Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

The way we currently utilize our nickel, I don't think Jamison can hold up in the run game 

Brown probably can't cover slot receivers down the field well enough

Thompson makes the most sense. If he gets hurt, then it might have to be Sterns or maybe Cook

Adimora in a year too

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

The way we currently utilize our nickel, I don't think Jamison can hold up in the run game 

Brown probably can't cover slot receivers down the field well enough

Thompson makes the most sense. If he gets hurt, then it might have to be Sterns or maybe Cook

so same reason as Foster is unlikely to be there...

covering all DBs on the roster currently:

• Thompson = nickel guy?
  • Cook, Green, Boyce = outside CBs 
  • Foster, Brown, Overshown (covering all the bases here) = can't cover slot guys downfield 
  • Jones, Sterns = more important in a different role, even if they can cover those guys downfield
  • Jamison = offense? can he handle the run requirements?
  • Duvernay, Estell = ???

incoming recruits:

• Caldwell, Watson II = outside CB
  • Owens = safety?
  • Adimora = potentially an option?
Edited by NoName

19 minutes ago, futureman said:

are you implying he will not play nickel in 2019?

I like Thompson a lot, but my concern is that the coaches ask a lot of the nickel position and there aren't a lot of college players capable of doing it. I can hold out for the third-year leap, but 2018 Thompson didn't show that he can consistently hold up against the run or cover the quick-twitch players we see in the Big 12 on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I like Thompson a lot, but my concern is that the coaches ask a lot of the nickel position and there aren't a lot of college players capable of doing it. I can hold out for the third-year leap, but 2018 Thompson didn't show that he can consistently hold up against the run or cover the quick-twitch players we see in the Big 12 on a regular basis.

do you think that catalon can handle that role better than a third year player?  and if not him who do you think is the best option?

Just now, futureman said:

do you think that catalon can handle that role better than a third year player?  and if not him who do you think is the best option?

No, I think Thompson is the best option, and certainly better than true freshman Catalon coming off a major knee injury. I don't know if Thompson is good enough, though.

Best option is probably a grad transfer CB. Is that realistic? Probably not.

This is a schematic puzzle the coaches will need to figure out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy boards talking like Mowery and Ellison may get "processed" ( doesn't look like either is signing early ), is Mowery a guy we'd be interested in?

Not if they don't qualify. Mowry is supposed to visit after the dead period 

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy boards talking like Mowery and Ellison may get "processed", is Mowery a guy we'd be interested in?

Interesting. I thought he was a good player, and hadn't tanked in a manner similar to Stripling, who at this point no one seems to want at all. 

I don't see how or why they would trap door a kid on the defensive line period considering who is leaving and who they have in the pipeline. They need bodies there as badly as we do. 

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Oh I didn't know Mowery had grade issues.  We have no interest in Ellison.

I think going forward when you see long time committed players not sign early, it should be a sign that there's a decent chance the player needs to work on his grades or SAT/ACT

A comment about the RB recruiting. The philosophy of this staff is to go after the top names, and not shy away from the competition, like p*ssy Mac.

That means every year we are going to miss on a lot of top players. This is especially true because, despite what you’ve heard from your idiot aggy neighbor down the street, not every program funnels barrels of cash to recruits.

We’ve been in it to the end with several top backs, and have a commitment from a very good one. We’ve done this with a good, but not great season. Stop whining. The staff will figure it out.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This probably means not shit, but i had a buddy (OU Fan) tell me the OU boards are saying the mystery visitor was Trejan Bridges  (Hebron WR) and that he’s taken all the OU stuff off his twitter. 

His Instagram is still filled with OU stuff.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This probably means not shit, but i had a buddy (OU Fan) tell me the OU boards are saying the mystery visitor was Trejan Bridges  (Hebron WR) and that he’s taken all the OU stuff off his twitter. 

Probably just to create drama for the degenerates like us to keep up with

Ellison is a spare who had little to no chance of qualifying based on early reports. That comes as no surprise. I hadn't heard about Mowry having grade issues until very recently. I'd love to know if it's core/ GPA issue or a testing issue though, Mowry is a really good football player. It would be incredibly stupid to have taken not 1 but 2 grade risk at the DL spots. Makes the way that they've handled Stripling more confounding.  

I know it looks like Ugwoegbu is going to Dirt Burglar, and that fucking sucks but there's a part of me that believes that he's been holding out for the post ESD period to see if he can pick up a Bama offer. I think that's where he really wants to go and why he's been so hard for Aggy or OU to nail down. 

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t know what his Twitter looked like before, but it doesn’t seem to have OU stuff on it now.

Interesting.  Wasn’t he, uh, supposedly more of an OU personality fit, according to our posters here?

Bridges is supposed to be kind of a dick who won't be here to play school even more than your average D-I player. On the flip side he's fabulously talented.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I'm not saying I believe this, but it wouldn't surprise me if the WR group had some surprises in store.

1 minute ago, TexasFan21 said:

Anyone got this?

***Kennedy Lewis is set to announce his decision tomorrow. By now most of you probably already know how we feel about this one. We do feel good about where things stand between Texas and Lewis.

Should Texas land Lewis, that brings their wide receiver numbers up to four and the last remaining spot which was vacated by Peyton Powell would be held for Bru McCoy.

I still believe the likely outcome for McCoy is USC so nothing has changed on that end.

***Nothing new on Marcus Washington. Again, I don’t think anyone can relax until the NLI comes in. It remains pretty simply – Washington likes Texas and family would like to see him stay closer to home.

I know Marcus is saying all the right things right now but I still worry about what happens Tuesday night when the only people speaking to him are those closest to him.

Still, as I mentioned last week when this all started, I’m cautiously optimistic that Texas holds on.

***Texas JUCO RB target, Rhamondre Stevenson took an official visit to OU this past weekend. Stevenson has maintained that he would take all his official visits and wouldn’t sign until February.

We are now hearing that there is a very real possibility that Stevenson could shut this down early and sign this Wednesday. If that happens then obviously Texas will be out.

I have a call into Stevenson’s coach to get final word.

***Some increasing optimism on the Noah Cain front for Texas. I continue to say, what appears obvious usually happens. Bru McCoy ending up at USC, a place he dreamed of playing all his life, a place where his high schools friends play, a place that is so close to home makes sense.

Noah Cain playing in a state where his mother resides, where he has lived, at a school that’s made him a priority throughout the process and needs elite running backs in a big way makes a lot of sense.

***Still have my prediction on Tre Sanders set to Alabama.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I hadn't heard about Mowry having grade issues until very recently. I'd love to know if it's core/ GPA issue or a testing issue though, Mowry is a really good football player. It would be incredibly stupid to have taken not 1 but 2 grade risk at the DL spots. Makes the way that they've handled Stripling more confounding.   

I read on IT a little while ago that Mowry originally wanted to enroll early, but couldn't due to his grades. Whatever issue it is, I think it was bad enough to prevent him from enrolling early but not bad enough to ruin any chance of qualifying altogether... I think.

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A comment about the RB recruiting. The philosophy of this staff is to go after the top names, and not shy away from the competition, like p*ssy Mac.

That means every year we are going to miss on a lot of top players. This is especially true because, despite what you’ve heard from your idiot aggy neighbor down the street, not every program funnels barrels of cash to recruits.

We’ve been in it to the end with several top backs, and have a commitment from a very good one. We’ve done this with a good, but not great season. Stop whining. The staff will figure it out.

Exactly. You can't get the top guys if you don't try. And even when you don't get any of them, it's still good because you tried your best and that is all you can do. The whole staff should get raises for working hard. Because in college football trying is what matters, not results. Hooray for the staff! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Exactly. You can't get the top guys if you don't try. And even when you don't get any of them, it's still good because you tried your best and that is all you can do. The whole staff should get raises for working hard. Because in college football trying is what matters, not results. Hooray for the staff! 

That is why Mack got fired. He quit trying. There are some lessons here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

51UwubIEZHL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 1