Texas recruiting notes 2019

Just now, golfclap said:

Brown is a scheme fit. He's going to be very successful in this offense. 

Is there not a fucking mod specifically for the recruiting board yet?  Between you stupid motherfuckers talking religion/dead languages and the idiot hordes that wandered over from the football board after the UGA thumping...  

release the fucking ban hammer and give it to a decent regular poster from this board so that we can get rid of this tripe. 

Apparently someone got a post removed for being off topic. Would probably be easier if @blacklab or @immamac would just drop a blanket warning.

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Is there not a fucking mod specifically for the recruiting board yet?  Between you stupid motherfuckers talking religion/dead languages and the idiot hordes that wandered over from the football board after the UGA thumping...  

release the fucking ban hammer and give it to a decent regular poster from this board so that we can get rid of this tripe. 

I don't think immamac is going to be a big fan of booting off football board people who wander stumble into this thread like the graceless bull dykes they are...

But I think we can all agree that if there is one level headed regular on this board that should be given the right to ban the unwashed masses and the HtownHorns and zTejas's of the world, it is myself. 

tenor.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

So we have an old-fashioned source-off on Buechele.

CTJ is saying he's transferring (destination SMU).

Chip Brown says he's transferring, destination unknown.

Justin Wells says he's leaning towards staying. Wells also says Brandon Jones will stay (and I do trust him on this one).

Given that I don't do this for a living, it's a tough comparison. I have a few friends from different areas that for one reason or another are privy to stuff, and sometimes they're cool if I pass something on to the board, because, hey, who gives a fuck and its entertaining and they follow it. The problem with all of that is that my stuff doesn't always stay current and I don't try to stay on top of it.

I was declaratively told Buechele was heading to SMU, and so I'll stand on that until I receive better info, publicly or privately. That said, dudes getting paid might be all over things and have fresh info. I do know this, as of very recently, the Buecheles do not speak with Brown or Burton, so Fuck Chip Brown and his alcohol-induced rambles. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I fully expect several freshman to be contributors and lose their shirt but to be starters? Its really hard to see one. The best chance we have is one of our receivers can become a starter later on in the season or Floyd to be in the heavy linebacker rotation. 

The two JUCOs or any grad transfer we sign are entirely different. 

I'm interested to see how aggressive Herman is with managing his depth chart and letting the best man play. Swinney and Saban have turned that angle into a virtue, whereas Mack Brown and many others would allow a guy to continue to start, even when it was clear the younger guy behind the starter was the better player. Many other coaches fall victim to the same sentimental shit. Herman hasn't acquitted himself well on this front across all positions, but we've seen it with some.

The personnel choices have, at times, been indefensible in the first two years at places like TE (vs a 4th WR in much of 2017), TB (Kyle Porter in 2017 and then letting him burn us against Maryland again in 2018 at crunch time), OT (Nicholson throughout 2017), B-Backer (2017 for much of the year with Nashon Hughes), and DE (Hagar in 2018). 

In other spots, such as WR rotation in 2018, Sterns at FS in 2018, Ehlinger in 2017, and Ingram later in 2018, it appears as though the younger guy(s) have matter of factly taken the mantle. Recruits are watching this stuff, so I think decisions around it, and new examples of "best man wins" are important every year. 

All of that considered, one spot that is not being discussed much is TE. As it sits now, Brewer and Leitao have earned nothing and each have their flaws. We're not expecting Liebrock to show up ready, but he's not facing proven worldbeaters. I could see him or Daniel Young trumping the expected options at the Beck A-back duty replacement. 

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

A entire year in the system is a "significant experience advantage." And yes, Green does have a skills advantage, which is why he was the number 1 player in Texas last year. Watson flashed at an all-star game and showed promise. If cook, green, boyce and thompson stay healthy, I'd bet dollars to donuts Watson redshirts. You're spider2ybanana'ing Watson here. 

Which I acknowledged in my post. Watson may rise to a top-100 national player. He's not going to be a top-20 national recruit.

Something that is not getting much daylight is the reality that both Watson and Brown have been punished in the rankings due to lack of pursuit from local SEC/ACC players. If Georgia had been a real player in either recruitment, they'd be regarded more highly. Same for Auburn, Bama, Clemson, or Florida pursuing them. Both have some degree of artficial depression to their rankings due to the nature of their recruitment. It's ironic for Texas.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Something that is not getting much daylight is the reality that both Watson and Brown have been punished in the rankings due to lack of pursuit from local SEC/ACC players. If Georgia had been a real player in either recruitment, they'd be regarded more highly. Same for Auburn, Bama, Clemson, or Florida pursuing them. Both have some degree of artficial depression to their rankings due to the nature of their recruitment. It's ironic for Texas.

Does this apply to Tillman as well? Of all our recruits, he's the biggest unknown to me.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Does this apply to Tillman as well? Of all our recruits, he's the biggest unknown to me.

Not to me. He's a straight "my evaluation is better than what anyone else thinks and he'll prove that" play. His measurables look great and they like his brain, but it's not like he just shredded the competition and has a depressed ranking because FSU and UF ignored him. His ranking is low because Texas thinks they know better, not because regional players were ignoring him. So I feel like there's a big difference there, but when I type it, it looks like hokum or nuance. Probably better explained verbally, which isn't happening. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

At least you're not the poster on this thread who said he has a long stride in the open field. He actually has a very short stride once he gets going. Nothing necessarily inherently wrong with that, but it does seem like some people are seeing some things on this film that aren't there.

Now, he does run hard, keeps his feet moving, runs with a pronounced forward lean, and shows good hands and natural pass catching ability. He may end up being a great fit for this offense.

Well fuck me.  I’m a complete novice at this.  I should have said his stride lengthens? when he hits the open field.  I was trying to convey that he had choppy steps before daylight and the steps it out well.  I apologize for the mistake in parlance and communication.  I’m trying to join in the conversation instead of lurking all the time.  I may need to rethink that choice.

• Like 1

Just now, Babytime said:

Well fuck me.  I’m a complete novice at this.  I should have said his stride lengthens? when he hits the open field.  I was trying to convey that he had choppy steps before daylight and the steps it out well.  I apologize for the mistake in parlance and communication.  I’m trying to join in the conversation instead of lurking all the time.  I may need to rethink that choice.

Actually you're still saying the opposite of what he does. When he hits the open field his steps become shorter. Lurking might not be the issue. When was the last time you went to an optometrist? 

Derrian Brown is fast. Derrian Brown will work hard in the weight room. Derrian Brown is determined. Derrian Brown will listen to the coaches and will get better each day. Derrian Brown will make good grades. Derrian Brown is the missing link. 

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Apparently someone got a post removed for being off topic. Would probably be easier if @blacklab or @immamac would just drop a blanket warning.

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think immamac is going to be a big fan of booting off football board people who wander stumble into this thread like the graceless bull dykes they are...

But I think we can all agree that if there is one level headed regular on this board that should be given the right to ban the unwashed masses and the HtownHorns and zTejas's of the world, it is myself. 

tenor.gif

I had posted a ghostbusters quote in response to all the zoroastowhatever talk. It got removed. I asked why and was told it was reported, he looked and saw that it was off topic, so removed it. Suggested I do the same to all the other posts if i felt so inclined.

so go report all the previous stuff I guess if it bothers you that much, and he will look at it. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I had posted a ghostbusters quote in response to all the zoroastowhatever talk. It got removed. I asked why and was told it was reported, he looked and saw that it was off topic, so removed it. Suggested I do the same to all the other posts if i felt so inclined.

so go report all the previous stuff I guess if it bothers you that much, and he will look at it. 

I'm sorry, by quoting me, were you directing that comment to me? Because I couldn't care less and don't think I've ever reported a post in my life. My post was a joke. 

It's always interesting to see how the incoming freshman "pan out" in comparison to whom this board is really excited about right now. 

LJH didn't get much attention, either positive or negative when he came in.  Although some "analysts" thought he was a terrible take...

Jake Smith seems to be the one of the class favorites.  He looks like a damn good football player to me, but I'm not seeing the elite speed I keep reading about (ducks).  He's got good speed and quickness and runs exceptional routes, but he doesn't have Marquise Goodwin or Hollywood Brown speed.  I think he ends being a really good football player, but I'm not sure he makes as an immediate impact or lives up to some of the expectations I read here.  Malik Jefferson rings a bell in this regard. This happens every year, I'm sure with every fan base.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, sunset87 said:

It's always interesting to see how the incoming freshman "pan out" in comparison to whom this board is really excited about right now. 

LJH didn't get much attention, either positive or negative when he came in.  Although some "analysts" thought he was a terrible take...

Jake Smith seems to be the one of the class favorites.  He looks like a damn good football player to me, but I'm not seeing the elite speed I keep reading about (ducks).  He's got good speed and quickness and runs exceptional routes, but he doesn't have Marquise Goodwin or Hollywood Brown speed.  I think he ends being a really good football player, but I'm not sure he makes as an immediate impact or lives up to some of the expectations I read here.  Malik Jefferson rings a bell in this regard. This happens every year, I'm sure with every fan base.

Bobby Burton says, Hi!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I don't think anyone has claimed Smith has Olympic caliber athleticism (like Goodwin).  What he does have is a combination of speed and quickness this team currently lacks on offense.

27 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Derrian Brown is fast. Derrian Brown will work hard in the weight room. Derrian Brown is determined. Derrian Brown will listen to the coaches and will get better each day. Derrian Brown will make good grades. Derrian Brown is the missing link. 

Related image

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

giphy.gif

Edit: Damnit, Sydney beat me to it. 

Edited by Vertigo

5 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Per Clint Brewster at 247 Lakia Henry to visit on 19th. I assume it is from players side of things.

I am gruntled.

*This could be an incredibly important recruitment if Caleb Johnson's shoulder injury keeps him out the entire spring.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

tenor.gif

You still think the OL will miss Cuney, Anderson, McMillon, and Thomas? Of course you also think hiring the defensive that consistently got torched against competent offensives is a genius move. You are a fucking retard. It's hilarious seeing you and your ass buddy ctj proven wrong time and time again when spouting off your own opinions about football. But not as hilarious as you making fun of posters on other sites, when you 2 dumbshits are the Lotus Horns, icemen, El Machico, or the spurs talk guy of surlyhorns. You guys lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You still think the OL will miss Cuney, Anderson, McMillon, and Thomas? You are a fucking retard.

Lol. This is one of the most absurd of your endless stream of worthless posts. You're just fabricating complete shit out of thin air now and attempting to attribute it to me? That's your play? I mean, if you're going to play that game at least go big. Go with something like "I remember when you said Case McCoy had a 1st round NFL draft arm" or "I remember you telling everyone Kate Beckinsale was a fat hag." 

I'll tell you what, I'll do what no woman in your life has EVER done, and take your post seriously. Now go find a post I've ever made that was positive about Terrell Cuney. I mean, trying to understand your fucking post itself is a beating. Are you saying the line won't miss Calvin Anderson? Are you talking about Garrett Thomas? You're all over the place. But yeah, I've never even remotely posted what I *THINK* you're attempting to suggest. But please, prove me wrong, and go find me posts on here or the scat site. I'll sit here and wait. 

And the fact you even responded to my post at all just tickles me pink, because you can't help yourself. 

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Orlando started following that Rice DT grad transfer. Looks like we have some interest. 

Since I had a weird amount of fun doing it for Hand, here's Orlando's recent follows, sorted:

People we know:

Noa Pola-Gates (hmmmmmm), DJ Ukelele (hmm), Michael Henderson, Darius Snow, Latrell Neville

Current cycle recruits:

Quashon Fuller (unsigned Florida State DE commit): https://247sports.com/player/quashon-fuller-46039291/

Later cycle recruits:

Xavion Alford (2020): https://247sports.com/Player/Xavion-Alford-46051445/

Phillip Webb (2020): https://247sports.com/Player/Phillip-Webb-46054443/

Alex Morrison (2020): https://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Morrison-46053608/

Dayron Butler (2020): http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/dayron-butler-iii/VmjeQC9TEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm

Rob Wooten (2020): https://247sports.com/player/robert-wooten-46048118/

Payton Page (2021): https://247sports.com/Player/Payton-Page-46055295/

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2