The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

2 minutes ago, Bou_10 said:

Good question hahaha yea that was pretty bad. I got one for you, if Texas is back then what’s up with the L from Maryland? 

Texas is recovering from 3 straight losing seasons under Charlie Strong.  You're citing the first game coming off a 7-6 season.  Yet in year 2 of the Herman regime once they got their feet under them the Longhorns beat a CFP team and Georgia.  Our 2nd best win was the same as LSU's best with the difference that LSU got them in Baton Rouge.  LSU's 2nd best win was against Auburn who had a losing record against P5 teams going into the bowl.  The SEC hype causes people to overrate their schedule.

After years of problems, Texas is building back towards regular 10-win seasons.  Last year was a good step but many issues were not resolved yet in week 1.  Some of them are still not resolved yet Texas played well last year.  I'd be much more concerned about LSU's inability to stop a truly mediocre aggy passing attack late in the season with a better secondary than you'll have this year.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Texas is recovering from 3 straight losing seasons under Charlie Strong.  You're citing the first game coming off a 7-6 season.  Yet in year 2 of the Herman regime once they got their feet under them the Longhorns beat a CFP team and Georgia.  Our 2nd best win was the same as LSU's best with the difference that LSU got them in Baton Rouge.  LSU's 2nd best win was against Auburn who had a losing record against P5 teams going into the bowl.  The SEC hype causes people to overrate their schedule.

After years of problems, Texas is building back towards regular 10-win seasons.  Last year was a good step but many issues were not resolved yet in week 1.  Some of them are still not resolved yet Texas played well last year.  I'd be much more concerned about LSU's inability to stop a truly mediocre aggy passing attack late in the season with a better secondary than you'll have this year.

You wanna talk about y’all best win? How about y’all go play a real CFP team like Clemson or Alabama every year instead of Oklahoma. They play irrelevant ass teams all year. Their defense is GARBAGE. The only reason they get bids for the playoffs is because they run the table playing weak ass teams. Let them go against Alabama, Georgia, or Clemson every year. We’d see how often they make the playoffs

• Fuck You 19

1 hour ago, Bou_10 said:

I can’t speak much for Texas because I don’t follow y’all that much. I know y’all have a legit QB and an all around really good team that will get better as the season progresses. I honestly think y’all can win your conference. But I also know that y’all lost 8 starters on defense and believe that the talent replacing them will overcome the experience lost. I get that and it’s a good point, and that’s why y'all will get better as the year goes on. On this board I know my opinion doesn’t matter but I feel like this is going to be an issue for y’all in the second game of the season. But honestly I don’t think that’s gonna be why LSU wins. This year LSU is gonna field it’s best defense since 2011.First off LSU is strong, deep, and experience across the line of scrimmage. Not to mention having who’s gonna be the best edge rusher in the country and future 1 round pick Chaisson. Linebacker (DA specialty) is stacked with Divinty, Queen, and Phillips. Hard to believe after losing Devin White that group would be better this year but as a unit they will be. On the back end you have Fulton (Also likely 1 or 2 round pick) along with the highest rated cornerback (Stingley) out of high school last year. I’m not trying to blow smoke but analysts believe if he was eligible he would go first round this year. And then you have Delpit and Stevens. Stevens former 5 star prospect who did really well last year is the person I think will make the biggest jump from last year to this year. Huge, fast, athletic. Now Delpit=best safety in the country. There is no argument so don’t even try. No doubt 1 round pick this year. I’m not saying LSU will win or that the game won’t be close. Based on this defense alone, if LSU with the new offense (which I really think will thrive as the year goes on) has any kind of heart beat. I don’t think Texas could overcome it. It’s going to be a great game. Good luck to y’all. Geaux Tigers

If you haven't read past the headlines I understand your confusion on the "lost 8 starters issue."

One of the replacements already outplayed the starter at his position last season.   Malcolm Roach had 2.7 tackles per game vs 2.2 for Hager.  Roach also holds up well enough against the run that he's used as a situational NT who can pass rush on long yardage downs.  Ossai at LB not only started in the Sugar Bowl.  He was the leading tackler in that game.  Another "replacement" is BJ Foster who had 43 tackles last season and also started and played well in the Sugar Bowl.  Those will all be upgrades from last year's starters.

Texas uses a rotation at NT.  Coburn beat out the remaining half of last year's rotation to claim the starter's spot.  Graham at the other DE spot played well in limited action.  Not concerned about either of those positions.  The CB situation gives me some concern because we are replacing both starters.  The new starters look good but it's a critical position and they have to prove they can be consistent.  2 LB spots are my biggest concern but that's mostly against very deceptive offenses with really good passing QBs like ISU, Baylor and maybe OU and OSU this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bou_10 said:

You wanna talk about y’all best win? How about y’all go play a real CFP team like Clemson or Alabama every year instead of Oklahoma. They play irrelevant ass teams all year. Their defense is GARBAGE. The only reason they get bids for the playoffs is because they run the table playing weak ass teams. Let them go against Alabama, Georgia, or Clemson every year. We’d see how often they make the playoffs

Let's use your assumptions for just a second.  Treat OU as a weaker team than UGa.  How does that make beating a truly mediocre Auburn team more impressive than beating OU.  I notice you completely forgot to mention they were the best offense in the country last year by a considerable margin.  And while OU's defense is below average, the devastating offenses they faced made them look worse than that.  Just look at what happened to every SEC defense vs their season average when forced to play a Big XII team during bowl season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

If you haven't read past the headlines I understand your confusion on the "lost 8 starters issue."

One of the replacements already outplayed the starter at his position last season.   Malcolm Roach had 2.7 tackles per game vs 2.2 for Hager.  Roach also holds up well enough against the run that he's used as a situational NT who can pass rush on long yardage downs.  Ossai at LB not only started in the Sugar Bowl.  He was the leading tackler in that game.  Another "replacement" is BJ Foster who had 43 tackles last season and also started and played well in the Sugar Bowl.  Those will all be upgrades from last year's starters.

Texas uses a rotation at NT.  Coburn beat out the remaining half of last year's rotation to claim the starter's spot.  Graham at the other DE spot played well in limited action.  Not concerned about either of those positions.  The CB situation gives me some concern because we are replacing both starters.  The new starters look good but it's a critical position and they have to prove they can be consistent.  2 LB spots are my biggest concern but that's mostly against very deceptive offenses with really good passing QBs like ISU, Baylor and maybe OU and OSU this year.

From what I understand y’all got some really good safeties. I know that’s gonna give us some issues. For us our biggest concern is our offensive line. Mostly left guard and right tackle. I don’t know how good y’all d-line is but I know if we don’t improve from last year y’all gonna get some penetration. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Let's use your assumptions for just a second.  Treat OU as a weaker team than UGa.  How does that make beating a truly mediocre Auburn team more impressive than beating OU.  I notice you completely forgot to mention they were the best offense in the country last year by a considerable margin.  And while OU's defense is below average, the devastating offenses they faced made them look worse than that.  Just look at what happened to every SEC defense vs their season average when forced to play a Big XII team during bowl season.

They did have a great offense. But you also have to look at the teams they were playing all year. Not exactly high quality defense. They did do well against Alabama wnd even though LSU didn’t even score a point against them, Their defense wasn’t dominant like  it has been over the last 10 years. I’m not saying they not a great team. I’m saying that if they had to play Alabama or Georgia every year like we do, they wouldn’t be in the playoffs. 

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Bou_10 said:

They did have a great offense. But you also have to look at the teams they were playing all year. Not exactly high quality defense. They did do well against Alabama wnd even though LSU didn’t even score a point against them, Their defense wasn’t dominant like  it has been over the last 10 years. I’m not saying they not a great team. I’m saying that if they had to play Alabama or Georgia every year like we do, they wouldn’t be in the playoffs. 

I mean, you have to realize this is a fucking vomiting aneurysm of a sentence.

• Like 1

Nobody here is saying LSU's defense isn't going to be good. The question is actually about where the bigger gap is - LSU's defense vs Texas' offense? Or Texas' defense vs LSU's (new) offense? Y'all aren't going to get much of a good read on your new offense against Georgia Southern. If we expose weaknesses during the game, you won't have time to fix it. It won't help if your defense holds us to 13 pts if your offense can't score 6.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bou_10 said:

Georgia every year?  You can’t beat Bama and don’t play in the SEC title game. The SEC sees to it you only play Georgia twice every 12 years. We play Georgia the same amount you do. 

Again. Now you are pointing out the SEC myth. That mighty LSU D struggled with mediocre Aggy, UCF’s back up QB with a G5 squad and a Florida team with a remedial offense. 

Facts show when the SEC plays an offense with a pulse (see bowl games vs the big 12) their Ds are almost 10pts worse a game. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bou_10 said:

Except LSU doesn't play UGA every year.  You're Florida's bitch (we know, it's unfair, we get it)

9 hours ago, Bou_10 said:

I can’t speak much for Texas because I don’t follow y’all that much. I know y’all have a legit QB and an all around really good team that will get better as the season progresses. I honestly think y’all can win your conference. But I also know that y’all lost 8 starters on defense and believe that the talent replacing them will overcome the experience lost. I get that and it’s a good point, and that’s why y'all will get better as the year goes on. On this board I know my opinion doesn’t matter but I feel like this is going to be an issue for y’all in the second game of the season. But honestly I don’t think that’s gonna be why LSU wins. This year LSU is gonna field it’s best defense since 2011.First off LSU is strong, deep, and experience across the line of scrimmage. Not to mention having who’s gonna be the best edge rusher in the country and future 1 round pick Chaisson. Linebacker (DA specialty) is stacked with Divinty, Queen, and Phillips. Hard to believe after losing Devin White that group would be better this year but as a unit they will be. On the back end you have Fulton (Also likely 1 or 2 round pick) along with the highest rated cornerback (Stingley) out of high school last year. I’m not trying to blow smoke but analysts believe if he was eligible he would go first round this year. And then you have Delpit and Stevens. Stevens former 5 star prospect who did really well last year is the person I think will make the biggest jump from last year to this year. Huge, fast, athletic. Now Delpit=best safety in the country. There is no argument so don’t even try. No doubt 1 round pick this year. I’m not saying LSU will win or that the game won’t be close. Based on this defense alone, if LSU with the new offense (which I really think will thrive as the year goes on) has any kind of heart beat. I don’t think Texas could overcome it. It’s going to be a great game. Good luck to y’all. Geaux Tigers

Doomed, we are.  Is that 4 or 5 first rounders?  Lost count.  

Alabama played maybe three good teams in the regular season last year. Clemson played... one or two? Your point about the defense of LSU is correct, although it's funny to knock Texas for losing starters but then talk up Chiasson and a true freshman CB. That schedule nonsense can right fuck off though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Bou_10 said:

They have to play Texas every year at a neutral site and now have to play Texas every year twice more often than not. 

Good question hahaha yea that was pretty bad. I got one for you, if Texas is back then what’s up with the L from Maryland? 

Maryland was the first game of the season.  Your game against the Ags was the last. Teams improve over the course of a season, but it doesn't seem like yours did.  That loss to A&M is really, REALLY embarrassing for you. 

The good news is, your loss to Texas will actually be against a good team, so no embarrassment necessary.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bou_10 said:

Dear Bou_10 (aka some psuedo french than real coonass)

You will find out after week 2 when you grapple with the reasons Le Tigre had its junked ripped off and is ousted from Austin early in the 2019 season.  Then you can explain that to every needle-dicked armchair bat-twat of a fuckstick who will invariably ask this question  as they will have no real justification in proclaiming anything original or vaguely insightful to add and display little in the way of productivity unless you count yelling upstairs to its mother that it is:

1. Time for Spaghettios, Crunch Berries, or some other manner of infantile fare - or,

2. Time to dress up faincy 'n play "Dr Quinn - Medsin Whoa-man."

f5RrCK3.jpg

Edited by simulcast
  • Like 2

From the comment section of the Defensive Line Preview linked above:

Spoiler

Here is a good link that shows what Mullen was doing vs. Aranda. Im glad Aranda is making changes.

Posted  by PureGeauxld  on Aug 16, 2019 | 2:54 PM

Master class chess games of 2018: Mullen vs Aranda

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sith_horn said:

From the comment section of the Defensive Line Preview linked above:

Hide contents

Here is a good link that shows what Mullen was doing vs. Aranda. Im glad Aranda is making changes.

Posted  by PureGeauxld  on Aug 16, 2019 | 2:54 PM

Master class chess games of 2018: Mullen vs Aranda

As soon as I saw that diagram at the beginning of the article, I thought QB run. Herman loves to run Sam off tackle when the RB and TE are lined up on the same side. If they have the nickel off the ball and the box safety that far back, we’ll be able to pick up some consistently nice gains with our bread and butter. 

Sam looks really weird running option plays. They’re effective at times, but he’s never looked comfortable doing it. I don’t really think it’s his style to just take off without waiting so he can read his blockers and the defense, but speed options need him to do that to force a decision from the OLB. It seemed like we ran that less as the season went on last year. 

I like that the play at the end of the article is included as an example of an effective run against LSU because we run that a ton for Sam. He’s really good at it. It’s also a perfect example of why I think Braun is a great fit for us. He’s going to be great pulling and leading all those counter plays. Im excited to see him doing that instead of Vahe. 

On 8/15/2019 at 10:22 PM, Bou_10 said:

The highlighted parts are the thing that bothers me most about the LSU fans posting on here.

Chaisson career games played:  12

Chaisson career TFL and sacks:  5.5 and 3

BJ Foster career games played:  12

BJ Foster career TFL and sacks:  9 and 2.5

BJ Foster doesn't count as a returning starter and that is apparently an issue for Texas.  K'Lavon Chaisson however, is the strength of LSU's defense, a future first round pick, and the best edge rusher in college football.

So according to the LSU fans, returning experience matters when it matters, and it doesn't matter when it doesn't matter.  Elite recruits lacking experience are going to improve LSU's defense, but they're going to hold back Texas's defense.

Edited by fellside
  • Like 9

Yeah, LSU gots what should be a pretty good D... getting back most of the guys who only gave up 74 points in their last regular season road game... well, and only let their Toilet Bowl's eleventh string QB hit 'em for 32 points.

As many of us have said, though: Texas O versus LSU D will more than offset LSU O versus Texas D. ST a wash at worst. Coaching? Bwaaahahaha.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Bottom line: we gonna win. Dunno if we gonna kick ass, but we bring the W.

EDIT: Talking as of today, 17 August 2019; barring disastrous injury problems and/or BS reffing from SEC zebras, I feel pretty good about how it's going down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fellside said:

LSU's inability to stop this play encourages me some.  LSU plays so much man coverage, Ehlinger should have a field day on power and draws.  This is the type of thing that killed Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

spacer.png

As long as the ball remains in the QB's hands, the DBs have to honor the threat and cover downfield.  LSU keeps their corners in man technique close to 100% of the time.  If you can simulate a passing threat long enough to get them out of their backpedal, they can be taken out of run support with their backs turned to the QB. 

46 minutes ago, fellside said:

LSU's inability to stop this play encourages me some.  LSU plays so much man coverage, Ehlinger should have a field day on power and draws.  This is the type of thing that killed Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

spacer.png

That's the play I was referencing in my post too.

We ran that concept 4 times in the final 8 plays of the game-clenching TD drive against UGA: 3 yards on fourth and 1 to end the 3rd quarter; 5 yards on second and 15 (Sam was hit at the LOS but somehow muscled forward, this is a perfect example of the unique value that Sam brings to our offense); stuffed on first and goal; stuffed on third and goal.   

I think that was the call on fourth and goal as well but I honestly can't tell what the fuck Vahe is doing. He isn't blocking downhill but he also isn't pulling. He kind of just falls down. He isn't particularly effective on any of the other four instances but it's a miracle Sam scored considering how bad he was on fourth down. 

Anyways, I'm excited to watch Braun leading the way when pulling this season.

The highlighted parts are the thing that bothers me most about the LSU fans posting on here.
Chaisson career games played:  12
Chaisson career TFL and sacks:  5.5 and 3
BJ Foster career games played:  12
BJ Foster career TFL and sacks:  9 and 2.5

BJ Foster doesn't count as a returning starter and that is apparently an issue for Texas.  K'Lavon Chaisson however, is the strength of LSU's defense, a future first round pick, and the best edge rusher in college football.
So according to the LSU fans, returning experience matters when it matters, and it doesn't matter when it doesn't matter.  Elite recruits lacking experience are going to improve LSU's defense, but they're going to hold back Texas's defense.

no...Chaisson isn’t the strength of our defense. not even close.

Delpit, Divinity, Fulton, Phillips, Stevens, Lawrence...in that order.

11 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

no...Chaisson isn’t the strength of our defense. not even close.

Delpit, Divinity, Fulton, Phillips, Stevens, Lawrence...in that order.

I was responding to what I quoted.

Regardless, I doubt anyone is concerned about Chaisson's lack of experience on the edge.

17 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Yeah, LSU gots what should be a pretty good D... getting back most of the guys who only gave up 74 points in their last regular season road game... well, and only let their Toilet Bowl's eleventh string QB hit 'em for 32 points.

As many of us have said, though: Texas O versus LSU D will more than offset LSU O versus Texas D. ST a wash at worst. Coaching? Bwaaahahaha.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Bottom line: we gonna win. Dunno if we gonna kick ass, but we bring the W.

EDIT: Talking as of today, 17 August 2019; barring disastrous injury problems and/or BS reffing from SEC zebras, I feel pretty good about how it's going down.

I'm glad it's NOT big 12 officials.

22 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

As soon as I saw that diagram at the beginning of the article, I thought QB run. Herman loves to run Sam off tackle when the RB and TE are lined up on the same side. If they have the nickel off the ball and the box safety that far back, we’ll be able to pick up some consistently nice gains with our bread and butter. 

Sam looks really weird running option plays. They’re effective at times, but he’s never looked comfortable doing it. I don’t really think it’s his style to just take off without waiting so he can read his blockers and the defense, but speed options need him to do that to force a decision from the OLB. It seemed like we ran that less as the season went on last year. 

I like that the play at the end of the article is included as an example of an effective run against LSU because we run that a ton for Sam. He’s really good at it. It’s also a perfect example of why I think Braun is a great fit for us. He’s going to be great pulling and leading all those counter plays. Im excited to see him doing that instead of Vahe. 

In the LSU fan's comment, he mentions that Aranda has made adjustments for what Florida exploited, but who knows. Obviously, Aranda will scheme for what Texas does. Sam's ability to read the D and set appropriate protections will be key and Aranda will try to play cat and mouse around that. I agree Sam does look too deliberate on speed options. I think he's being very careful to avoid fumbles, but selling the fake or keep requires a quick action as you mentioned.

14 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Anyways, I'm excited to watch Braun leading the way when pulling this season.

Just hope his pass protection is up to snuff. If anyone can test it, LSU can. No doubts about his run blocking or pulling at all. I'm also salivating at the thought of runs to the left with a Cosmi-Braun tandem. As always, the trenches will play a deciding role. LSU has a couple of monsters at NT. Shaq has his work cut out for him, but he goes up against the likes of Keondre in practice and held his own against Gawja.

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

I'm glad it's NOT big 12 officials.

Who is officiating? Looked but couldn't find anything on it.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:25 AM, Bou_10 said:

Why should OU play those teams every year, when those teams don't play those teams every year? Clemson plays in the worst P5 conference, natbe 2nd worst to the current Pac-12.

Edited by HtownHorn

On 8/15/2019 at 10:25 PM, Bou_10 said:

Y’all gave up 1200 points to aggy.  We did play Georgia we fucked their moms in the ass for 3.5 periods and allows the refractory period for them to score once or twice. Spare me your Alabama plus 13 conf bullshit 

• Like 1

Scrimmage Report - Tiger Rant

Comments below from the poster with sourced info, but if you want full context of Q/A, just click the link and read the thread.

Spoiler

Scrimmage ReportPosted on 8/17/19 at 6:13 pm
Here’s the lowdown from the scrimmage.

-More of the same from my post last week. The offense is still going up tempo and wide open. Went 5 wide a few times and kept the tempo going.

-Burrow looked okay and Myles looked okay. Myles did however throw a god awful interception in the red zone in third down. Brady and Ensminger lit him up for it.

-Myles is a bit of a feast or famine at the moment. He turns it over but also has some highlight reel throws too.

-Trey Palmer caught a bomb from Myles for about 60 yards.

-Jamar Chase is that dude right now. Watching him and sting go at it reminds me of Pat and Julio back in the day. He just so damn strong and quick. He’s a stud.

- Clyde is the best back right now. He understands the game and the blocking schemes and how to get yards against college defenses. Emery and Ty still tend to bounce it a bit too much but they’ll learn. Both of them are Uber talented.

- Emery bounced one and took it for about 60 yards and Ty ran the ball really well.

- Racey Mcmath had a great day today but he’s been playing well all camp this coming from the players. He’s been quietly doing very well.

-Sting is the punt returner and jamar has returned kicks. He’s super explosive.

-The d line did a very good job. Lawrence made some really nice plays today.

-About half of the six sacks probably weren’t real but 3 were for sure.

-Kenan Jones came down from his safety spot and played backer in one blitz package and got the sack. He’s another super athletic guy.

-The offensive line had a much better day. They had a lot of guys back and were able to pound the rock a lot more this week. Charles and Deculus looked good.

-Cade York is the real deal. We will see if he can do it in game but he’s got a great leg.

-Overall, the whole team looked better. Defense won some, offense won some. Both sides went at it and it was good to see. The depth can be a little concerning in some spots but hopefully these younger guys develop and are ready by midsession.

-Any other questions I’ll try to answer.

-My source didn’t say specific names other than Rashard on the d line but he said it was a war up front. Both lines winning at different points in time. Was fun to watch.

-Yes. The whole o line has looked improved.

-I think we know that we can run, want to get the QB’s timing down in the new offense.

-CEH knows how to hit holes and read blocking schemes in college at this point. Emery and Ty still have a little high school “run away from everybody to the outside” in them. Not to say they aren’t talented backs. They will absolutely play and get a ton of carries. People are sleeping on Clyde though. He’s a good back.

-My source is a buddy I coached with and he said the offense is a lot like we ran at the school we were at. Definitely balanced with some smash mouth run but with a lot more screens and 3/4 receiver patterns. From what I gather, it would resemble something you’d see in like an Ohio State type look.

-

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Donno, Zavala only pawn in game of Football

Up until a couple of years ago, I thought the visitor got to bring their refs, but home got to staff the "Upon further review" tube-gazers. USC in LA refused XII refs and we let them get away with it. Not sure who was tubing.