Texas recruiting notes 2019

I like that Texas and Cain is seemingly the trendy pick, but I don't know what to think of "wait around and see what happens with other schools and take who's left." Better recruiting leaves other schools waiting on us, but this strategy (or only available option) still netted a top 200 player in a transition cycle and could work out this cycle. 

Maybe it's not worth getting too concerened about how we get there as long as we get there.

Edited by randygilman

4 minutes ago, randygilman said:

I like that Texas and Cain is seemingly the trendy pick, but I don't know what to think of "wait around and see what happens with other schools and take who's left." Better recruiting leaves other schools waiting on us, but this strategy (or only available option) still netted a top 200 player in a transition cycle and could work out this cycle. 

Maybe it's not worth getting too concerened about how we get there as long as we get there.

It is only November

5 hours ago, randygilman said:

This "dominos falling" thing literally happens every single year at every position and at every ranking grouping. The difference that we are seeing right now is that it's a handful of high profile players speed dropping commitments once they get some clarity. I don't really consider a top 10 running back being a consolation prize and merely taking what's left. That better describes Zach Calzada.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, randygilman said:

Doesnt really apply here. Texas has been recruiting Cain for 2 years, basically. But it's always been his plan to be a signing day decision. If he wont budge off that position, what can we do about it? But it doesn't make our strategy one of "let's just take who is left."

Edited by Katfid54

3 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

This "dominos falling" thing literally happens every single year at every position and at every ranking grouping. The difference that we are seeing right now is that it's a handful of high profile players speed dropping commitments once they get some clarity. I don't really consider a top 10 running back being a consolation prize and merely taking what's left. That better describes Zach Calzada.

I agree. A few things that we aren't use to are happening simultaneously. Top recruits at some positions such as RB and QB seem to care more about the national landscape. That seems to be a new trend although it has never been common for two top tier QBs or RBs to attend the same school. Also, the national landscape is clearing up fast because of the early signing period. And finally, we aren't use to recruiting nationally. We are likely to sign the top RB in Texas and be runner up to the top national RB <no aggie>. It isn't like we waited for clarity. This is simply what has unfolded: We won out on Cain and Brown.

6 hours ago, randygilman said:

That kind of sounds like what happened with Carter.  

Hopefully all of our visitors packed long longjohns because what in the holy fuck is this weather.

This weather is fucking awesome. Get a few days to wear rad jackets you only get to wear for half a dozen days all year and then it’s back up to 70 on Saturday. Only shitty thing is I had to lug a big-ass potted plant inside a few nights ago.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wonder what the plan is if we miss on Cain. DJ Williams looks good, but his recruitment had a very Southeastern feel to it.

The staff has followed a couple of JUCO RBs, so perhaps they're hoping for a guy who can help them next year, similar to Sanders or Cain who are early enrollees playing against elite competition who would contribute day one? 

44 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This weather is fucking awesome. Get a few days to wear rad jackets you only get to wear for half a dozen days all year and then it’s back up to 70 on Saturday. Only shitty thing is I had to lug a big-ass potted plant inside a few nights ago. 

Sweater/jacket weather is great. Enjoy it y'all.

...so what the hell is Shepherd playing at now?

EJ after dark: Intel on key OL commit Javonne Shepherd

— The Javonne Shepherd saga continues. I spoke to Rischad Whitfield aka Footwork King, and Shepherd is no longer a for sure to make it in this weekend. He did tell me that Shepherd getting to Austin is still probable but as always, we’re not really going to know until Saturday rolls around. Shepherd did not make it to his scheduled Texas A&M visit last weekend, but he is looking to make it to College Station on Nov. 24 when the Aggies take on LSU. By the way, Arizona has been in contact with Shepherd and is looking to get him on campus. With all this said, we still feel like Texas can keep him. But the Longhorns need to get him on campus and fend off A&M.

— Speaking of offensive linemen, I exchanged messages with the mother of four-star 2020 Clear Creek product Chad Lindberg, who is a one of the biggest overall priorities for next cycle. She told me that Lindberg is going to spend a lot of time hanging out with four-star 2020 Texas offensive line commit Logan Parr. One of two verbal pledges in the 2020 class, Parr is going to help the Longhorns with recruiting in the trenches, and he is already forming a friendship with Lindberg. This is a great opportunity for Texas to leave a lasting impression on Lindberg and his family.

— We mentioned that rising 2020 defensive lineman Braedon Nutter would be making an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend. According to his trainer, Rischad Whitfield aka Footwork King, Texas is actually bringing Nutter in as an offensive lineman. Whitfield told me that Herb Hand is really intrigued by Nutter as a guard/center prospect. He is definitely one to keep an eye on heading into the weekend.

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

...so what the hell is Shepherd playing at now?

EJ after dark: Intel on key OL commit Javonne Shepherd

Hide contents

— The Javonne Shepherd saga continues. I spoke to Rischad Whitfield aka Footwork King, and Shepherd is no longer a for sure to make it in this weekend. He did tell me that Shepherd getting to Austin is still probable but as always, we’re not really going to know until Saturday rolls around. Shepherd did not make it to his scheduled Texas A&M visit last weekend, but he is looking to make it to College Station on Nov. 24 when the Aggies take on LSU. By the way, Arizona has been in contact with Shepherd and is looking to get him on campus. With all this said, we still feel like Texas can keep him. But the Longhorns need to get him on campus and fend off A&M. 

— Speaking of offensive linemen, I exchanged messages with the mother of four-star 2020 Clear Creek product Chad Lindberg, who is a one of the biggest overall priorities for next cycle. She told me that Lindberg is going to spend a lot of time hanging out with four-star 2020 Texas offensive line commit Logan Parr. One of two verbal pledges in the 2020 class, Parr is going to help the Longhorns with recruiting in the trenches, and he is already forming a friendship with Lindberg. This is a great opportunity for Texas to leave a lasting impression on Lindberg and his family.

— We mentioned that rising 2020 defensive lineman Braedon Nutter would be making an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend. According to his trainer, Rischad Whitfield aka Footwork King, Texas is actually bringing Nutter in as an offensive lineman. Whitfield told me that Herb Hand is really intrigued by Nutter as a guard/center prospect. He is definitely one to keep an eye on heading into the weekend.

By the way, Arizona has been in contact with Shepherd and is looking to get him on campus. With all this said, we still feel like Texas can keep him. But the Longhorns need to get him on campus and fend off A&M.

Ah yes, the Bobby Wolfe plan

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The class is stacked with interior and swing guys. The one really good pure tackle prospect I've seen is Garth, and he's almost certainly ours 

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

The class is stacked with interior and swing guys. The one really good pure tackle prospect I've seen is Garth, and he's almost certainly ours 

Yeah Lindberg has been playing Guard this year.  Has it ever been said what Garth's injury is that will keep him out the rest of the year?  If we get Garth and Lindberg, who's your preference for the 4th OL take?

Edit:  sorry for the 2020 derail.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah Lindberg has been playing Guard this year.  Has it ever been said what Garth's injury is that will keep him out the rest of the year?  If we get Garth and Lindberg, who's your preference for the 4th OL take?

Not sure on Garth. 

Will out of state studs like Justin Rogers and Geirean Hatchett show legitimate interest? Will guys like Akinola, George, Collier, etc. improve? Can we get Jake Majors to not go to Stanford? 

Kind of wait and see how guys develop or for new targets to materialize after Parr, Lindberg, and Garth, unless Majors, Rogers, or Hatchett want in

19 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

yeah they might until Floyd, Bimage, Graham, Dele, Overshown, and Foster get off the bus and politely ask them to move away from the bus...

19 hours ago, Machinator said:

Nobody currently on the team will be there when we play our home-and-home with tOSU.

He meant their bigger and faster younger brothers that will be playing for us