Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Had a feeling things were going to go down like this. ET took a relatively team friendly deal with Seattle, and now he’s 29. He wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, or close to it. Just doesn’t seem like it’s in the cards. 

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Cowboys have to be one of the worst at signing their own players. They keep waiting too long and overpaying. They should have been able to sign Lawrence a year ago to a 5 for 85 with 60 guaranteed but now they've fucked themselves big time and will end up paying over 20 per. Probably a 5 for 110 or something like that

Outside of Dez and Romo, who else are you referring to?

And it’s hard to fault them for how D-law has played out. The beginning of his career was filled with injuries and a suspension. It wasn’t until 2 years ago that he put it together (please correct me if I’m wrong). And there’s no way in hell he would’ve gone for 5 years 85 mil coming off of a season where he led the league in sacks...right? D-Law was always going to be tricky. 

On 3/1/2019 at 10:50 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Nailed it. You would think we won a Super Bowl yesterday with how our fanbase was celebrating this move. [re-signing Witten]

Are people in the Dallas area actually happy about this move?

I would think that even people who like Witten understand that this is a horrible move by the Cowboys.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:32 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

And he was clearly getting better as the season went on. Him and Shultz to a lesser extent. TEs need time to develop. They’re rarely good right out of the gate. I respect Witten and the career that he had, but there’s no way a 37 year old who has been out of football for more than a full year should be on the field over Jarwin. His chemistry with Dak is growing.

There's no way that a 37 year-old TE who has been out of football for more than a full year should be on the 53 man roster taking practice snaps away from anyone! Not even practice squad players.

Hell, he shouldn't even be taking snaps away from anyone during OTAs nor Training Camp. He offers NOTHING that benefits the present nor future of this team.

You’re way overreacting to Witten man. It’s about snaps. If he’s coming back to never come off the field it’s a bad thing. But I doubt that’s what’s going to happen.

Also, if the Boys weren’t signing DLaw to a contract for 17 mil a year last year. He wanted 20 mil last year and that’s a big reason they used the Tag. Now he definitely deserves it and will probably get it.

16 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Lulz, this fuckin' dude. I like Beas, but not at the price he wants

It's important to remember that Beas wanted to go pro as a dirt bike racer.  His guidance counselor told him that was a stupid idea and to "get a grip"

On 3/4/2019 at 12:48 PM, 'stache said:

I don't know fuckall about how salary cap works and what is a lot or a little these days. It says this would put him about 15th among WRs next to Emmanual Sanders. I think he could justify somewhere around 20th. But it says he wants more touches, which isn't going to happen at his position. He's been utilized perfectly in my opinion. He should embrace the roll and make a bunch of money, somewhere south of $20 mil guaranteed. But if he's going to bitch about touches, we should probably let him find another place that can make him that type of promise.

I would take Emmanual Sanders any day over Beaswax. Sanders might even be more open to a slight discount for returning to D/FW at this point in his career. Time to get new blood, though.

Edited by DougO

17 hours ago, futureman said:

I’ll always be a beasley fan after seeing that pale little shrimp running around at little elm.  he beat some crazy odds.

Yep.  Not going to bash anyone wanting to get theirs, just not at the Cowboys’ expense. 

Jesus Christ you're horrible. I'm not justifying a damn thing.  Having Witten back isn't a bad thing UNLESS he's going to force his way on the field for every snap. Simple as that you clown.
Having Witten back is fucking terrible. Dude is a fucking spare now and now he's been away from the game for a year. He's not taking a diminished role. He's coming back to play as much as he can. He's selfish like that. But we will pay money to spare TEs but not fix the safety position. And we wonder why we haven't advanced past the divisional round in over 2 decades.

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, Drew said:
Jesus Christ you're horrible. I'm not justifying a damn thing.  Having Witten back isn't a bad thing UNLESS he's going to force his way on the field for every snap. Simple as that you clown.

Having Witten back is fucking terrible. Dude is a fucking spare now and now he's been away from the game for a year. He's not taking a diminished role. He's coming back to play as much as he can. He's selfish like that. But we will pay money to spare TEs but not fix the safety position. And we wonder why we haven't advanced past the divisional round in over 2 decades.

blow your wad and sign Earl Thomas and whoever else you need while Dak is on his rookie contract and go all in on a Super Bowl this year ....who gives a shit if they're in salary cap hell for the next 5 years.... they haven't won shit for nearly a quarter century ..

Jason Witten should have become a spokesman for keeps.com and not be playing in the NFL again 

• Like 1

I know when I sign a 37 year old TE for 3.5 million per year, I definitely want him to only play 15-20 snaps per game.

The whole thing is stupid all the way around. They brought him back because he sucks at broadcasting and didn't want to do that anymore. That's not a football decision. That's a Jerry is into the JW Blue and feeling nostalgic decision. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Regardless of whether or not he actually smokes because of the injuries (I think that’s debatable) it’s really hard to argue with anything he said. It’s laughable that the nfl will let guys become legitimately addicted to PKs, but they have such a strong stance against weed. Just fucking laughable. The NFL is king, but I feel like sometimes the NBA has to look at some of the shit the nfl does and just laugh. 

10 hours ago, TornACL said:

I know when I sign a 37 year old TE for 3.5 million per year, I definitely want him to only play 15-20 snaps per game.

The whole thing is stupid all the way around. They brought him back because he sucks at broadcasting and didn't want to do that anymore. That's not a football decision. That's a Jerry is into the JW Blue and feeling nostalgic decision. 

Not sure it would change your opinion but reportedly his salary is only 2 million.  Bonuses could potentially push it to 5 million, but I haven't read what those bonuses may be....

9 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Regardless of whether or not he actually smokes because of the injuries (I think that’s debatable) it’s really hard to argue with anything he said. It’s laughable that the nfl will let guys become legitimately addicted to PKs, but they have such a strong stance against weed. Just fucking laughable. The NFL is king, but I feel like sometimes the NBA has to look at some of the shit the nfl does and just laugh. 

I don't disagree at all. That said........

Not the time to make a stand and basically tell the league "fuck you" when if you would just keep quiet for 6 months you would have made an ass ton of money in free agency. Odd choice but I guess if weed is more important to him then money so be it. 

My guess he will regret his decision sooner rather than later. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:36 PM, taybo20 said:

Lee is in the final year of his deal, and I think we would only saved 7million if we release him. So unless an option for a LB comes up, I imagine having Lee around to even come in as a backup or if one of our stars gets tweaked is worth it. 7 mil isn’t small by any means, but Jerry isn’t gonna cut him whether right or wrong. I hope Witten is used the same way and understands and takes on that type of role. Swaim got injured last year, and Rico sucks ass. Could someone younger come in? Sure, but we all know this is Jerry loving Witten, generating PR and jersey sales, and JG knowing that Witten already has experience with Dak, Zeke and the playbook. It’s comoletely possible Witten comes in and is the best blocking TE on the roster. 

Swaim was the better blocker in Witten's last 2 years on the team. 

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

No other league gives a fuck about weed.  Not the MLB, or NBA, or NHL (shit NHL doesn't even care about coke), nobody.  Why can't NFL owners see that constantly having your players in the news for suspensions gives the league a black eye?  Most people don't pay enough attention to differentiate between weed,  drunk driving,  or criminal behavior. All the suspensions get lumped into the same batch. It just seems stupid to me to continuously handicap your property like this.  Many people's view of the NFL is that it's largely filled with criminals and suspensions for weed help to solidify that view. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You'd be wrong. Witten was routinely getting thrown aside on run plays

We also ran behind Witten more. I certainly remember him not making as many blocks and being weaker at the point of attack, but Swaim didn’t play the same number of snaps, nor did we run as much when he was in. I believe the idea is to run a few more twin TE sets, which could work. 

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

No other league gives a fuck about weed.  Not the MLB, or NBA, or NHL (shit NHL doesn't even care about coke), nobody.  Why can't NFL owners see that constantly having your players in the news for suspensions gives the league a black eye?  Most people don't pay enough attention to differentiate between weed,  drunk driving,  or criminal behavior. All the suspensions get lumped into the same batch. It just seems stupid to me to continuously handicap your property like this.  Many people's view of the NFL is that it's largely filled with criminals and suspensions for weed help to solidify that view. 

The cynic in me says they don't give a shit and will ultimately "give in" regarding weed but they're going to exact a pound of flesh from the players in doing so. It will get collectively bargained the NFL will make a big production about this huge concession they're giving in return for taking more money from the players.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The cynic in me says they don't give a shit and will ultimately "give in" regarding weed but they're going to exact a pound of flesh from the players in doing so. It will get collectively bargained the NFL will make a big production about this huge concession they're giving in return for taking more money from the players.

Oh I agree,  and as I've mentioned before if I were in the NFLPA I wouldn't concede anything to get movement on this issue.  It still only affects a small % of the membership so why yield ground on important matters for doing away with the weed policy.

Oh I agree,  and as I've mentioned before if I were in the NFLPA I wouldn't concede anything to get movement on this issue.  It still only affects a small % of the membership so why yield ground on important matters for doing away with the weed policy.

Small % get caught but a large % smoke. A lot.

6 hours ago, taybo20 said:

We also ran behind Witten more. I certainly remember him not making as many blocks and being weaker at the point of attack, but Swaim didn’t play the same number of snaps, nor did we run as much when he was in. I believe the idea is to run a few more twin TE sets, which could work. 

We already run more twin TE sets than any team in the league.  We really don’t need to run more 

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

NFL is the only league that has it's players over a barrel and they have a contract negotiation coming up. They aren't giving away anything without getting concessions from the players Union and that includes testing for weed. 

7 hours ago, taybo20 said:

We ran behind Witten more based on reputation. Swaim was WAY ahead of Witten as far as being a blocker goes in Witten’s last year. Witten was getting thrown around pretty easily just last year.

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Small % get caught but a large % smoke. A lot.

It culls the morons.  It's been proven repeatedly.

Where's the business loss?  for the players' association OR the League?

3 hours ago, slorch said:

It culls the morons.  It's been proven repeatedly.

Where's the business loss?  for the players' association OR the League?

I'd say it hurts the NFL's image to have players constantly in the news for suspensions.  Every suspension,  regardless of what it's for, gets lumped into the same batch.  But then again after reading your post I guess the news of players getting suspended left and right is appealing to some in a weird way.  Sort of an extra feature of some sort.  They like knowing that the herd is being culled. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We ran behind Witten more based on reputation. Swaim was WAY ahead of Witten as far as being a blocker goes in Witten’s last year. Witten was getting thrown around pretty easily just last year.

Well he was completely outmatched in the booth

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'd say it hurts the NFL's image to have players constantly in the news for suspensions.  Every suspension,  regardless of what it's for, gets lumped into the same batch.  But then again after reading your post I guess the news of players getting suspended left and right is appealing to some in a weird way.  Sort of an extra feature of some sort.  They like knowing that the herd is being culled. 

accountability doesn't turn me off.

Penn State model appeals to you, eh?