Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

4 hours ago, Jim Ed Love said:

They are creatures of opportunity. Bastards eat anything that they can get. National Refuge is ten miles South of me and I'd imagine that is where they are coming from. Have confirmed three different ones here but I think there is four Balds. Showing not much fear out all is what makes me think refuge raised because they interact closely with their hatch by providing sippy cups and diddies.

Trapped and moved a pair of my bear fighters/ cat LGD's Saturday instead of watching the Horn ass kicking. Sunday they got one of the bastards down and mauled the living piss out of it afore it could take wing. Lot of feathers and blood splash and left out wobbly as hell. Don't know about that bird and don't give one damn. Between Mexican Blackhead Vultures (Coragyps atratus), American Bald Eagle, and Golden Eagle the fukers have cost me around $160,000, an arrest and defense, and a character assassination. I have no fuks left to give.

Barns, you say? What is this type of building in which you speak? I'm range sheep and have 800 ewes.

Have you tried this? Scarecrows made from 2 x 4-inch (5 x 10-cm) lumber and chicken wire (Fig. 4) and dressed in pants or skirts, shirts, and hats, may keep eagles away from an area for up to 3 weeks. The chicken wire bodies allow the arms to wave in the wind. Maybe pee on them to get your human scent in the wind. Hopefully, these eagles are afraid of people like normal. And now your big dogs too! 

6 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Lipomas are common at that age and rarely cancerous, and you can get a biopsy with removal.  But yes, totally understand the worry. We were set to take our dog in to have her two lipomas removed a month ago when, before the procedure, tests led to an inoperable (and totally unrelated) hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. We put her down three days later. F cancer. 

I wouldn't worry otherwise, but some of them press on her lungs.  Probably why she snores so loud.

3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Have you tried this? Scarecrows made from 2 x 4-inch (5 x 10-cm) lumber and chicken wire (Fig. 4) and dressed in pants or skirts, shirts, and hats, may keep eagles away from an area for up to 3 weeks. The chicken wire bodies allow the arms to wave in the wind. Maybe pee on them to get your human scent in the wind. Hopefully, these eagles are afraid of people like normal. And now your big dogs too!

They just sit in the trees and laff at the scarecrows. Scarecrows rate of success on predatory avians  ain't all that good, but it is a standard suggestion by A.P.H.I.S. and Fish and Game. Easy way out for them and they don't have to leave the office where the hot coffee and tetris game is.  Every U.S.D.A. research station in the Southwest will tell you that the scarecrows are not effective.

i know several folks have done the ACL repair, but my understanding is that many breeds then go on to rip their other acl because the dogs dont put even pressure on the leg that still hurts a little, which then puts additional pressure on the opposite side as they favor the healing leg.    

with labs its almost guaranteed, if they blow an acl you are gonna replace 2 within a year. 

and once they hit 10 that anesthesia can be worse and worse on them. 

I might honestly consider not repairing it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

and once they hit 10 that anesthesia can be worse and worse on them. 

I might honestly consider not repairing it. 

This right here^^         Older dogs just don't do well with going under.    Me being me and doing all my own doctoring I'd try DMSO and Banamine, along with Dex if there is swelling and tenderness. Vet wrap with liniment and try to let him rest. If no response, then maybe the knife. Glucosamine additives help on older dogs also but a lot of that depends on the kind of groceries the dog is consuming.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

hey, looking for advice from anyone with experience on ACL injuries in their dogs… vet says he has a torn ACL. he’s 10 years old, 30 lbs, super fit and very active until the injury. probably having it fixed but not doing anything is an option, especially at his age. of the surgery options from vet I think I would go with TTA, tibial tuberosity advancement or something. if your dog has had an ACL repair do you know what was done? and how did they function afterwards? or if they didn’t have surgery what did that look like after a year or so?

I always worked hard to keep him fit and healthy and for the most part he’s been that way. turned 10 years old running circles around dogs a third his age. pretty concerned about what his remaining years are going to be like with the injury. 

61887581-2068-40DC-A62A-3969951806F9.png

What you should probablly do is give that doggy dogs to Bailey.  And then they will be happy. 

The end.

12 hours ago, futureman said:

hey, looking for advice from anyone with experience on ACL injuries in their dogs… vet says he has a torn ACL. he’s 10 years old, 30 lbs, super fit and very active until the injury. probably having it fixed but not doing anything is an option, especially at his age. of the surgery options from vet I think I would go with TTA, tibial tuberosity advancement or something. if your dog has had an ACL repair do you know what was done? and how did they function afterwards? or if they didn’t have surgery what did that look like after a year or so?

I always worked hard to keep him fit and healthy and for the most part he’s been that way. turned 10 years old running circles around dogs a third his age. pretty concerned about what his remaining years are going to be like with the injury. 

61887581-2068-40DC-A62A-3969951806F9.png

The company I work for does this and has had great success.

https://www.arthrexvetsystemsblog.com/

Specific story of a 10 year old Springer Spaniel

https://www.arthrexvetsystemsblog.com/2021/09/07/arthrex-vet-systems-innovation-helps-english-springer-spaniel-find-playful-stride-again/

Definitely tougher with older dogs.

Edited by Ogie Ogilthorpe
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

The stray turned out to be pretty handsome. Does he partake in the eating of plants or just the fighting? He looks tons smarter. 

Not much plant eating, but his neuroses about strangers has not gotten any better despite months of instruction/training. We're gonna leave him with some people on the island when we start traveling this week, he is a terrible car/travel dog.

Speaking of knees.  Eli hurt his right rear knee this past weekend.  It was so bad on Tuesday that he wouldn't walk.  I flew back home a day early on Wednesday.  He's improved each day since so I don't think he blew his knee out.  He's at the vet today for grooming and they're going to give him a mild sedative so they can do a more thorough exam and take x-rays.  Eli loves everyone he meets with one exception.  He hates vets.  Thus the mild sedative today.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 3

Damn that Google Photo today of ALL DAYS it pops up a featured gallery of Dax.

Well I had to pick a few choice out for him

This was his goofy ass before once of his haircuts. I swear the guy is the spitting image of an Ewok with his hair long.

3uX5Q9hRWJs5CmC-7zUFznGu2k9zjRxr98ZlFWlp

Here was him and Flash on a hike, that's the top of Mt Ascutney in Vermont.

uEaAiMTlJ3xAh-MgKmFAM_6rX6VT7vCwhedem8rZ

Dax's cousin Oscar (BIL's dog) was a real twerp, I have endless photos of them tussling

OZKVpYtlgzDhuAg3ILxZw82OFOPtlUIkXVxqLeM1

Dax never took crap

uxdhgxE_j8mzrOPle2TY8O0mGe2-fGIycZcrkJoL

aV9H7WUMEWMuCTzuZELUD0tWwd39E7NDKWX7Yqxp

Believe it or not he took down Flash once, despite the weight difference. Dax was a lover night a fighter. But he was a fighter too, so don't mess with him.

Like many dogs he started to find his attention wain when our little one came along (Titus), but he would squeeze in the shots

w6EHPK6iwvo_tPaNntcQizHP4BvU4IHAYvJ2VAnW

Or Titus would squeez him in

0vy75-1vfsYBnaCq37XgKFcHoCxWtLGESa9sj9Ym

You could say they were twin spirits

ROS9GF0EgHs0gE59Wf4fZM457YzlkxKo_pM8R8yv

Damn I'm gonna miss him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Yep. Been a fun ass time so far. Got a total of 17 days here. Cold as fuck but I saw some moose and 2 wolves supposedly last night. Looked like really big coyotes but never seen anything like this place so who knows. 

Edited by Zepol87
Responding to Biff
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Zepol87 said:

Didn't mean whining like a child or anything that's just what it sounds like imo.

I enjoy it. It's better than listening to my basset mix bark. Bitch just likes the sound of her own voice. Nobody else does. When the husky actually barks, it's time to get serious and get armed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep the family has always had huskies and they told me not to let it outside unless I'm watching and outside also to grab it incase it starts barking at something and bring it in right awaym evidently a neighbor has some other husky that doesn't get along well and with the snow they can get over the fence eat on the corner or something idk but I don't to see that shit and don't want to be outside. Way too cold for that shit. 

On 11/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, Deej said:

Blue is as friendly and as sweet as can be, unless another dog other than Penny even looks at her food. Then she turns into this...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWge5oiIciE/?utm_medium=copy_link

Luna was pretty bad about resource guarding the first year I had her. She eventually realized that food will never be a problem with me. 

Only other thing she gets nasty over is if a male tries to hump her. This young golden at yard bar wouldn't leave her be. First she barked him away, then snapped, and on his third attempt she became a raging hell hound. I swear all of her fur stuck out like a porcupine and her face became nothing but fangs.

She drove him into a fence where she pinned him and barked in his face until he pissed himself. 

When she was done you could hear a pin drop. Every human and dog was frozen still, not making a peep. 

Edited by MissingInAction