Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

It's hard watching your dog slow down. 

On Sunday night at the park, I threw the ball and after turning to give chase, my 8 year old golden immediately froze and then did a couple of half spins reaching for his rear end, appearing to be disoriented / in distress.  It was something I'd never seen him do and it felt like something was off.  He seemed to be okay after that as he trotted around the park a little bit more before we made the ~300 yard walk home.  Yesterday morning, he woke me with a yelp from his bed.  It was clearly out of pain and afterwards he came to the side of my bed cowering like he typically only does for thunder or fireworks.  After some pets he seemed to be okay and we went about our morning routine which includes a quick walk to the park.  As soon as we got there he laid down and would not get up.  I sat with him for twenty minutes and finally was able to get him up to walk back home.  Immediately got him in at the vet and after X-rays / physical exam / $500 later, they told me all they can figure is he pinched a nerve and sent me home with pain/anti-inflammatory meds. Since getting him back home yesterday around noon, he hasn't gotten up from his bed (almost 24 straight hours now).  I've brought him dinner & breakfast and he's eating perfectly fine and seems to have his normal demeanor but I cannot coax him to get up.  

Part of me feels guilty as the vet told me he had put on about 5 pounds since our last visit in September.  He's already a big boy (~90 lbs) so I've had him on a diet food and preventatively had him on Cosequin for his hips/joints for a couple years now.  Other than the occasional ear infection, he's been a super healthy dog up to this point.  

Has anybody ran into a similar issue or have any tips?

Here's Cooper:

0?ui=2&ik=5fbe08f56c&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1721670392861374852&th=17e49a19bacf3984&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8X8U7vKBw4NWcTc5T4kCot7Et-EG2ItVgLg_Sdx3zUHVrXcAY90a58vZcNALGmdOKGHCpCrH5XUjp-1Cj82DYkTgCfU79r66pHIDmnArYxRXhy3UqjORzzNZY&disp=emb

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If he was reaching for his rear end, you may want to see if he has an internal rupture of one of his anal glands. I had a dog who never showed any signs of impacted anal glands until one ruptured. It would be uncomfortable enough to make him not want to move 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

On Sunday night at the park, I threw the ball and after turning to give chase, my 8 year old golden immediately froze and then did a couple of half spins reaching for his rear end, appearing to be disoriented / in distress.  It was something I'd never seen him do and it felt like something was off.  He seemed to be okay after that as he trotted around the park a little bit more before we made the ~300 yard walk home.  Yesterday morning, he woke me with a yelp from his bed.  It was clearly out of pain and afterwards he came to the side of my bed cowering like he typically only does for thunder or fireworks.  After some pets he seemed to be okay and we went about our morning routine which includes a quick walk to the park.  As soon as we got there he laid down and would not get up.  I sat with him for twenty minutes and finally was able to get him up to walk back home.  Immediately got him in at the vet and after X-rays / physical exam / $500 later, they told me all they can figure is he pinched a nerve and sent me home with pain/anti-inflammatory meds. Since getting him back home yesterday around noon, he hasn't gotten up from his bed (almost 24 straight hours now).  I've brought him dinner & breakfast and he's eating perfectly fine and seems to have his normal demeanor but I cannot coax him to get up.  

Part of me feels guilty as the vet told me he had put on about 5 pounds since our last visit in September.  He's already a big boy (~90 lbs) so I've had him on a diet food and preventatively had him on Cosequin for his hips/joints for a couple years now.  Other than the occasional ear infection, he's been a super healthy dog up to this point.  Has anybody ran into a similar issue or have any tips?

my then 8 year old Lab had a similar issue the spring of her 8th year.  She always loved jumping on the bed or couch, she was FAST, hauled ass around the backyard, squirrels knew that was her yard and avoided it.

I let her out one day and watched her run around, then she yelped suddenly and immediately stopped running, with a clear hitch in her back right leg.   Vet visit, nothing broken, but clear signs of stiffness and arthritis

vet prescribed 1,000mg of glucosamine, and 10,000 mg of fish oil daily.   Its been 3.5 years since then, she gets those supplements every day, and while she no longer limps, she still favors her back end.  She no longer runs or jumps,   but then again, shes 12 now

• Hook 'Em 1

My two labs have been on fish oil and glucosamine since they were maybe 3 or 4, one was diagnosed with patellar luxation pretty early on in life (vet says If owners of parents had come in for a breeding consultation they would have advised against it). It has seemed to work well over the years (we also did a good job of keeping their weight down, unlike ourselves), but one is on a full time anti-inflammatory at this point (they just turned 13)

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Part of me feels guilty as the vet told me he had put on about 5 pounds since our last visit in September.  He's already a big boy (~90 lbs) so I've had him on a diet food and preventatively had him on Cosequin for his hips/joints for a couple years now.  Other than the occasional ear infection, he's been a super healthy dog up to this point.  

Has anybody ran into a similar issue or have any tips?

Here's Cooper:

0?ui=2&ik=5fbe08f56c&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1721670392861374852&th=17e49a19bacf3984&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8X8U7vKBw4NWcTc5T4kCot7Et-EG2ItVgLg_Sdx3zUHVrXcAY90a58vZcNALGmdOKGHCpCrH5XUjp-1Cj82DYkTgCfU79r66pHIDmnArYxRXhy3UqjORzzNZY&disp=emb

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

my then 8 year old Lab had a similar issue the spring of her 8th year.  She always loved jumping on the bed or couch, she was FAST, hauled ass around the backyard, squirrels knew that was her yard and avoided it.

I let her out one day and watched her run around, then she yelped suddenly and immediately stopped running, with a clear hitch in her back right leg.   Vet visit, nothing broken, but clear signs of stiffness and arthritis

vet prescribed 1,000mg of glucosamine, and 10,000 mg of fish oil daily.   Its been 3.5 years since then, she gets those supplements every day, and while she no longer limps, she still favors her back end.  She no longer runs or jumps,   but then again, shes 12 now

Our yellow lab has really bad arthritis to the point she has to be on Rimadyl and Gabapentin for it. That shit is super expensive but it helps with the pain. They basically told us that because of how badly her bones have splintered off that her front legs are shorter than they should be and all we can do is manage pain. She’s only 6 or 7. Sucks but nothing to do but try to keep her comfy, keep her downstairs, and hope she doesn’t wrestle the other dogs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the responses @Deej @AUS-97HORN @ohchaucer @OrangEngr @hobbes2702.  I have some research to do on supplements but may follow up with questions. 

Coop finally got up on his own yesterday afternoon to go potty and then again later wondered into kitchen to beg for dinner (he doesn't miss a meal).  Still very slow moving but seeing progress and he doesn't seem to be quite as uncomfortable.  When he's closer to 100% I will be spoiling him with ample swim time-  there's nothing that he loves more and we probably need to drop some pounds.

Here's to our old and wise, but happy and spry pups 🤘  

0?ui=2&ik=5fbe08f56c&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1721768901651837930&th=17e4f3b19845b3ea&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-cJFVOOxo2xwQh51veADMq6FiZgeHHikSjvHLVEYweKJd4GUT7TGogQD-Si9SKA59aqInFN8rv7NbeMbfYIH6va3CJLj100IjX199m8fWWB9fieOIYIANc3-k&disp=emb

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We just started the fish oil and glucosamine for this super good boy (about to turn 10)c656474eb4f98333529912096c3367ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss my chocolate. Born 5/14/98. Lived to be 13. I trained him myself in an AKC club. He got his HRCH (hunting retriever champion) and was just all balls to the wall when I got the kennel out go train.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 7:41 PM, Bravo said:

20211227_190754.jpg.61d522527fdc080e12edb361db98a9e9.thumb.jpg.ceb9ef606931371a4cf7bdd75cfb4fdc.jpg

20211227_233312.thumb.jpg.2e150dd9f5c52b7960d0435b2d3f805a.jpg

20220114_211049.thumb.jpg.0b892397900469844b130b03499ae1a6.jpg

I introduce you to Luna. She has already stole our hearts. 12 week old Golden Retriever. I had one as a boy and it was such an awesome dog. Potty training is fun... Haven't owned a pup in 20 yrs. It's been rescues only. Kids needed a puppy for once. 

Welcome Luna. Beetus engaged. 

Goldens rule

51822519230_68c2b52685_b.jpg

Goose hit 5 months and is nearly as tall as Maddox and just as derpy. 

51824739746_eb07974c3f_b.jpg

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

our beloved Bailey died abruptly today. she suddenly became sick at 3:30 am, and coincidentally died at 3:30 pm in our living room, surrounded by myself, my mom (Bailey's owner), and my dad, as well as our other boy Chief. this happening out of nowhere like this has been very tough, but we got to spend 13.5 years with the absolute best dog on the planet. love you Bailey.

B1CEDDD6-516E-4DA5-B4EE-2D40067CBBEA.jpeg

B1EF68E8-344E-4D3B-BCA4-11D1D7A3A5C6.jpeg

F6A8372D-64A1-4BC1-975D-97BFC9F830C4.jpeg

88E9ECB6-6802-4F93-95F0-69DED51BEE27.jpeg

7619BD0E-1134-4DA1-84D2-B55B403BF4E9.jpeg

BE98A1F5-6733-4384-A9BF-9C616A67C274.jpeg

Good dog, Bailey.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

our beloved Bailey died abruptly today. she suddenly became sick at 3:30 am, and coincidentally died at 3:30 pm in our living room, surrounded by myself, my mom (Bailey's owner), and my dad, as well as our other boy Chief. this happening out of nowhere like this has been very tough, but we got to spend 13.5 years with the absolute best dog on the planet. love you Bailey.

B1CEDDD6-516E-4DA5-B4EE-2D40067CBBEA.jpeg

B1EF68E8-344E-4D3B-BCA4-11D1D7A3A5C6.jpeg

F6A8372D-64A1-4BC1-975D-97BFC9F830C4.jpeg

88E9ECB6-6802-4F93-95F0-69DED51BEE27.jpeg

7619BD0E-1134-4DA1-84D2-B55B403BF4E9.jpeg

BE98A1F5-6733-4384-A9BF-9C616A67C274.jpeg

I’m sorry, derka. 

• Hook 'Em 1