Texas recruiting notes 2019

IT

SPECULATING ON RED-SHIRTS

The new rules allowing players to hit the field in four games and still maintain red-shirt status will be an absolute a mess to keep track of. Sounds like a job for @Jonathan Wells.

That rule also makes it tough to speculate on who will and won't red-shirt, as does the natural course of a season where injuries mount. A source took a stab at it anyway. 'Yes' means a likely red-shirt in his view.

QB: Cam Rising - yes, Casey Thompson -yes

RB: Keaontay Ingram - no

WR: Brennan Eagles - no, Al'vonte Woodard - yes, Josh Moore - yes

TE: Malcolm Epps - yes (has been playing outside receiver in 7 on 7)

OL: Junior Angilua - yes, Rafiti Ghirmai - yes, Reese Moore - yes, Christian Jones - yes

DL: Daniel Carson - yes, Michael Williams - no, Keondre Coburn - no, Moro Ojomo - no

LB: Joseph Ossai - no, Ayodele Adeoye - no, Byron Hobbs - yes

DB: Anthony Cook - no, Jalen Green - no, D'shawn Jamison - no, Caden Sterns - no, BJ Foster - no, DeMarvion Overshown - yes.

P: Ryan Bujcevski - no

K: Cameron Dicker - no (total guess)

The source struggled on a handful of these, especially because of the new rule. He thinks Coburn might be a candidate to red-shirt. Jamison definitely would have red-shirted if he didn't move to slot. Green isn't nearly as close to being as ready as Cook but he's too athletic to keep off the field.

IMPROVEMENT THROUGH S&C

I'm always fascinated by gains made in Strength & Conditioning but it's sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction if going by media guide height/weight listings.

Pictures help. The one of Josh Moore was a fine exhibit of even a hard-gainer immediately taking to McKnight's S&C program. I hear fellow hard-gainer Kobe Boyce is looking different too.

I asked about freshman Daniel Carson who is listed at 300 pounds. I didn't think there was any way that was accurate but heard back, "if it's off it's not by much. He's not carrying much bad weight either." Carson is still rough around the edges from a skill standpoint but is ahead of schedule from a physical standpoint from being an anchor 4i.

I asked about Cade Brewer being 250. "That's close too. He's carrying it a little all over, even some in his stomach." Clearly adding weight has been a priority. If he's a bit soft he'll lose that in the August sun. He's moving good, not great.

Joseph Ossai is listed at 245. I KNOW that can't be right, which is funny because when I asked my source who has gained muscle Ossai was one of the first to be mentioned. Still, Ossai is about 230-235. That's a good weight for a player who is naturally long and lean.

A couple of older players were mentioned, Kris Boyd and Davante Davis. "When the NFL guys are around Kris looks just like them, better than some actually. Same with Davante. He's about 215 right now."

As far as S&C goes, the staff couldn't be happier with the effort they've received. The team sounds like it's in great shape. I told the source they were in good shape last year. "Last year was great because it was such an improvement. They were in good shape but they're in even better shape now. Everything is run tighter and crisper now that they know what's expected of them and they can keep up with the demands."

Buy-in is going splendidly. The team isn't going to be distracted by what's happening on Twitter.

Remember being a high school rising senior? It was your school now. Those friends and teammates who left for college, often leaving behind neglected girlfriends, were now old news. They were still your friends and all, but since they weren't going to be with you on Friday nights the relationship wasn't the same and you had to re-focus on who was still there.

PUTTING THE ELLIOTT SAGA TO BED

The recent Twitter rant from Baltimore Ravens safety, DeShon Elliott, stems from what he felt like was the coaches speaking poorly of him in his absence. He mentioned the staff was full of BS with their message of love.

"When you want to help people you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." 

The first sentence characterizes the staff's actions. They gave the early departures their honest opinion on them not being ready for the NFL. Judging by the players who left early slipping in the draft, they were not alone.

The second sentence characterizes the sleazeball runners who find their way to the players. They tell them how great they are, how bad the staff is, and generally massage the player's confirmation bias. Of course this isn't to help the player, it's to enrich themselves.

We hinted that Texas had a problem with these characters last winter. The best way to police this from happening is to make sure players are aware of the pitfalls from chasing money early and for them to understand these agent wannabes don't have their best interest at heart, but the coaches do.

Scipio nailed it in his post about Elliott being a cautionary tale. Elliott has found himself a good example of what not to do. That written, nobody in the program is talking s*** about him that I know of. They told him he was making a mistake by leaving early. They're just telling players, "give us four years and you'll leave with the most earning potential." One could make the case Elliott should be telling his former teammates the same, especially if he loves them.

Now, we're not going to turn this into a bash Elliott thread. He really isn't a bad dude and people should be thankful for his production last year. Personally I hope he kills it in the NFL and this all becomes water under the bridge.

STATE OF RECRUITING 

The end of Big 12 Media Days signals the nearing of the first day of fall camp on August 3rd. Before camp begins, however, the coaches have one more recruiting function to host. UT will hold its annual mid-summer recruiting classic on Friday, July 27th at DKR. Here are the names we have so far with a little background on each.

Roschon Johnson, QB - Port Neches-Groves (2019) TEXAS: You think RJ will miss his one-year anniversary after committing at last year's Star at Night. Not likely.

Noa Pola Gates, S - Gilbert, AZ (2019): At first, this recruitment seemed a little out of reach. UT is competing with Alabama, Penn State, and the west coast schools. But coach Naivar has been tremendous in building the relationship with the 4-star head-hunter with cover skills. Getting him on campus is big.
Hopefully they pair him with Jake Smith and BJ Foster. Then it gets real. This dude just exudes confidence and we feel there's a chance for a real spark due to program and city fit.

David Gbenda, LB - Katy Cinco Ranch (2019): Texas made Gbenda's recent Top 10 list along Michigan, Notre Dame, and Washington and others. At this point, I think it's a Horns-Aggies battle, but neither are pushing hard for a commitment from the 6-foot-0, 215-pounder. Watch out for TCU here who could have him fall in their lap like offensive lineman Andrew Coker.

Zach Evans, RB - GP North Shore (2020): The top dog in the class of 2020 wolfpack is looking at a return trip to Austin. Evans recently competed at the Prime 21 camp in Arlington, and their wasn't a person in attendance that could stay with him. Evans's swagger is growing as he continues to turn the football field into a mockery, but he's also one of the hardest working players you'll find. NFL mind and NFL grind, imo.

Javonne Shepherd, OT - Houston North Forest (2019) (soft maybe): I've seen multiple reports stating he'll be there and he won't be there. Nobody will really know until that morning, tbh. That's how Shepherd rolls. He looks likely at this point, but that could change.

Jake Smith, WR - Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ) (2019) TEXAS: It's been a while since Smith stepped foot on his future campus but it's all going according to play. Fun fact: This trip was planned well before he committed which is why we knew the USC talk was off. He's eager to get back and start bonding with his future teammates.

Jared Wiley, TE - Temple (2019) TEXAS: The Wildcats' signal-caller who will play tight end in Austin is returning to his future place of residence. The Temple pipeline continues to flow.

Lorando Johnson, DB - Lancaster (2020): At 6-foot-1, Johnson is the latest stud to come out of Chris Gilbert's program. Plus+ level athlete with a little dog to his game. Texas looks nice here early, plus he was at last year's event.

Ty Jordan, RB - West Mesquite (2020): At 5-foot-9, 185, this mighty mite showed nice burst and explosiveness at Prime 21's camp last weekend. He really likes Texas and running back coach Stan Drayton. You want him if he's Evans' backfield mate. Mookie Cooper (St. Louis) is more desirable, to be honest. But 4.35 is 4.35.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR - Rockwall (2020): Since his freshman year he has quietly put up nice numbers at Chris Warren's alma mater. I think he's probably in the 2nd or 3rd tier of in-state receivers for 2020 but he's about as smooth as they come.

Jalen Kimber, CB - Mansfield Timberview (2020): The 6-foot-0 defensive back is a name to remember. They obviously can't wait to put eyes on him at camp.

Myles Price, ATH - The Colony (2020): The multi-purpose Price is set to visit UT next week. At 5-foot-9, he might be a corner or an all-purpose back. He was named the District 14-5A two-way player of the year as a sophomore. TCU is the early front-runner.

Landyn Watson, DE - Hutto (2021): This young buck has strength, quick first step, and might be a future defensive tackle. He's also 15 years old.

Darius Snow, S - Lewisville Hebron (2020) (soft maybe): Texas looks grand here. He's at 218 pounds now and still determined to be a safety at the next level. There was only one Sean Taylor, Darius.

Jaylon Jones, DB - Cibolo Steele (2020): This cat is just nasty. Press, zone, or flipping his hips, he could be the top corner in Texas or one of the best safeties in-state. Just get his signature and figure out the rest when he arrives on the 40 Acres. One college coach told me he might outgrow the corner spot. I'll wait and see.

Bryson Washington, DB - C.E. King (2020): There was talk Washington, who is close with North Shore stud Zach Evans, might end up in Galena Park after moving back to the Lone Star state. It looks he'll return to C.E. King for the next two seasons. He's one of the top defensive backs in the nation (No. 3 in 247) and likes Texas.

Marques Caldwell, DB - Alvin (2019) TEXAS: One of the latest to join the #fUTure19 will be in attendance. Nice.,

This is still an early list. We have a feeling it will grow considerably over the next seven days. It's also important to realize this is a combination of recruiting event and camp, so there will be countless younger players trying to make a name for themselves.

NOTABLE NOTES 

Derrian Brown, RB - Buford (GA) (2019): Anybody who compares Brown to Jamaal Charles never actually watched JC in high school. Despite reports he's visiting Austin next Friday (July 27th), I'm told he likely won't make it due to a team function. That in no way means he won't visit UT at some point in 2018. It's more likely he catches a game at DKR for an official or unofficial with the USC game looking likely.

Makiya Tongue, ATH - University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA) (2019): This recruitment might be the simplest of this cycle; if Georgia doesn't take him Texas is the front-runner. If LSU pushes late, they become the leader. He wants to play wide receiver, but linebacker is likely his future spot in college. But like Tom Herman said during Big 12 Media Days, they allow kids play where they were recruited when they arrive on campus. I'm sure that's part of the allure UT offers. He's still looking at an August decision timeline, but methinks this will drag out throughout the fall.

ONE FINAL THOUGHT

Just because it's the dead period (which ends on Tuesday) for the Texas coaches doesn't mean recruits aren't still recruiting guys.

Perfect example; Westlake Village (CA) 4-star LB and UT pledge, DeGabriel Floyd, is in Austin this weekend to visit his family. Top Horns LB target, Rian Davis (Weikva, FL via Clear Lake, TX) is in Houston visiting family at the same time. That's a recipe for male bonding, Wild Hogs style.

Now, if Davis were to trip 2.5 hours to Austin to hangout with his new buddy Floyd, I wouldn't be shocked. As a matter of fact, I might even expect it.

We know where the Longhorns stand with Davis - Georgia and Texas are his top two - and despite the Bulldogs building an incredible 2019 class, UT is using all its resources to convince the 6-foot-2, 230-pound former H-town native that you really can come back home. Utilizing Floyd, a guy that really bonded with Davis during their Opening Finals, seems inevitable. And remember, Floyd is recruiting for the Horns like a madman. Just like he plays.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Finally Roschon Johnson love. And Kenyatta Watson love too. This should give us a slight bump in the composite. 

I think Roschon actually dropped on ESPN rankings he was hovering around 60 i believe.  Not sure about Watson

3 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

Let me clear this up because I see this as being a point of confusion here.
The staff is recruiting and keeping in contact with Marcel Brooks. They aren't pushing hard but keeping in his ear and on his mind. Why do you think he was at one point scheduled to make an UOV to Texas out of the blue if Texas wasn't recruiting him at all?

edit: Texas needs LBs and he's the best LB in the state right now regardless of off-field stuff.

3 hours ago, Scholz said:

Maybe a backup plan at OLB if Makiya Tongue falls through?  I don't see anyone else being recruited there (Rian Davis seems gone).  

At ILB, I see S.Cooper, L.Henry, D.Gbenda and D.Heimuli being recruited still.

3 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Different situations the depth and the need for olb is much greater and that could be why we would still pursue Brooks and not carter 

Holy fuck. Texas is not recruiting Brooks. I don’t give one fuck what the recruit or his handlers are saying. If people paid to do this can’t do anything better than just serve as a fucking mouthpiece for street agents, they should commit seppuku in shame or at least die of gonorrhea and burn in hell. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Holy fuck. Texas is not recruiting Brooks. I don’t give one fuck what the recruit or his handlers are saying. If people paid to do this can’t do anything better than just serve as a fucking mouthpiece for street agents, they should commit seppuku in shame or at least die of gonorrhea and burn in hell. 

So, how's Europe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No need to sugarcoat it.  Just tell us how you really feel.

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I like the cut of your vibe

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

e14fa824-994d-4364-b954-87d3a620bcc7_tex

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which DL targets can Texas close with?

How do we finish up on the defensive line? That’s a tougher question than the receiver class. There are big fish still out there, and I feel a kid from OOS could come out of nowhere this season or another Moro Ojomo. — UTwildcatter34

EJ: Yeah, this one is difficult to answer because there are a lot of moving parts and more offers should be extended in the fall. Texas is still in the mix for guys like Jermaine Johnson, Marcus Stripling, Ishmael Sopsher and Faatui Tuitele, but I don’t think they’ll land any of them at this point. I do feel like Texas leads for Taurean Carter, and I just put in a Crystal Ball pick for JUCO product Jacoby Jones, who will make an official visit in the fall. Of course, DeMarvin Leal is still a possibility. Then there are potential in-state offer guys like Shemar Pearl, Z’Core Brooks, Jason Gold and others. Some out-of-state names could pop up in the fall.

Mike: I think you're right that a kid could come out of nowhere like Ojomo, but as it stands now, the picture is murky. Texas would love to land Faatui Tuitele, Jermaine Johnson and possibly Taurean Carter. That will probably be easier said than done. Realistically, I think they will still make their run at Leal, and I could see Carter and Jacoby Jones being in the class as well.

What’s the probability that the coaching staff can flip DeMarvin Leal at the end of the day? -- Troon74

EJ: I wouldn’t put an exact percentage on it, but Texas is still very much in the mix here. The Longhorns have been pressing Leal behind the scenes, and the staff continues to maintain a strong relationship with his mother. Texas already hosted Leal for an official visit and will likely get him back on campus for a game this fall. With a strong season and an increased boost from Big 12 Recruiter of the Year Jason Washington, Texas should have a legitimate shot to steal him from the Aggies.

Mike: The longer it goes, the more difficult I think it becomes. As guys bond within a recruiting class, it becomes more difficult to pry them away. Texas needs to get him back on campus and hope they have a great season. It also wouldn't hurt if the Aggies had a poor season.

With two commits along the DL that are more upside/development guys and being in the mix for Taurean Carter, do y’all think Todd Orlando and Oscar Giles will actively try to get a higher floor guy (outside of the guy from Hawaii) or are they fine taking developmental guys based on how well Giles can coach them up? — Hookem777

EJ: Texas is going to swing for the fences at every position. That’s why they are still recruiting guys like Leal, Tuitele and Sopsher. Of course, the Longhorns want to get the elite guys, but if they have to settle for developmental guys, Giles is the man to coach them up. He is one of the best football coaches on the staff, and I feel like there is a lot of confidence in his ability to identify upside guys and turn them into key contributors down the line. I wouldn't say Texas is fine with settling, but it trusts in Giles as a developer.

Mike: They've done a good job mixing both developmental and high ceiling guys. Giles' track record as a developer certainly comes in to play there, but as we've seen, I think they are more than happy to try their hand at every viable option while continuing to look for new ones.

We seem to have commits in Peter Mpagi and T’Vondre Sweat to cover the SDE/DT, plus we sit in a good spot with Taurean Carter. The last two could potentially fill the athletic NT role that Herman and Orlando like. We also seem to have a lot of these types of bodies on the current roster. But we are a bit short on the pass rusher body types. Where do things stand there? — bigo61

EJ: I shortened your question since it was super long lol. But I’ll hit on all your points.  Rian Davis can pass rusher type — really, he can play all the linebacker spots — but right now, Georgia holds the lead. The Longhorns did miss out on Zach Williams earlier this month, and he was a prospect that was a very realistic target for the position. I feel like you may see more targets pop up in the fall or maybe the staff will just wait until next cycle. I’m told there is a lot to like about Joseph Ossai. On the out-of-state front, I would keep an eye on Trace Ford out of Oklahoma. He visited for junior day. In-state, I’m not a fan of Nelson Ceasar, and I don’t think the staff is too high on him either. I actually think Shemar Pearl and Colt Ellison will add weight and be hand in the dirt guys. Pearl, however, is intriguing and could stick as a rusher. Steven Parker is from West Texas originally and very solid to Tech. David Ugwoegbu is not considering Texas. And yes, JUCO product Kuony Deng is worth keeping tabs on.

Mike: There aren't a lot of pass rushers on the market right now, and the staff is going to have to do their due diligence to find one. Rian Davis would be excellent in that role, but as EJ said, Georgia holds the edge in that recruitment. I think Pearl is the guy to focus in on, and I could easily see him earning an offer with a strong senior season.

Hey guys! I was wondering if y'all could cross analyze our DB haul last year to TAMU's this year. — mgrado71

EJ: I really don’t think there is a comparison. We said when this cycle started that it wasn’t the best year for defensive backs, specifically cornerbacks. D’shawn Jamison was the lowest ranked of the defensive backs last cycle. If he were in this cycle, he would have an argument as the top defensive back in the class. Furthermore, if any of BJ Foster, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green and Caden Sterns were in this cycle, they would be the No. 1 overall prospect in the state. I think Brian Williams and Demani Richardson are very good prospects, but again, there is really no comparison. Last year’s haul was historic. 

Mike: Comparing year to year is difficult, because exact rankings aren't equal. 2018 was a more talent-rich class in-state, so it's easier for 2019 guys to be elevated. Even with that in mind, I think you have to look at things from this type of viewpoint. D'Shawn Jamison was the lowest rated player in the Texas defensive back class, and he'd definitely be in the mix to be one of the best overall players in 2019. Sterns, Foster, Green and Cook were all considered elite level prospects with the offer sheets to match. Texas not only landed in a perfect storm of DB talent, but they were able to find true fits at both safety positions, both corner positions, the nickel position and their rover position with Overshown. I think the 2018 Texas class is more talented, and the pieces fit together better. That's not to say Texas A&M doesn't have a good class. I'm a fan of both Richardson and Williams, and I think they can develop into game changers at the next level. Young and Wolfe both have a lot of upside as well.

What are some of the behind the scenes tactics the Horns are using to make up ground in the DFW areas. Do you think it’s working? — SamDay

EJ: It’s hard to criticize the staff based on the work they’ve done on the recruiting trail, but there is always room for improvement, and I feel like they can do better in D-FW. Stan Drayton is in charge of South Dallas, and I would like to see him really hone in on some of top guys down there. I think the rise of defensive backs in D-FW next cycle is going to benefit UT since Craig Naivar will be in the metroplex pretty frequently. He has a great personality and really knows how to connect with kids. I think he could help a lot with non-DB recruits in DFW. Overall, there are no special tactics, but I think you’ll see an increased effort with so much talent there in 2020.

Mike: The staff trusts their process, and I think they want a bigger sample size in DFW before really changing things up. Like EJ said, Craig Naivar is emerging as a force in the Dallas area, and I think that will show down the stretch in this cycle and going into next year.

E.J. Holland's list of recruits who won't be visiting July 27(?)

These in-state recruits won't be visiting on July 27. I know y'all are going to be asking about them next week, so I'm getting out in front of it lol.

RB Noah Cain (In Dallas for summer) 
WR Dylan Wright 
WR Troy Omeire — Arkansas 
WR Elijah Higgins 
OL Jaylen Garth 
DL Marcus Stripling — OU 
DL Prince Dorbah 
CB Jeff Carter — OU 
CB Dwight McGlothern 
S Jalen Catalon 
S Lewis Cine 
S Darius Snow

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

LSU mod just CB'ed Tongue to Texas. The Inn is indeed full at Georgia. 

I still think LSU will make a push late when Oeaux hits the panic button with 15 commits after NSD1. 

That doesn't work if he signs w/ Texas during NSD1

Edited by utfan87

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It was probably less of a clusterfuck than this board and that includes accidentally getting caught in the middle of a Trump protest at one point. 

Alas, now I’m on my way back. 

You really do take the fun with you wherever you go, don’t you.  I fucking love it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Makiya Tongue will visit on July 30.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

LSU mod just CB'ed Tongue to Texas. The Inn is indeed full at Georgia. 

I still think LSU will make a push late when Oeaux hits the panic button with 15 commits after NSD1. 

Suchomel at OB had an update on him. He talked to Tongue, who said that he couldn't decide whether to come to our event on the 27th or Georgia's, so he flipped a coin and it landed on Georgia. Such said he was going to try to make it in for a visit after. He seemed to think UGA has the edge with an August decision date but he might bush it back a little. He said he felt that the two visits would be very big. If UGA says they'll take him, he'll probably go there. If they don't, the staff might be able to wrap it up on the 30th. But if LSU gets back in it late and pushes hard they're going to have a chance.