Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't follow recruiting as closely as many here, but some of the projected outcomes in this update read like aggy celebrating their losses against Bama and Clemson.

I get we have to take since big shots and the biggest shots have the lowest %, but there's a lot of "great team effort, came up a little short against great competition" in this.

Winning even one of these battles would feel like all the effort was worth it.  If we can't win any of them, we may need to reevaluate what we're doing. 

I agree, but you have to remember there are some big battles that aren't being talked about because we already won them months ago. Jake Smith comes to mind.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I agree, but you have to remember there are some big battles that aren't being talked about because we already won them months ago. Jake Smith comes to mind.

That's a good point.  I started following this cycle late, so some of them were probably done by the time I jumped in.  Just hoping for a strong finish on this last group, I guess. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I like Noah Cain even more after reading that article. Good luck to him, wherever he picks. I hope he researched Franklin’s background a bit more.

There's a reason Franklin didn't go down in flames after what happened at Vanderbilt:  he's pretty good at talking his way out of a jam. I suspect he's made himself look pretty good in Cain's eyes.

IT comments 

Spoiler

Any word on Ojomo + Woodard, and whether Tyler Johnson will be enrolling early?

EN: I’ve heard Johnson is enrolling early per a coach of his.

Haven’t heard back on those guys. If we don’t write something it’s because we’re still working on it.

/

Any names of RB’s that will pop up post NSD1 besides glass?

EN: Haven’t heard any yet. They’ve felt confident they’ll get one of the five they like. Not sure who is up after that. I’m sure that’s something they’ll work on during the dead period should they need to.

/

How much will Texas baseball impact Catalon's decision? Did he get to meet with Coach David Pierce on his OV?

EN: Baseball was a nice ‘in’ and differentiator for Naivar to build a relationship with him but it has no impact on his choice.

JW: Not too much. He’s met Pierce multiple times. It was more flattering than reality.

/

What is the biggest recruiting shock to date (that Texas landing Sanders would eclipse)? Chris Simms? Shiro Davis?

EN: Since I’ve been doing this Shiro.

JN: Since I’ve paid close attention, Chris Simms.

32 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't follow recruiting as closely as many here, but some of the projected outcomes in this update read like aggy celebrating their losses against Bama and Clemson.

I get we have to take since big shots and the biggest shots have the lowest %, but there's a lot of "great team effort, came up a little short against great competition" in this.

Winning even one of these battles would feel like all the effort was worth it.  If we can't win any of them, we may need to reevaluate what we're doing.  

IT has been a little cheerleader-y this cycle. I get that there's a weird pessimism around this class even though it's pretty excellent, and they're trying to combat that, but it's reading a bit aggy.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

IT has been a little cheerleader-y this cycle. I get that there's a weird pessimism around this class even though it's pretty excellent, and they're trying to combat that, but it's reading a bit aggy.

They're in the position where there's a large number of chicken littles on that board right now, so they're coming across as sunshine pumpers when really they're adjusting expectations for the people who genuinely expected us to land the likes of Sanders and Bru a few weeks ago.

Justin and Eric's offhand comments are typically more candid and critical of the staff. They all but outright blame Mehringer for the Garrett Wilson recruitment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They're in the position where there's a large number of chicken littles on that board right now, so they're coming across as sunshine pumpers when really they're adjusting expectations for the people who genuinely expected us to land the likes of Sanders and Bru a few weeks ago.

Justin and Eric's offhand comments are typically more candid and critical of the staff. They all but outright blame Mehringer for the Garrett Wilson recruitment.

And sadly that is the wrong take. A lot to blame Meh for, but Garrett Wilson likely thinks Zach Smith is misunderstood.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

NFL personel suggested that Malik, Hill and Elliot would all benefit from returning for their senior year.  They didn’t listen. Hopefully LJH and Collin listen. We might can afford to lose one, but not both. 

Two of those guys were hardline Team Strong, and the other would've spent so much time suspended from the team this year that it would've been dumb to stay to improve draft stock.

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Max Olson did a piece on what it's like being a recruit from IMG, just gonna post the Cain parts: 

https://theathletic.com/707900/2018/12/17/college-football-recruiting-roundtable-img-academy-prospects/

Reveal hidden contents

How does it feel to be at the end of the recruiting process, with college just a month away?

Noah Cain: It is a relief. I think as recruits, we tend to see a lot of dudes get caught up in the hype and everybody telling you how good you are, everybody telling you you’re gonna be this and that and gonna get All-America right away. They don’t really see the hours you put in before everybody gets up to get to that point. Everybody sees the fame part of it. I think when you come to IMG, it humbles every prospect, regardless of if you’re a top recruit. It humbles everybody. Because here, the coaches are gonna be on you. You’re not gonna have coaches that ride your coattail and tell you how good you are. Everybody treats you the same here; there’s no favoritism. I think that’s why the brotherhood here gets so tight amongst the top dudes here. Everybody gets humbled here, regardless of who you are.

I imagine when you were younger, getting recruited sounded like a lot of fun. Is it still fun at this point?

Cain: I specifically waited. I made a decision in my mind my sophomore year to wait because of coaches. A lot of these coaches, they’re two-faced. They tell you something to your face then do something else, something different. Coaches leave. Players come back. There’s so many things you have to look into to make this decision. The last thing you wanna do is commit and decommit. That’s something I always told myself. That’s really the biggest reason why I wanted to wait until National Signing Day. When I make my decision, I’m final with it. No turning back. No coaches coming in trying to visit you. No. I’m signed. I’m going to college in January.

A lot of coaches, they try to pressure me into committing. But at the same time, if you really want me, you’re gonna wait ’til the end. That’s why my three finalists are who they are. They respected my timeline and my decision. Nobody tried to rush me. They were like, “All right. Until you tell us no, we’re here with you.” That’s when you really know who’s with you and who’s not. When schools are trying to pressure you into committing, that means they’ve got another guy on their mind. That’s how I look at it. That’s a big reason why I waited so long. I look at all that. Some of my top schools took other guys and were like, “Well, if you don’t hop on, they’re gonna hop on.” It is what it is. It’s not the place for me. I know God will lead me to the right school for me.

What is it like for you guys dealing with your recruiting process on social media?

Cain: I would say the thing I don’t like about this is everybody feels entitled to know what you got going on, who your top schools are, where you wanna go. Everybody is like, “You’ve been knowing me this long; where you going?” And you don’t know yourself. Everybody feels entitled to your business. And you’ve got to hold your tongue because you’re put on a different pedestal than them. That’s the biggest thing with us recruits; we can’t do regular stuff. You can’t go out every time. You can’t be in the spotlight with the regular kids. You’ve gotta be mature and think of the bigger picture.

Do you guys ever wonder who those people are that show up in your mentions?

Cain: I mean, it’s true what they’re saying. But there’s still a small percent of good people that say, “I wish you the best of luck wherever you go. God bless.” There’s still good people in this world that really want to see you succeed and like you and aren’t like, “If you go to my school, I’ll love you. And if you don’t, I hate you.” When you get on this stage of football, a lot of kids start looking up to you and you start to get known around the country. When kids say, “I watch your highlight every day. I look up to you,” that makes you mature. You start to feel like, “OK, I can’t do the old things I was doing before I got offers. I gotta start moving a different way.” So there are still some DMs that make you feel good about yourself and really make you look back on all the blessings God’s giving you.

How much negative recruiting do you hear from coaches?

Cain: You post something thinking nobody’s looking at it, and next thing you know, a coach is like, “What you doing? Where you at? Why you at this school?” You post a picture on your official visit, and they’re like, “Why are you there? What you doing? Why you messing with them coaches? Them dudes are not good dudes.”

This is gonna blow your mind: One of the coaches that was recruiting me, he went to the school! He’s talking mess on his own alma mater! Like, you went here! You telling me about the school you went to! And he’s at the opposing school, like a rival school. Like, dude, you was an alumni of this school, regardless of your profession now, and yet now you’re talking crazy about your school. That doesn’t sit well with me! You really see people’s character in this recruiting process, too. There’s no loyalty with these people, man. Their true colors come out. In this last recruiting stretch, people’s true colors come out. You see how they really is as a person because they’re getting desperate.

Cain: In my younger recruiting days, I was like, “This is gonna be so hard to make a decision.” It’s not. I’ve kinda already got it narrowed down in my mind. When they say this is a business, it really is a business. That’s why I don’t feel bad to the coach if I’m not interested or I’m not coming. If you’re recruiting me and you’re leaving in a minute, you’re not telling me why you’re leaving. One of my top schools — I’m not gonna say the name — the offensive coordinator just left. Didn’t tell nobody. He was just in my face last week talking about how much he wants me to come there. And he left.

So that’s why I look at things like that and don’t feel bad when a coach gets his feelings hurt that I don’t wanna come. You’re telling another recruit the same thing you’re telling me. And it’s really a business decision. I really don’t feel like it’s gonna be hard come signing day because I’m going with a school that was with me from Day One and I’m going to a school that has a stable coaching staff. Those are two big things to me.

The unlimited texting and DMs and contact now, does that make your lives harder?

Cain: It’s not the texts; it’s the calls. I really thought it would be cool, coaches calling my phone and all these different schools. And now, you get the phone call, you don’t wanna answer the phone. I’m chilling right now.

Cain: From older guys like (former TCU quarterback) Shawn Robinson, when I was a freshman, he said, “Bro, I’m telling you. You’re gonna get tired of it.” I didn’t see it. I loved the hype and all the fame and everybody telling me I’m gonna be the next Heisman Trophy winner. Loved all that. Nowadays, you just want to grind and be about your business and be low-key. That’s the biggest thing right now.

Have there at least been aspects of going through your recruitment and meeting new people that you appreciate?

Cain: There’s definitely a lot of perks.

What part of this process has brought the most pressure or stress?

Cain: There’s no perfect school for nobody. Everybody says there’s a perfect school. Every school is going to have its things you don’t like.

Turner: If there was a perfect school, everybody would be going to it.

Cain: Right, there’s no perfect school. Every recruit says it’s the perfect school for me. Then they get there and start talking about how much they hate it. There’s no perfect school. So it’s kinda like you pick your poison.

Shearin: My momma always taught me that if you commit to something, you’re committed. That’s what you’re gonna do. And if you have any doubts, you shouldn’t have committed. Now if a coach gets fired or things like that, you can understand that. But I see people commit to a school, get a better offer, decommit and commit the next week again. That’s just not how I was raised.

Cain: That’s why the biggest thing is the depth chart. You can go to a school for the hype. They’ll hype you and all them fans talking about you on Instagram and Twitter. That ends in January. You get to school, and they don’t care about all that. They’re expecting you to win for them. It’s a business. It’s up to you. Forget all the facilities, and forget all your boys are going there. You’ve gotta go somewhere you can be happy and where you can get to the league. Some recruits, I know they’re just in it for the hype. They wanna go to college. Hopefully, they get to the league and, if they don’t, they’re cool with it. It depends on your mindset and how bad you wanna get that bag in three years.

As you look back, what are some of the craziest things you had to deal with during the recruiting process?

Cain: I’m from Baton Rouge so, of course, I was supposed to go to LSU. So I’m in the Hi Nabor grocery store in Baton Rouge with my grandmother this summer, and we’re getting some food for dinner. I’ll never forget this day. We were going through the aisle, and an LSU fan was shopping and comes up. I didn’t think he knew me, and he bumped into me like, “Hey, man. You going to The Boot, right? You going to be a Boot Boy, right?” I was like, “I don’t know yet.” He was like, “What you mean you don’t know?” He was looking at me crazy and cross-eyed.

I’m like, “Look, bruh. I’m just here with my grandmother.” He said, “I respect that. Yeah, man. You know I played ball back in my day. You need to go to the Boot, though, man. You from Baton Rouge; You need to go to The Boot.” And he’s getting all mad in the grocery store, on camera and all that. I was like, “Bruh, look. Chill out.” So he’s like, “You’re going to LSU, right? YOU’RE GOING TO LSU, RIGHT?” I’m like, “Bruh, I don’t know yet, I’m taking all my visits. You have a good day.”

And he was like, “Oh, aight. But, look, you’re going to LSU. Go Tigers.” That’s the craziest moment I ever had. That was funny, though. My grandma, she don’t know about no football. She was like, “Who was that guy you were talking to? Looked like y’all was getting in an argument.” I was like, “We ain’t getting in no argument, Grandma.” Some people are outta their minds sometimes about this stuff.

From your perspective, what do people — whether it’s fans or media — not understand about this recruiting process?

Shearin: I think they don’t understand how we really are kids. We’re 17, 18. There’s some kids getting recruited that are 15, 16 years old. They’re just kids. And kids are gonna be kids.

Cain: And at the same time, there’s a lot of recruits that ruin it for us. They just do ignorant stuff. Like why are you posting a top 20? Why are you posting a top 13? Pick one school, man. Even a top 10 is a lot.

Curry: Some of these guys commit like three times.

Shearin: They’re really doing it for the clout. Clout chasing.

Cain: There’s a lot of recruits that do stuff that’s so immature. I mean, everybody grows up differently. Everybody doesn’t have the same guidance. But at the same time, a lot of recruits do stuff that makes fans hate recruits sometimes. You’ve got to control your own destiny and how you want them to view you as a recruit. Are you gonna be a recruit that’s just childish and not taking this stuff seriously and being playful? Or are you gonna be a mature recruit and take it step by step and take it seriously?

Cain will be very successful in life.

IT update on Ojomo:

- Moro Ojomo: It's a high-ankle sprain and a likely broken foot. The X-rays have not come back yet due to swelling. I think they'll find out today or tomorrow. He was in a ton of pain but this could be something that looked and sounded worse than it was. He was in a lot of pain. 

10 minutes ago, gordogg24p said:

Two of those guys were hardline Team Strong, and the other would've spent so much time suspended from the team this year that it would've been dumb to stay to improve draft stock.

Yep, and Hill has been great with the Vikings this year, talent was never the issue with him. 

If we can't land that JUCO RB with our depth chart there is something very wrong. We better wrap keontay in bubble wrap for both camps. He might be our only RB.

We could be in a position of actually needing to get carries out of Kirk Johnson next year.

Edited by RabidM

6 minutes ago, RabidM said:

If we can't land that JUCO RB with our depth chart there is something very wrong. We better wrap keontay in bubble wrap for both camps. He might be our only RB.

We could be in a position of actually needing to get carries out of Kirk Johnson next year.

Walk-ons are going to get a shit-load of carries in the spring game.

9 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Beating SC and OU for California kids is no lay-up.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

By: Eric Nahlin, Justin Wells, and Joe Cook

Can you feel it? National Signing Day is almost here. The anxiousness is nauseating and intoxicating at the same time. If you’re a coach at a college football program, multiply that by 10.

What We've Heard and Think on Remaining Targets

Trey Sanders, RB - IMG Academy (FL).

What EN thinks: A confluence of factors have gone towards making this one impossible to read in front of or behind the scenes: His talent, the fact Alabama and Georgia are in an arms race and have needs to fill in the class, his brother being at Florida, etc. Some others too, if you're not naive. A lot of the confusion stems from Trey telling people one thing, father something else, and then his mother doing the same. So there are a lot of mixed messages out there. Bama has led, then faded, and now I hear it's right back at the top. Funny how that works. My best source says if Bama offers DJ Williams then Sanders is probably headed elsewhere. If Bama doesn't offer Williams, then it's probably Bama. Georgia is now looking to have faded -- as much as a motivated school can in this one -- and may end up with Williams. I don't believe Florida is out of it as much as some of the writers in that region but I certainly wouldn't call them the favorite. My best source on this one doesn't take Texas serious as a contender for reasons you should be able to glean. "Alabama or Georgia aren't going to let Texas come here and walk out with Trey Sanders." And then he laughed at me. Nobody should fault Texas for swinging for the fences, and nobody is saying they wasted their time. Tom Herman didn't hire Stan Drayton to land anything but the best.

What JW thinks: When you go big-game deer hunting you want to land a 14-point whitetail. Trey Sanders is a beautiful buck. He'll fit into any offense with his elite speed, quickness, balance, and natural running backness. Sanders really boils down to this; if Alabama wants him bad enough, they'll get him. While Georgia, Florida, and Texas brought 30/30s to this hunt, Nick Saban has his trust Roll Tide elephant gun. But don't get it twisted, Texas made this interesting and might've shown signs they are ready to battle the big boys in the southeast for southeast talent.

At the end of the day: Sanders has applied to one school and it isn't UT. This one probably comes down to Alabama and Georgia and may not be decided until the 11th hour. Texas landing Sanders would be the biggest shock in our years of following recruiting. He'll announce on Wednesday.

Bru McCoy, ATH - Mater Dei HS (CA).

What EN thinks: Last night a little birdie told me, that as a school, McCoy likes UT more than USC. "I know that for real, without a doubt, he likes Texas more." That doesn't come from a UT source, btw. The problem is closeness, not only to the USC campus but also members of the USC roster. The source reiterated what I've said, that if UT was the nearby school this would have been done a long time ago. While that'll hardly make fans feel better, it's instructive on how the staff needs to sell McCoy over the next few weeks. Sell them on the substance behind the decision. Stability is also a huge plus in UT's favor. I don't have brand new information stemming from his recent USC visit, that will trickle to me in the coming days, but even with the buzz surrounding USC I can't count out the staff here. The distance between his USC official visit and announcement on January 5th helps. If the staff can pull Marcus Washington away from family trying to keep him close to home, I think the staff has a chance to pull McCoy from Helton and some former teammates.

What JW thinks: Another beautiful prospect that every school wants but only a few have a real shot at. Texas did an incredible job in this recruitment, regardless of the outcome. The spring UOV was "like an OV" to McCoy. The actual OV couldn't have gone better, thrashing the Men of Troy in front of 100K+. It was at that point the Horns hooked the McCoy family and just needed to reel him in. Problem is, it was in September, not December. UT will have a few weeks to put the finishing touches on this one, and the staff is surprisingly confident here. That's the real tell.

At the end of the day: USC-Texas battle. Announcing at the Army AA game on 1/5/18.

Noah Cain, RB - IMG Academy (FL) via Denton Guyer (TX).

What EN thinks: Noah's really good at this recruiting thing, which should come as no surprise seeing as how he's been recruited since junior high. He's been able to keep staffs and writers on their toes for the better part of two years. Just when you think you know where Cain is going, he shifts directions. Part of me thinks he's not fond of the world assuming he's going to end up at Penn State ahead of his big announcement. Could Cain have something up his sleeve? While I affix the tinfoil atop my head, the thought occurs to me. The smart money seems to be on Cain to Penn State, but if I had smart money, I'd have more money. I'm not ruling out a surprise here, though Penn State is more likely than Texas.

What JW thinks: Cain is recruiting savvy. That's great pre-Signing Day, but he might learn the definition of de-recruiting once he appears on a college campus in mid-January. Cain isn't Sanders-level, but still a great four-star RB made for inside zone, a Texas staple. Cain is also the quintessential "if we land him, here's how good he can be; if we don't land him, here's how average he can be." Moving to Florida for his final two years of college got him in that SEC mindset, which might be what sends him to Happy Valley. If Texas already had a RB1 in this class, I honestly wouldn't care.

At the end of the day: It’s been a fun ride, but not likely. He'll announce on Wednesday.

Caleb Johnson, LB - Fullerton College.

What EN thinks: A Colorado source told me, "I think it's down to us and you guys (UT)." That's to be expected, especially after Colorado hired former Georgia defensive coordinator Mel Tucker. You know Tucker referred to Caleb as Roquan for 48 hours straight. The intel here is Texas feels as good about Johnson now as it did before the visit. This would potentially be the biggest immediate get of the entire class if he emerges as a quality starter next season.

What JW thinks: For the longest stretch, it looked like it would be Texas with no real competition. Then his highlight tape went viral and Oregon, Arkansas, and Colorado, among others, quickly threw their hat in the ring. Then Johnson took his OV to Austin almost two months ago, and it made the right impression. But after the Ducks, Hogs, and Buffaloes made their recruiting pitch, I think Caleb searched his heart and found a spot that remained burnt orange. He's more important to this class than most realize and he knows it. That was tremendous for the good guys.

At the end of the day: Looking good, Billy Ray. He'll announce tonight, ink on Wednesday.

Kennedy Lewis, WR - Melissa.

What EN thinks: I'm sure Tom Herman looked at Kennedy Lewis and said he won a lot of ball games at Houston with players who weren't as good. Lewis will require some physical development but his composite of speed, size, and ability to get separation would offer the staff something different at Z. Remember, Lewis not only won over the TCU staff in camp settings but also the Texas coaches. His most recent senior tape should stir up some excitement, if UT can land him. That's a very small if.

What JW thinks: Lewis first appeared in Austin during an on-campus summer camp. He made an impression on a handful of UT staffers, enough to offer soon after.

At the end of the day: Feeling good, Louis! He'll announce on Tuesday and put pen to paper on Wednesday.

Jalen Catalon, DB - Mansfield Legacy.

What EN thinks: The good news here is Texas has another month to recruit Catalon. Most importantly, that should mean a Tom Herman in-home visit where he can continue trying to win over over Catalon's parents. Those parents have emerged as a bigger factor in the recruitment than I initially measured for. TCU's feelings have aligned with UT's in thinking Arkansas is the leader. Having two teammates committed there and in his ear every day sure helps Arkansas, but, they are 2-10 and with wins over Eastern Illinois and Tulsa. I don't think this recruitment is yet decided and I think Jalen would prefer UT, though his teammates are headed to Fayetteville and his parents would prefer him at the hometown school.

What JW thinks: This Austin official visit weekend might have moved the needle ever so slightly, which is all the Horns can hope for at this time. He had a great time with the players, his parents spent quality time with Tom Herman and Craig Naivar, so UT went to the plate swinging. I'll have a section on him later in the Scoop, but I'd give Arkansas the lead, still, with TCU and Texas still in the mix, in that order. This kid was made for the Big 12, and deep down he knows it. But the parents will have a strong say when it's all said and done. So there's that.

At the end of the day: Great team effort, just likely not enough. He'll announce on 1/19/19, a few days after his OV to the land of Horny Toads.

Isaiah Hookfin, OL - Sugar Land Dulles

What EN thinks: Baylor's surge has been quite the surprising development, but not entirely shocking given UT's sell of redshirt and develop versus Baylor telling him he'll be able to play early. In light of Mike Williams departing early because he wasn't satisfied with playing time as a freshman, I'm sure the staff made their intentions clear they intended to take their time with him. Anybody who has seen his build knows he isn't ready for Saturdays. I'm sticking with Texas over Baylor but it’s closer than I thought.

What JW thinks: This looked like a slam dunk for the longest, and despite a few Baylor mods screaming "double down,” this isn't the Blackjack table at the boats in Shreveport. This is Austin vs Waco. Herman vs Rhule. Horns vs Bears. Advantage: Burnt orange. Every cycle has a few players that do this...and every cycle Eric and I do our best to identify what is rumor and actual smoke. In this case, Horns' fans might've been worried for no good reason.

At the end of the day: Texas-Baylor battle, but still feel like his house will be colored orange. Announcing on Wednesday.

Elijah Higgins, WR - Austin Bowie.

What EN thinks: When he told Justin he was accepted to Stanford a couple of months ago, it immediately caught my attention. It was perhaps the single most informative quote of the cycle. I think Texas is squarely, squarely in this one and may even pull it off. A month or two ago I predicted Texas would land one of McCoy, Higgins, or Garrett Wilson. With both Higgins and McCoy still in play, I'll stick to that prediction.

What JW thinks: Some kids enjoy the recruiting process a little too much, at the expense of coaches and reporters who choose this profession. At the same time, it's probably the biggest decision of their young lives and they want to be thorough. That's Higgins. When he was accepted to Stanford, the thought was he'd immediately join the Cardinal C/O 2019. That didn't happen. What did transpire was UT's increased pursuit of the 6-foot-3, 230-pound local stud. Drew Mehringer started getting closer to Higgins and his father. Then Jason Washington was added for support, which is what your best recruiter is often asked to do late in the cycle. As many times as we've tried to shut the door on this recruitment, Elijah keeps leaving the door open.

At the end of the day: He told IT on Friday he'll decide within the "next four days." Stanford-Texas battle. Of late UT has been losing these to the Tree, but ask us again in 48 hours.

Andrew Coker, OL - Katy Taylor (TCU)

What EN thinks: Coker's house is somewhat divided. He took the trip to Austin because his father is advocating Texas, but his mother wants him to stick with his TCU pledge. There's nothing wrong with being a mama's boy. At this time I think he'll stick with his pledge to the Horned Frogs.

What JW thinks: Over a year ago, I watched an overweight, out of shape offensive lineman from the Katy area that was less than impressive. Then Coker got motivated. He lost baby fat, started burying himself in the playbook, and locking himself in the weight room. Then Herb Hand caught a glance of the 6-foot-5, 330-pounder in the spring and decided he was worth the effort. Texas getting him on campus last weekend was big, just not big enough.

At the end of the day: Another great team effort, but likely a Frog. He'll sign on Wednesday.

Deondrick Glass, RB - Katy

What EN thinks: If Texas misses on Noah Cain and Trey Sanders, the staff will likely start hard-pressing for the Katy running back. Deondrick and his father seem to be prideful and where other schools have recruited them consistently, there was a long lull between the family hearing from Texas. Not that they complained about that, they just went about their business. To this point there aren't strong relationships in place for Texas to lean on. He's set to announce in mid-January so if Texas needs to go all in, it'll have to work fast. At this point I'd guess he ends up at Oklahoma State.

What JW thinks: Glass was always a Texas fan, and still might be. If the staff decides to prioritize him, I love UT's chances. If they don't, the kid I bumped into on the sidelines in Stillwater last October might make a home north of the Texas border. Talent wise, he's somewhere between Rodney Anderson and Kyle Porter. Call it a hunch, but I think Glass winds up in Austin.

At the end of the day: Visiting in January, when RB recruiting becomes clearer, so will this recruitment. He's announcing in mid-January.

WE'RE ALMOST THERE

Myron Warren...the 6-foot-4, 235-pound defensive end's affinity for the Longhorns was reinforced after the last few days. The closer we get to NSD, the more likely LSU completely misses on the Texas commit and underrated talent from Da Boot.

“My official visit was amazing," Warren said. "It was great hanging out with the recruiters I have strong relationships with, and the players, it was fun. My recruitment has been crazy and fun but I’ve found a home.”

Warren told me he intends on signing on Wednesday after saying he'd wait until February. At the end of the day, LSU will realize its mistake and TCU will continue to hate the Horns after Texas flat-out stole this kid.

Jalen Catalon...the 5-foot-9 multi-sport star finally took that OV to Austin. It was his 6th or 7th trip to the ATX since February. Texas is pushing all its chips to the center of the table. They have to.

“The visit was great and enjoyed being with the players and coaches," said Catalon. "My recruitment has been crazy for sure but blessed to be in the position.”

There was some buzz Sunday evening that Texas made up some ground with Catalon, but with his OV to TCU in mid-January and waiting to announce until closer to NSD2, any momentum might not matter a month from now. Still, shooters gotta shoot.

Chris Adimora...the safety from Mayfair, California made a return trip to his future home and was simply glowing all weekend.

“You know Texas is Texas,” said Adimora. “This visit didn’t do anything to my recruitment but put my personal stamp on things to say. I aint going nowhere and I'm here to stay. I'm crazy proud to be a Longhorn, being committed for almost seven months now and I still feel the same energy I did from my first time on the 40 acres. But extremely excited for Wednesday, pushing me one step closer to my dream and one more step closer into reality.”

Great answer. He said it all.

De'Gabriel Floyd...the leader of #fUTure19, Floyd's allegiance to the Longhorns isn't normal in today's recruiting game. Committed early, reached out to multiple targets on multiple occasions, pushed UT behind the scenes and on stage, and fills one of the most important positions in the program.

“Man, it was something great, as always,” Floyd said. "We just kicked it with the gang and the other commits and just had fun. Our class will be legendary.”

Enough said.

Kennedy Lewis....While we wait for about 24 hours before he announces his future intentions, just know Lewis has handled this recruitment, the ups and downs, about as well as a kid can.

Once Texas decided Peyton Powell was no longer a member of the C/O 2019, the 6-foot-3 pass-catcher from Melissa gave UT a call. He was supposed to catch a flight the next day to Washington for an OV, but plans quickly changed.

“No, I just canceled the UW trip,” Lewis told IT last Thursday. “I’m going to sign on Wednesday.” But he’ll be announcing tomorrow (Tuesday).

It's down to four schools for the 3-star's services and each offer something unique and different. I asked him for one word to describe each.

“Baylor: Education,

Texas: Family,

Florida: Chomp,

Washington: Beautiful."

With his 6’3-6’4 frame, 10.7 100 stride, and big-play ability would be a welcome sight in Tom Herman’s offense. One more day, y'all.

JORDAN WHITTINGTON

The 2019 Cuero WR Jordan Whittington knew this was his last chance at a ring. As the most talented player on a 4A team, he knew he needed to perform against Silsbee in order to get his team to the UIL State finals for the first time in his career.

He performed in order to help the Gobblers to a place they’ve been to at least once each decade since the 70s. Per the Victoria Advocate, Whittington had seven carries for 38 yards and a score, five receptions for 60 yards, was 2-of-2 passing including a 70-yard touchdown pass to his brother Devin, and recorded two picks with one returned 103 yards on a Silsbee two-point try.

“We had that planned all week,” Whittington said Friday about throwing a TD pass to his brother. “Watching him run down and score, I don’t know. I love that boy.”

Cuero has made deep runs throughout Whittington’s career, but this is the first opportunity for his Gobblers at a state title in his career. Before moving on to attend and play football at Texas, this was something Whittington wanted to achieve.

“We’ve been working for it,” Whittington said. “This senior class since seventh grade, we’ve all been together. We finally got it. I’m glad it was our last year. It feels way better.”

Now, the Gobblers have to go through Pleasant Grove for the 4A Division II state crown.

“It’s overwhelming, but I’m determined,” Whittington said. “We know we can’t get big heads and get caught in all the hype. We’ve got to win this game.”

The turnaround for Whittington after Saturday will be quick. The 6-1 receiver plans to enroll early at Texas.

“I’ve been waiting,” Whittington said of playing at Texas. “It’s something I’ve dreamed about since I was little, playing college football and it turned into a reality, just like the state championship. This game is going to turn into a reality, and I’ve got to thank God for it.”

I'll have more on some top 2020 targets - Zach Evans, Damieon George, Alec Bryant - later this week.

All of the RB stuff makes me ragey. No way Evans gets out of SEC country due to $$$, DJ Williams will split schools with Evans most likely between Bama and UGA, not likely on Cain because pedo state, Glass is somewhere between Rodney Anderson and Kyle Porter (big fucking gap guys), but Glass is upset that we havent prioritized him and we have no relationships with them. 

Of note on the WR targets: Bru likes us more, but not 1,400 Miles more. Elijah Higgins, who happens to be 6'3 230.. is our other WR target worth mentioning. Problem is, he won't ever see the field at receiver at that size unless he doesn't gain a single pound over the next 4 years.  

This is shaping up to be awesome and we should all be proud that we came in second for so many top national targets?

giphy.gif    

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

All of the RB stuff makes me ragey. No way Evans gets out of SEC country due to $$$, DJ Williams will split schools with Evans most likely between Bama and UGA, not likely on Cain because pedo state, Glass is somewhere between Rodney Anderson and Kyle Porter (big fucking gap guys), but Glass is upset that we havent prioritized him and we have no relationships with them. 

Of note on the WR targets: Bru likes us more, but not 1,400 Miles more. Elijah Higgins, who happens to be 6'3 230.. is our other WR target worth mentioning. Problem is, he won't ever see the field at receiver at that size unless he doesn't gain a single pound over the next 4 years.  

This is shaping up to be awesome and we should all be proud that we came in second for so many top national targets?

giphy.gif    

Williams might end up at Auburn, actually.

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

giphy.gif    

*Sanders not Evans

Just now, Fud said:

Who do we think is playing nickel over him? 

Nickel guys on the depth chart:

• Thompson
  • Jamison? (maybe?)

Green, Cook, Boyce are outside guys I think?

that's kind of the issue and why Catalon is important? evidently they think he can play there (per IT guys IIRC)

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Nickel guys on the depth chart:

• Thompson
  • Jamison? (maybe?)

Green, Cook, Boyce are outside guys I think?

that's kind of the issue and why Catalon is important? evidently they think he can play there (per IT guys IIRC)

The way we currently utilize our nickel, I don't think Jamison can hold up in the run game 

Brown probably can't cover slot receivers down the field well enough

Thompson makes the most sense. If he gets hurt, then it might have to be Sterns or maybe Cook

• Like 1