5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

11 hours ago, Hate said:

If this is really him there are going to be some Surly posters that will begin to question their existence today.

To quote the poet Ice Cube.

"But don't let it be a black and a white one

'Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top

Black police showin' out for the white cop

Ice Cube will swarm

On any motherfucker in a blue uniform"

• Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 9:38 AM, Reagan1k said:

Amazing. The Doctine of Chances.

The attorney in the Houston news is a friend of mine. He had Goines on the road rage case where no gun was found but alleged. That summary of Goins sustained misconduct allegations was given to the media by him.

I think this is a murder case.

Tampering with a Government Record or Aggravated Perjury is the underlying felony for a felony murder.

if Goines was the actual shooter for both victims, it could be a capital murder, he cannot rely on the Public Duty defense knowing the warrant was false. If anyone else was aware of the falsity, and they were the shooter, or each killed one person, they are both parties to the offense under Ch 7 of the Penal Code. Or it could be an intentionally causing the death In course of a burglary, again knowing of the falsity of the warrant prevents the application of the Public Duty defense.

Tough case to make but the facts could be there.

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Like 1

The attorney in the Houston news is a friend of mine. He had Goines on the road rage case where no gun was found but alleged. That summary of Goins sustained misconduct allegations was given to the media by him.
Tampering with a Government Record or Aggravated Perjury is the underlying felony for a felony murder.
if Goines was the actual shooter for both victims, it could be a capital murder, he cannot rely on the Public Duty defense knowing the warrant was false. If anyone else was aware of the falsity, and they were the shooter, or each killed one person, they are both parties to the offense under Ch 7 of the Penal Code. Or it could be an intentionally causing the death In course of a burglary, again knowing of the falsity of the warrant prevents the application of the Public Duty defense.

Thanks for your take. Those were some of the pieces I had put together to get to a colorable murder or capital murder charge, but the penal code is not my regular sandbox. Your more expert analysis is appreciated.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Good grief.. this is so appalling.

I'm not sure appalling is strong enough of a word..not sure a strong enough word exists.

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And you and I both know they’re just scratching the surface.

Scratch and claw all the way to the dammed bone.

On 2/24/2019 at 11:40 AM, 4th and 5 said:

Why was this motherfucker still on the "force"? Absolute bullshit and fuck Acevedo and any other cop that helped protect him and keep him on the streets. Two people are FUCKING dead because of the efforts of these people. It's not just about Goines.....and I don't give a fuck what his race is. A bad cop is a bad cop and it seems to me that bad cops are fucking everywhere

2 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Why was this motherfucker still on the "force"? Absolute bullshit and fuck Acevedo and any other cop that helped protect him and keep him on the streets. Two people are FUCKING dead because of the efforts of these people. It's not just about Goines.....and I don't give a fuck what his race is. A bad cop is a bad cop and it seems to me that bad cops are fucking everywhere

Membership has it's privileges.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Yep.. ung... true . Its just such a bully tactic. Setting aside the monsterous constitutional violations and the fucking up of people's lives, (which is not to trivialize it at all) the bullying aspect is what actually angers me the most. It probably shouldn't but I have and always will have huge personal issues with bullies in all their forms. Gotten me into a lot of trouble in life, but I wouldnt take any of it back.

I can't stand bullies, in all their forms.  I'm always compelled to get in their face and take action to stop their behavior, my own health and legal standing be damned.

Grumble grumble grumble.

Amen. I'm the same way

Seems like there needs to be more looking into his sidekick that grabbed the heroin out of the car and also lied. I think I read he was dismissed or put on leave. But obviously he has done some bullshit and every case he was involved in should be examined

No shit. No way that was his first foray in false testimony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To get it out of the way, in this case and a lot of others I lean towards Team Brisket. And fuck Art. But.......

I’m unfamiliar with how much oversight or even knowledge Art (or any police chief) would have here. Seems like the culture would already be established below his level. Hell, back in my UT days we kept a live sheep in my dad’s backyard for 2 days. He lived next door to the chief at the time. He was told about it but never got the dreaded sternly worded note.

"the team sucked when I got here and I am still assessing how bad they suck"  doesn't cut it either.

The man is responsible for his department's processes and conduct.  That's why he gets the big bucks.  That's why his job should be on the line.

96% didn't recover any firearms?  Seriously?  That's fucked up man.  Damn TSA has a better rate than that and they're not technically in the warrants for guns business.  

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

How is that even possible in Houston where so many people have firearms?

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm pretty sure that if you just randomly broke into houses in Houston that you would find guns in more than 50% of them

13 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Now, I'm just spitballin' here....but the deal is that 96% of his no knock warrants REPORTED no guns recovered.  My hypothesis is....maybe these cops were lying.  Maybe sometimes they DID recover some firearms, and instead of listing them on the report, they either kept them for their own use, kept them as potential throw-downs for future use, or sold them.  I know, WACKY hypothesis. Surely honest police officers like these would never do such a thing.

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Now, I'm just spitballin' here....but the deal is that 96% of his no knock warrants REPORTED no guns recovered.  My hypothesis is....maybe these cops were lying.  Maybe sometimes they DID recover some firearms, and instead of listing them on the report, they either kept them for their own use, kept them as potential throw-downs for future use, or sold them.  I know, WACKY hypothesis. Surely honest police officers like these would never do such a thing.

hat makin' time

1200px-Aluminium_cooking_foil.jpg

• Fuck You 4

In an interesting twist (SIAP) the "News Now Houston" video blogger (Earl David Worden- who had been doing his own "investigation" of and protesting this raid) was arrested down in the valley on charges of sexual assault of a child .

Hard story to follow, but it appears he may already be a registered offender and was subsequently arrested on an old charge that had been previously dropped.

Can't make this shit up......

Edit - His were some of the YouTube videos linked by other posters on this thread.

Edited by Reagan1k

Doesnt lighten the load of what HPD has done, nor do I see how it discredits the case against HPD. We all can see what they have done and certainly see what they most likely have done in the past.

Guess this is what the union rep was talking about, go after those who badmouth the PD. So what

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I doubt this is the case. Defense lawyers would be told this and make a stink unless the firearm was stolen, in which case the defendant would have probably been charged anyway. And theft of a firearm is a Texas felony and federal felony, and with firearms having serial numbers, it is much unlike pocketing some drug dealers cash or drugs. Not worth the exposure.

56 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I doubt this is the case. Defense lawyers would be told this and make a stink unless the firearm was stolen, in which case the defendant would have probably been charged anyway. And theft of a firearm is a Texas felony and federal felony, and with firearms having serial numbers, it is much unlike pocketing some drug dealers cash or drugs. Not worth the exposure.

Yeah.  HPD would never do anything like that.  Except, you know, it's a documented fact (from an actual court case) that it was a widespread department practice (read the below, and understand that "throwdowns" often came via seizing a gun from an earlier suspect):

Tragedy did not deter the officers from considering practicalities. What to do about the "mess"? According to Officer Holloway, "Tommy (Olin) was standing there talking ... and Byrd walked up to me and asked if we needed a throw down.... I said, 'I don't know.' That would be up to Danny Mays and Tommy Olin. It was their shooting and it is their mess."

A "throw down", the starring role in this tragedy, is a weapon which police officers, having killed (or wounded) an unarmed suspect, can put at his side to justify the shooting. How common was this practice? The officers, testifying at trial, made clear that a throw down was "common knowledge". Officer Holloway: "I had several officers tell me that if I needed a throw down that they had one or knew where they could get one." He continued, "I know that maybe the Department and the City and the news media were trying to say that we were the first ones that admitted this throw down, but that has been a part of police work long before I came on the streets." Officer Dillon concurred. "It would be brought up like when (instructors at the Police Academy) would be sitting at various crime scenes for instruction, it would be casually mentioned that if you ever shot anyone accidentally, well, you had best have something to lay down to protect yourself." Officer Byrd, who provided the throw down, explained,

Q: How many officers or what percentage of officers either carried a throw down in 1977 or had access to a throw down?

A: I would say 75-80% of them.

Q: Was that common knowledge on the force back in February of '77?

A: Yes.

Q: It wasn't unusual at all at the Webster scene that there were two officers that had a throw down?

A: It wasn't unusual, no.

Q: Pretty much common practice?

A: Most of the officers either carried a knife or a gun.

Q: It was pretty much an accepted practice that there would be a throw down at any one given situation if needed?

A: Right. Not any set policy or anything like that, but it was just a situation just to cover yourself on an individual basis.

The risk is too high?  It can't happen here?

It literally has happened -- hundreds/thousands of times.  You think that STOPPED after the Webster case?

• Like 1

I'mma go out on a limb here and guess that the vast majority of the arrests made by Goines were of those who couldn't afford bail, let alone their own attorney.  Should that be the case, they might not even know their guns were stolen by Goines until after their court proceedings were complete.  If that is the case, and it's been weeks or months after the raid, the cops would have plausible deniability should a citizen make a complaint about a firearm being taken but not listed on the inventory.  It could have easily been stolen from the ransacked apartment/house in the time that the accused sat in jail waiting for the wheels of justice.

I doubt many of the appointed attorneys were finding their clients' denials convincing, so they were most likely looking to plea down vs. fight the system.  Ergo, Goines was basically operating with immunity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.  HPD would never do anything like that.  Except, you know, it's a documented fact (from an actual court case) that it was a widespread department practice (read the below, and understand that "throwdowns" often came via seizing a gun from an earlier suspect):

It literally has happened -- hundreds/thousands of times.  You think that STOPPED after the Webster case?

Was that the case where they tossed that Mexican guy in a ditch and he drowned?

1 minute ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I'mma go out on a limb here and guess that the vast majority of the arrests made by Goines were of those who couldn't afford bail, let alone their own attorney.  Should that be the case, they might not even know their guns were stolen by Goines until after their court proceedings were complete.  If that is the case, and it's been weeks or months after the raid, the cops would have plausible deniability should a citizen make a complaint about a firearm being taken but not listed on the inventory.  It could have easily been stolen from the ransacked apartment/house in the time that the accused sat in jail waiting for the wheels of justice.

I doubt many of the appointed attorneys were finding their clients' denials convincing, so they were most likely looking to plea down vs. fight the system.  Ergo, Goines was basically operating with immunity.

This.  Poor defendants aren't gonna know their 9mm is missing, because they can't get back to the scene.  And even if they did, it's often a felony for them to be in possession -- so they're gonna tell their public defender "hey, ask the cops what happened to my illegal 9mm in my top dresser drawer?"  Nope.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Nope.  The Webster shooting.  The drowning murder was an entirely different case.  See any patterns here?

4 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

This

19 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Back in the 70's it was Joe Campos Torres.  It was Buffalo Bayou, I believe.  The Uranium Savages sang a song about it to the tune of Jambalaya (On the Bayou):  "Hey ole Joe, we're gonna go for a swimo . . .

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

(Agree with you here just adding a couple of points)

1. Police officers do not play by the same rule-book as Jane and John Doe. They just don't. Whether they are "technically" held to the same laws or not. 

2. The line between "theft" and "seizure" for a firearm gets murky when you start dealing with people that either unlawfully own the gun or get popped with something else like drug charges. "Nope, we didn't find a gun, just drugs" well, my client says you seized his firearm as well "Oh right, we uh, forgot. You know, misplaced paperwork and all that. You understand, huh judge?"

So should the officers be charged with a theft of firearm, drugs etc. Doubt it will happen but it would be interesting to have a surprise search of their vehicles.