Texas recruiting notes 2019

Just now, crash_davis said:

it's only been 2 springs but this offensive staff seem to be slow learners on designing plays to make best use of the strengths of the personnel.   hoping that the duvernay and lj humphrey plays are a sign that the staff is learning and that it sticks.

I think the first year was more about establishing culture than anything.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yes, that complicates things. Even then, he didn't appear to have elite burst or wiggle. But he looked natural catching the ball out of the backfield, and ran with decent vision and power between the tackles. Curiously it seems to be tough to find individual fumble stats for players, but according to this article he had just one. If he can pass protect, he's at the very least an upgrade to Kyle Porter as a third down back if the coaches don't trust Toneil yet.

Also, he's another option at kick returner.

Who gives a damn if he’s healthy now. We have ships. And it is for one year. Unless you’d rather it go to a senior walk on. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Who gives a damn if he’s healthy now. We have ships. And it is for one year. Unless you’d rather it go to a senior walk on. 

Can't tell if you're addressing this to me or not. I've been quite clear that I would like us to take these kinds of grad transfers because there's minimal downside.

10 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

True, but year 2 of a coaching regime is when teams usually improve.

because they were blind every day in practice the first year?

collin johnson, he's our top target.  oh shit, he gets double teamed on most plays.  maybe i should design some fucking plays to create some space for him so he doesn't get blanketed every time.  or use that double team to draw routes for someone else to run into the space vacated by the double team.

duvernay, holy shit he's fast.  maybe i should create some plays to take advantage of his spend and draw some underneath routes to commit a safety.

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

collin johnson, he's our top target.  oh shit, he gets double teamed on most plays.  maybe i should design some fucking plays to create some space for him so he doesn't get blanketed every time.  or use that double team to draw routes for someone else to run into the space vacated by the double team.

duvernay, holy shit he's fast.  maybe i should create some plays to take advantage of his spend and draw some underneath routes to commit a safety.

Probably a lot of factors.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/27/14088090/new-college-football-coaches

But I share your offensive frustration. Last year was painful.

42 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If only Tom Herman ---- whom we should admit isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer ----- had Crash Davis to figure out that  Duvernay is fast. 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

i think thats fair. i think i know the answers to those questions but would like to actually have the answers before he is our '20 QB commit.

Gagree. Either way I am going to fuck with you and if WL beats LT again this year katy bar the door. My oldest will be a freshman so between her and my other kid we are entering 8 years of HS starting next year.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

-Marcus Stripling was at the Houston UA camp this weekend or whenever it was and was getting repeatedly whipped by some C/G type out of Manvel. The Manvel guy is good enough to get a D-1 scholarship somewhere but he's not a major recruit or talent. It got so bad that Stripling literally quit during the workout, likely with a UA AA Game invite on the line. Took his cleats off and started watching practice in flip flops.

Manvel kid I think was Layden Robinson, he just visited us for the Spring game. Word is he showed out at the camp.

29 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Gagree. Either way I am going to fuck with you and if WL beats LT again this year katy bar the door. My oldest will be a freshman so between her and my other kid we are entering 8 years of HS starting next year.

giphy.gif

tommy-boy-tommy-boy-33341524-250-185.gif

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

And if LT loses to WL again next year, I will deserve it cause there is no way LT should lose to Westlake. It shouldnt have happened last season, i will be suicidal if it happens this year!

8 years? AWWWWW bless your heart. We have 5 kids. They are going to rename LT after our family! 

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

And if LT loses to WL again next year, I will deserve it cause there is no way LT should lose to Westlake. It shouldnt have happened last season, i will be suicidal if it happens this year!

8 years? AWWWWW bless your heart. We have 5 kids. They are going to rename LT after our family! 

Is one of the named Hudson and is your last name Card?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

5? Might want to get some tips from coachkiss before it ends up being 6.

E.J. Holland: Texas sees key targets to open spring evaluation period

Monday marked the first day of spring practice for several schools across the country, and the Texas staff was out in full force. UT running backs coach Stan Drayton made his way to IMG Academy (Fla.) to see a pair of elite running backs in Noah Cain and Trey Sanders. Cain visited Texas over the weekend for the spring game and enjoyed his time on campus. Right now, Texas and LSU appear to have the edge, but he remains high on others like Ohio State and Oklahoma.

Sanders is a bit of an interesting case. Most expect him to stay close to home and pick Florida. However, there is some noteworthy buzz with him and Texas. Expect to see Sanders make his way to Austin at some point this summers. Both defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and Tim Beck were in California today and made several stops. Beck evaluated a pair of 2020 quarterbacks in DJ Uiagalelei of St. John Bosco (Calif.) and Bryce Young of Mater Dei (Calif.). Both are four-star prospects and are very much in the running for Texas offers.

St. John Bosco (Calif.) is also home to elite cornerback Chris Steele and linebacker target Spencer Lytle. Steele is still high on Texas and plans to make an unofficial visit before the end of the spring. Lytle recently made a visit to UT and is high on the Longhorns. Mater Dei (Calif.) is also a powerhouse program with several recruits, including five-star athlete Bru McCoy, who is set to make an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend. Texas is quickly becoming a major player there.

Texas is still interested in four-star linebacker Mase Funa, who was supposed to make an official visit. However, he just committed to Oregon over the weekend. The Longhorns evaluated four-star 2020 safety Bryson Washingtonduring their stay at Mater Dei (Calif.) as well. Orlando also made his way to Upland (Calif.) to see five-star 2020 outside linebacker Justin Flowe. Don’t be surprised if an offer comes his way in the future.

Texas tight ends coach Derek Warehime stayed in-state and made the short trip to Temple to see Jared Wiley, who visited over the weekend. Texas is the favorite, but he is continuing to take the process slow.

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: Updates on Branson Bragg

— Branson Bragg loved his visit to Texas. On a scale of 1-10, I would give Texas a 10 for its efforts. The Longhorns really made Bragg a priority, and he got to spend a couple of hours with Herb Hand, which was a big priority going into the visit. Bragg also loved the spring game atmosphere and what he saw out of Hand as a coach. I think Texas has regained the pole position in this recruitment.

— Bragg's father is a huge Texas fan and really loved going out to Austin for the spring game. It was actually his first time going out there with Bragg, so it held special meaning to him. Bragg's grandfather also tagged along for the trip, and I think the Longhorns did a terrific job of making them all feel like family.

— Stanford is the biggest threat in this recruitment. Bragg is a high academic kid and loves what the Cardinal have to offer from an education standpoint. Bragg has been out to Stanford for an unofficial visit and is developing a good friendship with Walker Little, who hosted Bragg when he was in Palo Alto. I feel like Bragg is a little timid on heading out-of-state, but Little is certainly helping Stanford's efforts.

— I talked to Crandall head coach Joe Dale Curry for a few minutes after practice. Curry raved about Bragg as a player and as a student and said he would be a big success wherever he lands. Curry, a Texas A&M grad, is fond of the Texas program and spoke highly of Tom Herman and Herb Hand. In fact, Curry called Hand one of the best offensive line coaches in the country.

Edited by satyanash