Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

If you can’t get a pass rush, nothing else matters. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I think an above average to good pass rusher is going to help our defense more than a pro bowl saftey. Outside of Lawrence, who on this team can get to the qb consistently? Because we sure as shit can’t count on Gregory. We can draft a saftey that would help us next year. You aren’t finding quality pass rushers at pick 58 and beyond. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think just about everyone knew that was a head scratcher right away. He’s a borderline elite punt returner, and right now, he’s probably better than Beasley and maybe even Cobb. And you had him on a rookie deal. They tried to put a square peg into a round hole with him. They basically drafted him because a rb (or web back lol) that they wanted got picked right in front of us

Wait, are you describing Switzer as borderline elite? 

9 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Wait, are you describing Switzer as borderline elite? 

I meant as a punt returner. He returned 7 for a td in college, and he returned one his rookie year when he didn’t even play in the first part of the year. Coming out of college, he was widely regarded as an elite punt returner.

he was definitely reckless though. He cost us the game when we played the rams. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

False. Heath is god awful and having him on the back end of your defense is a liability to say the least. 

Still funny as hell that anything short of good to great is "god awful" to you.  It's a long ways and there's lots of levels between god awful and good.  Heath is about league average, even mediocre if you really push it, but not God Awful.  Dude had an awful play against the Rams. He gets beat from time to time(as do most DB's, even great ones) But has never been nearly as bad as some make him out to be.

Should we upgrade from him? Absolutely.  But you can get by with average/mediocre guys if the others around him are really good.  They need to either make him a backup or hope our other Safety/Corners make a jump.

I would like both those moves.  Pretty much hits every NEED this offseason, and actually improves a couple of areas(DE opposite Tank, and Safety).

And LULZ at the Eagles.  I saw some of their fans crowing about it and saying how it's a built in advantage for Dallas, completely forgetting that Dallas has been on the road the weekend before thanksgiving the last few years, and many teams have the advantage of having a home Thursday Night game.

1 hour ago, Rabidhorn said:

The S Collins signed with the Bears for 3.5 million per season, so the Cowboys could not sign a pro bowl S for 4 mill a years?

Are you talking about Clinton-Dix?  He made the Pro Bowl in 2018 (2017 season) and was traded mid-season last year.  Reportedly he left some money on the table to sign with the Bears but have no idea if that's true.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Dallas has had a few opportunities to get Quinn before and passed. He would probably be a decent rotation guy that we thought Kony Ealy might be before he turned out to be a total bust. Quinn has a better track record, safer bet, higher floor, but he's older.

The Cowboys have agreed to a one-year deal with safety George Iloka, according to a source. Iloka met with the Cowboys on Friday and was the third safety to meet with the club during the week along with Clayton Geathers and Eric Berry. The Cowboys have concerns about their depth at the position that was manned by Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods last year. Iloka, who has nine career interceptions, can play both safety spots. The Cowboys had some interest in Iloka last year before he joined Minnesota, where he started three games. He is the fourth free agent the Cowboys have come to terms with so far, joining Christian Covington (DT), Kerry Hyder (DE) and Randall Cobb (slot WR).

19 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

what makes you say he's slowing down?

i'm excited about this, i think he's going to be a really good player for us in our system.

He only played about 10 snaps per game last season after being a starter most of the previous 4 years, now most of that was in the 2nd half of the season (didn't play a snap the first 4 games) and he played solidly in limited snaps but he looks like he lost half a step when he plays deep and it wasn't his forte to begin with although he's logged a lot of snaps in his career there, especially early.  He's a huge dude and getting near 30, he'll probably have to play closer and closer to the LOS.  It was most likely a pretty cheap 1 year deal so it should be fine, but he has his limitations.  I'll trust Richard to understand this and put him in positions to succeed like he did Chancellor.

49 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He only played about 10 snaps per game last season after being a starter most of the previous 4 years, now most of that was in the 2nd half of the season (didn't play a snap the first 4 games) and he played solidly in limited snaps but he looks like he lost half a step when he plays deep and it wasn't his forte to begin with although he's logged a lot of snaps in his career there, especially early.  He's a huge dude and getting near 30, he'll probably have to play closer and closer to the LOS.  It was most likely a pretty cheap 1 year deal so it should be fine, but he has his limitations.  I'll trust Richard to understand this and put him in positions to succeed like he did Chancellor.

eh, he's 28, younger than earl. and he'll be playing strong safety.  not really concerned about him losing a step especially when he's going to cover tight ends more than play center field.  his limitations going back to the draft have always been his speed and tendency to play conservatively to adjust for that shortcoming.  won't be an issue in dallas where we have xavier woods playing FS.  i've always thought he's better suited both physically and mentally to be a SS anyway.

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

eh, he's 28, younger than earl. and he'll be playing strong safety.  not really concerned about him losing a step especially when he's going to cover tight ends more than play center field.  his limitations going back to the draft have always been his speed and tendency to play conservatively to adjust for that shortcoming.  won't be an issue in dallas where we have xavier woods playing FS.  i've always thought he's better suited both physically and mentally to be a SS anyway.

29 in June.  And he's played single high or deep more snaps in his career than box.  I agree that box is or edge is probably better for him but it's not where he's been deployed and that was by Mike Zimmer for several years.  Not exactly a defensive slouch.  6'4", 220 lbs and solid tackler, I think he'd be better closer to the LOS, as do most safeties his size as they lose quickness, speed, and their hips stiffen....

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

29 in June.  And he's played single high or deep more snaps in his career than box.  I agree that box is or edge is probably better for him but it's not where he's been deployed and that was by Mike Zimmer for several years.  Not exactly a defensive slouch.  6'4", 220 lbs and solid tackler, I think he'd be better closer to the LOS, as do most safeties his size as they lose quickness, speed, and their hips stiffen....

i think we're saying the same thing.  

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not a flashy signing, and doesn't preclude them from still bringing in another guy(Berry?) or drafting a Safety at 58/90.  Should at the very least compete and probably beat out Heath.

he will beat out heath and heath will be all-pro as a special teamer.  boom

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Grain of salt comment, but I don't see any reason to lie.  I would hope it's 15-18 lbs by TC rolls around.  He's still a pup and should be growing....

This is a good thing. Much needed for Connor at this level. Him improving and getting Frederick back will help this OL immensely. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

imagine connor in austin training right now in spring football as a captain and 5th year senior for the 2019 season.  not gonna lie, it would be nice. 

I think it was more important for the UT program to have a lineman drafted in rounds 1-2 for the first time in 87 years. 

At Texas, Connor was one of those guys who was just mean. A guy like we had not had since Studdard and the Big Nasties. Dude would drive pass rushers into the ground 10 yards behind the quarterback, just to show them who the fuck they were dealing with. His footwork was damn good too. 

He’s still that dude, but his slight frame and inexperience really showed last year. He’s probably still a year away, but he’ll be a solid NFL lineman for a decade after that (no jinx). If he’s gained 10lbs, great. He could probably do with another 10. 

-And please, God, let Frederick come back at 100%