Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

16 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Fuck/Marry/Kill:

• Bobby Burton,
  • Chip Brown, and
  • EJ Holland

Go.

You marry Burton since he has money. You (hate) fuck Chip and you kill EJ because he is so annoying. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well it looks like De'Gabriel is undead now, which might not be the worst thing

Depends, those World War Z guys were fast, but kind of dumb. I don't get the feeling like they would be good in zone coverage and would get way too many roughing penalties.

57 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The thing about the Taylor Doyle take is that it wasn’t even the worst one of that era.  He actually started a few games his last year, as I recall. There were others who just walked around on the sidelines with street clothes underneath their pads for four years.  

According to this page:

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5134

Taylor started all 12 games as a Sr and 11 games as a Jr.

Not defending giving him a scholarship, but apparently he was the best option we had at center his last 2 years here.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Paden Kelly was a piece of shit. Had a few classes with him and he seemed like your typical Lake Travis douchebag. I was not surprised when he transferred without ever playing. 

He was offered basically to carry Gilbert’s books and keep him out of fights at frat parties. The recruiting services gave him 3 stars out of sympathy. 

E.J. Holland: Tom Herman credits Carrington, Chang for recruiting success

Texas always seems to win over recruits with innovative recruiting events. But head coach Tom Herman knows he can’t take all of the credit. In fact, the dudes working behind the scenes like Derek Chang, UT’s Director of Player Personnel, probably deserve a ton of it. “They all serve different roles,” Herman told Horns247. “Chang is the big picture guy. He helps me manage the roster, the 85 scholarships, the initial counters and the official visits. He’s the brain behind the operation.”

And of course, there is Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington, who has morphed into a not so behind the scenes guy after hitting the road last cycle as the interim 10th assistant. Carrington’s iconic shush emoji carries weight with the Texas fan base, and his ability to mesh with recruits while on visits is invaluable. Simply put, Carrington is an X-factor for Texas. And not many schools have a guy that compares. “Bryan is great at connecting with the recruits,” Herman said. “He’s great at building those relationships. He does an unbelievable job. Really, we’re lucky to have him and all of those guys (personnel staff).”

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB (Super K) also doesn't think it's a given that Caldwell will flip just yet because he's OVing to Oregon later this month.

Oregon has an excellent recruiting staff and were on him before anyone else. But still, we should lock this down. 

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

According to this page:

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5134

Taylor started all 12 games as a Sr and 11 games as a Jr.

Not defending giving him a scholarship, but apparently he was the best option we had at center his last 2 years here.

His play, and him playing, only cemented the validity of what a few of us were sweating when he was recruited. He should have never been recruited at Texas and he should have never played a down. He quit on the field a number of times, to boot. I listed a bunch of terrible recruits during the Brown era, but I will maintain that his recruitment was the least forgivable. They could have waited until the day before signing day to offer him after evaluating him for another full year. They didn't do that, and they didn't do that specifically because McWhorter and Brown didn't want to put in the work. 

Mack Brown started his bataan death march to being a TV analyst when he did 4 things, all directly after winning the national title:

• added more onerous academic requirements for candidates to be recruited than the NCAA required, with additional subjective "character" details needing to be present as well
  • convinced himself and his staff that there was more talent in central Texas within 50 miles of campus than anyone appreciated
  • deciding that almost all scholarships should be committed and accounted for within a cycle before May of the players' high school junior year
  • stopped sending his staff out to scout players on Friday nights during the football season

Taylor Doyle represents an example of all 4 of those details coming together. He was nice, from a great family and school, and had excellent grades. He was within an hour's driving distance. He committed as soon as he was offered. They never scouted him, as he was recommended to the staff by Gilbert's serial rapist father and Longhorn94. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

He was offered basically to carry Gilbert’s books and keep him out of fights at frat parties. The recruiting services gave him 3 stars out of sympathy. 

It’s crazy how much shit yall talk about lt players and actually have no idea. Garrett Gilbert is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. Paden Kelley had a pain killer problem from multiple back surgeries.

4 minutes ago, Texashorn19 said:

It’s crazy how much shit yall talk about lt players and actually have no idea. Garrett Gilbert is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. Paden Kelley had a pain killer problem from multiple back surgeries.

Uh, ok? When did I say anything that contradicted what you said?  

44 minutes ago, Texashorn19 said:

Does not negate what I said. Came off as a huge asshole 

45 minutes ago, Texashorn19 said:

Someone want to post the Pillsbury Doughboy Chris Hall's picture

Thanks for the post Garrett.

1 hour ago, Texashorn19 said:

They didn’t die for their country. They played college football. It’s a fan message board. 

• Like 3

If Shepherd doesn't visit College Station this weekend, then it's pretty close to calculator.

In the broken clocks are right twice a day department, I think Hamm might not be totally off base in that Shepherd is the type of recruit who gets cozy with the last school he's visited.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Shepherd doesn't visit College Station this weekend, then it's pretty close to calculator.

In the broken clocks are right twice a day department, I think Hamm might not be totally off base in that Shepherd is the type of recruit who gets cozy with the last school he's visited.

Aggy mods still don't know if he's coming tomorrow right?

45 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Probably did it himself. If so, I will give him an A for effort and a character bonus for not making a huge show of a top 7.

We are so jaded by having a professional graphics department making the edits for the recruits these days.  Hell, in my day we had to do them on an etch-a-sketch and then take a poloroid photo of it before our big brother came along and shook it all up, erasing it. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 1:05 PM, Katfid54 said:

UTL's comb-through of 35dimes' history was hilarious.  So too is the fact that you called EJ a douche, and he reads the board anonymously so frequently that he tweeted about it immediately after the call-out.  UTL is also right that you appear to be a good dude, and the Surl is definitely better for having you around.

And this post, owning up to your (generally hilarious) posts as 35dimes, is the kind of "apology" I can appreciate.

Good on you, man.

Wait a minute... I’m way behind here.  Enrico Palazzo is Onacomputer? 

• Like 2