said, I Look forward to the matchup against LSU this year, like I did with USC last. I would be lying if I said I want Maryland again, but that has more to do with turtles scaring BEVO. I say everyone should play 10 in conference games and at least one cross P5 conference matchup. It is more interesting and better for the sport.

On a side note, Please leave Mike at home, don’t think jacked up BEVO knows he can’t tussle with him

Edited by Alien Octopus

LSU is certainly better than Alabama, who hasn't played a true OOC road game since 2011, but all those neutral site games, except for Lambeau and maybe TCU at jerryworld, are de facto home games.  "Neutral site" games in Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, and jerryworld play a role in propping up the secsecsec myth.

I don't know how various ranking systems handle schools that play very few P5 teams, but to me it seems too arbitrary to ignore a win against such a school.  UCF is a perfect example.  They played a whole lot of nobody along with a few games against UNC, Pitt, etc.  I would think some type of objective ranking where wins and losses are rolled in but weighted down because of a lack of data would make sense.  For instance, LSU wouldn't get much credit for beating UCF simply because UCF isn't very "connected" to P5 programs . . . but they would get SOME credit.

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

By that metric, while the B12 plays fewer G5 than the SEC does, Texas and Auburn are outliers. Everyone else in both conferences plays exactly one FCS.

But only 4 (at max) SEC teams plays a P5 non-con opponent, while almost every team in the Big 12 does.

If you look at the history of College Football Champions from the first year (1869) to this past year (2018), the SEC is is not dominant whatsoever until 2006, with a slight uptick since 1995. 

Look at the definitive list here https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/8/16849228/national-championships-by-year-team-most-list-count

1869-1915: The Ivy League Era (SEC title = 0)

1916-1949: The Notre Dame/Army/Navy & Big 10 (SEC title = 1)

1950-1971: The Mid-Continent Arrives (SEC title = 4)

1972-1995: Free For All (SEC titles = 3)

1995-2007: The Rise of the SEC (SEC Titles = 5)

2008-2018: SEC Domination (SEC Titles = 7)

Now it's important to note what happens in 1994 & 2008 

In 1994, after CBS lost the NFL to Fox, they signed a TV deal with the SEC

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-02-16-9402160310-story.html

https://www.si.com/college-football/2012/08/06/tv-college-football

The SEC on CBS deal, which took effect during the 1996 season and initially paid the conference a reported $17 million per year for five years, became the envy of college sports for the next 10 years. Pilson explained that after losing the NFL, his team sought brands that delivered steady audiences with little change year-over-year. Alabama, Auburn and Georgia were -- and still are -- those kind of brands. Though Pilson was forced out shortly after CBS and the SEC agreed to the deal, his successors placed a bet that viewers nationwide would want to watch the SEC schools despite conventional wisdom that suggested no one in California would want to watch Alabama play Auburn. For the first five years of the deal, the biggest SEC games went out to a nationwide audience. In 1998, CBS signed a deal that guaranteed all SEC games broadcast on CBS would go to every affiliate beginning in 2001. While ABC continued to split national telecasts between two or three games, the SEC enjoyed a nationwide broadcast all its own

So it's weird, that in the past 125 years of th sport, the SEC had 8 titles. but from 1994 on, in the next 13 years, the SEC won 5 titles. All because of TV exposure. 

This was only magnified exponentially with the ESPN TV deal signed in 2008

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=3553033

From 2008-2018, in 10 years, the SEC has won 7 titles.

Not only that, they have competed in every single title game except ONE fucking year. (2014, Ohio State v Oregon)

Not only that, they have competed against each other in TWO FUCKING TITLE GAMES (2011, Bama v LSU, 2017, Bama v Georgia)

Saban's not stupid, in the 2008 article, he even states it. 

"One of the reasons that this league has developed into one of the top leagues in the country is because we have tremendous exposure," Saban said. "I think we had the best exposure from a TV standpoint in our last contract and this one is only going to enhance it more."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SurlyORama said:

Or, and call me crazy, have a playoff system where P5 conference champions are automatically admitted. That way, conferences at least can’t use these tactics to game an extra team in over another champion.

Just quit whining that “it’s a travesty if a 3-loss champion” gets in because they “don’t deserve to.” As above shows, one three loss record is not necessarily like another.

Expanded playoff doesn't solve the problem.  It just changes the level at which it applies.  A 3 loss SEC team with only 6 P5 wins will usually still be overrated and make it in at #7 or #8 over a 3 loss team from most other conferences with 7-8 P5 wins.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

Expanded playoff doesn't solve the problem.  It just changes the level at which it applies.  A 3 loss SEC team with only 6 P5 wins will usually still be overrated and make it in at #7 or #8 over a 3 loss team from most other conferences with 7-8 P5 wins.

Yeah, agreed. But that's why I said "at least" they can't push another conference champion out in favor of an SECSECSEC non-champion if they did this. A conference is free to schedule how they like, and determine their champion how they like, and that champion makes the playoff.

59 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I’d imagine the TV conferences have would have something to say or prevent the conferences from dropping inventory 

My solution actually increases their inventory of quality games

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

SEC teams would have to play 2 P5 OOC to get to 10+, Big 12 only 1.

And? It's because they only have 8 conference games. That's the point. 8 conference games allows them to pad their schedule with weaker opponents, inflating their records to support their desired narrative.

Edited by SurlyORama

1 hour ago, SurlyORama said:

But only 4 (at max) SEC teams plays a P5 non-con opponent, while almost every team in the Big 12 does.

Plus one extra P5 by virtue of playing 9 conference games as opposed to 8.

(sorry, didn't read all the replies before posting)

Edited by Tex Pete

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

If you look at the history of College Football Champions from the first year (1869) to this past year (2018), the SEC is is not dominant whatsoever until 2006, with a slight uptick since 1995. 

Now it's important to note what happens in 1994 & 2008 

In 1994, after CBS lost the NFL to Fox, they signed a TV deal with the SEC

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-02-16-9402160310-story.html

https://www.si.com/college-football/2012/08/06/tv-college-football

So it's weird, that in the past 125 years of th sport, the SEC had 8 titles. but from 1994 on, in the next 13 years, the SEC won 5 titles. All because of TV exposure. 

This was only magnified exponentially with the ESPN TV deal signed in 2008  

It also correlates with the time teams began being arbitrarily matched up against one another by using eyeball tests. Not that previous champions weren't often crowned by how they looked, but we began having one vs two matchups determined by voters and then the four team playoffs with teams being selected by voters.

Basically regarded Florida fans on the other board I frequent (Rivals College football soundoff) doesn't understand that playing 9 conference games would equal more losses for $EC teams. They think as a cross division game everyone would apparently get to play Vanderbilt and Arkansas. It was too complex for them to understand that had aggy and Swamp lizard played this year as a 9th conference game instead of UAB and Idaho that one of them would be going home with an extra L in the column. 
They then went on to say how Florida played a tougher schedule than Texas but after breaking that shit down I don't see how anyone rates their shit schedule harder than ours.

Maryland > Charleston So
Tulsa USC > Colorado St
TCU > Tennessee
Kansas St. Oklahoma > LSU
Baylor > Vanderbilt 
Oklahoma St WVU > Missouri
Texas Tech Iowa St. > Idaho
Kansas Oklahoma/Georgia >>>> Michigan

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/final-ap-sec-has-6-teams-ranked-mwc-3-teams-pac-2-teams.862247/page-5
Dude, gaytor is aggy. Same mindset. Brain damaged ag skool they is.

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was just pointing out that your statement was incorrect.

Oops, I see your point. Looks like a max of 4 SEC teams scheduled 2 P5 opponents, not 1 as I said. I was confused because you didn't include the part of my post that was flat-out wrong. Sorry about that.

Looks like 1 SEC school scheduled 0 P5, 9 scheduled 1, and 4 scheduled 2 (if you count Notre Dame and BYU).

Regardless, I think the overall point that very few SEC schools play against 10 P5 schools is relevant. Their records are definitely better because of this. Additionally, overall the conference probably gets 6-7 fewer total losses by the fact that they only play 8 conference games, since most of those games are replaced by lower-tier opponents. 

I think the best counterargument would be that the SEC generally avoids having multiple Arkansas-esque teams each year.  Those conference games are no better than G5 opponents.

Even this year there was only Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Arkansas that were still guartanteed wins even a team came out flat.  The B12 is mostly the same with Baylor and Kansas.

Whereas about half of the teams in the Pac, ACC, and B1G are guaranteed to be G5-level dogshit perennially.

I mean if you aren't giving credit for beating Georgia Southern, then Illinois, Louisville, and Oregon Stata certainly shouldn't count either.

Edited by JBJ