Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Can you guess what my dogs would do if you hid some food among a bunch of felt?  Maybe if it was ballistic nylon. 

Yep, same here. Sucre would tear that shit up and be crapping felt for a week. Just keep em busy. Pups should never be put on ignore mode. 

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

She’s home.  She looks a lot different than that pic (much cuter in my opinion).

8159B25A-A01A-4DA8-8732-439DB7FAD6C3.jpeg

Lotta heeler in that one. I hope your kids are ready to have the back of their ankles bitten. 

(Heelers, or anything mixed with them, are the best.)

Edited by Deej

Late night push on a project. And here is where Sucre wants to lie. I am blessed with this little dude. As soon as I took this cute picture he started licking his balls. Guess I timed it right. 

IMG_2431.heic

Yo. Pic won't upload. If any thread should be free it should be this one considering our overlord is @blacklab

Edited by InkaUtexas

9 hours ago, Deej said:

"I'm going to kill that fucking bird."

20210523_195923.jpg

My little Jack Russell/ wire haired terrier mix is an assassin of avian intruders of our yard.  She gets 3-4 per year, that we know of.

It's funny as hell when she comes back in with feathers on her mouth.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, slorch said:

My little Jack Russell/ wire haired terrier mix is an assassin of avian intruders of our yard.  She gets 3-4 per year, that we know of.

One of our 2 cats kill 2-3 birds per week.  It’s actually pretty sad.  She’s a straight up murderer.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

One of our 2 cats kill 2-3 birds per week.  It’s actually pretty sad.  She’s a straight up murderer.

Don't dress Maya up in a bird costume until she gets a little bigger.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

That's what my dog is, and he's come damn close. We just moved into a new house with more trees and a neighbor who has like 12 bird feeders so they're everywhere. It's only a matter of time. 

Edited by NorthLoop

21 hours ago, Deej said:

Lotta heeler in that one. I hope your kids are ready to have the back of their ankles bitten. 

(Heelers, or anything mixed with them, are the best.)

Yep, in looking at pics of puppy Blue Heelers (Aussie Cattle Dog), she's spot on.  I think that's what she is, if not a mix.

26 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yep, in looking at pics of puppy Blue Heelers (Aussie Cattle Dog), she's spot on.  I think that's what she is, if not a mix.

They are smart as a whip, so start training her right away with the basic commands. They can be a bit stubborn sometimes, but that's necessary when your job is to push stubborn cattle. The urge to herd and nip will be strong. Discourage the nipping. The herding will always be there and it's fun to watch them try to herd anything and everything, including children. 

Get a good brush. For a short haired dog, they shed a ton. They have a double coat and the undercoat always seems to be molting. Brush regularly. They are pretty much self cleaning otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Any new action pics of Maya? 😁

She's at the vet getting checked out.  My wife is panicking because they took her from her and she's already having separation anxiety.  I could be gone for a week and I'm not sure she'd notice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, Beau Vine said:

Fucking hell, we had to put Zeus down yesterday.  He was a 12-yo Newfie, so we fully realize that we’ve gotten a full life and more out of him, but damn that felt awful.  
One of the reasons I decided to get a Newfie was the famous epitaph that the English poet Lord Byron wrote on the death of his Newfie Botswain:image.thumb.png.99889d2db19fe754efb0a5dac8d623e0.png

I thought that was beautiful when I read it and it is more beautiful today because those words just absolutely perfectly describe Zeus.

Beauty without vanity?  Never seen such a beautiful animal slobber so much...

Strength without insolence?  In his prime, he weighed 150 with amazing strength.  He could have done whatever he wanted in our house, but he only did what he thought we wanted.  

Courage without ferocity?  One trait that I had read about Newfies is that when they sense a threat, they won't bark or growl; they'll just put themselves between the threat and their humans.  He was less than a year old when I first saw him do that, stepping between my daughter and a neighbor's new barking dog and just staring it down.  

Thank you for being in my life for 145 months, buddy.  

17966074_1304166683012099_7850376735399187495_o.thumb.jpg.4bc6f6a5dfb03c4329a3168760678e4e.jpg

30167320_1649100195185411_7699683429685384439_o.jpg

Oh, no!  Godspeed, Zeus.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

Oh, and cattle dogs can tend to bond strongly with one person, and be pretty independent, but fiercely loyal.

Three of my last four have been half cattle dog. They mix well. 

The "shelter" we got her from thinks she's a half-breed, but they don't know.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

tenor.gif.594c6628a37f26792d00c37f707fcdd8.gif

Dead serious. Cats kill billions of birds a year. Keep your cats inside.

That's just nature, brah. Should bears stay away from salmon? Lions stay away from antelope? If birds can't figure out how to use their built-in advantage of flight to keep away from cats then they were too stupid to survive.. see Darwin, Charles

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

That's just nature, brah. Should bears stay away from salmon? Lions stay away from antelope? If birds can't figure out how to use their built-in advantage of flight to keep away from cats then they were too stupid to survive.. see Darwin, Charles

Housecats and feral cats are not part of nature, brah.  They're an invasive species doing tremendous damage to the eco system.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
15 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

tenor.gif.594c6628a37f26792d00c37f707fcdd8.gif

Dead serious. Cats kill billions of birds a year. Keep your cats inside.

My cats would lose their minds if we kept them indoors all the time.  But we have coyotes in our neighborhood, so we limit their outdoor time.

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My cats would lose their minds if we kept them indoors all the time.  But we have coyotes in our neighborhood, so we limit their outdoor time.

If all the cats were kept indoors there would be an overabundance of birds. Everyone's cars would be covered in birdshit, all that incessant chirping...it would just be chaos. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

Lmfao. What a hypocrite!  Lol. 

Killing one specific asshole of a bird that is causing thousands of dollars of damage to my house is slightly different than the mass extermination of entire species just so kitty can go outside.  But you do you.

Edited by Chewbacca