Protesters target East Austin restaurant, complain of cultural appropriation

Beau Vine

11 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Huh? This comment is begging for a clarification 

I -> refers to the writer of the post

think -> a verb that shows an expression of an opinion; in this case, the subject is the writer of the post so the writer is expressing an opinion

most -> adjective describing a majority, which means > 50% of a population

agree -> to believe the same thing about a topic (a verb)

America -> a country in North America

has -> third person indicative passive verb

no -> a negative that negates 

indigenous -> an adjective describing a native people

people -> plural of persons

since -> preposition that indicates "because"

everyone -> all people (noun)

came -> verb that indicates movement to a place from another

here -> current location

from -> preposition that indicates something's origin

somewhere -> a place unknown (noun)

else -> different from the present

Hope that helps. 

• Like 5

^

valid scientific theory and all, but everybody knows that homo sapiens appeared in two places originally, at the exact same moment---Southwest Africa and East Austin.  

Edited by Lobo

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I -> refers to the writer of the post

think -> a verb that shows an expression of an opinion; in this case, the subject is the writer of the post so the writer is expressing an opinion

most -> adjective describing a majority, which means > 50% of a population

agree -> to believe the same thing about a topic (a verb)

America -> a country in North America

has -> third person indicative passive verb

no -> a negative that negates 

indigenous -> an adjective describing a native people

people -> plural of persons

since -> preposition that indicates "because"

everyone -> all people (noun)

came -> verb that indicates movement to a place from another

here -> current location

from -> preposition that indicates something's origin

somewhere -> a place unknown (noun)

else -> different from the present

Hope that helps. 

My apologies, engaging ragnarok the racist troll was a mistake. 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

valid scientific theory and all, but everybody knows that homo sapiens appeared in two places originally, at the exact same moment---Southwest Africa and East Austin.  

Fair enough. Those are the same scientists that predicted global cooling in 1970s and that global warming would wipe us out by 2010.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

And my Vietnamese Texas fusion restaurant Pho-Que takes a huge step backwards.

There was this place off of 183 where I used to get Bulgogi Tacos, I was never sure who was appropriating who in that place.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, Beau Vine said:

Indigenous activist Louis Moncivias, 53, said he has lived in Austin since his birth and saw both of his grandmothers’ homes outside downtown Austin seized under eminent domain.

Grandparent's homes seized by eminent domain.

Attacks white guy making tacos who pays rent to a Hispanic family.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I don’t GAF bout the murals or any of that shit.
It’s the $22 for a gotdamn roasted chicken that gets my goat. Fucking hipsters think that if they slap enough adjectives on something (“slow roasted, individually curated, free-range, Slappy Creek farmed, Rock Island Red hens”) they can double the price. $22 chickens. $5 tacos. Fuck that shit. I’m going to Pollo Regio.

Also if you mix mango into pico de gallo a white guy with a Yosemite Sam beard and artisan suspenders will ejaculate while he pays $24 for two mediocre street tacos made on 4" corn tortillas.  ???.  Profit.

• Haha 1

Wasn't it considered being open and welcoming to enjoy, promote and adopt from other cultures?  Now it makes you a scumbag thief?  Interesting set of rules.  This is so stupid.  we keep giving people who protest things like this the benefit of the doubt.  "Maybe they really are offended."  At some point you come to the conclusion that certain people just need to have something to bitch about.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 3

Just now, Lhorn said:

At some point to come to the conclusion that certain people just need to have something to bitch about.  

Not to go too CR.....but this.

See the common thread here -- it's where the circle of hardcore Trumpism and angry leftist idiocy comes back on itself.  Identity is best created by having something to oppose/hate/fear.  Some people base their identity on how much they hate vanilla.  Others base it on how much they hate chocolate.  And each extreme thinks the other extreme is the devil incarnate.  When same people everywhere else on the circle looks at their positions and says "Jesus, who gives a fuck?  It's fucking ice cream, order a scoop of whatever you want, and don't order a scoop of what you don't want."

Still.....$5 tacos are a crime against humanity, and should be punished with creative torture.

• Like 3

Identity is best created by having something to oppose/hate/fear.  Some people base their identity on how much they hate vanilla.  Others base it on how much they hate chocolate.  And each extreme thinks the other extreme is the devil incarnate. 

Exactly.  In certain circles victimhood is proudly worn like an identity, a badge of honor.  Being offended, wronged is desirable.  Then you can hashtag your social media posts, have people like them and you are some kind of activist or some shit.  It's detestable, pitiful, loser mentality.  

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not to go too CR.....but this.

See the common thread here -- it's where the circle of hardcore Trumpism and angry leftist idiocy comes back on itself.  Identity is best created by having something to oppose/hate/fear.  Some people base their identity on how much they hate vanilla.  Others base it on how much they hate chocolate.  And each extreme thinks the other extreme is the devil incarnate.  When same people everywhere else on the circle looks at their positions and says "Jesus, who gives a fuck?  It's fucking ice cream, order a scoop of whatever you want, and don't order a scoop of what you don't want."

Still.....$5 tacos are a crime against humanity, and should be punished with creative torture.

maintruedetective.png

Without a doubt, the whole cultural appropriation became some cause célèbre but most never took the time to even question whether someone should be upset.  When that one white woman was passing herself off as black, I think it was legitimate to call her out.  But now some people are applying this attack in every direction they can.   A culture can definitely claim to be the origin of fashion, design, food, style, whatever but that doesn't mean they own it in perpetuity. 

Now if someone take a cultural item and parodies or insults, that's completely different as well.  However I haven't heard of that in this case.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Indigenous activist Louis Moncivias, 53, said he has lived in Austin since his birth and saw both of his grandmothers’ homes outside downtown Austin seized under eminent domain.

https://www.facebook.com/blackfeetAgainstSukapiTimes/

https://corenews.org/2017/08/08/environmental-leader-admits-smuggling-people-across-border/

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Without a doubt, the whole cultural appropriation became some cause célèbre but most never took the time to even question whether someone should be upset.  When that one white woman was passing herself off as black, I think it was legitimate to call her out.  But now some people are applying this attack in every direction they can.   A culture can definitely claim to be the origin of fashion, design, food, style, whatever but that doesn't mean they own it in perpetuity. 

Now if someone take a cultural item and parodies or insults, that's completely different as well.  However I haven't heard of that in this case.

Nobody owns food or fashion or anything that might clue one into a particular ethnicity.   If I wanna open a Chinese or Mexican restaurant, and do it better than an ethnic Chinese or Mexican that's just called capitalism and free enterprise.  

If you don't like other cultures taking your food, maybe you shouldn't be living in a nation of diverse cultural backgrounds. 

• Like 2

I dunno, the more ethnically diverse the country---the more economically equitable and socially judicial it is.  Three most diverse countries on Earth according to every single source?  Uganda, Liberia, and the Congo.  Exactly where you think of when you think of equitable and fair.  

21 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

This, this right here. I'd fully support a protest on a $22 chicken plate.

Pollo Regio, and improved riff of Polo Loco is the fucking shit.

You think that’s bad?

check out Dos Salsas on 1431 in Cedar Park. They have table cloths covered with plate glass and chandeliers. Not to mention charging $12 for an enchilada plate!