Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I totally get that but OU and A&M are not pushing for him and they have no moral boundaries. This is where I wished I knew what I was talking about because this guy looks legit. 

We hit on two of our top four targets and the state is almost literally raining talented receivers from the sky. Well not really but there are a lot of great options out there now still to finish out the class. 

Bad grades maybe?

6 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Plus his 40 time of 4.37 is faster then McCaffery. Don't know how legit the measurement is though. 

I can see the similarity with his cutting and vision though. 

Jake is listed at 6'1''. McCaffery is 5'11". 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Smith-46047516

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/christian-mccaffrey?id=2557997

E.J. Holland: Recruiting nuggets from Dallas satellite camp

— Almost every Texas coach was at today’s Dallas satellite camp today. Wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer, offensive line coach Herb Hand, defensive line coach Oscar Giles, cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, running backs coach Stan Drayton, tight ends coach Derek Warehime, defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and head coach Tom Herman all worked the camp.

— Four-star West Mesquite wide receiver Dylan Wright made his way to the camp and got to see the Texas staff in action. Wright has a strong relationship with Mehringer, who messages him on a daily basis. Wright remains high on the Longhorns, and Texas will definitely be on his top schools list when he releases it this month.

— Texas is continuing to evaluate in-state defensive linemen and is keeping a close eye on South Oak Cliff’s Steven Parker. The Texas Tech commit has been in contact with Oscar Giles, who is supposed to have a follow up call with him in the next 48 hours. A four-star prospect, Parker is solid to the Red Raiders but would be open to hearing more from UT.

— Texas could be very close to extending an offer to rising 2020 Bishop Dunne tight end Elijah Yelverton. He has been in constant contact with Warehime and was one of the most impressive prospects at today’s camp. Yelverton already holds double digit offers and could be one of the country’s top tight ends next cycle.

— Another 2020 prospect the Longhorns could be close to offering is four-star Frisco Lone Star wide receiver Marvin Mims. He is expected to make a visit to Texas soon and has been having regular conversations with Mehringer. Mims holds close to 20 offers and is one of the state’s top recruits for next cycle.

— It is a down year at the linebacker position across the state, but two prospects the Longhorns like are Bishop Lynch products Gabriel Murphy and Grayson Murphy. Orlando invited both to camp with Texas in Austin this week, and they will attending. The Murphy brothers hold half a dozen offers each.

— Texas is also on the prowl for high upside in-state wide receivers and the Longhorns are evaluating Melissa pass catcher Kennedy Lewis. Mehringer stopped by to see him during the evaluation period and has remained in contact with him. Lewis hopes to camp at Texas this month.

— Some 2020 prospects that Texas is continuing to evaluate are Melissa quarterback Brendon Lewis, The Colony athlete Myles Price and Cedar Hill athlete Quin Bright. All were in attendance at today’s camp and have had some type of contact with the staff. File them away.

Holland put in a CB for Shepherd to UT

Only took Javonne's gf getting into UT, Shepherd stiffing the ags this weekend, and him coming to the camp tomorrow to make it happen

EDIT: Also, he's only a 91 in the composite? He seems like a high 4-star just based on how heated his recruitment is alone.

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Only took Javonne's gf getting into UT, Shepherd stiffing the ags this weekend, and him coming to the camp tomorrow to make it happen

EDIT: Also, he's only a 91 in the composite? He seems like a high 4-star just based on how heated his recruitment is alone.

I think there is a good chance he was the silent from this weekend. Been eerily quiet from the $9.95ers on who the silent is

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I think there is a good chance he was the silent from this weekend. Been eerily quiet from the $9.95ers on who the silent is

I am not sure about that, jake smith liked the silent from June 2nd. You could be right though.

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

There's probably a lot more options for comparisons if you go back 50 years

Elroy Hirsch, better known as CrazyLegs by his fans, did come to mind. 

Edited by sdm

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's pretty raw but with a high ceiling, which is where a lot of guys like that get ranked.  If he puts together a great senior year or blows up at a camp/AA game, his rating will jump. Not many guys are a legit 6'6 and can move like him. His technique is really rough right now, but he's the kind of guy who could not play for two years and then look really good by his RS Soph year.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Googling Jason Seahorn 247 has some interesting thread titles. 

I assume this is not the Jason Seahorn who was the NFL DB and got to slide it into Angie Harmon for awhile, right?

Lulz no. It's Daniel Seahorn. He's the reporter for HornSports. He's tight with Mike Roach from when he was there, so EJ tells Mike who tells Daniel. It's basically a game of recruiting telephone, except if you switch out the telephone for frappuccinos.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I assume this is not the Jason Seahorn who was the NFL DB and got to slide it into Angie Harmon for awhile, right?

I heckled him at a Dennis Quaid golf fundraiser at Onion Creek one time.  Douchebag.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ConfettiRain said:

Is anyone else concerned with Jake’s endurance? It’s only one data point, I know, but in the Hudl game I just watched, he scored touchdowns on 100% of the touches he had in the first 8:00 minutes of the game, but then was tackled on most of the plays in the last 7:00 minutes. 

Funny aside . . . his team wasn’t on defense once that game. 

I stopped watching around 7:30 wondering if any other Junior has that much film of scoring TDs in one season.

9 hours ago, ausjala said:

Welcome to the 40, young Lady, now bring your boyfriend please.

That's a genuinely charming combination of photos. Good for her for getting into to Texas; it's a lot harder to do than when I was accepted.

I'll take off a tenth of a point for the photographer's poor sense of setting and background.

• Like 1

If Texas gets Johnson, Bragg and Sheppard in the class. Do you think it Wilkins they shoot  for in the fall or a guy on the interior? Can’t wait for the Aggy article saying the marine is winning because of Green alone and 4 interior guys in the next class.

Per horns247

just put in a new Crystal Ball pick for Texas to land four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd. I’ve been told by a source close to the program that Texas is feeling better and better about his recruitment. Remember, Shepherd is expected to make a visit to UT this week, and I could see the Longhorns winning him over. His girlfriend is going to Texas, and he has a great relationship with the coaching staff.

— I had an opportunity to spend some time with the father of four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright over the last few days. He told me that Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer is working night and day on this recruitment and is clearly making him a top priority. He added that he really likes Texas head coach Tom Herman, who is personally involved in this recruitment. While Texas is an early frontrunner, Wright and his family still plan to wait until January to make a decision. This season will be huge for UT.

What's next for the Longhorns? Make sure you're in the loop by signing up for our FREE Texas newsletter!

COMMENTS
— I spoke to a prominent Louisiana source this morning that told me that Texas has turned up the heat on four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue and has regained momentum in his recruitment.Texas obviously has a need at outside wide receiver, so this comes as no surprise. However, he is still making official visits — Arizona State hosted him this weekend — and Clemson remains a threat as we reported last week.

— Texas obviously picked up a huge commitment from four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith over the weekend. Smith told me last month that he was 95 percent onboard with Texas, and the Longhorns sealed the deal on his official visit. Smith actually committed to UT around 4 p.m. and made his decision public yesterday evening after informing USC head coach Clay Helton of his plans.

12 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

If Texas gets Johnson, Bragg and Sheppard in the class. Do you think it Wilkins they shoot  for in the fall or a guy on the interior? Can’t wait for the Aggy article saying the marine is winning because of Green alone and 4 interior guys in the next class.

didnt Hand say he wanted tackle types inside? so other than Bragg, they could take all tackles. maybe?

2 minutes ago, Maker Bayfield said:

Per horns247

just put in a new Crystal Ball pick for Texas to land four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd. I’ve been told by a source close to the program that Texas is feeling better and better about his recruitment. Remember, Shepherd is expected to make a visit to UT this week, and I could see the Longhorns winning him over. His girlfriend is going to Texas, and he has a great relationship with the coaching staff.

— I had an opportunity to spend some time with the father of four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright over the last few days. He told me that Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer is working night and day on this recruitment and is clearly making him a top priority. He added that he really likes Texas head coach Tom Herman, who is personally involved in this recruitment. While Texas is an early frontrunner, Wright and his family still plan to wait until January to make a decision. This season will be huge for UT.

What's next for the Longhorns? Make sure you're in the loop by signing up for our FREE Texas newsletter!

COMMENTS
— I spoke to a prominent Louisiana source this morning that told me that Texas has turned up the heat on four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue and has regained momentum in his recruitment.Texas obviously has a need at outside wide receiver, so this comes as no surprise. However, he is still making official visits — Arizona State hosted him this weekend — and Clemson remains a threat as we reported last week.

— Texas obviously picked up a huge commitment from four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith over the weekend. Smith told me last month that he was 95 percent onboard with Texas, and the Longhorns sealed the deal on his official visit. Smith actually committed to UT around 4 p.m. and made his decision public yesterday evening after informing USC head coach Clay Helton of his plans.

Sounds like Smith wasn't the silent from awhile back but was the one Carrington tweeted on June 2. So we still have at least 1 outstanding silent. Great news on Shepherd this is going to be an amazing oline haul 

1 minute ago, utfan87 said:

Sounds like Smith wasn't the silent from awhile back but was the one Carrington tweeted on June 2. So we still have at least 1 outstanding silent. Great news on Shepherd this is going to be an amazing oline haul 

Smith was tantamount to a silent 

3 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Adimora, if ctj is to be believed.

4 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

I believe it’s Adimora 

16 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Green is looking more and more like an interior guy as well, honestly. He gets way out over his feet and doesn't have the balance for LT for sure. Maybe he could play RT in Jimbo's old school offense but that is going to be a seriously plodding OL they are putting together. 

Texas will chase Wilkins until the fax is sent in. I think we'll see at least a few later offers as well to guys with the right frame and athleticism. (think Christian Jones) In fact, I think regardless of how class numbers work you'll see that on both the OL and DL every season under Herman. 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Green is looking more and more like an interior guy as well, honestly. He gets way out over his feet and doesn't have the balance for LT for sure. Maybe he could play RT in Jimbo's old school offense but that is going to be a seriously plodding OL they are putting together. 

Texas will chase Wilkins until the fax is sent in. I think we'll see at least a few later offers as well to guys with the right frame and athleticism. (think Christian Jones) In fact, I think regardless of how class numbers work you'll see that on both the OL and DL every season under Herman. 

Supposedly Green has grown some over the spring, which should help him stick as a mauler right tackle at A&M. I think he'd be elite at guard though. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Ok buddy. Lets see how firm you are once the Season of The Ogre hits late October. 

Best case scenario with him is LSU imploding but Coach O staying on. Even if they're horrible this year, he probably sticks if LSU gets a new coach to come in and sell him on the future.