5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Even conceding we never know because the cops cover it all up, I'd still doubt the part about the final bullet.  Icono posted a NYT op-ed about Smollett the other day that had the theme "the closer the story tracks to someone's preferred narrative, the more likely it is to be b.s."  I thought that was a good line.  And having Peter Greene shoot the home owners well after the close of action is straight out of Training Day, not my understanding of reality.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, having the lead investigator lie about a CI making a buy at the house, and having two spare bags of heroin stashed in his car at the time of the raid (so, they look exactly like throw-down evidence ready to be planted) is straight out of Training Day....and also looks to be the truth.  So, we're through the f'n looking glass here.

yeah, i'm usually king skeptic, but the details in this case are too far into the looking glass for me to default to doubt. by all appearances, these cops went in trying to set this couple up for jail time to get them a dope on the table bust. that they were willing to set these people up, for reasons i can only assume are selfish, then i can certainly believe that they made sure that after everything went sideways, they made sure the witnesses were dead. 

rumor from another site:

story going around now about what happened: 

Cop high up in HPD has a kid hooked on heroin. Cop's kid buys from and sells for the couple that was killed. High ranking HPD officer goes to Goines and asks him to execute a warrant on the house to take out the couple to help the High ranking officer deal with his kid. Goines gets the no-knock warrant based on a CI that doesn't exist. The imaginary CI is actually the High ranking HPD officer's kid and the tip comes from the high ranking HPD officer. 

All hell breaks loose on the scene. 

Acevedo and the HPD Police Union rally around Goines to protect the high ranking HPD officer that Goines was helping. It will probably all come out now that the FBI is involved.

Not sure about the validity.  One thing that has been hard to understand is why would Goines go after this couple - what was the motive?  They had no priors, apparently no heroin, or apparently anything like a drug distribution center set up at that house.  A personal vendetta of some sort made more sense - and maybe this is the personal part.  

Even if the above rumor is true (that the couple sold drugs), the no-knock is bullshit, and he needs to be serving time for lying to get the warrant, and killing two citizens. Also said high ranking HPD offer needs to be joining him.  If I'm the judge that signed that warrant "I want some some butt!"

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not sure how much sense that makes given that they didn't find any heroin in the house. I'm not much of a drug trade expert, but wouldn't they almost certainly have a decent amount if they're dealers?

yes. in fact, they would likely have much more than the two throw down baggies that were in the cop's car.

the whole thing stinks to high heaven, but that story above doesn't make any sense.

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

An aside on Chief Acevedo- curious how many courtside tickets Art can afford on his $280,000 salary.  

houston-police-chief-art-acevedo-tilman-

In the middle of all this, Art is hanging out courtside with a known cokehead.

Oscar De La Hoya probably had more coke on him when this pic was taken than was found in the house on Harding Street. 

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yes. in fact, they would likely have much more than the two throw down baggies that were in the cop's car.

the whole thing stinks to high heaven, but that story above doesn't make any sense.

It makes more sense when you combine it with the Hardy/Harding theory, but I agree it's still thin.

Occam’s Razor—   Victims probably just pissed off Goines in some minor altercation....over a parking spot or something equally stupid. 

He didn’t even need to suspect drug use to execute this - he carried his own evidence / justification.  They would have “found” heroin even if this had turned out to be mother Theresa’s home  The fact the victims had some pot and coke was a coincidence. 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 4

I'm not buying the rumor about Tuttle selling heroin to the kid of some HPD bigwig. Considering the history of Officer Goines, I think it's far more likely that this was retribution for some perceived slight. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/shootout-fallout-at-hpd-10-sustained-complaints-in-officers-history

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Player said:

I'm not buying the rumor about Tuttle selling heroin to the kid of some HPD bigwig. Considering the history of Officer Goines, I think it's far more likely that this was retribution for some perceived slight. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/shootout-fallout-at-hpd-10-sustained-complaints-in-officers-history

Agree

25 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

The fact the victims had some pot and coke was a coincidence. 

That pot and coke could have easily been planted by a cop or cops who didn't get shot first.

Cokeheads don't leave a gram and half of coke just laying around. They do the coke. Who buys an eight ball, does half of it and says, "I think I'll save that for later"?

Unless they were chopping it up into lines as the cops bust through the door, I'd bet it wasn't theirs.

• Like 1

I don’t think we need too much conspiracy here. Could just be a lazy SOB narcotics officer with no morals.

Call care in about heroin use at that address.
Cop fakes a buy (with help of other officer) to get warrant.
Raid happens and shit goes south before officer can plant drugs.

I do believe the weed was hers. She reportedly smoked a bit to help with her cancer treatments. Not sure if coke was planted or not. The fact that they couldn’t even identify the white powder for a couple days makes me question the validity of that piece of evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

That pot and coke could have easily been planted by a cop or cops who didn't get shot first.

Cokeheads don't leave a gram and half of coke just laying around. They do the coke. Who buys an eight ball, does half of it and says, "I think I'll save that for later"?

Unless they were chopping it up into lines as the cops bust through the door, I'd bet it wasn't theirs.

"Sprinkle a little crack on him and let's get out of here, Johnson."

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

This guy gets it.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Despite my reluctantance to do so, the weed seem likely. I don't recall he exact amount, but it was small. To me, that's as indicative as a 6 pack of beer being found in the fridge.

The "coke".. yeah, not buying it that.

I think I remember reading it was 18 grams. A little over half an ounce, which is consistent with personal use. No evidence of scales or baggies in the house. 

These people were not dealers.

And yeah, some cancer patients smoke weed. They don't usually do coke and heroin.

9 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

An aside on Chief Acevedo- curious how many courtside tickets Art can afford on his $280,000 salary.  

houston-police-chief-art-acevedo-tilman-

Jesus Art is a fat fuck.

Don't remember him being that thick here in Austin.  Must be hittin' that Houston freebie grub pretty fuckin' hard.

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Rich coke heads aren't coke heads. They are rich people.

Let's be clear, our criminal industrial complex is classist first. Just so happens a lot of poor people are also minorities and as such it is racist by default. Which makes profiling a convenient practice.

I'll take things that are true in society but not in rehab for $500 Alex!

A young mother was arrested by Officer Gerald Goines last September. She’s been in jail ever since. Her charges were dismissed and she was released from jail this morning. 

Any word on her likely struggle with CPS?

Sounds like this cop Goines probably put a lot of people through unnecessary misery.

Not sure, but I'm seeing a trend based on another person that has been released from jail. They are lower income minorities with previous arrests.

And there is also this guy.
https://twitter.com/ImJessicaWilley/status/1098790824538722304

Comment raised a good point...where’s that little f’n weasel police union spokesman? He needs to get his ass back in front of the camera that he loves so much.
  • Like 1

Woman arrested by HPD officer Gerald Goines gets case dismissed amid his investigation

Spoiler
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

A hug from her mom has never felt so sweet to Courtney Jacobs. She's been in jail since last September, after Officer Gerald Goines arrested her in an undercover narcotics operation.

Jacobs was released Thursday morning. She sat in jail for five months, unable to make a $20,000 bond, and now her case is dismissed.

"I was like, I'd been doing all this time for nothing. I have constantly been telling my momma, 'This time, I didn't do nothing,'" said Jacobs, who does have a criminal record.

She readily admits she had been legitimately arrested several times in her life, but this is not one of those times.

Jacobs says on Sept. 13, 2018, an undercover officer approached her on Ennis Street, blocks from her home, and started to flirt with her.

"He said, 'Come ride with me.' I said, 'No.' He said, 'Get in, get in. I'm a cool dude,'" she recalled. "He was saying he wanted to party, he wanted to get to know me and squeezed my thigh."

The two drove around in the undercover officer's car for 30 minutes, and at his urging, Jacobs stopped and bought a small amount of pot. Moments later, uniformed officers swooped in.

Jacobs, instead of pot possession, was charged with trying to distribute meth, which she says she did not even have.

"He kept the weed and he charged me with some pills, and I don't even have no pills on me," Jacobs said.

The arresting officer in her case was Goines, who after the disastrous Harding Street raid, is now under investigation.

RELATED: HPD chief said officer from drug raid would be relieved of duty after release from hospital

In all, the District Attorney's office will review 1,400 cases, where Goines was either the arresting officer or the witness of record. Of those, 26 cases are current, with four cases that still have individuals in jail.

Jacobs' case is the first one dismissed.

On Thursday, District Attorney Kim Ogg says she will ask for funding to hire on several more staffers so the cases can be reviewed faster.

"I'll be making an immediate request, to our funding body, the Commissioners Court, for some additional prosecutors to help with the review of the 1,400 cases," said Ogg.

Defense lawyers are pessimistic.

"There are way more than 1,400 cases that need to be reviewed," said attorney Norm Silverman, who represents two of the defendants who have active cases with Goines.

"Okay, we caught this officer. What happened to the checks and balances? What happened to the magistrate that's not supposed to be a rubber stamp? What happened to the system? What you're seeing is people becoming complacent."

As for Jacobs, the mother of two says she hopes the other people arrested under Goines' watch get a full review. For her, she says the case dismissal was a blessing, and an impetus to try and change her life.

"God answered my prayer," she said.

Man says HPD officer linked him to drug house for just being near it

Spoiler

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

Brandon Carter was crashing on his sister's couch when HPD Officer Gerald Goines' narcotics unit tied him to a drug house and charged him with possession of cocaine, codeine and marijuana.

"It was crazy. I couldn't believe it," said Carter, who is out on bond.

Carter says he was on his way back from the store to his sister's house in Sunnyside last September, when he saw some Houston police activity at the corner of Ferdinand and Phlox. He walked closer. Court records show police had just executed a search warrant at a house. An officer confronted Carter and he complied with their request.

"I let them search me because I was clean. I didn't have anything on me," said Carter.

Before he knew it, he was being arrested. Carter, who, according to online records, had done only one day in jail for trespassing in the past, found himself charged with having 40 grams of cocaine, as well as codeine and marijuana.

Somehow, police connected the 30-year-old, who had no money, no cell phone and was staying with his daughter at his sister's, to a drug house.

"No, ma'am. No, ma'am. No, ma'am. Never touched any of those drugs. Never seen that place. Don't know anyone in that house," said Carter.

Carter was busted by Goines' narcotics unit. ABC13 Eyewitness News obtained video of them during a search last year. All of Goines' active cases are under scrutiny, including Carter's, because of the botched drug raid last month that went terribly wrong. Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas were killed. Four officers were shot. Goines is accused of lying on the search warrant that led to it.

"These are individual cases. Justice has to be meted out in every one. It takes time. We need some more investigators," Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg told reporters Thursday.

She will ask Commissioners Court for more funding to hire more prosecutors.

Out of the 1,400 Goines cases under review, 26 are active and one has been dismissed. Carter hopes that's him one day. He has a new job and a family to feed.

"I hope they review my case and dismiss, drop all charges. So I can move on with my life."

Carter's next court setting is March 28.

Edited by mycox

Just wanted to note that we flagged the “hmmm....something smells about this one” back around post 76 (I read the first info about the victims and posted about it, Lat followed with his concerns not long after). Historically, we’re not too bad at sniffing bullshit like this out. Hell, see how the initial reaction to the Jussie Smollett report around here was “yeah, that sounds fishy AF.” Pretty decent bullshit detectors around these parts, when we deploy them objectively.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Rich coke heads aren't coke heads. They are rich people.

Let's be clear, our criminal industrial complex is classist first. Just so happens a lot of poor people are also minorities and as such it is racist by default. Which makes profiling a convenient practice.

It wasn't exactly just happenstance that a lot poor people are minorities.  Purposeful fed, state,  and local policy did its job for most of the 20th century.  

11 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

In the middle of all this, Art is hanging out courtside with a known cokehead.

Oscar De La Hoya probably had more coke on him when this pic was taken than was found in the house on Harding Street. 

I think you mistakenly posted a pic of a mafia mob boss and a couple of his hitmen, not a pic of the Chief of Police of one of the largest cities in the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mycox said:

Woman arrested by HPD officer Gerald Goines gets case dismissed amid his investigation

Reveal hidden contents
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

A hug from her mom has never felt so sweet to Courtney Jacobs. She's been in jail since last September, after Officer Gerald Goines arrested her in an undercover narcotics operation.

Jacobs was released Thursday morning. She sat in jail for five months, unable to make a $20,000 bond, and now her case is dismissed.

"I was like, I'd been doing all this time for nothing. I have constantly been telling my momma, 'This time, I didn't do nothing,'" said Jacobs, who does have a criminal record.

She readily admits she had been legitimately arrested several times in her life, but this is not one of those times.

Jacobs says on Sept. 13, 2018, an undercover officer approached her on Ennis Street, blocks from her home, and started to flirt with her.

"He said, 'Come ride with me.' I said, 'No.' He said, 'Get in, get in. I'm a cool dude,'" she recalled. "He was saying he wanted to party, he wanted to get to know me and squeezed my thigh."

The two drove around in the undercover officer's car for 30 minutes, and at his urging, Jacobs stopped and bought a small amount of pot. Moments later, uniformed officers swooped in.

Jacobs, instead of pot possession, was charged with trying to distribute meth, which she says she did not even have.

"He kept the weed and he charged me with some pills, and I don't even have no pills on me," Jacobs said.

The arresting officer in her case was Goines, who after the disastrous Harding Street raid, is now under investigation.

RELATED: HPD chief said officer from drug raid would be relieved of duty after release from hospital

In all, the District Attorney's office will review 1,400 cases, where Goines was either the arresting officer or the witness of record. Of those, 26 cases are current, with four cases that still have individuals in jail.

Jacobs' case is the first one dismissed.

On Thursday, District Attorney Kim Ogg says she will ask for funding to hire on several more staffers so the cases can be reviewed faster.

"I'll be making an immediate request, to our funding body, the Commissioners Court, for some additional prosecutors to help with the review of the 1,400 cases," said Ogg.

Defense lawyers are pessimistic.

"There are way more than 1,400 cases that need to be reviewed," said attorney Norm Silverman, who represents two of the defendants who have active cases with Goines.

"Okay, we caught this officer. What happened to the checks and balances? What happened to the magistrate that's not supposed to be a rubber stamp? What happened to the system? What you're seeing is people becoming complacent."

As for Jacobs, the mother of two says she hopes the other people arrested under Goines' watch get a full review. For her, she says the case dismissal was a blessing, and an impetus to try and change her life.

"God answered my prayer," she said.

Man says HPD officer linked him to drug house for just being near it

Reveal hidden contents

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

Brandon Carter was crashing on his sister's couch when HPD Officer Gerald Goines' narcotics unit tied him to a drug house and charged him with possession of cocaine, codeine and marijuana.

"It was crazy. I couldn't believe it," said Carter, who is out on bond.

Carter says he was on his way back from the store to his sister's house in Sunnyside last September, when he saw some Houston police activity at the corner of Ferdinand and Phlox. He walked closer. Court records show police had just executed a search warrant at a house. An officer confronted Carter and he complied with their request.

"I let them search me because I was clean. I didn't have anything on me," said Carter.

Before he knew it, he was being arrested. Carter, who, according to online records, had done only one day in jail for trespassing in the past, found himself charged with having 40 grams of cocaine, as well as codeine and marijuana.

Somehow, police connected the 30-year-old, who had no money, no cell phone and was staying with his daughter at his sister's, to a drug house.

"No, ma'am. No, ma'am. No, ma'am. Never touched any of those drugs. Never seen that place. Don't know anyone in that house," said Carter.

Carter was busted by Goines' narcotics unit. ABC13 Eyewitness News obtained video of them during a search last year. All of Goines' active cases are under scrutiny, including Carter's, because of the botched drug raid last month that went terribly wrong. Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas were killed. Four officers were shot. Goines is accused of lying on the search warrant that led to it.

"These are individual cases. Justice has to be meted out in every one. It takes time. We need some more investigators," Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg told reporters Thursday.

She will ask Commissioners Court for more funding to hire more prosecutors.

Out of the 1,400 Goines cases under review, 26 are active and one has been dismissed. Carter hopes that's him one day. He has a new job and a family to feed.

"I hope they review my case and dismiss, drop all charges. So I can move on with my life."

Carter's next court setting is March 28.

Well, some of you Houstonites  have undoubtedly been near HPD headquarters, so you’re a part of the Thin Blue Line..

16 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

I think I remember reading it was 18 grams. A little over half an ounce, which is consistent with personal use. No evidence of scales or baggies in the house. 

These people were not dealers.

And yeah, some cancer patients smoke weed. They don't usually do coke and heroin.

Has the white substance ever been confirmed as coke? The initial stuff I saw never confirmed the "white substance". Fuck, it could've been drywall for all we know.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

Just wanted to note that we flagged the “hmmm....something smells about this one” back around post 76 (I read the first info about the victims and posted about it, Lat followed with his concerns not long after). Historically, we’re not too bad at sniffing bullshit like this out. Hell, see how the initial reaction to the Jussie Smollett report around here was “yeah, that sounds fishy AF.” Pretty decent bullshit detectors around these parts, when we deploy them objectively.

Most of us have always deployed it objectively. The UVA Rolling Stone story had bullshit called on it within 20 posts IIRC. There was arguing on that thread only because a couple of posters intentionally turn their bullshit detectors off when it comes to sexual assault claims.

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Has the white substance ever been confirmed as coke? The initial stuff I saw never confirmed the "white substance". Fuck, it could've been drywall for all we know.  

According to this Houston Chronicle article three days after the raid, HPD identified the powder as cocaine. At this point, Art was still shooting down conspiracy theories and maintaining the story that a confidential informant had bought heroin at the house. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/houston/article/Powder-found-in-police-raid-identified-13578839.php

9 hours ago, mycox said:

Not sure, but I'm seeing a trend based on another person that has been released from jail. They are lower income minorities with previous arrests.

And there is also this guy.
https://twitter.com/ImJessicaWilley/status/1098790824538722304

I find Jessica Wiley guilty of possession of the hotness.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

they can determine coke or whatever at a traffic stop, but need weeks to figure this one out...so much bs around this. i also think this is larger than just Goins...there had to be a lot of layers of buy in from other to pull this shit, he is simply the fall guy.

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I find Jessica Wiley guilty of possession of the hotness.

Absolutely.  About 10 years ago I saw the abc13 van driving down my street . Turns out a neighbor had a pistol stolen from his luggage and they went to interview him. As luck would have it, she was the reporter and was smoke. I think she's had a kid or 2 since then. Leg game was strong at that time

• Like 1