Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

3 hours ago, Burt said:

We've always been a multiple dog family, but we lost two dogs 2 and 3 years ago (both during OU week) and have been a one dog family ever since.  The two we lost were 13 and 14 years old and it was pretty hard on us all so we've been reluctant to bring another in.  Well, a friend's dog had a litter of pups a few weeks back and my daughter has been pressing me to get one.  We're huge Brave fans (since 1978 for me, so no bandwagon here!)...so I told her we could get a puppy if the Braves won the World Series.  I never even expected them to get past the Brewers so felt it a safe bet.  I didn't specifically say from this litter, but she says it was implied...and just the fact that a freshly turned 9 yr old knows how to use that argument correctly almost sways me.  The main thing holding me back is both pups remaining are males, and I've always had better luck with females in the intelligence department.  So what say ye?

IMG953328.thumb.jpg.2563d832adc862ad3a3362146d064a4c.jpg

IMG953327.thumb.jpg.74673001d2187a631575030ad5f4a227.jpg

52633021.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

The main thing holding me back is both pups remaining are males, and I've always had better luck with females in the intelligence department.  So what say ye?

Every kid needs a dog and every dog needs a kid.  I'm old skool in my raising and the area where I reside is comparable to deep East Texas in dialect and train of thought. That being said we call male dogs---a dog pup or dog if mature. Females are called a gyp. I have had a lot of dogs in the past and have a ton now (20). I have both dogs and gyps outside. In the house it is all gyps, for a reason. I have never noticed any difference in overall intelligence between dogs and gyps. Dogs will be more hard headed than gyps and that is a fact. Its the boy in them that makes them that way. Same as difference between girl students and boy students. The boys are gonna be a little hard headed and the girls are going to be easier to correct and a little more eager to learn.

But----why not both? Every dog deserves a good home and that dog getting a home will pay it back tenfold with devotion. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This dog tried to be awesome. I raise sheep and American Bald Eagles have set in and are preying on newborn lambs. Tuesday morning the dog tried to rescue a baby that an Eagle attacked, killed, and carried away. The Eagle fought the dog and Autie (that's his name) got lacerated a bit. All this happened 15 yards behind the house.

Autie---he's a tad bit wild, so had to kind of trap him in a 36 foot goose to doctor on him.

Anyhow--Good Boy! Autie

IMG_20211103_162435912_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211103_162518423.jpg

IMG_20211102_171923663.jpg

IMG_20210301_153447768 - Copy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 8

So I am making the trek to Austin for Christmas to visit family and bringing Monroe. Are there any good dog friendly bars/restaurants you can recommend?

We have a great Dog Bar in out area that Monroe loves going to but I have read mixed things about Yard Bar, but want to hear thoughts of the Surly dog family.

Thanks

Monroe.PNG

Edited by Ogie Ogilthorpe
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

So I am making the trek to Austin for Christmas to visit family and bringing Monroe. Are there any good dog friendly bars/restaurants you can recommend?

We have a great Dog Bar in out area that Monroe loves going to but I have read mixed things about Yard Bar, but want to hear thoughts of the Surly dog family.

Thanks

Monroe.PNG

All of em.

Luna and her dog park bestie, Layla. Watching these two work the park is so fucking cool. They make it clear they run shit by working together to snuff out bad behavior and keep the other dogs in line. 

Would love to see them out on an open field to see what they do.

20211109_100411.jpg

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Luna and her dog park bestie, Layla. Watching these two work the park is so fucking cool. They make it clear they run shit by working together to snuff out bad behavior and keep the other dogs in line. 

Would love to see them out on an open field to see what they do.

20211109_100411.jpg

That is a tag team enforcement operation for sure.  Great girls.

• Hook 'Em 2

Tor, was Bailey the dog you had when you found the dog that Sidney Carton took into his family? Or was that a different dog? His dog passed like a year or so ago and he had old pictures from the Shag of the dogs together. I think further back in this thread. I'm too lazy to look but was just wondering. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

Tor, was Bailey the dog you had when you found the dog that Sidney Carton took into his family? Or was that a different dog? His dog passed like a year or so ago and he had old pictures from the Shag of the dogs together. I think further back in this thread. I'm too lazy to look but was just wondering. 

I had Bailey when Mia got dumped here.  She was so scared she wouldn't even walk, had to carry her home.  Bailey helped her out a little bit I guess.  She was a mess.   Sidney gave her a good home. 

16 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Thanks

Monroe.PNG

Where are you staying in Austin?

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Was she on a highway or busy road? I'd be scared too, poor girl. Yeah, she had a good life.

My girl is 11 and I found a fatty growth on her side but the vet didn't seem too concerned when I showed him. I think I want it off in case it turns into cancer. She is a cocker mix and still pretty spry. 

Mia was dumped at Washington and Heights.  I do not know, but I think Bailey and her litter were dumped on 99 somewhere.

All of them found good homes.

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

My last three have lived to be 16+. Stopped using any chemical cleaners around the house and pesticides years ago. I think it was the difference. Poor pups have their nose down in that shit. 

weird, Was just thinking this, and how pets hardly ever seem to grow old gracefully and die in their sleep (well I guess most humans don't either... ) 

plus their noses are right at tailpipe level ...it always bugs me when my dog geta a face full of exhaust

12 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I thought balds were fishing eagles but I guess they'll go for whatever they can get. Anyway you can get the newborns and moms in a structure so the eagles can't get them? Like a barn? Fuckin raptors are smart and relentless. Good luck.

They are creatures of opportunity. Bastards eat anything that they can get. National Refuge is ten miles South of me and I'd imagine that is where they are coming from. Have confirmed three different ones here but I think there is four Balds. Showing not much fear out all is what makes me think refuge raised because they interact closely with their hatch by providing sippy cups and diddies.

Trapped and moved a pair of my bear fighters/ cat LGD's Saturday instead of watching the Horn ass kicking. Sunday they got one of the bastards down and mauled the living piss out of it afore it could take wing. Lot of feathers and blood splash and left out wobbly as hell. Don't know about that bird and don't give one damn. Between Mexican Blackhead Vultures (Coragyps atratus), American Bald Eagle, and Golden Eagle the fukers have cost me around $160,000, an arrest and defense, and a character assassination. I have no fuks left to give.

Barns, you say? What is this type of building in which you speak? I'm range sheep and have 800 ewes.

3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Was she on a highway or busy road? I'd be scared too, poor girl. Yeah, she had a good life.

My girl is 11 and I found a fatty growth on her side but the vet didn't seem too concerned when I showed him. I think I want it off in case it turns into cancer. She is a cocker mix and still pretty spry. 

Lipomas are common at that age and rarely cancerous, and you can get a biopsy with removal.  But yes, totally understand the worry. We were set to take our dog in to have her two lipomas removed a month ago when, before the procedure, tests led to an inoperable (and totally unrelated) hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. We put her down three days later. F cancer. 

• Hook 'Em 1