The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

Texags will be worse...
Nah, they'll say LSU (insert excuse) and talk about how much worse they'll beat LSU later.

Their last two games are at Georgia and at LSU. Both if those teams may need help in the polls at that point and will do their best to destroy aggy by as much as possible.

2 hours ago, jinx said:

So I never found the INSANE quote, but I did read enough SECrant to learn not to spend much time over there.  My favorite was the Clemson fan calling Texas soft.  That's glorious from a team whose name used to be a verb.  

Clemson is the worst johnny come lately I can recall.  The only reason they're remotely acceptable is they sometimes beat Alabama.

And yes, SECrant is horrible.  It's basically Texags but across the entire Confederacy.  Spending even 3 minutes there reduces your IQ by 50 points.  Permanently.

3 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

LSU injury issues are as bad as I can remember any team having leading into their opener. At least 7 or 8 guys in the two-deep not practicing.

What I read from it is that while yes, they have a lot of injuries, it sounds like most will be back before game 1 and get some reps prior. They should have what they need for the OL We have similar injuries with Ingram, Sterns, Shack and Overshown.

49 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

What I read from it is that while yes, they have a lot of injuries, it sounds like most will be back before game 1 and get some reps prior. They should have what they need for the OL We have similar injuries with Ingram, Sterns, Shack and Overshown.

They might have a problem at OG.  I presume there is a reason for moving depth guys from OT to OG.  It's not as if OT is a tower of strength.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, OU Sucks said:

I guess anyone can Photoshop a quote onto a photo and have a whole message board believe it's real.

edo.jpg

this is a complete sentence with a subject and verb.  also, all of the words are english.

fake quote.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

this is a complete sentence with a subject and verb.  also, all of the words are english.

fake quote.

Naaahh. Just edited into an englishy format. Actual sounds, as heard by English-speaking humanoids, would be more like "Akka kownuh wah".

Preseason Thoughts on LSU’s Offense

Spoiler

Scott: Looking back at the Q&A we did last preseason, I was reminded that Joe Burrow hadn’t even been named the starter at this time last year. How much better do you think he’ll be in his second year as a Tiger now that he has chemistry with the receivers and the full respect of those around him?

Mike: Joe is the leader offensively on this team. He is the heartbeat. His teammates respect him and they know he is “the guy.” Joe has taken over in his quiet manner and been the type of leader/player you crave at the most important spot on the team.

Coach O has told me numerous times “Joe Burrow is a quieter version of Bobby Hebert.” You know there’s no way he can talk as much as Bobby, but when you stepped on the field with Bobby you knew he was going to find a way to win for you. Like Bobby, Joe can make all the throws. Like Bobby, he is mentally tough and he is not afraid to pull the ball down and run, and late in a game he wants the ball in his hands. Some people don’t want that responsibility. Joe wants the ball in his hands to win it late. Bobby wanted the ball in his hands late to win a game. There’s a different mentality in those type guys. It’s easy to sit on the couch and say I would do this and I would do that – but Joe is like Bobby J in wanting that hot light on him to win a game. It’s part of being a winner.

Joe needed a place to start after being beat out by Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State- and LSU and Coach O gave him that opportunity. But looking back, Joe may well have been the biggest factor in Coach O’s success at LSU and who knows what would have happened had Burrow not been here last season.

He’s tough, quick with his release; He reads and recognizes coverages very well and he has good accuracy skills. Joe is a good runner with the ball also. I wish he would take the slide sometimes, but he’s a good runner in the open field. And this team is loaded with talent at wide receiver. It’s the right fit and Joe was the right guy.

Scott: One thing that held Burrow back at times last year was backup quarterback Myles Brennan being injured. LSU just didn’t have the depth at quarterback to risk injuring Burrow by running him very much. But when they turned him loose late in the season, he really took on another dimension. Now that Brennan is healthy and has another offseason under his belt, how much more does his free-up the staff to fully utilize Borrow’s talents? And how capable do you think Brennan is should he be called upon to run the offense?

Mike: Myles has the arm talent. There’s no question about it. He has physically gotten bigger and stronger and the new offense is what he ran in high school. Brennan is the future of this team and if called upon he can make it happen.

Biggest improvement I see in him is his ability to read and recognize different coverages better. Myles has a gun for an arm, he can spin it, but the difference is that he feels more comfortable in knowing where to go with the ball and he has more options this season. The ability to get the backs and TEs more involved is huge.

Myles has a strong arm, but he also has good touch on the short and intermediate throws also. He can run the offense if he is put in the lineup, and I expect you are going to see him play this season even with a healthy Joe Burrow.

Scott: Perhaps the biggest thing that limited LSU’s passing attack last year was pass protection. And a big part of that was because LSU’s O-line was dealing with a ton of injury and attrition. I’ve said before that the O-line remains my biggest area of concern for this year’s team. You feel the same?

Mike: I agree. And I always think it is the last piece of the puzzle to come around for any team. It’s just not an individual position, but it is five players playing as one.

It’s like a dance group and you can clearly see the one person out of step.

Lloyd Cushenberry is an outstanding center for the Tigers and underrated. I am very interested in seeing how the tackles perform. Coach O has talked highly of their progress this off-season. Saahdiq Charles and Austin Deculus have worked hard to upgrade their pass blocking techniques and get in better physical shape. And so has Badara Traore. The short, real quick passing attack will help out also.

Damien Lewis is an outstanding guard and a pro player. The big question mark is on the other side at guard. Chasen Hines is coming off surgery. Adrian Magee and Donavaughn Campbell came to LSU with big expectations and they have seen some work, but they haven’t yet hit the high notes on the field. Who knows with Ed Ingram. He has a court date in September and early in the summer there was hope they would have him to start the year, but that obviously won’t happen.

So there is some uncertainty, but with the injuries during camp it hurt in the fact that you couldn’t build that continuity with five guys. So, that’s the concern early. Just having five guys plays as one unit.

Scott: One position that concerns me that I haven’t heard many talk about is the center position. Don’t get me wrong, I agree that Lloyd Cushenberry is outstanding. I just don’t see anyone backing him up who appears SEC game-ready at this time. I understand that Chasen Hines could do well there, but he’s worked mostly as a guard. I hear that former walk-on Michael Smith is looking really good, but is up to the task if called upon? And then there’s Charles Turner who I know the staff loves, but he seems little light at around 270. You share my concern?

Mike: Yes, I agree with that, but you could say that for virtually every college team at one spot. It’s certainly a concern, but you can’t do anything about it. You got to play with the best guy if something would happen to Lloyd.

The center spot is the most underrated in this sport. You make all the calls and adjustments and you have to anchor the middle as a run blocker and picking up inside blitzes. It’s a tough spot.

It’s why guys like Will Clapp, who was so good when he was here, and why Lloyd is so valuable. In my opinion, when you look at talent and depth for LSU, Cushenberry and K’Lavon Chaisson would be the hardest guys to replace on this team today if an injury happened. We saw that last season when Chaisson went down in Game No. 1.

Scott: But really, aside from health concerns – which all teams deal with – I really don’t see any holes in this Tiger team. You?

Mike: Nothing huge. I can’t tell you about the place-kicker spot because he has not done it in college. There is no questioning the kicking skillset of Cade York – who can boom them, but no one can tell you how he handles kicking under pressure in a college game. The top ones handle pressure spots well and have great confidence in their kicks. We saw that last season with Cole Tracy. But the coaches have raved about Cade’s talent as a kicker.

Health concerns and continuity issues are there up-front along the offensive line, but this team is very talented.

Scott: We’ll talk about the defense later, but first let’s talk a bit about what to expect from this offense. A lot of fans are reluctant to believe the offense will truly be different this year. You buying it? If so, how different do you expect it to be?

Mike: Well, I have seen it in the practice sessions. But I get it. Coach Miles had great success here, but every year he said things would change and they didn’t.

Ed has been through the revolving door with Matt Canada one year and Steve Ensminger the next, but Steve wanted this change.

And bringing in Joe Brady was the right idea. He has those pro concepts in what he saw with the New Orleans Saints and they are using the short pass like an extended hand-off to the wide receivers. That’s similar to what the Saints have done.

What jumps out to me is the quick pace of this new offense. Steve and Joe have them up on the line of scrimmage quickly and it prohibits teams from substituting “situational” wise.

It’s what drove LSU defenses in the last two years up the wall against teams like Troy State, Syracuse, and Florida. It’s a wear-down approach.

Also getting the TEs and backs involved more. That part sticks out. If it’s Stephen Sullivan, Thaddeus Moss, or Tory Carter, you’ll  see them more involved in the passing attack.

And you have to take advantage of Clyde Edwards Helaire and John Emery’s ability to catch the ball out in the flat.

A more fast-paced scheme and more utilization of the TEs and running backs. It’s real, and it’s not just talk.

Scott: Let’s talk about the backfield. It’s safe to assume Clyde Edwards-Helaire will begin the season as the featured back, but what kind of impact do you expect the hot-shot freshmen to have?

Mike: I think it will change from game to game and situation to situation. Clyde is a good football player. He runs hard; He has very good field vision; He makes people miss in space and he is an elite receiver coming out of the backfield.

John Emery is a big-time player. I saw him play so much at Destrehan. He runs with power and speed;  He sees the field well and he has good cut-back skills. And like Clyde, he catches the ball so well as a receiver. In many ways – running style and skillset – Emery reminds me of Ezekiel Elliott when he came out of high school to Ohio State.

Tyrion Davis-Price reminds me a lot of a guy Coach O had at USC in Lendale White. Tyrion is a big back, a power back, but he also runs with excellent body lean and he fights for every inch on the field. He has lost some weight and improved his overall quickness. He’s a “thumper” and he is a very physical runner.

Chris Curry is the “X factor.” We saw him run with good power and leg drive in the spring and he is pieced together physically. He is going to see action in the short-yardage and red-zone packages because of his skills. I want to see how cleanly he catches the ball coming out of the backfield.

It will be running back by committee and with the change in offensive philosophy and spreading the field out, it really helps the running game. You won’t have all those guys in the box to stop the run.

Scott: LSU has had a 1,000-yard rusher for several years now. I was asked if I think that streak will continue this year and my answer was no, simply because I think the load will be shared more than in the past, but I’d like to know how you’d answer that question.

Mike: I agree, and who cares if you have a 1,000-yard rusher. Yes, I would love to have that signature guy, but if four guys are sharing the load and your offense is humming isn’t that what you want?

You haven’t won any championships lately with those 1,000-yard rushers right, so what does that really mean in the long run?

I want it to be effective and I still believe they will run the ball a lot this season, but it doesn’t have to be just one guy. Sharing the load and situational play will be the key here, and also if a guy is hot running the ball, give it to him. One thing I see in college football today is that a runner finds a groove and gets hot and the coach pulls him to play another. Run that guy!

I understand using multiple backs and I agree with that thought process, but if someone gets the hot hand, keeping feeding it to him. So if you have a 1,000-yard rusher that is great, but it doesn’t mean squat in the long run. I think today it is more about wearing teams down with different backs hitting them at different times. It’s a good spot to be in. But Emery and Price are very talented young runners.

Scott: And what about on the receiving end? Last year, Justin Jefferson had more than the lion’s share of catches. No one else had half the number of catches he had. Do you see a more diverse passing attack this year, and who do you see leading the way?

Mike: Joe trusts Justin will be where he wants and needs him to be, and he is the guy he goes to in critical spots. But if there is a young star emerging, it is Ja’Marr Chase. He is so gifted as a receiver. He has improved his route running skills and he is elusive after the catch. An outstanding runner after the catch. You want him to touch the ball as much as possible.

Terrace Marshall is improved and healthy now. He gives you a big play target with size and speed and he has really upgraded his route-running skills. That threesome of Chase, Jefferson and Marshall is impressive and then you have the speedster in Derrick Dillon. Jontre Kirklin has made great progress after being moved from DB to WR and the two freshmen players in Devonta Lee and Trey Palmer are the real deals.

And one player that plays hard, is talented, and doesn’t get much recognition is Racey McMath. Racey is a good football player and he also is a big-target end.

So yes, the ball will be in spread out more, but every QB has a favorite downfield target who he trusts and Burrow trusts Justin Jefferson.

But my goodness, Ja’Marr Chase is some talented.

Scott: Is this the season we finally see the tight end fully utilized in the passing game?

Mike: Yes. Stephen Sullivan is built to play that flex-TE spot and he is gifted as a receiver. Now, he will have some occasional mental lapses and will drop an easy throw, but he has great size and can make the difficult catch. And he is a nightmare to match up against.

I am impressed with Thaddeus Moss. He’s finally healthy and he is a very athletic flex tight end and he runs with the ball well after the catch.

Tory Carter is a tough dude. He’s a good route runner and he is hard to bring down in the open field.

Jamal Pettigrew is a really good looking prospect who has fought off injuries, and he is another huge target player with good hands. And he finds the weak spots in a defense.

So, yes. They will use the tight end more in this offense as a receiver.  And they have different options. And just listen to Coach O praise his tight ends. Listen to him; He’s telling you how good that unit is.

Scott: One last question before moving on to defense. Do you see this more as Steve Ensminger’s offense with Joe Brady’s influence, or Brady’s offense with Ensminger’s wrinkles? 

Mike: This is Steve’s offense with Brady’s influence. They work as a team to build this offense. Steve wanted a “spread” offense and Joe has helped out immensely. And you have the right signal-caller, too, in Joe Burrow. They trust Burrow will make the right decision on the field on where to go with the ball and again, you spread the field out and it helps the rushing attack. There is less traffic inside for the runners to go through.

We haven’t seen it in a game yet and you certainly don’t want to show everything vs. Georgia Southern, but I like what I see and this team has some real strong options in the receiving department and a good set of backs with different strengths.

Stay tuned for More from Mike in our next report…

LSU FOOTBALL 2019, BETTER OR WORSE?

Spoiler

Offensive line

When the Tigers’ offense struggled in 2018, the offensive line was at the heart of the struggle. That was never more evident than in the Alabama game. From the outset, the Tigers were no match for the Tide thanks to injuries and inexperience. It didn’t help that returning starter Ed Ingram never made it back to the team. Somehow, despite using a different combination of offensive linemen for the first six games, LSU cobbled it together and got enough of an effort for a 10-win season. The good news is that four of those five starters are back this season with lessons learned.

Even though this year’s group is going through some injury issues in camp, by opening night they should be resolved. It would be nice to have injured Kardell Thomas back but the future looks good for tackles Saahdiq Charles and Austin Deculus, center Lloyd Cushenberry, and guard Damien Lewis, who is finally getting healthy. We’ve heard it said that Charles might be the team’s most improved player, and that would be big, if true. Up for grabs is the left guard slot and it looks like Adrian Magee is tightening his grip there, with Chasen Hines in reserve.

An argument could be made that it’s foolish to expect huge improvement when it’s all the same guys back, but experience, maturity, and continuity mean a lot, especially on the offensive line.

Prediction: Better

Defensive line

The best thing that happened to LSU’s 2019 defensive line is that not much happened to it in the off-season. Rashard Lawrence and Breiden Fehoko, two possible early NFL draft entrants, stuck around and bring serious mojo to the starting end spots. Nose tackle Ed Alexander left but the Tigers could be even better there with an improved Tyler Shelvin and freshman Siaki Ika, who seems built for the job. That’s a strong rotation in the middle and the depth branches out from there.

Glenn Logan might be the best backup defensive end in the SEC having played starter’s snaps. Justin Thomas, Neil Farrell and Jarell Cherry have all moved up in the pecking order and are knocking on the door for playing time. LSU’s front is strong against the run game and talented enough to pressure opposing passers even without calling a linebacker or safety blitz. Not only is this group better, it might be the best LSU D-line since the Michael Brockers-Bennie Logan days.

Stay tuned for more in this series…

I find it fascinating that no one at all seems to be thinking about the implications of offensive changes for LSU's defense.  Experience in the Big XII has shown that teams can dislocate the opposing defense by using tempo.  They can also wear down their own defense when their offense goes tempo.  Play counts tend to balloon on both sides and DCs run out of different blitz packages and coverage schemes. 

LSU of all people should know what that looks like.  BOTH defenses looked nearly impotent during the 7 OTs at dead dog field.  Using a lot of tempo just means the play counts get into the 80s during regulation.  With their Fatball(TM) roster they are either going to rotate a bunch more than they are used to or they will exhaust their own defense as well as the opponent.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

I find it fascinating that no one at all seems to be thinking about the implications of offensive changes for LSU's defense.  Experience in the Big XII has shown that teams can dislocate the opposing defense by using tempo.  They can also wear down their own defense when their offense goes tempo.  Play counts tend to balloon on both sides and DCs run out of different blitz packages and coverage schemes. 

LSU of all people should know what that looks like.  BOTH defenses looked nearly impotent during the 7 OTs at dead dog field.  Using a lot of tempo just means the play counts get into the 80s during regulation.  With their Fatball(TM) roster they are either going to rotate a bunch more than they are used to or they will exhaust their own defense as well as the opponent.

I can’t tell which would entertain me more: LSU reverting to a vanilla offense at the first sign of adversity, or seeing the offense run its own defense into the ground. I feel like we’re going to see one or the other when they come to Austin. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I can’t tell which would entertain me more: LSU reverting to a vanilla offense at the first sign of adversity, or seeing the offense run its own defense into the ground. I feel like we’re going to see one or the other when they come to Austin. 

I hope it's the 3 and out in 30 seconds offense that shawn Watson 'installed'.

LSU of all people should know what that looks like.  BOTH defenses looked nearly impotent during the 7 OTs at dead dog field.  Using a lot of tempo just means the play counts get into the 80s during regulation.  With their Fatball™ roster they are either going to rotate a bunch more than they are used to or they will exhaust their own defense as well as the opponent.

not really an issue when we’re getting 3 and outs...

LSU vs UT goes way back! My Dad was on the team that played LSU in the ‘63 Cotton Bowl. Even though they only lost 13-0, the score wasn’t indicative of the ass whipping received according to both the players and DKR.
The mantra heading into the off-season was that never again would a Longhorn team be out-physicaled or better conditioned! They ended up sweating their ass of more during the spring of ‘63, under the West side, than ever before! Sometimes even turning the heater on in the weight / exercise room of the West side - thanks Frank Arena!

All this helped lead to an undefeated ‘63! So thanks LSU.

• Like 1

Folks are giving LSU's defense too much credit. They play high school teams which inflate their stats. Yes, they have talent, but UCF worked that same defense with a backup QB. What do you think Sam is going to do? They don't have a single 1000 yd wr, and their returning RB had like 400 yards, and they'll be dependent on a true frosh (albeit talented) kid to tote the rock. He's not Leonard Fournette. 

Texas will curb stomp that defense, just like they did Georgia and all of their 5 stars. Not to mention learning a new system rarely works for anyone, and it definitely won't be up to snuff by the time Sam and Co rape their women and children. 

• Like 2

Preseason Thoughts on LSU’s Defense

Spoiler

August 25, 2019

Scott: Coach O has talked about this being a more aggressive, free-flowing defensive. What does that look like to you?

Mike: Coach O and Dave Aranda felt they needed to come up with different ways to gain pressure and attack the passing game. It’s about creating pressure, and on obvious passing downs having the best four pass rushers on the field at the same time. This is about freeing up K’Lavon Chaisson and also others from off the edge and also some interior blitz situations. I think you will see them try and do a few different things by getting pressure from the middle.

Scott: Last year, LSU’s pass rush wasn’t what it has been, but that should be improved this year with K’Lavon Chaisson. But what’s not talked about as much is LSU’s rush defense, which wasn’t really up to LSU standards. Your thoughts on that and this year’s outlook?

Mike:  That drove Coach O up the wall. That bothered him more than anything and at times folks ran the ball successfully up the middle on them. Some of it is tackling better and some of it is that they were just not wrapping up well and runners were breaking through the initial would-be tackle. Emphasis was placed on wrapping up and tackling better. They had people in position and just didn’t make the tackle. It’s been a point of emphasis in the spring and fall drills to take good angles of pursuit and wrap up better. Also, because of who they play early, to bring down the quarterback better in the open field and affect the pitch.

Orgeron was not very happy with their inability at times to stop the run. He always preaches that and it was not a strong point last season. It has to improve. Also, better play on the nose from Tyler Shelvin and Apu Ika. Ed Alexander was hurt last season and he played through the injury later and at times played well. But that spot has to be the focal point in run defense.

Scott: Do you think LSU finally has the depth to rotate D-linemen the way Coach O has been wanting to do since arriving at LSU?

Mike: Yes. I think the depth is good along the defensive line with folks with experience, and also they really like what they are seeing from Joseph Evans, the freshman from Haynesville. One guy I think will have a breakout season is Glen Logan. He has looked really good and he has a chance to break through this season. Rashard Lawrence is very talented, and I think Neil Farrell Jr. will be a good rotational player. Breiden Fehoko is a strong presence versus the run and they like what they have seen from Nelson Jenkins also.

Coach O has always talked about a six-man or seven-man rotation and he has it now with defensive line. He wants those players fresh in the fourth quarter.

Scott: That reminds me: I’ve yet to get your thoughts on new defensive line coach Bill Johnson.

Mike: I know about Coach Johnson through Coach O and Bobby Hebert. They spoke to me about him when both were at NW State. I got to know Bill when he was coaching the D-Line at Louisiana Tech under Joe Raymond Peace, who was coaching at NW State when Bill, Coach O, and Bobby J were all there.

Bill’s a really good fundamental coach. He knows how to put guys in a position to make a play and get the most out of a player. When you get to a certain age in coaching, you are going to bounce around and that has happened to Bill. But he’s a really good coach; a hard worker who emphasizes stopping the run and comes up with schemes to get the pass rushers loose. 

Johnson has close ties to Coach Orgeron and they are long time friends. He  understands what they want to do on defense and he has always been someone who relates well to players. I think today that is so important. He’s a really good pick-up for LSU. Nothing against the young coaches in Kenechi Udeze and Christian LaCouture, but look at the experience of Bill and who he has worked with, and also his experience and years in the NFL. That’s a really pick-up for LSU.

Scott: Of course, there has to be some question about what kind of a hit the defense will take without Butkus Award winner Devin White. What do you make of LSU’s linebacker corps without him?

Mike: They are stacked. I think the one breakthrough guy has been Damone Clark. He’s big, very physical, runs the field very well, and he drops well in coverage. Just listen to Coach Orgeron and every press conference and he has raved about him.

Michael Divinity is a tremendous football player and he has taken so well to the switch from outside linebacker to inside linebacker. It’s a matter of taking different angles and working around bigger folks and Divinity is a really good football player. He’s smart, aggressive, and has a knack for slipping would-be blockers and getting to the ballcarrier.

Big fan of Jacob Phillips. Another physical player inside with quickness and foot speed, and a very hard hitter. He drops back well in coverage and he just flows so well to the ballcarrier.

Patrick Queen has gotten physically stronger and works around the heavy guys pretty well. He’s a really good athlete who runs the field very, very well and he’s a good open field tackler. He has the quickness and speed to be very effective in coverage spots.

K’Lavon Chaisson is a stud player. If he is healthy, it changes the game. Opponents have to be aware of where he is on every snap. He’s long-armed, has very good leverage skills to get around bigger blockers, and he can cut the edge. A very “aware” football player who has physically gotten stronger and he’s a major league force as a pass rusher. Even when he doesn’t make a play, he affects the blocking schemes upfront and people have to adjust their blocking to control him. He’s a special football player.

Andre Anthony and Ray Thornton are improved players and better at using their hands to get off of blockers. Both have a quick initial step up the field and have excellent closing speed.

Jarell Cherry is a guy I want to see in games. He has a speed/quickness edge presence that I think will work very well in this defense. He has gotten stronger and has become a better technician. He can get after the QB either upfront with his hand in the dirt or off the edge.

Scott: If LSU is stout against the run, it sure seems like opponents will have a difficult time moving the ball on LSU with the secondary the Tigers have. No other school has two All-Americans in its defensive backfield, and they’re not the only playmakers. How special do you see LSU’s secondary being this year?

Mike: It’s outstanding. I think the most improved player from last season to this year is Jacoby Stevens. They have finally found the right defensive niche for him. He’s a tremendous player and I think you will see a lot of three-safety alignments with Todd Harris being in that number. Todd is smart, tough, and aggressive. He finds the ball quickly in flight and he’s a playmaker.

Grant Delpit, the best defensive player in college football. Enough said.

Kristian Fulton was the best cornerback last season before the injury. I wrote that in this space last December. If healthy, he is one of the elite cover guys in college football and a potential first-round pick. He is so aware as a cover guy and he breaks so hard to the football in flight.

Derek Stingley doesn’t play like a freshman. His instincts and his ball skills are just outstanding. He is going to get picked on and he knows that because he has no skins on the wall in college, but he is mentally tough. He is going to give up some plays, but also make a ton of big plays too. His foot speed and recovery skills are outstanding.

Kary Vincent Jr., is excellent in the slot and he has great speed and improved techniques as a cover guy. Coaches have spoken very highly of him and his progress as a player.

The surprise has been the work and improvement of the young backups at cornerback in Cordale Flott, Jay Ward and the longterm skills of Raydarious Jones, who played a lot of offense in high school but is coming along very well as a cornerback. Those young men have really played well in the fall drills.

They are also excited about the potential of Marcel Brooks at safety and Maurice Hampton, who has worked a little at cornerback, in the slot, and at safety.

Scott: You think Derek Stingley lives up to his billing? 

Mike: No question. He will be an impact player in the return game as a punt returner. He has great field vision, the ability to maneuver around heavy traffic, and he has a speed gear to kick into.

Derek will have some bumps along the way as a cornerback, like every freshman cornerback, but he is mentally tough and he has one trait the great ones have: upper-echelon ball skills. He finds the ball quickly in flight. You can’t teach that. Either you have it or you don’t. He has it.

With Fulton on one side and him on the other, they will test him. And he will get beat, but he will also make you pay the price for testing him. He has become a better open field tackler and he is working to upgrade that part of his game, but he’s the real deal.

But you know, when he is going to get beat for a touchdown some will raise sand and say he was overhyped. The same folks will say “I told you so” when he makes the big plays. He’s a tremendous football player and the coaches love his work ethic and his attention to detail.

Scott: Who do you predict will be the biggest surprise impact player on defense?

Mike: Damone Clark at linebacker. He is a difference-maker and you’ve got to get him on the field. There is a lot of competition there, but he has made his mark.

Scott: Biggest concern on defense?

Mike: A lot of young guys at cornerback with no college experience at the position. They can play and have practiced well, as I pointed out earlier, but there’s no experience behind Kary Vincent and Kristian Fulton and Derek Stingley is a freshman. Cordale Flott looks very good to me. He eyes the ball well and plants and breaks hard to the football.

Scott: Turning to special teams, kicker Cole Tracy was a difference-maker last year and will be missed. But the staff seems awfully high on true freshman Cade York. I kind of think you never know what you have in the kicking game until your guy is called upon in the clutch, under the lights, in front of 90,000 screaming fans. Know what I mean? What are your expectations for York early on and as the season progresses?

Mike: Cade York is a very good kicking prospect, but you are right, you never really know. There is a difference in kicking a field goal in the 2nd quarter and a potential game-winner. It’s all about consistency and gaining the trust of the coaching staff. Cade is talented, strong-legged and now he has to prove it again in college. Being mentally tough is the hard part. Morten Andersen says it all the time about being mentally tough and also being able to put aside a miss and then hit the next one. Sometimes we see a kicker get derailed and it affects the next kick and the next kick. So for Cade, it’s about gaining consistency and also the mental toughness to hit the big kicks that can win or lose a game. And most importantly, getting over a missed kick quuickly.

Scott: Thanks, Mike. I always appreciate your feedback and know my readers do, too. Geaux Tigers!

Mike: Thanks so much, Scott. I hear so many really good comments about the site and how hard you work to get information to the Tiger Nation. Much Appreciated. Look, when you get stopped at the grocery store or pumping gas and people talk about how much they enjoy these segments, that says a lot about your site and the excellent content. Keep up the great work. Geaux Tigers!

LSU FOOTBALL 2019, BETTER OR WORSE (LBs & DBs)?

Spoiler

Linebackers

It’s going to be hard to rate this group better when it loses perhaps the best linebacker in school history, Butkus Award winner Devin White. But when you look at LSU’s depth at the position and add the fact that K’Lavon Chiasson returns after missing all but part of one game last season, maybe it’s a push. Chiasson will give opposing offenses something to scheme for with his pass rush abilities. Ray Thornton seems to have nailed down the outside gig opposite Chiasson, while Travez Moore and Andre Anthony have raw pass-rushing skills and are waiting in the wings.

On the inside, Michael Divinity appears to have one starting spot locked up. Jacob Phillips, Patrick Queen, and Damone Clark are battling for the other starting role and make LSU’s depth at the position a luxury seldom seen. It wasn’t long ago that LSU found itself shorthanded at linebacker, but now the cupboard is full.

Prediction: Push

Secondary

LSU lost two starters from this group – cornerback Greedy Williams and safety John Battle – but reloaded with players that could turn out to be superior. Derek Stingley is a more physical, better tackling replacement for Williams, who will make up for his inexperience with a mad set of corner skills. JaCoby Stevens or Todd Harris will step in for Battle, who lacked those two guys’ playmaking ability.

Saving the best for last, cornerback Kristian Fulton is getting some All America love from the national media, and there might not be a better defensive player in the nation than safety Grant Delpit. There is some concern that LSU lacks experienced depth at cornerback, and that one of the two starting corners is a freshman. In fact, Detillier calls it his biggest defensive concern in our Q&A. All I can say about that is this: If this LSU cornerback depth is the biggest concern on that side of scrimmage, this defense should be really special.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Preseason Thoughts on LSU’s Defense

Reveal hidden contents

August 25, 2019

Scott: Coach O has talked about this being a more aggressive, free-flowing defensive. What does that look like to you?

Mike: Coach O and Dave Aranda felt they needed to come up with different ways to gain pressure and attack the passing game. It’s about creating pressure, and on obvious passing downs having the best four pass rushers on the field at the same time. This is about freeing up K’Lavon Chaisson and also others from off the edge and also some interior blitz situations. I think you will see them try and do a few different things by getting pressure from the middle.

Scott: Last year, LSU’s pass rush wasn’t what it has been, but that should be improved this year with K’Lavon Chaisson. But what’s not talked about as much is LSU’s rush defense, which wasn’t really up to LSU standards. Your thoughts on that and this year’s outlook?

Mike:  That drove Coach O up the wall. That bothered him more than anything and at times folks ran the ball successfully up the middle on them. Some of it is tackling better and some of it is that they were just not wrapping up well and runners were breaking through the initial would-be tackle. Emphasis was placed on wrapping up and tackling better. They had people in position and just didn’t make the tackle. It’s been a point of emphasis in the spring and fall drills to take good angles of pursuit and wrap up better. Also, because of who they play early, to bring down the quarterback better in the open field and affect the pitch.

Orgeron was not very happy with their inability at times to stop the run. He always preaches that and it was not a strong point last season. It has to improve. Also, better play on the nose from Tyler Shelvin and Apu Ika. Ed Alexander was hurt last season and he played through the injury later and at times played well. But that spot has to be the focal point in run defense.

Scott: Do you think LSU finally has the depth to rotate D-linemen the way Coach O has been wanting to do since arriving at LSU?

Mike: Yes. I think the depth is good along the defensive line with folks with experience, and also they really like what they are seeing from Joseph Evans, the freshman from Haynesville. One guy I think will have a breakout season is Glen Logan. He has looked really good and he has a chance to break through this season. Rashard Lawrence is very talented, and I think Neil Farrell Jr. will be a good rotational player. Breiden Fehoko is a strong presence versus the run and they like what they have seen from Nelson Jenkins also.

Coach O has always talked about a six-man or seven-man rotation and he has it now with defensive line. He wants those players fresh in the fourth quarter.

Scott: That reminds me: I’ve yet to get your thoughts on new defensive line coach Bill Johnson.

Mike: I know about Coach Johnson through Coach O and Bobby Hebert. They spoke to me about him when both were at NW State. I got to know Bill when he was coaching the D-Line at Louisiana Tech under Joe Raymond Peace, who was coaching at NW State when Bill, Coach O, and Bobby J were all there.

Bill’s a really good fundamental coach. He knows how to put guys in a position to make a play and get the most out of a player. When you get to a certain age in coaching, you are going to bounce around and that has happened to Bill. But he’s a really good coach; a hard worker who emphasizes stopping the run and comes up with schemes to get the pass rushers loose. 

Johnson has close ties to Coach Orgeron and they are long time friends. He  understands what they want to do on defense and he has always been someone who relates well to players. I think today that is so important. He’s a really good pick-up for LSU. Nothing against the young coaches in Kenechi Udeze and Christian LaCouture, but look at the experience of Bill and who he has worked with, and also his experience and years in the NFL. That’s a really pick-up for LSU.

Scott: Of course, there has to be some question about what kind of a hit the defense will take without Butkus Award winner Devin White. What do you make of LSU’s linebacker corps without him?

Mike: They are stacked. I think the one breakthrough guy has been Damone Clark. He’s big, very physical, runs the field very well, and he drops well in coverage. Just listen to Coach Orgeron and every press conference and he has raved about him.

Michael Divinity is a tremendous football player and he has taken so well to the switch from outside linebacker to inside linebacker. It’s a matter of taking different angles and working around bigger folks and Divinity is a really good football player. He’s smart, aggressive, and has a knack for slipping would-be blockers and getting to the ballcarrier.

Big fan of Jacob Phillips. Another physical player inside with quickness and foot speed, and a very hard hitter. He drops back well in coverage and he just flows so well to the ballcarrier.

Patrick Queen has gotten physically stronger and works around the heavy guys pretty well. He’s a really good athlete who runs the field very, very well and he’s a good open field tackler. He has the quickness and speed to be very effective in coverage spots.

K’Lavon Chaisson is a stud player. If he is healthy, it changes the game. Opponents have to be aware of where he is on every snap. He’s long-armed, has very good leverage skills to get around bigger blockers, and he can cut the edge. A very “aware” football player who has physically gotten stronger and he’s a major league force as a pass rusher. Even when he doesn’t make a play, he affects the blocking schemes upfront and people have to adjust their blocking to control him. He’s a special football player.

Andre Anthony and Ray Thornton are improved players and better at using their hands to get off of blockers. Both have a quick initial step up the field and have excellent closing speed.

Jarell Cherry is a guy I want to see in games. He has a speed/quickness edge presence that I think will work very well in this defense. He has gotten stronger and has become a better technician. He can get after the QB either upfront with his hand in the dirt or off the edge.

Scott: If LSU is stout against the run, it sure seems like opponents will have a difficult time moving the ball on LSU with the secondary the Tigers have. No other school has two All-Americans in its defensive backfield, and they’re not the only playmakers. How special do you see LSU’s secondary being this year?

Mike: It’s outstanding. I think the most improved player from last season to this year is Jacoby Stevens. They have finally found the right defensive niche for him. He’s a tremendous player and I think you will see a lot of three-safety alignments with Todd Harris being in that number. Todd is smart, tough, and aggressive. He finds the ball quickly in flight and he’s a playmaker.

Grant Delpit, the best defensive player in college football. Enough said.

Kristian Fulton was the best cornerback last season before the injury. I wrote that in this space last December. If healthy, he is one of the elite cover guys in college football and a potential first-round pick. He is so aware as a cover guy and he breaks so hard to the football in flight.

Derek Stingley doesn’t play like a freshman. His instincts and his ball skills are just outstanding. He is going to get picked on and he knows that because he has no skins on the wall in college, but he is mentally tough. He is going to give up some plays, but also make a ton of big plays too. His foot speed and recovery skills are outstanding.

Kary Vincent Jr., is excellent in the slot and he has great speed and improved techniques as a cover guy. Coaches have spoken very highly of him and his progress as a player.

The surprise has been the work and improvement of the young backups at cornerback in Cordale Flott, Jay Ward and the longterm skills of Raydarious Jones, who played a lot of offense in high school but is coming along very well as a cornerback. Those young men have really played well in the fall drills.

They are also excited about the potential of Marcel Brooks at safety and Maurice Hampton, who has worked a little at cornerback, in the slot, and at safety.

Scott: You think Derek Stingley lives up to his billing? 

Mike: No question. He will be an impact player in the return game as a punt returner. He has great field vision, the ability to maneuver around heavy traffic, and he has a speed gear to kick into.

Derek will have some bumps along the way as a cornerback, like every freshman cornerback, but he is mentally tough and he has one trait the great ones have: upper-echelon ball skills. He finds the ball quickly in flight. You can’t teach that. Either you have it or you don’t. He has it.

With Fulton on one side and him on the other, they will test him. And he will get beat, but he will also make you pay the price for testing him. He has become a better open field tackler and he is working to upgrade that part of his game, but he’s the real deal.

But you know, when he is going to get beat for a touchdown some will raise sand and say he was overhyped. The same folks will say “I told you so” when he makes the big plays. He’s a tremendous football player and the coaches love his work ethic and his attention to detail.

Scott: Who do you predict will be the biggest surprise impact player on defense?

Mike: Damone Clark at linebacker. He is a difference-maker and you’ve got to get him on the field. There is a lot of competition there, but he has made his mark.

Scott: Biggest concern on defense?

Mike: A lot of young guys at cornerback with no college experience at the position. They can play and have practiced well, as I pointed out earlier, but there’s no experience behind Kary Vincent and Kristian Fulton and Derek Stingley is a freshman. Cordale Flott looks very good to me. He eyes the ball well and plants and breaks hard to the football.

Scott: Turning to special teams, kicker Cole Tracy was a difference-maker last year and will be missed. But the staff seems awfully high on true freshman Cade York. I kind of think you never know what you have in the kicking game until your guy is called upon in the clutch, under the lights, in front of 90,000 screaming fans. Know what I mean? What are your expectations for York early on and as the season progresses?

Mike: Cade York is a very good kicking prospect, but you are right, you never really know. There is a difference in kicking a field goal in the 2nd quarter and a potential game-winner. It’s all about consistency and gaining the trust of the coaching staff. Cade is talented, strong-legged and now he has to prove it again in college. Being mentally tough is the hard part. Morten Andersen says it all the time about being mentally tough and also being able to put aside a miss and then hit the next one. Sometimes we see a kicker get derailed and it affects the next kick and the next kick. So for Cade, it’s about gaining consistency and also the mental toughness to hit the big kicks that can win or lose a game. And most importantly, getting over a missed kick quuickly.

Scott: Thanks, Mike. I always appreciate your feedback and know my readers do, too. Geaux Tigers!

Mike: Thanks so much, Scott. I hear so many really good comments about the site and how hard you work to get information to the Tiger Nation. Much Appreciated. Look, when you get stopped at the grocery store or pumping gas and people talk about how much they enjoy these segments, that says a lot about your site and the excellent content. Keep up the great work. Geaux Tigers!

LSU FOOTBALL 2019, BETTER OR WORSE (LBs & DBs)?

Reveal hidden contents

Linebackers

It’s going to be hard to rate this group better when it loses perhaps the best linebacker in school history, Butkus Award winner Devin White. But when you look at LSU’s depth at the position and add the fact that K’Lavon Chiasson returns after missing all but part of one game last season, maybe it’s a push. Chiasson will give opposing offenses something to scheme for with his pass rush abilities. Ray Thornton seems to have nailed down the outside gig opposite Chiasson, while Travez Moore and Andre Anthony have raw pass-rushing skills and are waiting in the wings.

On the inside, Michael Divinity appears to have one starting spot locked up. Jacob Phillips, Patrick Queen, and Damone Clark are battling for the other starting role and make LSU’s depth at the position a luxury seldom seen. It wasn’t long ago that LSU found itself shorthanded at linebacker, but now the cupboard is full.

Prediction: Push

Secondary

LSU lost two starters from this group – cornerback Greedy Williams and safety John Battle – but reloaded with players that could turn out to be superior. Derek Stingley is a more physical, better tackling replacement for Williams, who will make up for his inexperience with a mad set of corner skills. JaCoby Stevens or Todd Harris will step in for Battle, who lacked those two guys’ playmaking ability.

Saving the best for last, cornerback Kristian Fulton is getting some All America love from the national media, and there might not be a better defensive player in the nation than safety Grant Delpit. There is some concern that LSU lacks experienced depth at cornerback, and that one of the two starting corners is a freshman. In fact, Detillier calls it his biggest defensive concern in our Q&A. All I can say about that is this: If this LSU cornerback depth is the biggest concern on that side of scrimmage, this defense should be really special.

Glad to see their writers don’t pump sunshine.

3 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

So every one of their players are studs and have no weaknesses whatsoever? Gotcha

As far as recruiting goes, that's actually kind of true.  They have a team full of top 100 recruits.  They feel about their team the way we feel about the guys from the last two recruiting classes.

If we win, it will be because our coaching (development and scheme) and qb are better.  In addition to their offensive recruits being overrated.

After watching the Florida-Miami game last night, I feel much better about this game. The SEC has athletes galore, but the coaching, especially offensively is just so bad. I just don't see LSU being able to score 14 points against an equally athletic Texas defense minus 3+ TOs, and as we saw last year, Ehlinger doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Folks are giving LSU's defense too much credit. They play high school teams which inflate their stats. Yes, they have talent, but UCF worked that same defense with a backup QB. What do you think Sam is going to do? They don't have a single 1000 yd wr, and their returning RB had like 400 yards, and they'll be dependent on a true frosh (albeit talented) kid to tote the rock. He's not Leonard Fournette. 

Texas will curb stomp that defense, just like they did Georgia and all of their 5 stars. Not to mention learning a new system rarely works for anyone, and it definitely won't be up to snuff by the time Sam and Co rape their women and children. 

Damn straight.

Football_2018-10-08_Texas_v._OU_Katie.Ba

• Like 1

From an LSU insider

Just a heads up...
Suspensions are coming... 2 for sure and possibly a 3rd, and yes 1 of them is a starter. Not the 1 game variety either. Specific timeframes are still being decided, so until everything is nailed down, don't expect an announcement from the staff. While SIGNIFICANTLY better, the compliance issue still hasn't been completely erased.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1