Texas recruiting notes 2019

TFB update on Marcus Washington

I know yesterday some of you asked about the status of 2019 wide receiver commit, Marcus Washington. I noted in the comments section that Washington is solid. However, with Missouri being a team in such close proximity to Washington, I decided to reach out to a few people to check on the status of his commitment.

I actually spoke with Washington’s father this morning.

I’ll make this pretty simple. As the reality of signing sets in, the reality of Marcus being so far away from home has also set it. As such, there is some hesitation on the part of the family.

Washington’s father spoke specifically about the distance potentially prohibiting the family from being able to see Marcus play. Additionally, I get the sense that there is just a comfort knowing that, should your son need anything, he is only a few hours away.

Having said that, the family believes in what Texas is doing and they have a great relationship with the coaching staff. Washington spoke specifically about his respect for Tom Herman and how as he’s gotten to know Herman through the process. He’s come to really like him.

Coach Mehringer is currently in St. Louis. So, the family will speak with Mehringer today

I should note that Missouri has yet to do an in-home visit but multiple schools including Missouri have made it clear that if Washington wants a spot there, he has one. As a side note, apparently Alabama has done the same but I don’t see them as a threat.

Also, to be clear, Marcus’ father said in no uncertain terms that this decision will be Marcus’ decision. He talked at length about how he knows from his own life experiences how important it is that the final decision be made by the person who will live the experience – in this case, Marcus.

It sounds like Marcus feels comfortable with Texas which as his father said, is ultimately what will matter most.

Insider: I’m told the family will have a final decision on Monday. I know that as of now Marcus is saying he is solid and I do take his father at his word, that Marcus will ultimately be the decision maker. So, just my opinion at the moment but I think Texas holds on here. I should know more this weekend.

This is what happens when Texas starts going after out of state players. You can't trust their commitments and you miss out on the Texas players who you could have landed in February and then not had to worry about keeping your commitments. I mean don't get me wrong, the coaches all know what they are doing, but I just don't like going all over the country to get players when there are so many good players right here in Texas. Give me 25 Texans who want to be Longhorns over 25 mercenaries from Missouri any day. I just don't like how stressful all of this late stage recruiting is nowadays and I'm scared we're going to miss on a bunch of our top targets. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This is what happens when Texas starts going after out of state players. You can't trust their commitments and you miss out on the Texas players who you could have landed in February and then not had to worry about keeping your commitments. I mean don't get me wrong, the coaches all know what they are doing, but I just don't like going all over the country to get players when there are so many good players right here in Texas. Give me 25 Texans who want to be Longhorns over 25 mercenaries from Missouri any day. I just don't like how stressful all of this late stage recruiting is nowadays and I'm scared we're going to miss on a bunch of our top targets. 

Lol

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

This is the challenge when going out of state. I understand wanting to be able to see your kid play. Sucks.

The problem is that this is overcome by every school in the country that lives and dies by OOS recruiting. It's a 90 minute flight from St. Louis to Austin. If seeing the guy play, visit home, or even practice, is a problem, you find a way to ensure that the family or the player can get back and forth at will. This is done every fucking day by other programs and I don't give one fuck if the NCAA would frown on it. Boo hoo, go enforce something for once and then I will give a shit. There's not moral or legal compromise in ensuring that a player can travel to see parents and vice versa.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

C'mon HS..... Make Us Really Laugh....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The problem is that this is overcome by every school in the country that lives and dies by OOS recruiting. It's a 90 minute flight from St. Louis to Austin. If seeing the guy play, visit home, or even practice, is a problem, you find a way to ensure that the family or the player can get back and forth at will. This is done every fucking day by other programs and I don't give one fuck if the NCAA would frown on it. Boo hoo, go enforce something for once and then I will give a shit. There's not moral or legal compromise in ensuring that a player can travel to see parents and vice versa.

Don’t bring me down, satya 

23 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Go back to UNC, Mack.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB update on Marcus Washington

Hide contents

I know yesterday some of you asked about the status of 2019 wide receiver commit, Marcus Washington. I noted in the comments section that Washington is solid. However, with Missouri being a team in such close proximity to Washington, I decided to reach out to a few people to check on the status of his commitment.

I actually spoke with Washington’s father this morning.

I’ll make this pretty simple. As the reality of signing sets in, the reality of Marcus being so far away from home has also set it. As such, there is some hesitation on the part of the family.

Washington’s father spoke specifically about the distance potentially prohibiting the family from being able to see Marcus play. Additionally, I get the sense that there is just a comfort knowing that, should your son need anything, he is only a few hours away.

Having said that, the family believes in what Texas is doing and they have a great relationship with the coaching staff. Washington spoke specifically about his respect for Tom Herman and how as he’s gotten to know Herman through the process. He’s come to really like him.

Coach Mehringer is currently in St. Louis. So, the family will speak with Mehringer today

I should note that Missouri has yet to do an in-home visit but multiple schools including Missouri have made it clear that if Washington wants a spot there, he has one. As a side note, apparently Alabama has done the same but I don’t see them as a threat.

Also, to be clear, Marcus’ father said in no uncertain terms that this decision will be Marcus’ decision. He talked at length about how he knows from his own life experiences how important it is that the final decision be made by the person who will live the experience – in this case, Marcus.

It sounds like Marcus feels comfortable with Texas which as his father said, is ultimately what will matter most.

Insider: I’m told the family will have a final decision on Monday. I know that as of now Marcus is saying he is solid and I do take his father at his word, that Marcus will ultimately be the decision maker. So, just my opinion at the moment but I think Texas holds on here. I should know more this weekend.

"I’ll make this pretty simple. As the reality of signing sets in, the reality of Marcus being so far away from home has also set it. As such, there is some hesitation on the part of the family."

I guess at some point you gotta cut the apron strings, grow up be an adult and realize that you need to set your own path.  It reminds me of my troops who do everything they can to try and get stationed near mommy and daddy.   Bro your 24 time to snip the umbilical cord.

I hope whatever he decides to do he is happy with, but if the excitement of moving away, big time football potentially setting yourself up for NFL aspirations doestn excite the hell out of you, then I just don't know what will  

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

this right here 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

36 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

No,  only recruiting texas is what fucked us the last decade plus,  hyped up primadonnas who think they dont need to work hard and where entitied while getting buttt F&*Cked up and down the field by everyone is why we needed to go out of state, find kids that yes I am 1100 miles away from home, but I am committed and ready to work, over the kids that grew up across the street and felt like they were owed this because they are texas kids.   fresh blood and a message to the locals that if you dont wanna work we will find others who do, to include those without allegiance or feel entitled 

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

No,  only recruiting texas is what fucked us the last decade plus,  hyped up primadonnas who think they dont need to work hard and where entitied while getting buttt F&*Cked up and down the field by everyone is why we needed to go out of state, find kids that yes I am 1100 miles away from home, but I am committed and ready to work, over the kids that grew up across the street and felt like they were owed this because they are texas kids.   fresh blood and a message to the locals that if you dont wanna work we will find others who do, to include those without allegiance or feel entitled 

Uh, remind me again where Vince Young is from? Or Roy Williams? Or Ricky Williams? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

wow

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Shepherd not signing until NSD2 has to be frustrating to Texas Coaches.

If Shepherd ends up at Texas great, but better keep scouring other rosters for depth at OL.... Need to add at least Hookfin and a minimum of 1 OL grad transfer to 2019 Longhorns Roster....🤘

Has Shepherd already done his official? The last player that we recruited with this type of drama was Kris Boyd. Overall I would say it was worth it, but maybe just barely.  

15 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Can we ban whoever liked this?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Go back to UNC, Mack.

21 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Imagine being a regular poster on Shaggy/Surly for multiple years and still falling for Hank Scorpio's satire.

• Like 3

Here, let's try something different, since we're in the business of wildly speculating today. From the OU Braniacs:

***Another thing to keep an eye on is Sooners OL commit, EJ Ndoma-Ogar. EJ has spoken at length to Charlie and while EJ is 100% committed to the Sooners, it seems there are a lot of folks negatively recruiting the Sooners in this one. Specifically, they are telling EJ that Lincoln Riley and/or Bill Bedenbaugh may not be at OU much longer.

It seems EJ has dismissed the claims regarding Riley but some concerns remain regarding Bedenbaugh and it’s causing EJ to consider delaying his signing.

Again, EJ is absolutely locked in with OU…the day he signs? That may or may not still be up in the air.

However, a final decision on whether he will or won’t sign right away has yet to be made.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Here, let's try something different, since we're in the business of wildly speculating today. From the OU Braniacs:

Lincoln is likely around another year if he gets close, if he gets lambasted by bama, maybe he goes to cleveland lol or cincy