Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

My dude, Brutus, has a cancerous tumor on his hip. My vet can't remove it due to something about it being in the blood vessel walls and recommended seeing an veterinary oncologist. My question is, what should I expect from chemo treatment? Health wise he's a hyper, healthy 9 year old boxer. Thanks in advance.

Just now, butthurt said:

My dude, Brutus, has a cancerous tumor on his hip. My vet can't remove it due to something about it being in the blood vessel walls and recommended seeing an veterinary oncologist. My question is, what should I expect from chemo treatment? Health wise he's a hyper, healthy 9 year old boxer. Thanks in advance.

My experience is chemo buys you six months. Damn, so sorry. 

On 9/8/2018 at 12:42 PM, Burt said:

Almost 14 years ago to the day we brought Candy home under the guise that she'd be a birthday present for both my wife and son. Within a week she had adopted me, though, following me everywhere I went. She was a very smart dog who learned very quickly that she could milk me for treats by doing all the tricks I'd taught her.

We lost her earlier this morning. Holly let her out and when she went back to get her she had passed away in the back yard. She had been on heart medication for about a year so we knew the time was coming soon, but it still doesn't make it any easier.  She was my football buddy always lay in my lap while watching Horns....right up until I started yelling.  Then she'd hop off the couch and stand at the edge of the room staring at me like in the upper left of this pic until I calmed down. 

This is the second dog I've had to bury on the morning before a Longhorn game in the past two years.

Gonna miss this girl but she had a hell of a 14 1/2 year run.

Candy.jpg

20180827_163950.jpg

Precious baby girl.  Say hi to Bailey-I know he greeted you when you arrived.

1 hour ago, butthurt said:

Agree with Deej-we were told six months maybe but he might not be able to come home because of the stress on him from the treatment.  Just hard to know when dealing with an older dog whether the high expense of these treatments is going to give them a quality of life that is worth it.  The toughest choice I have had to make three times now is to choose to say goodbye.  Good luck on whatever the outcome for Brutus is.

• Like 1

Not sure if already posted.  Sad but indicative of how loyal dogs are.   Guy was shot off Parmer a couple days ago. 

A large white dog lingered next to Hardesty’s body for over an hour after he was shot, and police have since confirmed that the dog belonged to Hardesty.

On Wednesday afternoon, Austin Animal Services was caring for the dog, and police hadn’t yet allowed the animal center to release the dog to family.

Witnesses saw Hardesty’s dog lying down next to him after he was shot. Detectives at the scene scratched the dog behind its ears as they gathered evidence.

“The dog was laying there with his master,” Calloway said.

Mark Sloat, a program manager for Austin Animal Services, said it’s not uncommon for dogs to stick with their owners after they die.

“There’s quite often times when we go in with EMS to remove pets from homes where somebody has passed away, and the dogs don’t want to leave the decedent,” Sloat said. “It’s kind of sad, but they’re loyal to the end.”

nrw%20parmer%20murder%202_20180911193813

• Like 1

Had to take my Dog (Kat is her name) to the vet today. She’s 13 and having liver problems. Also she has to have a tooth pulled. What freaked me out was that a biker dude came in sobbing right after me saying his dog needed to be put down. It was in a laundry basket covered but now I think that was a sign my dogs going to die. 

• Like 1

Sorry, Bogey. It's a tough time.

Spent the day at A&M with Blue. The want to wait until she's about 8 months old to do her surgery, since she is doing so well on the meds. Said that at her age, once they insert the coils into the vein and the liver starts getting blood flow, they can have a big growth spurt, and the vein gets larger and may require a second surgery to insert more. Her prognosis is pretty positive, though.

• Like 1

We had to put down Jack. He was old, hips were bad due to living on three legs his whole life, deaf, starting to get senile.

My youngest daughter has been sleeping with an old picture we had of him as a puppy. Jack didn't like strangers, but once he got to know you he was the sweetest dog you ever met.

Note: I named him Jack The Tripper when we got him as a puppy because he was so clumsy on his three legs.

tldr: Jack was a good dog.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

We had to put down Jack. He was old, hips were bad due to living on three legs his whole life, deaf, starting to get senile.

My youngest daughter has been sleeping with an old picture we had of him as a puppy. Jack didn't like strangers, but once he got to know you he was the sweetest dog you ever met.

Note: I named him Jack The Tripper when we got him as a puppy because he was so clumsy on his three legs.

tldr: Jack was a good dog.

Family is already talking about a new dog. Fuck me.

42528190_493816094426059_290689326103553

Screenshot_2018-09-21-19-50-09.png

Unfortunately I have to put my Sully down on Wednesday just shy of 8 years by several months which is far too early in my opinion. He developed liver cirrhosis and has ceased eating entirely and his entire demeanor changed, he was always my shadow now he's reclusive and looking into his eyes is painful. I spent several thousand dollars trying to delay the inevitable the last year, but unfortunately his time has come and I'll have so many fond memories of him. In the final pic when he was a shell of himself and a skeleton he still managed to catch a rather large groundhog and shake it around like a rag doll.

Edited by Chad
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, butthurt said:

I meet with the oncologist today and the prognosis was radiation treatment and surgery. My options are treatment at college station or baton rouge. My question is, is there any other other place in Houston besides oncology of the Gulf coast to do it. PS I live in Port Arthur. Thanks in advance.

On 9/19/2018 at 7:55 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Family is already talking about a new dog. Fuck me.

Got a new puppy (~3 months old) from the shelter that looks exactly like Jack did when he was a puppy. Youngest wanted to name him Jack, so...

Jack is dead. Long live Jack.

I know this thread is about the pics, so sorry for that.

• Like 1

Got a new puppy (~3 months old) from the shelter that looks exactly like Jack did when he was a puppy. Youngest wanted to name him Jack, so...

You should call him OJ. Other Jack.

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
40 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Read more  

You should call him OJ. Other Jack.

And buy him a white Bronco.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, NorthLoop said:

I'm sure some of the world's toughest men have broken down and cried at a vet's office. 

Adopted a Catahoula mix from a rescue place 9 months ago when he was 10 weeks old, named him Dozer because he ran over everything. 9 months that dog was tied to my hip because he was destructive  (70 pounds at 10 months old) and would damn near kill my wife's Australian Shephard just trying to play but I loved that dog.  Lost him yesterday to I believe twisted stomach with no warning, he had thrown up in his crate overnight and couldn't shit when I took him outside at 5:30. I made a vet appointment for 11 am and cleaned his crate because he wanted back in, he was dead by 10am. I'm 55 years old and known as a hardass but I cried like a little baby burying Dozer. Damn it sucks.

You, Me, & Dupree-

Dupree was our French Bulldog of 12 years and 3 months...Early this morning he crossed the rainbow bridge to spend his eternity in Heaven. The thought of not having him around leaves a void in our hearts. I love him and he loves me & I am good with that. The memories we made will never be replaced and until we meet again manman. Thanks for letting me grieve...Lastly, last thing he told me is ousux & Let's Go Stros! RIP Dupree.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, NorthLoop said:

Sorry to hear man. 

Not to make you dwell any more, but is it possible he was poisoned? 

He stayed tied to a long lead when in the yard, I live in the country and have no fence, I just don't see how he could have been poisoned. I don't know but damn it hurts.

Chuy has a perch, for the longest time I'd go outside and not see her. I'd call her name and eventually she'd come crashing through the front door. Never knew where she was hiding. Now I know, she sits up there, can see the entire alley, whenever human and dog walk by, shes down the stairs in seconds, barking up and down the fence. Then back to her perch. Lol, I would go outside and call her name, I couldn't figure out where the fuck she was. She's up top, behind the tree.
5edf03245a9bfd11779b1658c1da1281.jpg21685d81b6ff1269105cd6427227ff6a.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, hookem48 said:

Adopted a Catahoula mix from a rescue place 9 months ago when he was 10 weeks old, named him Dozer because he ran over everything. 9 months that dog was tied to my hip because he was destructive  (70 pounds at 10 months old) and would damn near kill my wife's Australian Shephard just trying to play but I loved that dog.  Lost him yesterday to I believe twisted stomach with no warning, he had thrown up in his crate overnight and couldn't shit when I took him outside at 5:30. I made a vet appointment for 11 am and cleaned his crate because he wanted back in, he was dead by 10am. I'm 55 years old and known as a hardass but I cried like a little baby burying Dozer. Damn it sucks.

Thank you Horns for beating OU , damn I needed that.

Gotdamn I miss my dogs. I've been working in the bay area since May and I've only seen them in person three times since then. My old coonhound Rocco has kind of become an asshole to the two young mastiffs, even though they could kill him in a second. I hate to say it, but they need their alpha back.