Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I wrote a comment that was not worded correctly and didn’t have the right intent. I then tried to defend my thought and only exacerbated the issue. I only made myself look like something(s) I am not. I am sorry for anyone that I offended, for taking up space on this thread that I frequent daily, and not representing the website, we all enjoy, well. My apologies 

You can make up for it with more pics of your avatar.  Won't get you all the way back, but it would be a good start.  

Just put it in the football board so those surl posters who have jobs don't get fired or whatever. 

EJ after dark: Intel on four-star CB commit Kenyatta Watson

— Four-star Grayson (GA) cornerback commit Kenyatta Watson II is no longer making it to Austin this weekend. Watson’s father told me that he scheduled his all-star game tryouts on Sunday and was forced to cancel the trip. There are still plenty of rumors going around with Tennessee, and I would be a little concerned there as Watson has been to other games this fall. With that said, Watson’s father told me that his son still plans to sign with Texas on Dec. 19, which is the first day of the early period.

— While Watson is not making his way to Austin, four-star Cuero athlete commit Jordan Whittington will be on the Forty Acres to see the Longhorns host a ranked Iowa State team. Whittington has been pretty solid  and quiet since making a verbal pledge to the Longhorns back in March. He and four-star linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd are sure to do plenty of recruiting this weekend.

— Elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain will now sign on the first day of the early period, which means he moved up his decision by two days. I wouldn’t read too much into this as the Cain family has been working on setting up a ceremony for Cain back in Dallas, where his mother lives. As of right now, we still feel confident about Cain siding with the Longhorns but are keeping a close eye on Penn State.

— Rising 2020 Carthage athlete Kelvontay Dixon told me that Texas is the team to beat in his recruitment early on. Dixon is the younger brother of Texas freshman running back Keaontay Ingram and has been to every home game this season. Dixon does not have a set timeline for a commitment

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: Intel on four-star CB commit Kenyatta Watson

Reveal hidden contents

— Four-star Grayson (GA) cornerback commit Kenyatta Watson II is no longer making it to Austin this weekend. Watson’s father told me that he scheduled his all-star game tryouts on Sunday and was forced to cancel the trip. There are still plenty of rumors going around with Tennessee, and I would be a little concerned there as Watson has been to other games this fall. With that said, Watson’s father told me that his son still plans to sign with Texas on Dec. 19, which is the first day of the early period.

— While Watson is not making his way to Austin, four-star Cuero athlete commit Jordan Whittington will be on the Forty Acres to see the Longhorns host a ranked Iowa State team. Whittington has been pretty solid  and quiet since making a verbal pledge to the Longhorns back in March. He and four-star linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd are sure to do plenty of recruiting this weekend.

— Elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain will now sign on the first day of the early period, which means he moved up his decision by two days. I wouldn’t read too much into this as the Cain family has been working on setting up a ceremony for Cain back in Dallas, where his mother lives. As of right now, we still feel confident about Cain siding with the Longhorns but are keeping a close eye on Penn State.

— Rising 2020 Carthage athlete Kelvontay Dixon told me that Texas is the team to beat in his recruitment early on. Dixon is the younger brother of Texas freshman running back Keaontay Ingram and has been to every home game this season. Dixon does not have a set timeline for a commitment

EJ and intel--oxymoron

Despite our great DB class last year, Kenyatta will probably see significant playing time next near. And, the team is on-track to have a better year next year than this year. I hope he isn’t over-thinking his situation. He’s got a shot with us to end up as a contender for the Thorpe Award.

Watson’s dad, good lord. There is no reason for Pappoe to be heading to Tennessee, other than Tennessee has upped the price of poker for anyone dealing with Grayson guys. I wouldn’t light your cigarettes yet, but needing to because we’re getting fucked isn’t out of the question. That’s from a better place than EJ fucking Holland. 

How hard is Oregon actually pushing Caleb Johnson? It doesn’t seem like he’s a priority and he knows he is for Texas. Should be an interesting and important weekend for us with that one. 

ATM is as weary of Shepherd as we are. He’s an important recruit only from the rankings and perception perspective. I’ll take the opposite side of any bet for any amount of dollars that this guy amounts to more than a one year starter somewhere, at best. Dude could be out of football before his eligibility is up. 

Texas feels good about Higgins. I think they’re sniffing their own farts on that one. 

It would take a crazy set of events for McCoy not to go to USC. They’d have to term Helton and hire Jeff Fisher or Del Rio or extend Helton after beating Notre Dame or something equally insane. 

Hookfin has become a must get. 

Separate note — 

They like Epps as something like LJH and not as a TE. 2018 class still looks great across the board and the 2017 group is an overachieving unit. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Seeing teams like Pearsall in the playoffs is an absolute joke. They were 4-7 on the year. Hell a local team made the playoffs with 2 wins! When the hell did we go to every damn team making the playoffs? Lets get back to having to win district to make the playoffs. 

Old guy rant over.

Whittington is a beast!

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Watson’s dad, good lord. There is no reason for Pappoe to be heading to Tennessee, other than Tennessee has upped the price of poker for anyone dealing with Grayson guys. I wouldn’t light your cigarettes yet, but needing to because we’re getting fucked isn’t out of the question. That’s from a better place than EJ fucking Holland. 

How hard is Oregon actually pushing Caleb Johnson? It doesn’t seem like he’s a priority and he knows he is for Texas. Should be an interesting and important weekend for us with that one. 

ATM is as weary of Shepherd as we are. He’s an important recruit only from the rankings and perception perspective. I’ll take the opposite side of any bet for any amount of dollars that this guy amounts to more than a one year starter somewhere, at best. Dude could be out of football before his eligibility is up. 

Texas feels good about Higgins. I think they’re sniffing their own farts on that one. 

It would take a crazy set of events for McCoy not to go to USC. They’d have to term Helton and hire Jeff Fisher or Del Rio or extend Helton after beating Notre Dame or something equally insane. 

Hookfin has become a must get. 

Separate note — 

They like Epps as something like LJH and not as a TE. 2018 class still looks great across the board and the 2017 group is an overachieving unit. 

Everything points to Bru going to USC. I still like the effort and it was worth the investment to take a shot. 

If Texas lands Hookfin, that’s only two lineman that you can count on and we lose three. Are we going to circle back to a Coker or JUCO? 

Seeing Epps in the last game, he is almost certainly a WR. Some sort of major body transformation had to happen for him to be a tight end. 

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Everything points to Bru going to USC. I still like the effort and it was worth the investment to take a shot. 

If Texas lands Hookfin, that’s only two lineman that you can count on and we lose three. Are we going to circle back to a Coker or JUCO? 

Seeing Epps in the last game, he is almost certainly a WR. Some sort of major body transformation had to happen for him to be a tight end. 

It seems like they are definitely looking for a JUCO/Grad Transfer OT to add for next season.   Myron Cunningham is a JUCO that was offered last month and is supposed to visit after the season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Myron-Cunningham-46058777/

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

They’ll take another OL. They also will look at the GT market. They also know the 2020 and 2021 classes are loaded with OL and they look good on their top targets early. I think they’ll wind up with 4 OLs in this class and Shepherd should then immediately be discounted for discerning fans. If they don’t land him, maybe they finish with 3. GT is not a part of my numbers. 

The Bru recruitment works for me. They have daylight on getting him and that’s worth it. 

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You go to an SEC feeder high school, this kind of shit happens. The kid and his mom seem to really like (the real) UT so hopefully they'll push back on that.

CTJ ...Rockin' great info..... 🤘

Always a concern for an out of state player like Watson when the Father might be looking to be rewarded as well....... Vols will keep the pressure on here.

Shepherd has some maturity issues..... definitely concerns there. Got to get Hookfin, JUCO Caleb Johnson (LB), JUCO Jacoby Jones (SDE), and hopefully Cain.

Great take on Epps " as something like LJH and not as a TE".  Makes me wonder if a Grad Transfer blocking TE is added.

Any more thoughts on positions that HORNS might look to add  Grad Transfer players?

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Despite our great DB class last year, Kenyatta will probably see significant playing time next near. And, the team is on-track to have a better year next year than this year. I hope he isn’t over-thinking his situation. He’s got a shot with us to end up as a contender for the Thorpe Award. 

They should move Jamison to corner when he goes back to defense in a few months rather than nickel. Kenyatta could help next year more as a punt/kick blocker than anything. 

33 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It seems like they are definitely looking for a JUCO/Grad Transfer OT to add for next season.   Myron Cunningham is a JUCO that was offered last month and is supposed to visit after the season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Myron-Cunningham-46058777/

We've offered this guy as well and is supposedly visiting at some point.  I don't think he's a January enrollee though.

https://247sports.com/Player/Bamidele-Olaseni-46053088/

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When we debated about whether or not to take a third tackle on this board a month or two ago, this is why I was all for it

16 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm not optimistic about JS being in the class, or if does end up signing with us, being a contributor. His real value is that aggy thought he was all wrapped up and he ended up committing to us. That was funny. 

That, and he should help with his Julio Jones esq teammate, who will have a similar recruitment but on bath salts 

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We've offered this guy as well and is supposedly visiting at some point.  I don't think he's a January enrollee though.

https://247sports.com/Player/Bamidele-Olaseni-46053088/

Jay Williams might be one to watch

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4076409/5be87739d469390ae0a3f43e

Regarding Cunningham, he's taking all five OVs, and with JUCOs, the overwhelming factor is always immediate playing time. He's likely take one to Texas, but currently his two scheduled OVs are OU this upcoming weekend, and one to Arkansas. Considering OU just kicked a 2018 JUCO off the team who was likely going to start in 2019, they have a nice playing time sell. Playing time is about all Arkansas can sell at this point. Not getting my hopes up here, which is a shame because he's one of the better JUCO OL I've seen, similar to Traore last year. 

If Pappoe is a factor in Kenyatta flipping to Tennessee, root for his recruiter Travis Williams to keep his job. The original reason Pappoe committed and has stayed solid to Auburn was almost solely due to that coach, and with the defense and linebackers struggling lately he's come under a bit of fire, but if he stays, then Pappoe is much more likely to stay. 

Of course, if Pappoe doesn't factor into Kenyatta, then it doesn't matter. 

42 minutes ago, Fud said:

Jay Williams might be one to watch

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4076409/5be87739d469390ae0a3f43e

Regarding Cunningham, he's taking all five OVs, and with JUCOs, the overwhelming factor is always immediate playing time. He's likely take one to Texas, but currently his two scheduled OVs are OU this upcoming weekend, and one to Arkansas. Considering OU just kicked a 2018 JUCO off the team who was likely going to start in 2019, they have a nice playing time sell. Playing time is about all Arkansas can sell at this point. Not getting my hopes up here, which is a shame because he's one of the better JUCO OL I've seen, similar to Traore last year. 

Great stuff Fud..... 🤘

https://247sports.com/Player/Jay-Williams-46058486/

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great stuff Fud..... 🤘

https://247sports.com/Player/Jay-Williams-46058486/

According to the San Diego St website - Jay Williams as a freshman in 2016 was a 6'3" 240 pound defensive lineman.  247 says he was at San Diego St for 2016 & 2017.  Then transferred to Grossmont college for 2018 - and is now a 6'6" 290 pound OT. 

So he has 2 yrs to play 2, correct?

As a Bulls fan - this possible recruitment hits close to home.

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

According to the San Diego St website - Jay Williams as a freshman in 2016 was a 6'3" 240 pound defensive lineman.  247 says he was at San Diego St for 2016 & 2017.  Then transferred to Grossmont college for 2018 - and is now a 6'6" 290 pound OT. 

So he has 2 yrs to play 2, correct?

As a Bulls fan - this possible recruitment hits close to home.

He looked awfully good in that tape. I guess his issue is bad grades.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-16th-18th/

Quick-Hitters | Johnson, Coker, Warren & More
– Super K

***In case you missed it, last week, Texas 2019 DT target, Rodas Johnson (Columbus, OH) committed to Wisconsin. As you may recall, Johnson is originally from Texas. He moved to Ohio when he was around 11 years old but still frequents the great state to see family. He visited Texas this past summer and was planning on taking an official visit.

Johnson tells me however that since his commitment he hasn’t had contact with Texas. So it appears the Horns have moved on.

***When I saw TCU OL commit, Andrew Coker a few weeks ago he said, unequivocally, he would take an official visit to Texas. At the time he had said he would also take an unofficial visit to Texas for the West Virginia game.

That did not happen. I checked with him earlier this week and he tells me he will not be able to make it to the Iowa State game. However, I’m told Texas is still pursuing him.

Look for him to possibly take an official in December. Texas will have a big recruiting weekend after the season.

***A JUCO running back to keep an eye on is Rhamondre Stevenson (Cerritos College). The Sooners recently offered Stevenson and when I checked on him I discovered that Texas has actually been in touch with him for bit, as well.

Everything I’ve heard from my contacts out in California have been glowing about Stevenson. He’s considered far and away the best running back in the JUCO ranks in Cali. I’m told he’s very big and very fast.

***Also, a quick note on high upside 2019 OT, Isaiah Hookfin. He will not make it in this weekend for the Iowa State game. He tells me that he still has yet to set up his official visit to Texas or any other school (he already took one to Illinois).

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-16th-18th/

Hide contents

Quick-Hitters | Johnson, Coker, Warren & More
– Super K

***In case you missed it, last week, Texas 2019 DT target, Rodas Johnson (Columbus, OH) committed to Wisconsin. As you may recall, Johnson is originally from Texas. He moved to Ohio when he was around 11 years old but still frequents the great state to see family. He visited Texas this past summer and was planning on taking an official visit.

Johnson tells me however that since his commitment he hasn’t had contact with Texas. So it appears the Horns have moved on.

***When I saw TCU OL commit, Andrew Coker a few weeks ago he said, unequivocally, he would take an official visit to Texas. At the time he had said he would also take an unofficial visit to Texas for the West Virginia game.

That did not happen. I checked with him earlier this week and he tells me he will not be able to make it to the Iowa State game. However, I’m told Texas is still pursuing him.

Look for him to possibly take an official in December. Texas will have a big recruiting weekend after the season.

***A JUCO running back to keep an eye on is Rhamondre Stevenson (Cerritos College). The Sooners recently offered Stevenson and when I checked on him I discovered that Texas has actually been in touch with him for bit, as well.

Everything I’ve heard from my contacts out in California have been glowing about Stevenson. He’s considered far and away the best running back in the JUCO ranks in Cali. I’m told he’s very big and very fast.

***Also, a quick note on high upside 2019 OT, Isaiah Hookfin. He will not make it in this weekend for the Iowa State game. He tells me that he still has yet to set up his official visit to Texas or any other school (he already took one to Illinois).

5'11" and 235 pounds for that JUCO RB.  

https://247sports.com/Player/Rhamondre-Stevenson-81020/

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1887108/5a10eb344bb2d509fc0e3b41

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not a bad idea if the staff goes after him considering the only proven back on the roster will be Ingram. Don't want to get in a habit of relying solely on true freshmen for the run game. 

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Not a bad idea if the staff goes after him considering the only proven back on the roster will be Ingram. Don't want to get in a habit of relying solely on true freshmen for the run game. 

I think a JUCO RB would be a backup plan for Cain/Sanders (or just Cain), both of whom are early enrollees who play against the toughest competition in the country, are polished in pass pro, good receivers, and physically mature, thus should be able to contribute meaningfully with the first team game one