Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Nice to see we made a good push for Davis, but let's see how he's feeling in a week. I'm also interested in what Georgia's big board looks like. I suspect there are a lot more prospects that like the Dawgs than the other way around right now.

As for Jermaine Johnson, just secure that fall OV and go from there.

Hopefully Georgia will have other priorities at the position and Davis slides to us a la Toniel Carter.

11 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Hopefully Georgia will have other priorities at the position and Davis slides to us a la Toniel Carter.

I'd be surprised if any school, including UGA or Bama, had enough other guys to prioritize at LB over Davis. If we get him, it'll likely be a straight up win over Georgia.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'd be surprised if any school, including UGA or Bama, had enough other guys to prioritize at LB over Davis. If we get him, it'll likely be a straight up win over Georgia.

What's his family situation? Off the top of my head, I think his parents are divorced, mom has custody and moved to the Orlando area. I believe dad still lives in Clear Lake. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Has he taken on official to athens yet?

Georgia is very committed to football since signing Smart, add in the wins and the lines start to get blurred between payments/program. Georgia has pushed the chips all in along with bama for winning at all costs. aggie is talking and acting like they are all in, leah & austin are there for a reason.

14 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Georgia is very committed to football since signing Smart, add in the wins and the lines start to get blurred between payments/program. Georgia has pushed the chips all in along with bama for winning at all costs. aggie is talking and acting like they are all in, leah & austin are there for a reason.

I think @Fud should chime in with his Georgia thoughts. Spoiler : We were all better off when Richt was there. Georgia has activated the Vince Dooley Era bagmen sleeper cells. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

It appears he's only visited Texas and Louisville officially.

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

😞 Maybe now we push for Gbenda? Should have been doing so anyway

Sweet fucking christ. How do you keep from bleeding out due to your perpetual waterfall of a gash?  Is it transfusions or do you just go through a costco flat of paper towel rolls every half day?

• Haha 1

E.J. Holland: Where Texas sits in national team recruiting rankings

Texas is moving on up the 247Sports national team recruiting rankings. The Longhorns had a big weekend as they scored a big commitment from three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi while on his unofficial visit. So where does Texas sit now? The Longhorns moved up to No. 11 with a score of 196.17 and leapfrogged recruiting rival LSU in the process. UT also sped past Mississippi State and Florida State.

The Longhorns currently have 10 commits this cycle — five-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith, three-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, three-star Temple tight endJared Wiley, three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat and three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi.

Texas is ranked No. 2 in the Big 12 Conference behind Oklahoma, which holds three more commits at this time. Here are the full Big 12 rankings:

1. Oklahoma

2. Texas

3. TCU

4. Oklahoma State

5. Iowa State

6. Baylor

7. Texas Tech

8. West Virginia

9. Kansas State

10. Kansas

Oklahoma has a total score of 230.02, which means the Longhorns need to keep luring top talent in order to pass up the rival Sooners. Texas is ahead of TCU by roughly 25 points with four fewer commits, so UT is safely in the No. 2 spot at this time. Texas has an average rating per recruit of 92.37 with one five-star prospect, six four-star prospects and three three-star prospects. Texas ranks first in the Big 12 in terms of average rating per recruit.

Texas and Oklahoma are the only two schools in the Big 12 with five-star recruits committed. Texas is also one of seven teams in the Big 12 with at least one four-star recruit committed. Every school in the Big 12 has at least two commits with the exception of Kansas, which currently holds one verbal pledge. Texas finished with the No. 3 recruiting class last cycle, highlighted by a historic defensive back haul that featured big name recruits like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green,DeMarvion Overshown and D’shawn Jamison.

UT’s recruiting success came in its first year under Tom Herman, who coached the Longhorns to a 7-6 season and win over Missouri in the Texas Bowl. Herman is under a five-year contract with a base salary of $5 million per year. The 2017 season marked the program's first winning season since 2013 and first bowl win since 2012 under then-head coach Mack Brown. Prior to arriving at Texas, Herman led Houston to its first American Athletic Conference title in his first year at the helm. The year after, Herman guided Houston to a win over Florida State in the Peach Bowl.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think @Fud should chime in with his Georgia thoughts. Spoiler : We were all better off when Richt was there. Georgia has activated the Vince Dooley Era bagmen sleeper cells. 

Others have been the ones talking about Georgia being more dirty than anyone else, but that isn't surprising. 

They're basically Bama at this point in recruiting, in all ways. 

20 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So, we just had our big summer recruiting weekend, and yet they’re so starved for recruiting content that EJ is typing out the already publicly available team recruiting rankings list and stretching that into a behind the paywall article?

He has some sort of regular quota to hit, I believe

Edited by satyanash

32 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So, we just had our big summer recruiting weekend, and yet they’re so starved for recruiting content that EJ is typing out the already publicly available team recruiting rankings list and stretching that into a behind the paywall article?

He ended with a paragraph telling us the name of our head coach, last season's record, who we played in a bowl, our coach's contract, last season's record again, and then more history of our coach. 

This article was literally:

1. A play by play of how a currently meaningless score went up when a player committed to us and who that caused us to jump in a currently meaningless ranking

2. A full listing of the HS, state, position, rank, and name for each player and how many commits we have after this one

3. A complete listing of the Big 12 by scores in a currently meaningless ranking

4. A paragraph detailing the currently meaningless score of the teams ahead and behind us and the most obvious statement ever about how adding good players makes us go up in the currently meaningless ranking and have a few really good players is better than having a couple good players then bread for this currently meaningless ranking. He then tells us the average rating of our class and the star breakdown...which he already gave us in paragraph 2. He then gives us a ranking that is slightly more meaningful at this time. 

5. More useless info about the current state of recruiting in the Big 12 (IN JUNE) as though we give a shit (hell I don't even give a shit about the rest of the Big 12 besides OU on NSD) and then telling us we signed a great class last year as though we don't already know that

6. A paragraph telling us the name of our head coach, last season's record, who we played in a bowl, our coach's contract, last season's record again, and then more history of our coach. 

I can't believe people willingly pay for this.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

He ended with a paragraph telling us the name of our head coach, last season's record, who we played in a bowl, our coach's contract, last season's record again, and then more history of our coach. 

1. A play by play of how a currently meaningless score went up when a player committed to us and who that caused us to jump in a currently meaningless ranking

2. A full listing of the HS, state, position, rank, and name for each player and how many commits we have after this one

3. A complete listing of the Big 12 by scores in a currently meaningless ranking

4. A paragraph detailing the currently meaningless score of the teams ahead and behind us and the most obvious statement ever about how adding good players makes us go up in the currently meaningless ranking and have a few really good players is better than having a couple good players then bread for this currently meaningless ranking. He then tells us the average rating of our class and the star breakdown...which he already gave us in paragraph 2. He then gives us a ranking that is slightly more meaningful at this time. 

5. More useless info about the current state of recruiting in the Big 12 (IN JUNE) as though we give a shit (hell I don't even give a shit about the rest of the Big 12 besides OU on NSD) and then telling us we signed a great class last year as though we don't already know that

6. A paragraph telling us the name of our head coach, last season's record, who we played in a bowl, our coach's contract, last season's record again, and then more history of our coach. 

"Tom Herman, also known as Coach Herman, whose first name happens to be Tom, is coaching this Longhorns team."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Last week he had an article on an offer that went out.  I don't remember who the player was.  The article was eight paragraphs, but he only mentioned the player in the first paragraph.  The rest of the article was other recruits, current commits, last season recap, etc.  No discussion on the player offered.  No insight on how he would fit at UT.  Was it was a good offer or not?  It was some gripping recruiting news.

53 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I don't even read the shit that's posted. The twitter stalking seems to get us all the info anyway.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Others have been the ones talking about Georgia being more dirty than anyone else, but that isn't surprising. 

They're basically Bama at this point in recruiting, in all ways. 

Georgia is the dirtiest school in the country right now. Last cycle they were basically handing out illustrative pay charts to coaches and trainers regarding what they'd pay for UOVs, OVs, commitments, and signed LOIs. Little brother is trending there, but UGA is in a different environment than Texas, and the results for little brother won't be the same. 

I will say that you guys thinking ATM won't trapdoor in-state recruits haven't checked out the burning ruins that Fisher left behind in the state of Florida at the HS level. Taggart is an animal, so he sorted it quickly, but it was more than the administration at FSU that wanted Fisher to cross the state line. 

• Like 3

Signs that the truly off off-season is nigh..

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Georgia is the dirtiest school in the country right now. Last cycle they were basically handing out illustrative pay charts to coaches and trainers regarding what they'd pay for UOVs, OVs, commitments, and signed LOIs. Little brother is trending there, but UGA is in a different environment than Texas, and the results for little brother won't be the same. 

I will say that you guys thinking ATM won't trapdoor in-state recruits haven't checked out the burning ruins that Fisher left behind in the state of Florida at the HS level. Taggart is an animal, so he sorted it quickly, but it was more than the administration at FSU that wanted Fisher to cross the state line. 

So I am going to guess that if you are privy to such information about documentary evidence of Georgia paying for players, the NCAA has similar evidence. I assume they have 'top' men reviewing it alongside the Ark of the Covenant.

Could someone photoshop that crate with the swastika on it from Raiders of the Lost Ark to have a branded SEC logo instead?

Edited by rickyspub

Just now, rickyspub said:

So I am going to guess that if you are privy to such information about documentary evidence of Georgia paying for players, the NCAA has similar evidence. I am assume they have 'top' men reviewing it alongside the Ark of the Covenant.

Could someone photoshop that crate with the swastika on it from Raiders of the Lost Ark to have a branded SEC logo instead?

I've only been told stories, much as the same as anyone else, and pass them on here from time to time. 

The NCAA has lost the narrative at this point, and they're not capable of doing anything about institutionalized cheating across an entire region. 

• Like 1