Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Old fart literally had the shit scare out of him right in the middle of my bedroom floor. Then he jumped up in bed with me and woke me up just standing on me shivering. Finally laid down. Puppy(when are they no longer puppies? He’s 6 months) didn’t even pay attention to the noise. 68ff14386db29684e5a77a49b356b71f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

New dog in Casa de Hulla. Adopted from local shelter. Undergoing heartworm treatment and weighed only 43 lbs 2 weeks ago at the shelter. Now up to 50 lbs. Chill AF. Est at 4 yrs old. Knows sit, down, stay and knows that when the pickup beeps, you go sit by the door of the truck.

I'm really worried about her hips. Have appt with our vet on Monday but if we can give her a few good years, all will be cool. We used to have a GSD that was a trained hearing assist dog so my wife has wanted another for years.

Meet Fräulein Matilda, aka Tillie.

135c79215a3b992d7aa37e1040b0cc34.jpg083ac491f59aafa108bc2123f9d44c6b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's awesome Hulla.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

New dog in Casa de Hulla. Adopted from local shelter. Undergoing heartworm treatment and weighed only 43 lbs 2 weeks ago at the shelter. Now up to 50 lbs. Chill AF. Est at 4 yrs old. Knows sit, down, stay and knows that when the pickup beeps, you go sit by the door of the truck.

I'm really worried about her hips. Have appt with our vet on Monday but if we can give her a few good years, all will be cool. We used to have a GSD that was a trained hearing assist dog so my wife has wanted another for years.

Shepherds are such great loyal dogs.  

• Hook 'Em 3

We have to take her back to the shelter for another heartworm treatment and we have her on crate rest and daily meds for 60 more days.  She was really in poor health but in 3 days, she has really rebounded.  Very alert and she and the other dog are tolerating each other at this point.    She loads up and sleeps in her crate with no problem.  

• Hook 'Em 1

After we got Sebastian from the SPCA I sent some of his slobber to Embark for DNA analysis.  From looking at him I thought he was probably a Husky/Shepherd mix.  They tell me he's:

Siberian Husky 50%

American Pit Bull Terrier 22.9%

Rat Terrier 8.1%

German Shepherd 7.8 %

Unidentified Mutt 11.2% - likely some mix of Australian Shepherd, Australian Cattle Dog, and Golden Retriever

I'm not sure how I feel about him being 1/4 Pit Bull, but he's part of the family now.  They also predicted his final weight at 64 lbs.  They had a number of dogs in their system they identified as close relatives (15%, about like a 1st cousin) all purebred Huskies scattered around the world.  They said he had no markers for the genetic 199 genetic problems they test for.  

Sebastian.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, hullabelew said:

We adopted for the first time a couple of years ago. Their guess was a pit bull/ catahoula cross.  If he’s outside and my pickup is running, he will sit by the rear door and Will. Not. Leave. 
Must be afraid he’ll miss out on some wild adventure, like going to the grocery store. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

We adopted for the first time a couple of years ago. Their guess was a pit bull/ catahoula cross.  If he’s outside and my pickup is running, he will sit by the rear door and Will. Not. Leave. 
Must be afraid he’ll miss out on some wild adventure, like going to the grocery store. 

We had a Catahoula/blue heeler cross that was the best cattle dog we ever had.   Also a kelpie/heeler mix named Rehab who was a fantastic all around ranch dog.   He would have made Hank The Cow Dog proud.   I LOVE mixed dogs.  Somehow, they seem to get the best temperaments and traits of each breed.  About half of our full blooded dogs (aussies and border collies come to mind) were just OK while the mixed breeds were almost always great.  The only full blood breeds that were consistently great were the blue or red heelers.  

On 1/7/2022 at 8:27 AM, hullabelew said:

The only full blood breeds that were consistently great were the blue or red heelers. 

This. Amazing dogs. A dog's dog. 

I won't own anything that isn't at least half heeler. Loyal to a fault and clever as fuck. Never needy.

My current two are basset/heeler and husky/heeler.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Betty is up for adoption. Judging by her paws I don't think she will get too big. She is pure beetus, and looking for a home

Screenshot_20220108-112042_Chrome.jpg

showed this to the wife and kids. Looks exactly like our Luna at that age. 

They want to go adopt her.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/1/2022 at 4:50 PM, Nuge said:

Took Willow out to Mt Hood for a snowshoeing adventure. She loved every second. Just zooming around and blasting into snow drifts.15152626a02f9eb57f2cc47c175675f7.jpg

Willow is a damn fine looking dog. 

Maui trying to wake me up a few days ago:

42D42630-4C6B-4FC8-B0EA-F47F96FD4750.thumb.jpeg.f8e12b872626786f655ffaeb981287d2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, Stung said:

I had to put down my 12 year old Westie yesterday. One of the hardest things I've had to do. We have 2 small children and he'd nipped at each one of the kids and bitten me several times from accidentally waking him up. We discussed putting him down or re-homing him, but the vet talked us out of it several years ago when he first showed signs of aggression. Re-homing aggressive dogs is difficult, so we decided to be careful not to let the kids play with him,  and try to make it work. He never had another incident with the kids, but over the last 3 weeks he bit my wife's foot, and my hand bad enough to draw blood, both times unprovoked. Two nights ago he was laying in the recliner next to the recliner I was sitting in and when I got up the remote fell in front of his chair. As I bent to pick it up he bit my face. More precisely just above my left eye. Luckily I shut my eye in time and it only put a small cut on my eyelid and caused some bruising. Very scary and I knew that was it. He had to be put down. So sad. 

After reading that paragraph it sounds like a no brainer. Which is what my wife and I keep telling ourselves. What makes it so hard is he physically had another year or two in him. He still had good vision, hearing, could easily jump up on the furniture, still occasionally chased rabbits and birds and ran with ease. The vet thought he may have developed a tumor and that was causing discomfort, which caused the aggressive behavior. He said they could put him through all the tests and MRI's to see, but a dog his age wouldn't gain much in terms of comfort and prolonging his life for what it would all cost. (He told us this before he bit my face). After the last bite, we knew it was time and what we had to do. I partially blame myself for getting my face within striking distance and keep running the last 2 days through my mind. So painful. He gave us 10 great years and 2 years of gradually getting more and more aggressive. I dreaded having to put him down on bad terms once he started biting. I'm just glad he bit me and not one of my kids and that my eye injury wasn't serious.  RIP Ferris. Your infectious energy and playfulness will be sorely missed. 

You are a terrible person.

• Fuck You 2