If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I think this Board’s view of Corby is bad too fwiw. 

I tend to like Corby until football season then he drives me crazy.  It's not only the Sooner BS, it's how uneducated he is while simultaneously having hot takes. About everything.  There is no reason those of us with full blown professional careers should be more educated about college football than a sports talk radio guy that claims to be the "College Football Blowhard" but then every year I listen to him flat out misstate or misrepresent facts. That's when I turn on Corby.  3 games into the season and I'll know more about the OU football team than Corby does.  Maybe this will be the year he surprises me.  Hey Corby - if you're reading this pick up the damn Phil Steele preview and read it cover to cover before opening day as a starting point.

• Hook 'Em 2

If they think folks will flood a podcast because they can say fuck or huff paint it gets stale real quick. When Howard Stern moved to Satellite it lost a bit; part of the entertainment was the pushing of FCC and station standards.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a dollar a month it’s hard to get folks to pay for what’s been free.

I’m thinking Dan has been looking at this moment since their last contract when they stuck at 1310, or when Bob went to HL. He’s a smart guy and is looking at a variety of options. I just don’t see that he did this to just move over to another station to do what he was already doing. I think he’s looking at something we have no clue about yet hat he’s been working on for awhile that required the ability to work it outside Cumulus.

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think Corby is carrying on the longtime HL tradition of being the co host who is abrasive and flies by the seat of his pants while doing very little research. Worked for coke head Hammer. 

agree.  have to see if Corby ever has to call into the show via OnStar after a  bender though

Hellllllllllllllo it’s Shawn and Marcus. Man those guys are hilarious and I definitely want them to provide my next mortgage. Marry the house, date the rate!

This Marcus Kijowa guy also needs to be kicked in the nuts. 

“Dockable water fronts” and “barndo” are terms that annoy the shit out of me. 

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Saying again I don't really know how this works, but if this is to be taken at face value the TC & Jake "It's just banter" has 892 monthly subscribers and generates $4k/month.

https://www.patreon.com/itsjustbanter

image.png.6a156ddb9e502c42e0860b8208388fc5.png

I would think Hang Zone could get to 20k subscribers given some time but no idea how "sticky" those subscribers would be.  I don't even know that I would need a 5 days a week kind of thing to feel like I'm getting value.  Honestly, if they dropped a couple of 1-2 hour podcasts a week I think I could justify $5/month.  I could then listen when I want.  If it was something I was enjoying, I'd likely stick with it.  How many things do I waste $5 a month on that don't give me 5-10 hours of entertainment a month?

I will say they should get this going ASAFP, memories are short and people will get distracted and be less likely to subscribe / "support" them in 3 - 6 months.

Motivating someone to click that "pay" button is the big hurdle and the leap of faith they have just taken. 

i already did a huge overview of how it works and some potential milestones. if they hit 20,000 total subs in 1 month that would literally put them at the #12 podcast on patreon per graphtreon.

Qanon Anonymous has 19,400 patrons and is making $85k a month. Fear& is some podcast i've never heard of and has 17,300 patrons and is making $75k a month.

i would be absolutely floored if they can even crack the 10k patrons a month, which would put them in the top 25 on patreon. the #26 podcast (Redhanded)  currently has 9871 patrons and is making $61,638 with 3 tiers of 5/10/20

i am very interested to see if they go the multiple tier direction or just go the "it costs $5" concept. really interested to see how they do it.

i would bet literally anything they are not doing 5 podcasts a week. i will be shocked if norm is doing 5 podcasts a week that's more than even 15-30 min total.

i think the smart thing to do from their end is 2 a week and betting they end up in the 2ish hour per area. charge $5 for that + discord access. have ads included. do some random live streams of it that you can potentially watch for free.

add a $10 tier that includes ad free podcasts + the video versions of the podcasts + some extra stuff like cowboys preview podcasts with people (30-60 min) + discord access

hire people to do some editing and drop snippets on tiktok/yt shorts/reels.

release last weeks episode for free so people can join.

basically replicate what the basement yard does on a release schedule.

• Like 1

I think Corby is carrying on the longtime HL tradition of being the co host who is abrasive and flies by the seat of his pants while doing very little research. Worked for coke head Hammer. 

Corby is so cringey with his “we’re fighting for our brothers” bullshit. We know how that went down.

Corby: “Hey boss, I’d like to talk abou…”

Boss: “shut the fuck up”

Corby: “you got it!”

To Dan: “hey I tried dude! I laid em out!”
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

this really sucks.  wonder if this will lead to the end of picks with friends during football season (one of my favorite bits)?

whos the guy that thinks he can sing and does it too often on the air?  i want to know his picks each week. 

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

HL talking about it now. 

Thanks for heads up. It's clear Bob and Corby are both genuinely bummed.   Interesting Bob said that until a few weeks ago (when he did his new deal) his and Dan's contract have always been exactly the same.  Corby's point assuming that eventually Jake would always be around including when he's done (I'm sure he envisioned one day working with Jake on the HL, which really would have worked) is what stinks big picture.  Those guys know there just isn't anyone waiting in the wings, except potentially Donny, when anyone on the HL or Musers decides to hang it up. 

Also feel bad for Donny as his ratings are going to go down by default without a strong show following his slot.  Or do they move him to the 2 slot and give up on 10-12?  Tough decisions.

Yeah it was a great segment. I think Bob and Corby said things that needed to be said. I don't think you can pin blame on anyone and I completely get why Dan and Jake are trying to think outside the box and try something new. I think we've all been insulated by how long the Ticket has avoided major upheaval. Now it's happening, like it would with most normal radio stations, it's scary and sucks because it's a new sensation. 

I think Donny will be okay because I'd imagine there's some combination that's going to work for him. They'll probably run some people in like when Dan was being auditioned with Bob. I doubt they move him out of 10-12.  I get the feeling they're bringing in a new show entirely for 12-3. I doubt Mino and Monty get the gig. I don't think Cumulus, Bennett, or Cat work that way. It was a minor miracle that Jake broke through, honestly. I think his skill was just too apparent to ignore and he was willing to take the tiny amount Cumulus could offer. 

The thing Corby said that was a bit enlightening is how he could never voluntarily leave and essentially that if he tried to get something out of management and was told no (i.e., side podcast independent of Hang Zone) he would have just said "Ok" and signed the contract.   I'm interested to see how this plays out. I get the feeling Corby thinks Jake is making a big mistake.  And based on the tone of that video yesterday I'm starting to think that may be the case as well.  Seems plausible that Dan really drove this and Jake was talked into it.  If it really is just a podcast and not The Freak or Fan 6 months from now - put me in the camp that doubts they will monetize it sufficiently to match whatever their offer was.  Similarly, if they do show up at The Fan or Freak (with their side podcast), do they at that point lose loyalty from P1's (after saying they didn't plan to compete with The Ticket).  Starting to really question their end game and how committed Jake is going to be to it if it doesn't work out.  Dan is older and seemed to have had his foot out the door for a while but Jake is walking a way from a clear path to drive time down the road.  

• Like 1

So the Freak is moving Sirois and Danny to Morning Drive and moving Julie and Cavanagh to the afternoon with Rhyner. And the show will now go 2-6. Ben & Skin 10-2.  This thing isn't long for the world and that sounds like Jake and Dan aren't coming.

Edited by mdmost

53 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The thing Corby said that was a bit enlightening is how he could never voluntarily leave and essentially that if he tried to get something out of management and was told no (i.e., side podcast independent of Hang Zone) he would have just said "Ok" and signed the contract.   I'm interested to see how this plays out. I get the feeling Corby thinks Jake is making a big mistake.  And based on the tone of that video yesterday I'm starting to think that may be the case as well.  Seems plausible that Dan really drove this and Jake was talked into it.  If it really is just a podcast and not The Freak or Fan 6 months from now - put me in the camp that doubts they will monetize it sufficiently to match whatever their offer was.  Similarly, if they do show up at The Fan or Freak (with their side podcast), do they at that point lose loyalty from P1's (after saying they didn't plan to compete with The Ticket).  Starting to really question their end game and how committed Jake is going to be to it if it doesn't work out.  Dan is older and seemed to have had his foot out the door for a while but Jake is walking a way from a clear path to drive time down the road.  

That's because corby knows he's the luckiest fucker on the face of the earth. 

• Rage+1 1

I guess Julie finally convinced them to move her since she can’t wake up in time for the morning show. They have to get some kind of momentum going with Rhyner in any attempt to get book. Shuffling deck chairs I believe. Julie can now review Mike’s granddaughter stories with her parenting failures. Sirois can fart in the am.

I’m with you. He didn’t sound confident on the video. Kinda had that look of someone not really on board with the program or “oh shit Dan said cumulus would take our deal”

They don’t strike me as a real team. They aren’t the smothers brothers or Laurel and Hardy. I would have thought Jake could have just told Cumilus I am good staying. I’m good 10-3 with Donnie. Whatever you need.

to get things off the trending topic I have a random question.  can someone fill me in on the origin of the chili davis jokes that gordo makes from time to time?  jub and junes seem to crack up whenever chili davis is mentioned and I somehow missed how that became a bit.

I personally believe Jake was leading this and Dan is along for the ride. Jake tried to get sentimental during that video and say how much Dan means to him and Dan just redirected to get him to move on from sentimental stuff. I also believe they are going to the spite station. 

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

I personally believe Jake was leading this and Dan is along for the ride. Jake tried to get sentimental during that video and say how much Dan means to him and Dan just redirected to get him to move on from sentimental stuff. I also believe they are going to the spite station. 

image.gif

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

So the Freak is moving Sirois and Danny to Morning Drive and moving Julie and Cavanagh to the afternoon with Rhyner. And the show will now go 2-6. Ben & Skin 10-2.  This thing isn't long for the world and that sounds like Jake and Dan aren't coming.

Julie Dobbs in afternoon drive-time is a savvy move by KEGL.  The Hardline better be sweating. 

22 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Most people don't understand how insanely hard it is to transfer Twitter or YouTube or whatever subs into consistent paying Patreon patrons. You need something that people are so passionate about they're willing to pay every month for it and you have to keep them happy with whatever you're offering or they'll bounce. 

I would be very impressed if they could maintain a core patron list of 500 to 1000 at $5 a month with their limited market and the disadvantages they have with the market offering several free alternatives that are more easily accessible. 

I believe IJB has around 800 to 1000 patrons they maintain. I'm guessing Dan and Jake can do better than that.  

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I believe IJB has around 800 to 1000 patrons they maintain. I'm guessing Dan and Jake can do better than that.  

Probably if they stopped doing IJB. Most Jake fans aren't going to want to pay for double products I would assume. 

But let's sat they triple it. 2400 subs at $5 a month so $12k. Minus the 12 percent Patreon take is $10,560. Then taxes of around $2200 so $8360. About $4100 each. There's going to be other fees and expenses but let's just stop there. 

So they'd have to do all of the work themselves with no producer and no help and offer enough value to somehow consistently keep that high of a Patreon sub list for a fraction of what Cumulus most certainly offered them. They could sell some ads based on their click numbers but then that'll piss of the paying listeners where many will unsubscribe. So then they're at a point where they're having to put the show out for free with ads and then add some extra enticement to the P1 to pay on Patreon. It becomes a neverending shit show of work. 

That list the guy puts of the top 20 podcast numbers isn't relevant here because those are special interest niche podcasts that draw from a global audience. They pull listeners from across the entirety of the english speaking world.  If Dan and Jake are going to continue to do a similar type show they only appeal to a very small DFW niche market. 

The numbers just aren't close to being there even if they somehow manage to average 2400 patrons a month which would be a massive task to maintain. They're better off calling the Freak or the Fan or whoever else is willing to pay them their number for a radio show. 

Then that doesn't take into account their content issue. On the ticket a ton of their content came from riffing off of the screw ups or arguments or funny things about other people's shows. Now now on a podcast they won't have any of that. 

They would have to drastically change their formula for producing content and there's no guarantee the P1 is going to stick with whatever they choose since it's going to be so much different than what they are known for doing. 

On 7/21/2023 at 11:49 AM, threesheets said:

I've been listening since they flipped the switch and Skip was smacking bagels and cream cheese into the mic. I'm not some fickle dipshit come lately. My opinions of the station are pretty well rounded. 

hey-im-a-big-deal.gif

• Haha 3

While they can annoy me from time to time on the radio, Jub Jub and Corby are by all accounts good dudes off the air. I've never met Jub but am pretty well acquainted with the Snake having shared a common friend of his from TCU. My daughter and Ike have now gotten to be good friends from being in the same class at Dallas Lutheran.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Skipper said:

Similarly, if they do show up at The Fan or Freak (with their side podcast), do they at that point lose loyalty from P1's (after saying they didn't plan to compete with The Ticket).

That part of the segment bugged the shit out of me. Gordon's advice to Sirois last year when he hosted him on twitch was if you believe that you're underpaid then go out and get what you think you're worth. It sounded to me like they're emphasizing what they want to believe and setting up a narrative that Dan/Jake would have reneged if they accept a more lucrative offer from one of the other stations. Part of that petty "ticket vs. the world" bunker mentality.

And why wouldn't they accept a better contract from the Freak? Cumulus has been an overleveraged goatfuck of an organization since they bought out Susquehanna. They've used the station's culture as leverage against the hosts for 15 years. This was the second time Jake had to put in his notice since he got his dream job three years ago. And now they're expected to turn down a bigger payday that better reflects their worth? If those guys have a problem with Dan/Jake going to another station they should take it up with their bosses. Cumulus finally put a price on culture to someone who actually mattered at the station.

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Then that doesn't take into account their content issue. On the ticket a ton of their content came from riffing off of the screw ups or arguments or funny things about other people's shows. Now now on a podcast they won't have any of that. 

Agreed this is the biggest problem.   The best content on the Ticket is the interaction between each other.  The best bit all year was Picks With Friends with the culmination of the Corby bus trip.  That was just epic radio all the way around and was a must listen to segment each week.   All the hosts really need each other.  That's why it works.   Dan and Jake had a great show on the Ticket but a big reason for that is because it was on the Ticket.  I'm not sure they can recreate that on a podcast.  Or on another station with no talent.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 5

Gordo gave Sirois good advice. Applies not just to radio but any gig. I always told my best folks I will do everything I can to get you promoted when you’re ready. And if the company can’t take care of you then I’ll work with you to help you find a better gig elsewhere. Just be up front with me.

Cumulus doesn’t exist for its employees or its listeners. Same for any company. We all know this. Some of us just drink the ducking kool-aid.

We don’t have a clue what these two were offered, what they rejected, or what their real plans are short and long term. I am sure they were offered nice contracts monetarily. Might not have been what they felt they deserved but it was likely very good money to walk away from. We shall see

• Hook 'Em 1

cdf74a29ee2342fb8fd9aa94aa175685.gif

For the record, I’ve listened to the Ticket probably longer than 99% of the people on this thread. I don’t listen because of politics.

I hate politics but especially MAGA. I simply got bored with it after Mike left and they broke up BaD radio. I just listen to golf and college football podcasts mainly.

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

For the record, I’ve listened to the Ticket probably longer than 99% of the people on this thread. I don’t listen because of politics.

I hate politics but especially MAGA. I simply got bored with it after Mike left and they broke up BaD radio. I just listen to golf and college football podcasts mainly.

The only people I see who complain about The Ticket and "politics" most certainly do not hate MAGA. They are MAGA and decry hosts becoming "woke." Most of what you call "politics" is them discussing current events, you know, kind of the thing they've been doing since they first went on the air.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 3:03 PM, Genco said:

That part of the segment bugged the shit out of me. Gordon's advice to Sirois last year when he hosted him on twitch was if you believe that you're underpaid then go out and get what you think you're worth. It sounded to me like they're emphasizing what they want to believe and setting up a narrative that Dan/Jake would have reneged if they accept a more lucrative offer from one of the other stations. Part of that petty "ticket vs. the world" bunker mentality.

And why wouldn't they accept a better contract from the Freak? Cumulus has been an overleveraged goatfuck of an organization since they bought out Susquehanna. They've used the station's culture as leverage against the hosts for 15 years. This was the second time Jake had to put in his notice since he got his dream job three years ago. And now they're expected to turn down a bigger payday that better reflects their worth? If those guys have a problem with Dan/Jake going to another station they should take it up with their bosses. Cumulus finally put a price on culture to someone who actually mattered at the station.

This is it 100%.

and I’m 92% sure they already have a deal in place 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Dan and Jake had a deal in place, I highly doubt they would have given the others the impression that they're just leaving to do a podcast. Especially Bob who almost left to do the same show at a different station. Nor do I believe the Musers and HL are doing anything to try to paint Dan and Jake as bad guys. And Gordo was right to Sirois in that if you don't want to wait around then you need to go out and get what you're worth. As we just saw, Cumulus is not about that. Nor are they about letting the hosts have a competing side-job. I know why they didn't because you know Gordo would be next in line to do it. 

I think it's very easy for Dan & Jake to spend the non-compete period seeing if they can replicate the money they made at the Ticket. The Freak will always be there...well until it won't because the plug gets pulled. I think it's a lot easier and more fulfilling for both to be their own boss than to be under iHeart's thumb. 

Edited by mdmost

21 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Gordo gave Sirois good advice. Applies not just to radio but any gig. I always told my best folks I will do everything I can to get you promoted when you’re ready. And if the company can’t take care of you then I’ll work with you to help you find a better gig elsewhere. Just be up front with me.

Cumulus doesn’t exist for its employees or its listeners. Same for any company. We all know this. Some of us just drink the ducking kool-aid.

We don’t have a clue what these two were offered, what they rejected, or what their real plans are short and long term. I am sure they were offered nice contracts monetarily. Might not have been what they felt they deserved but it was likely very good money to walk away from. We shall see

I'd have to hunt for it in my archive but when B&S did their podcast after leaving 105.3 they had Mike Rhyner on and he gave them the same exact advice. If you think you're worth more, go out and get it. B&S are unlistenable IMO but I give them all the credit in the world for going out on their own.