Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

EN Comment on Jake Smith

Spoiler

Ridiculous acceleration. Has the traits to be a devastating route runner which will be really unfair when they motion him around and get match-ups on lesser coverage players.

He’s going to play X, Z, H, RB, PR, and KR.

Between he and Whittington, the staff landed two of the best pound for pound pure football players in the country.

additional: Yep. He needs carries. Solid, dense build.

We’re going to see how creative this staff is. That might be the only thing that limits Smith.

6 hours ago, Ramdiesel said:

It's  Arizona, I would be skeptical of some of the competition his team played against.   He is really fast though.

He is great on offense but lackadaisical on defense.  He seems content to just tackle the guy rather than rip the ball out and score. 

10 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

That is the fastest white boy I have ever seen in my life. It's like he's on fast forward the whole tape.

Too young to see Bobby Morrow, white lightnin from San Benito, TX  I guess. 3 gold medals 1956 Olympics. Luckily I was too young also, although I did see him around 1980 when I was 16.  I'm pretty sure I could have whipped his ass in about any race between 40 meters and a marathon that day.

10 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

What is going on these last two pages? People are happy? Am I still on surly? 

It’s clear to our fans, regardless of rankings, Texas is getting Day One game changers in Smith, Whittington, Brown, Floyd, and Owens. 

You add in Washington, TJohnson, Roshon, KWatson, and developmental guys like Warren, Sweat, Hookfin, and Mpagi, and this is starting to look like a competitive playoff roster.

Pretty incredible what Herman has achieved in two years, and what CDC has done in one. 🤘🏻

Edited by BigBenBamboozle
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

It’s clear to our fans, regardless of rankings, Texas is getting Day One game changers in Smith, Whittington, Brown, Floyd, and Owens. 

You add in Washington, TJohnson, Roshon, KWatson, and developmental guys like Warren, Sweat, Hookfin, and Mpagi, and this is starting to look like a competitive playoff roster.

Pretty incredible what Herman has achieved in two years, and what CDC has done in one. 🤘🏻

Add the 2 JUCO guys to day one game changers.

9 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Id tape the brakes a bit. Owens is not a day 1 contributor, much less a game changer. Caden Sterns dont grow on trees and we arent getting 5 of them. Smith, and maybe whittington MAYBE. He had to adjust from a smaller district. If floyd is just average at lb its a huge boon, i dont think hes a day 1 game changer. And I dont think its ever a safe bet to call a true freshman OL a game changer. Well be lucky if hes serviceable as a true fish. Connor Williams was a freshman all american but he wasnt a game changer at tackle man. 

Unless your definition of Day One Game Changer is “these guys will play and maybe not suck like typical freshman.”

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Don't think Owens is going to be a game changer day one.  Supremely talented and also supremely raw.  Plus, he's got a number of extremely talented safeties in front of him.  Derrian Brown will see a good bit of playing time out of necessity, but I don't see him as a game changer.  Hope I'm wrong on that one.  I actually think T Johnson has a chance to start from day 1.  We don't have many guys like him on the roster and he is a EE.  He's got a chance to lock down a spot by the end of spring.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Id tape the brakes a bit. Owens is not a day 1 contributor, much less a game changer. Caden Sterns dont grow on trees and we arent getting 5 of them. Smith, and maybe whittington MAYBE. He had to adjust from a smaller district. If floyd is just average at lb its a huge boon, i dont think hes a day 1 game changer. And I dont think its ever a safe bet to call a true freshman OL a game changer. Well be lucky if hes serviceable as a true fish. Connor Williams was a freshman all american but he wasnt a game changer at tackle man. 

Unless your definition of Day One Game Changer is “these guys will play and maybe not suck like typical freshman.”

Insert pissingInCherrios.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree with most of this, although it's interesting you give the maybe qualifier to Whittington but not Smith, who probably played against worse competition. Additionally, Whittington is enrolling early and should get a jump start on his role.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I agree with most of this, although it's interesting you give the maybe qualifier to Whittington but not Smith, who probably played against worse competition. Additionally, Whittington is enrolling early and should get a jump start on his role.

Listen, I'm a fan like anyone else here, and it's pretty easy to look at Smith's film, regardless of level of competition, and it just seem so goddamn comparatively fast it looks like the guy is shot out of a cannon. But you make great points on Whittington. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I don't see why Owens is labeled as raw. He was raw as a junior, but as a senior he didn't look any more raw than your typical P5 safety prospect. 

Well, it's hard to shake the raw label when damn near every report that came out of his all star game was "Raw" and "amazing athlete but needs a lot of work to maximize his potential," etc. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, it's hard to shake the raw label when damn near every report that came out of his all star game was "Raw" and "amazing athlete but needs a lot of work to maximize his potential," etc. 

And then you watch the game and see very inconsistent play.  On some plays his athleticism on full display and others his lack of experience leading to TDs by the opposition.  He's a fabulous talent and has a chance to be a special player.  Luckily, we don't need him to start for us and he should have proper time to develop.

I hope we have been doing a better job with our roster to the point where none of these freshman need to be day 1 starters. We have one receiver slot on offense up for grabs and two linebacker spots. Just based on that Floyd has the best chance to be a day 1 starter but I still think he will just be in the rotation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I hope we have been doing a better job with our roster to the point where none of these freshman need to be day 1 starters. We have one receiver slot on offense up for grabs and two linebacker spots. Just based on that Floyd has the best chance to be a day 1 starter but I still think he will just be in the rotation. 

The days of having a dozen freshman starting or significantly contributing are gone. This year, Sterns was the only freshman to start, and that had more to do with his talent than our need.

Just now, Newy25 said:

Agreed.  We also have a couple CB spots in play as well as a few OL spots.  If we're going to have a freshman phenom this year I suspect it will be Whittington for the reasons mentioned previously.  He has a massive opportunity and he's coming in early.  Other positions there's a ton of competition already on campus or in the same recruiting class.  D. Brown might be another, but I'm not completely sold there.

I think many will play in year one, some will start. I think if not week one, at some point the slot will be a FR. Agree with Floyd as potential starter as well. With the others, I like the idea of sitting back and seeing how good our returning players are becoming and how quickly these new ones push.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

The reports and watching him get scored on.

He also might have had the most interceptions in group practices. I know he had two in one day, and one the next. I saw clip of him carrying Whittington down the field on a fade route. 

I think people are saying "raw" instead of "he's currently good, but he has a ton of room until he hits his ceiling". But whatever, I'll quit bitching. 

1 minute ago, thepop said:

Ah yeah, didn't think about special teams. Point stands though. Those 2 guys will be starting for the next 3 years.

Well, one of them for sure.  Do agree with your overall premise.  Roster management is much, much better as is our recruiting/evaluation.  We're still a year away in my view, but it's going to be much harder for a true freshman to come in and make major waves.  And that's great news.

4 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Agreed.  We also have a couple CB spots in play as well as a few OL spots.  If we're going to have a freshman phenom this year I suspect it will be Whittington for the reasons mentioned previously.  He has a massive opportunity and he's coming in early.  Other positions there's a ton of competition already on campus or in the same recruiting class.  D. Brown might be another, but I'm not completely sold there.

I did not list CB or OL spots as up for grabs because we know who is likely to fill those spots already. Same for TE. 

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Has there ever been an amazing athlete that wasn't raw, or an incredibly polished guy that wasn't slow?

Too many to name...  Amon-Ra St Brown immediately comes to mind.  Amazing athlete, wasn't raw, very polished and definitely not slow.  

Edited by Stampeder

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Has there ever been an amazing athlete that wasn't raw, or an incredibly polished guy that wasn't slow?

Washington is pretty polished and I wouldn't call him slow.

Sterns was also described as college-ready before enrolling. He's not track star like Brandon Jones, but nobody calls him slow.

4 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Well, one of them for sure.  Do agree with your overall premise.  Roster management is much, much better as is our recruiting/evaluation.  We're still a year away in my view, but it's going to be much harder for a true freshman to come in and make major waves.  And that's great news.

Do you think Buj will leave after his junior year too? Jk, but I do think he improved as the season went on and i'm sure he'll be fine. Not Dickson good but good enough.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

He also might have had the most interceptions in group practices. I know he had two in one day, and one the next. I saw clip of him carrying Whittington down the field on a fade route. 

I think people are saying "raw" instead of "he's currently good, but he has a ton of room until he hits his ceiling". But whatever, I'll quit bitching. 

As crazy as it sounds, a guy who gives up a fair number of easy TDs could still be a valuable piece to have on the board against a team like 2018 OU if he does indeed get INTs. The way to beat OU is to get a few stops by whatever means. Slowing their progress by breaking up a pass can lead to a kick, but tended to lead to first downs on subsequent plays for them last year. When solid reliable play generally means the D is on the field longer but gives up 6, a high beta guy makes a certain sense.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Point taken on Owens.  I also didn't list Tyler Johnson as Day One.  I think Floyd will bring a mentality that you can't teach from the moment he steps on campus.  I'd agree with Fud that Whittington may be the safest bet for the beginning of next season as an EE.  

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I did not list CB or OL spots as up for grabs because we know who is likely to fill those spots already. Same for TE. 

Cook likely has one CB spot nailed down.  Most feel J. Green has more natural talent and is the likely starter at the other corner.  But he got very little playing time and I'm not sure he's more talented than K. Watson.  To me, at least one CB is very much up for grabs.  On the O-Line, we got three spots to fill and a number of developmental guys.  T Johnson might be able to come in as a EE and nail down one of those spots.  I think he's the most talented OL we have on the roster at this point.