If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

https://texaslawbook.net/dan-mcdowell-jake-kemp-in-settlement-talks-with-the-ticket/

The owners of KTCK  “The Ticket” and former hosts Dan McDowell and Jake Kemp are close to settling a lawsuit over whether the duo’s new sports-talk podcast violates their noncompete agreement with the radio station, lawyers for both sides said Monday.

Informed that a settlement could be imminent, U.S. District Judge Karen Gren Scholer postponed until Aug. 29 an evidentiary hearing on a request by Susquehanna Radio, which owns The Ticket, for a temporary restraining order to silence the podcast called The Dumb Zone. Their afternoon show on The Ticket was The Hang Zone

• Hook 'Em 1

Hahaha yeah I've decided that Ticket Reddit is worse than any sports team's discussion board/forum. At least fans may have played the sport at one point in their life and there are so many resources to review games, film, etc. Not sure how many people bitching about the station/Cumulus actually know anything about the state of the industry and the business. 

Yes, Cumulus sounds like a shitty corporation. I'm not defending them but it is what it is. Welcome to the corporate world, especially radio in 2023 where it's an ongoing struggle. Hell, even major media networks like ESPN are feeling the dollar crunch and have had to lay off a lot of their talent. 

If you're a successful AM/PM drive host in a top market then you're probably doing good because that's where the money is made in advertising and audience. But if you're a producer/board op/etc. then the pay just won't be there for those roles. There's nothing that local management like Catlin can do about that because it's an industry-wide standard. Some companies might slightly pay more but in the end you'd still be better off financially working a full-time office/professional-type job. 

The fact that people are even complaining about a lack of a "bench" or "farm system" for a radio station is hilarious

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Juke_Em said:

Yes, Cumulus sounds like a shitty corporation. I'm not defending them but it is what it is. Welcome to the corporate world, especially radio in 2023 where it's an ongoing struggle. Hell, even major media networks like ESPN are feeling the dollar crunch and have had to lay off a lot of their talent. 

Certainly not my area but I've seen enough chatter from former Cumulus employees (not to mention bitching from Ticket hosts over the years) to form an opinion that Cumulus appears to be uniquely shitty in the industry.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

Certainly not my area but I've seen enough chatter from former Cumulus employees (not to mention bitching from Ticket hosts over the years) to form an opinion that Cumulus appears to be uniquely shitty in the industry.

Yeah I remember during Sirois' exodus tour he was on IJB sans Jake, and TC noted how the producers/board ops/etcs at 105.3 made 2 and 3 times what the comparable positions made at the Ticket. When TC was doing tickers he made the exact same amount (~25k) as what ticker guys in the mid to late 90s made and we're talking over a 20 year time span in between.   

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

They’re going to rehash all the behind the scenes legal stuff in their podcasts and look like the business idiots they are. Or as part of their mediation, they’ll be prohibited from talking about it, and Cumulus will have done them a favor. I’m so bored by their ongoing saga. 

55 minutes ago, RPM said:

You're invited to go elsewhere for your sportstalk in our estimation.

I don’t want to go elsewhere. I want to stay here and post about it.  But I just keep seeing mediation updates and links to the fucking Mom Game podcast. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

1 post is all it takes to set you off? You're going to shit yourself when it's settled.

Oh try about 3 dozen posts. Shitting yourself is gratifying in the right circumstance.