Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

46 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

Stood next to Demas during the Bevo Blvd team walk through. A number of players and coaches spotted him and gave him fist bump. Seemed to have a good bond with the players. /csb

I asked if I could tweet at him.

The gentleman to your far right, handcuffed to Demas, was TFK.  The answer to you question is no. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I'm now completely on board with paying for any top DL and LB talent available.  Top dollar.  Ford F-350s.  Buy momma a new house.  Move Uncle to Austin with high paying job at Dell.  Hook older brother up with some sick Beats and rad kicks, maybe a bag full of cash.  Whatever the f it takes.  

Even if you are serious I don’t think that’s a tack we could pull off here.  Herman needs to manage this just like he needed to manage the Beck play calling issue.  He’s been somewhat self constrained by the need to project an aura of staff stability but at some point (continued losses of instate elite DL) his hand will be forced and we will need to find some assistants who can both coach their position and do the job on the trail.  

• Like 1

My hope for how this class finishes: Stripling, Warren, Cooper, Catalon, and Banks on defense.  Hookfin and JUCO OL on offense.

(For coaches, I still think Brick Haley and Oscar Giles would be a good combo, with one guy known for recruiting and another known for developing players.  Just need a DC who isn't so stubborn.  Replace Mehringer and Meekins with Beaty and it gives an extra coach to the defense).

53 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I'm now completely on board with paying for any top DL and LB talent available.  Top dollar.  Ford F-350s.  Buy momma a new house.  Move Uncle to Austin with high paying job at Dell.  Hook older brother up with some sick Beats and rad kicks, maybe a bag full of cash.  Whatever the f it takes.  

2lox54.jpg

14 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

eddie showed out as a senior.

but that's kinda my point. average to good players like eddie jones, kheeston randall, cedric reed etc. would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

cedric reed was a bit of a whipping boy around here by his senior season. he had 19 career sacks. breckyn hager has 11 career sacks yet he's on all the football marketing. so sick of the bar being lowered around here. 

That is also kinda the development point. Some of these guys development curves that them to year 4 and 5 before they get the technique of the position down. It's why RS'ing the entire 2018 OL/DL classes is so huge. Though with the injuries plying up some of those guys may lose their RS without a better plan than what we saw on Saturday. There were series in the 4Q where the DL consisted of Chisholm, Coburn, and Ojomo.

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

The Hager hype seemed purely based on the fun hair/quotes and everyone liking his dad. Never quite got it. Omenihu has been exactly on expectations - not quite dominant but plenty of sacks and hurries. It'd be nice if someone stepped up next year for sure.

Hager is also a 4-3 end, not a 3-2 end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The biggest issue by far has been Wheeler’s complete inability to play MLB in the 3-2-6 or 3-3-5. He’s been abysmal in every facet of the position.

Yep, and Johnson is lost without Jefferson, or last 5 star defensive player.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Every, Fucking. Year.

”Can’t wait for him to get here, we need him on the field!”

shitshow

”well he’s a freshman, what did you expect?”

Blame Orlando or Herman or whoever you want for not realizing Wheeler was the same guy that we benched last year for not being good enough and not bringing in anyone capable (JUCO/grad transfer/etc) to compete for the job. We’ve slow played guys we should have jumped on (Kenneth Murray, DeShaun White) and we have zero depth. Trading White for Ayodele with OU is looking pretty terrible right now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Blame Orlando or Herman or whoever you want for not realizing Wheeler was the same guy that we benched last year for not being good enough and not bringing in anyone capable (JUCO/grad transfer/etc) to compete for the job. We’ve slow played guys we should have jumped on (Kenneth Murray, DeShaun White) and we have zero depth. Trading White for Ayodele with OU is looking pretty terrible right now.

Your argument is that a guy, who hasn’t played for us this year, is considerably worse than a guy who isn’t consistently cracking the lineup for OU’s vaunting defense?

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

So basically a true freshman like Floyd, who’s much more athletic than Wheeler and shows some basic LB instincts, would be an upgrade over Wheeler? Thanks.

To me it’s not about the freshman saving us as much as Wheeler, Locke, and Hager graduating just so we cannot use them anymore. The coaches will be saved from themselves when those guys use up their eligibility. 

Maybe the freshman will be saviors but the staff will be forced to find a solution. Floyd looks 10 times better right now in high school than Wheeler. 

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

To me it’s not about the freshman saving us as much as Wheeler, Locke, and Hager graduating just so we cannot use them anymore. The coaches will be saved from themselves when those guys use up their eligibility. 

Maybe the freshman will be saviors but the staff will be forced to find a solution. Floyd looks 10 times better right now in high school than Wheeler. 

Then the coaches will make similar mistakes again next year.  Have to think if we're relying on Freshman to shore up the defense, we'll be sadly disappointed yet again when these guys get injured and make freshmen mistakes.  

Defenders were in position to make plays and got trucked, juked or just didn't wrap up.  I don't expect we'll see too many different defensive looks going forward since this is what they've been practicing up to now, but they can work on tackling and diagnosing plays.  

By the way, I doubt Dele will completely solve our MLB problems. I have doubts about his ability to be a 3-down linebacker in the Big 12, though if his instincts are even average, he'll be an improvement over Wheeler.

The solution is more likely to come from Floyd being ready Day 1, or a JUCO / grad transfer.

15 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I member all of us were so happy for our slow white safeties to graduate. Now, our fast safeties just take a bad angle or miss the tackle. 

True, but at least now they don’t have the Dylan Haines trifecta of bad angles, missed tackles, AND slow. 

For every positive step our offense has taken the defense has taken 2 backwards. It’s crazy to think we’d have 1000 yards of offense and about 70 plus points in 2 weeks and both are losses.  Then turning on the bama LSU game and seeing the difference in tackling and D lines. It was like watching high school earlier in the day and nfl right after.  We have no push. No pressure. No anything. Which exposes our 3 18,year old kids and shit linebackers in secondary   Grier had 6-10 seconds all day to just pick and choose. Or some 150lb dude named pettway to gash us for 10/ypc. D line is just abmysmall 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, while we're all commiserating, Super K says we're in very good shape for Cain, especially if Emery goes to LSU.

The  best way to help a coaching staff deficient at several spots is to load up the roster will rock stars. 

It worked for Lea Miles, after all. 

42 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Ah yes , the old as soon as we get rid of X senior we'll be so much better.

I realize it does sound tired but I can remember several times where it was in fact true. Gideon and Boyd come to mind. There were times I thought about giving Reed Boyd a duffle bag full of cash then self reporting to NCAA. 

Just joking, obviously. 

Sort of. 

• Haha 1