If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

39 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

I wonder what competing digital interests they wanted to pursue were enough to tank everything? Is this about owning your own IP? Weren’t Dan and Jake just talking about defector media’s stance on this about a month ago? 

Someone on either Reddit or My Ticket Confessions mentioned Dan and Jake being tight with Bryan Curtis of The Ringer. Jake writes for the Ringer so maybe they're looking at something digital with that? I guess IJB has been getting us ready for this all these years. I'm just curious why Dan would do it but I'd suspect it has something to do with the idea that he would be asked to do 5 hours for around the same pay as before. If we think back to when Danny left, he mentioned being asked to do all this extra stuff like being a 3rd host for the same amount of money. 

https://www.theringer.com/pages/podcasts

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Oh well they’re gone. Dont give a shit really. It’s a nonevent. If true they pulled the pin on themselves. Taking a hard stance in this day in the radio bidness just isn’t a strong position for 99.5% of radio personalities.

Nonevent? Totally disagree with that take.   I personally rarely tuned in live given the window due to work but listened to almost all their available segments on sportsday app during morning dog walk daily.  I'll still listen on the commute but that probably knocks the app out for me all together.  Jake was, for me at least, probably top overall host and certainly from a sports talk perspective.  I think it's a huge loss for the station.

• Hook 'Em 2

So this is interesting if it's accurate. Sounds a little special exemption Gordo. Does the Freak let their people monetize the podcasts. I've never listened to a Freak podcast. Does it include ads? I can see why Cumulus might've said no to their demands. Got this from My Ticket Confessions:

Ok my phone is blowing up so let me fill in what I know. I’m friends with a couple of the ticket sales reps, so here’s what I’m told: As the Bennett email said, it’s been in negotiations which is why this has been so flying by the seat of the pants. I’m told THZ was expected back after their vacation and decided to hold out while negotiations continued. That’s when we started getting rotten radio, replays, etc as they scrambled to fill what they didn’t know they needed to fill. I’m told there’s verbiage about it broke down over competing interests. I believe Dan and Jake wanted to do whole show podcasts a la the Freak and monetize them for themselves. Cumulus didn’t want full show podcasts ( arguably understandable, those don’t register in the ratings like signal or stream, so cannabilizes your own audience). Cumulus also wouldn’t go for letting them monetize it themselves as THZ could sell a sponsorship to the podcast undercutting their sales to a client. Why pay market rate to Cumulus when you could sell a cheaper side deal with THZ? If those stories are correct (and again, this is what I’m told, not first hand knowledge) I understand Cumulus not wanting to set a precedent. More on the fallout after this break…

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Nonevent? Totally disagree with that take.   I personally rarely tuned in live given the window due to work but listened to almost all their available segments on sportsday app during morning dog walk daily.  I'll still listen on the commute but that probably knocks the app out for me all together.  Jake was, for me at least, probably top overall host and certainly from a sports talk perspective.  I think it's a huge loss for the station.

It’s a huge loss. The guy you’re quoting was diagnosed as a mongoloid when he was 5. Don’t quote him. 

The Cumulus position seems reasonable on not allowing separate monetization seems reasonable in a vacuum but we obviously don't know the base salary offer and how that compares with the other top hosts.  If they were trying to do something on the side to make them whole (relatively compared to their peers) I get it.  It's a big risk for them obviously.  But I'll probably listen to anything Jake puts out.  Huge blow for the big events and frankly just for football season.  Jake's college football takes were pretty much the only ones I can even stand to listen to.

This website is the only place that has skewered Baker Mayfield longer and harder than Jake Kemp has....for that alone he's a good.  The fact he has a fairly deep sports knowledge AND actually gets what Dan is doing makes them a better paring than Bob and Dan.   

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The Cumulus position seems reasonable on not allowing separate monetization seems reasonable in a vacuum but we obviously don't know the base salary offer and how that compares with the other top hosts.  If they were trying to do something on the side to make them whole (relatively compared to their peers) I get it.  It's a big risk for them obviously.  But I'll probably listen to anything Jake puts out.  Huge blow for the big events and frankly just for football season.  Jake's college football takes were pretty much the only ones I can even stand to listen to.

I don't see how Dan survives without his daily 3 squares from Eatzi's. That most certainly dries up. 

I think the local/national thing is a bit overrated.  They cover sports, but they are not on a "beat" or anything.  I'm pretty sure if they can spend time analyzing all the dumbass things Jerry says and does they can do likewise with all the other dumbasses.  

They could also go their separate ways.  Not exactly at the same point in life.  Dan in particular has a lot less to tie him to DFW these days with all his kids pretty much grown.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Sounds a little special exemption Gordo.

unless gordo is lying he isn’t making any money off his twitch subscribers.  that all goes to At Last Boarding.  he also isn’t selling advertising.  not sure how any of it applies to gordo.  good take, though. 

i'll believe that email is official the day they announce they are going to wait out a 6 mo noncompete and announce where they are going - not a day sooner. i'd think we would have some info on it by now or some collaboration on it if it had gone out to any number of ticket staff. even more screenshots from different email programs or with a light background...but we don't.

from MTC comments:

Detty on Top 10 about 15 minutes ago “The invasion in all this week at midday”

From reddit:
The Musers opened with “Band of Gold” this morning. Google lyrics if you’re not familiar. Ill winds are indeed blowing through the little ticket this week. Stay hard Hang Zone…

Fernando just made a tongue-in-cheek comment about Norm coming out of retirement to win more e-brakes.

George muttered “he might have to.”

Edited by BigDHornfan

The ticket just finally ran it's course. It had unbelievable longevity and chemistry but maybe it really was Rhyner holding it all together behind the scenes all these years. Once he left it's become dysfunctional with high turnover like every other radio station. 

Outside of just Gordo now the rest of the ticket is pretty garbage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The ticket just finally ran it's course. It had unbelievable longevity and chemistry but maybe it really was Rhyner holding it all together behind the scenes all these years. Once he left it's become dysfunctional with high turnover like every other radio station.

so we are to believe that Mike Rhyner, who didn't give enough of a damn to actually work on his show, was holding it together behind the scenes?

come on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

dont know why anyone up there outside of management would have any reason to be petty or have ill will against dan or jake.  want more money/outside revenue options, bosses say no, think you can get it elsewhere and resign.  its not like they went scorched earth on anyone on their way out.  keeping my kneepads on.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Return music for the Musers has been very telling. Respect, Think, Where Did Our Love Go. 

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/254823/dan-mcdowell-jake-kemp-resign-from-ktck/

confirmed that email may be real from their twitter?

image.png.c8db91fdc0b71bfedf26f34db71b1c94.png

edit: sounds like musers opened up this AM with "Band of Gold" and played it again a little while ago. yikes.

Edited by NoName

OK, I'm starting to think this may be real. A couple points are Cumulus is broke, iHeart is not. They have a pretty healthy podcast outlet, too. I see no problem with them agreeing to the streaming requests. 97.1 has a better signal, no tejano bleed over. Not 100% convinced Dan would do or be good at mornings. Middays are his realm.

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

OK, I'm starting to think this may be real. A couple points are Cumulus is broke, iHeart is not. They have a pretty healthy podcast outlet, too. I see no problem with them agreeing to the streaming requests. 97.1 has a better signal, no tejano bleed over. Not 100% convinced Dan would do or be good at mornings. Middays are his realm.

It's definitely real. As far as Dan & Jake to mornings on the Freak, being a morning guy is one thing when you're getting up, having coffee, watching last night's Rangers game. It's another thing when you have to get up like the Musers do every day. Yeah, they'll start later but it's still a grind to get up every morning to do that. I think they'll take Ben & Skin's spot. There's a reason that D Magazine article came out. It felt like Ben & Skin getting another swan song. 

1 minute ago, RPM said:

We may need a thread title change

Nah. BAD Radio hasn't been a thing for 2 years now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's definitely real. As far as Dan & Jake to mornings on the Freak, being a morning guy is one thing when you're getting up, having coffee, watching last night's Rangers game. It's another thing when you have to get up like the Musers do every day. Yeah, they'll start later but it's still a grind to get up every morning to do that. I think they'll take Ben & Skin's spot. There's a reason that D Magazine article came out. It felt like Ben & Skin getting another swan song. 

Nah. BAD Radio hasn't been a thing for 2 years now. 

I don't know why people started talking about that D Magazine article again but it was over 2 years old

26 minutes ago, RPM said:

I got the tejano bleed over on the way in this morning and switched the station.  Ridiculous.  I'm definitely a free agent after this move.  Unfortunately not aware of any commute time radio that is better.  If Jake/Dan moved to morning or afternoon drive time on the freak I would convert.

Edited by Skipper

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I got the tejano bleed over on the way in this morning and switched the station.  Ridiculous.  I'm definitely a free agent after this move.  Unfortunately not aware of any commute time radio that is better.  If Jake/Dan moved to morning or afternoon drive time on the freak I would convert.

you'd listen to them over gordo?  doubtful.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

so we are to believe that Mike Rhyner, who didn't give enough of a damn to actually work on his show, was holding it together behind the scenes?

come on.

Please don’t quote that idiot either. I hate the ignore feature. You’re right - Rhyner wasn’t holding anything together. 

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think one of the reasons Dan bailed is that he never quite got over being left at midday while his partner ascended to drive time. 

I don’t see that cumulus had any better option, but I’m sure it still stung. 

Agreed, but, they had better options. Bob on The HL has been bad. Bob is talented but not nearly as talented as he thinks he is, and he is a thin-skinned bitch and nerd. 

What are the ticket's options at this point to fill those five hours? That's a horrible position for them to be facing with the people currently on staff. It's just Donovan and then guys that host weekend shows. Brutal. 

Edited by Da Fino

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

I would put money on them just letting Donovan have 10-3 permanently. 

Musers 5:30 - 10

Donovan and a rotating Muser 10 - 3

Bob & Corby 3 - 7

Gordo burns out from show hopping and becomes the next Hunter S. Thompson

Jub retires to Possum Kingdom

Junior is found hanging in a closet above a puddle of his own urine 

• Haha 6