The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

From an LSU insider

Just a heads up...
Suspensions are coming... 2 for sure and possibly a 3rd, and yes 1 of them is a starter. Not the 1 game variety either. Specific timeframes are still being decided, so until everything is nailed down, don't expect an announcement from the staff. While SIGNIFICANTLY better, the compliance issue still hasn't been completely erased.

happy star trek GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

From an LSU insider

Just a heads up...
Suspensions are coming... 2 for sure and possibly a 3rd, and yes 1 of them is a starter. Not the 1 game variety either. Specific timeframes are still being decided, so until everything is nailed down, don't expect an announcement from the staff. While SIGNIFICANTLY better, the compliance issue still hasn't been completely erased.

Go on...

On 8/24/2019 at 8:25 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Folks are giving LSU's defense too much credit. They play high school teams which inflate their stats. Yes, they have talent, but UCF worked that same defense with a backup QB. What do you think Sam is going to do? They don't have a single 1000 yd wr, and their returning RB had like 400 yards, and they'll be dependent on a true frosh (albeit talented) kid to tote the rock. He's not Leonard Fournette. 

Texas will curb stomp that defense, just like they did Georgia and all of their 5 stars. Not to mention learning a new system rarely works for anyone, and it definitely won't be up to snuff by the time Sam and Co rape their women and children. 

All of this.

Call me a homer, but I feel like we should be favored by 6 or 7 at home over LSU.  

And there's reason to believe that we're better than we were last January.  And LSU is not better than Georgia was last January.

And I expect roughly the same result.  We physically beat their ass and win by 7 or 10 in a game that really wasn't that close.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

From an LSU insider

Just a heads up...

The rumor on Tigerdroppings is it's their best OL. I'm not sure who they consider to be their best OL, but the names seem to be Charles (LT), Cushenberry (C), or Lewis (RG)

As for the other one-two, here are names that surprisingly didn't show up on the depth chart:

Cherry
Brooks
Baskerville
Pettigrew
Monroe

1 minute ago, Fud said:

The rumor on Tigerdroppings is it's their best OL. I'm not sure who they consider to be their best OL, but the names seem to be Charles (LT), Cushenberry (C), or Lewis (RG)

As for the other one-two, here are names that surprisingly didn't show up on the depth chart:

Cherry
Brooks
Baskerville
Pettigrew
Monroe

Their OL was already thin (not literally, of course) and struggling. If true, we should really be able to take advantage of that matchup.

• Haha 1

Not good for any position on the OL if that rumor is true, but think Cushenberry (C) would be worst case scenario for them.

Dandy Don's LSU Sporting News - 8/26/2019

Spoiler

From Ken: I read with interest your comment to Mike Detillier about being worried about depth at the center position. You’re right, that’s something that hasn’t been written about much. Tell me more about Smith and Turner, the two guys you mentioned as backups to Cushenberry.

My Response: First, it should be noted that I am very high on Cushenberry and think he might be the most under-appreciated player on the team, from a general fan’s point of view. (Centers often are.) Coach O will release an official depth chart today, and it will be interesting to see who is listed as Cushenberry’s backup(s). Freshman Charles Turner is very talented, and I know the staff is high on him, but he’s only about 270 pounds and needs to gain another 20+ to be able to withstand the rigors of SEC play. Junior Michael Smith, a former walk-on, certainly has the size at 6-2, 325, but he’s entering his fourth season without ever having played in a game. Another option is sophomore Chasen Hines (6-3, 336). He’s played mostly guard but worked some at center this preseason. He’s a candidate to start at right guard and probably would have that position secured if he had not missed some practice time while recovering from an offseason knee surgery.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Their OL was already thin (not literally, of course) and struggling. If true, we should really be able to take advantage of that matchup.

If this is indeed true then the new starter is probably going to be either Chasen Hines or Badara Traore.  Neither or really any good.  Ironically, we recruited both and they ended up picking LSU over Texas.

3 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Not good for any position on the OL if that rumor is true, but think Cushenberry (C) would be worst case scenario for them.

Dandy Don's LSU Sporting News - 8/26/2019

Hide contents

From Ken: I read with interest your comment to Mike Detillier about being worried about depth at the center position. You’re right, that’s something that hasn’t been written about much. Tell me more about Smith and Turner, the two guys you mentioned as backups to Cushenberry.

My Response: First, it should be noted that I am very high on Cushenberry and think he might be the most under-appreciated player on the team, from a general fan’s point of view. (Centers often are.) Coach O will release an official depth chart today, and it will be interesting to see who is listed as Cushenberry’s backup(s). Freshman Charles Turner is very talented, and I know the staff is high on him, but he’s only about 270 pounds and needs to gain another 20+ to be able to withstand the rigors of SEC play. Junior Michael Smith, a former walk-on, certainly has the size at 6-2, 325, but he’s entering his fourth season without ever having played in a game. Another option is sophomore Chasen Hines (6-3, 336). He’s played mostly guard but worked some at center this preseason. He’s a candidate to start at right guard and probably would have that position secured if he had not missed some practice time while recovering from an offseason knee surgery.

Cushenberry is their best offensive lineman. That would be a disaster. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

LSU's O-Line is lacking depth but certainly has plenty of width.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

All of this.

Call me a homer, but I feel like we should be favored by 6 or 7 at home over LSU.  

And there's reason to believe that we're better than we were last January.  And LSU is not better than Georgia was last January.

And I expect roughly the same result.  We physically beat their ass and win by 7 or 10 in a game that really wasn't that close.

All of this. Respect LSU? Absolutely due to talent. To think they're better than we are? No. Sam is Tom Brady compared to Joe Burrow. Their offensive line is fat and slow. Orlando thrives on their offense, and even if they are changing it, it will take another year to get it going. I see Texas winning by 2 if Tom doesn't get conservative.

I kind of doubt an all conference, team leader type player like their center goes and does something stupid enough that LSU of all places gives a multiple game suspension.

But, man, it'd be fun to watch Coburn line up against a 264lb true freshman. They'd have to double every play.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I kind of doubt an all conference, team leader type player like their center goes and does something stupid enough that LSU of all places gives a multiple game suspension.

But, man, it'd be fun to watch Coburn line up against a 264lb true freshman. They'd have to double every play.

I predict an incredibly thorough investigation that takes until the day after the Texas game to complete and then all will be made clear. The best of the LSU compliance office are at work on this.

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Someone outside of LSU has the goods if LSU is handing out suspensions and investigating. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We won't have to wait long to find out who, if anyone, is suspended.

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Screw that. I want their roster healthy and their best lineup starting. I want to see Coburn and the rest of the team in action against the best they have. I'm also interested to see how Shack handles their NT's and Okafor against their end rushers. Clearly Hand considers him improved, but all I can remember is him getting beat. Same thing with Boyce at CB.

4 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Screw that. I want their roster healthy and their best lineup starting. I want to see Coburn and the rest of the team in action against the best they have. I'm also interested to see how Shack handles their NT's and Okafor against their end rushers. Clearly Hand considers him improved, but all I can remember is him getting beat. Same thing with Boyce at CB.

I don’t care.  I just want the win.  If they have people out, I’d prefer that.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

All of this.

You're not a homer.  You're an objective analyst who understands that LSU licks donkey taint.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I'll settle for just a W thank you 

• Like 3

If all or even some of what is posted about LSU is correct,   Orgeron is good as gone if the season becomes a shit show.     If they get dog stomped  by one of the SEC! SEC! SEC! rivals, it occurs the next day.    Some of the odds makers are putting the odds of a  shit show in Baton Rouge up there on their lists of potential shit shows.   

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/ncaaf/first-ncaaf-coach-fired-2019/

Edited by Nueces River Rat

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is one of the oldest of the Internet fan tropes, and probably the second silliest behind "You're not a coach!!?!". It's football and they're a corrupt program with a bunch of idiots that wouldn't even academically qualify to graduate from a Texas high school. Fuck everything about them. If they're loaded with suspensions and injuries, fucking awesome. I hope we route them and they cry about it in public. No one anywhere remembers who was on the field for the loss but the losers. No one besides Texas fans has ever given a single fuck about Colt McCoy going down in the first half when we were whipping Alabama's ass for the 2009 MNC.

I will happily witness Texas beating the fuck out of LSU irrespective of who is or isn't starting for them. The premise that you would actually care otherwise is laughable folly. 

Amen.

I want TEXAS to be at full strength for every game.  Screw those other guys.

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

I agree on wanting them at full strength, or at least not any more disadvantaged than we are. It was more a comment on how big of a loss the center position in particular would be, based on who they would lose and who would replace him.

I think Shack will do well enough against their NTs. He will have help in most situations. They aren't the kind of NTs that are going to create interior pressure with quickness, ala Poona Ford. Okafor... Yeah, I'm not expecting that to go real well. That will have to be schemed around.